Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Engine Shrouds

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by holybear
Heres another question, would you sell Engine Shrouds that are just PLAIN COLORS? Like its red or white or blue or something? like a shiny red or blue or white? possibly metallic colors? if some of us aren't intrested in getting carbonfiber, just a curious question? and if so would it be cheaper?
Not to answer for MB, but that is not the plan. He is looking to do CF, Red and black carbon kevlar as well as blue and black carbon kevlar. If you are wanting just a color on it, take it to a paint shop and have them paint your stock one.

And MB, sorry if I steped over the line, just thought I would answer the question. Keep us up to date, and believe me, I know what it means to be busy!! Thanks for all the hard work on this project.

Jason
Old 07-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count me in too!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:01 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Ok guys...vendor status approved and ready to go. Details to follow and a link to the buy section where I will post it! Mike
Old 07-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Ryan Christopher

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Ok guys...vendor status approved and ready to go. Details to follow and a link to the buy section where I will post it! Mike
Sweet, what are we looking at as far as time from when we pay till we get it? Also MB, I will be going to Nopi Nats in Atlanta again this year, wanted to know if the company that is doing this makes other parts and if so do they have some cards I could give out?

Also look how sweet the official vendor looks under his name!!!

Jason
Old 07-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Instructor

damn I don't even have a TL(hopefully buying in a couple weeks) and want this
Old 07-14-2006, 12:25 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...00#post4951900

LINK TO BUY PAGE>>>>LETS GET GOING!!!!!!

THE BUY IN IS NOW ON!!!!! One shipped out already!

Old 07-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Really Really Like This Peice, But For $260 Shipped You "should" Get The Other Remaining Covers (all) Included (just My Opinion).
Old 07-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Ryan Christopher

Originally Posted by dave0935
I Really Really Like This Peice, But For $260 Shipped You "should" Get The Other Remaining Covers (all) Included (just My Opinion).
You have no clue on what it takes to make a part like this do you? The CF alone is starting to run $50 a yard. Then you have the time in it to make the mold, there is a lot of labor there, I know, I have made molds. 260 for a piece like this is great. That is with shipping. Try to make a piece like this yourself then come back and tell us that it should include all of the under pieces. Even easier start by trying to make anypart out of CF.

Don't mind him MB, thanks again for the part and can't wait to see it. Money sent!!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:12 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

uh....we also do an Audi TT engine cover and full underhood covers - 4 peice set total....and we get $750 for those....so I think you may be a little off? Check the Lingenfelter site.....covers there go for like $350+?

http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/ssrcfcover.html

So....I think this is probably a fairly competitively priced item myself....they will sell you a COATED one for $265? Which means they will laminate CF to your plastic cover...which in fact...wont last for long as most things under the hood are NOT good applications for lamination.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:54 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm in on the buy... but it certainly isn't cheap. Just for comparison...

350Z cover: $192
http://www.stillen.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=1035140

Here's another: $150
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-UP...07668175QQrdZ1

BMW $180
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-BMW-Ca...QQcmdZViewItem

Civic for $55
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-05...07204220QQrdZ1

But we all know, volume = cheaper... This is a one off thing for us.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:47 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Kennedy
I'm in on the buy... but it certainly isn't cheap. Just for comparison...

350Z cover: $192
http://www.stillen.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=1035140

Here's another: $150
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-UP...07668175QQrdZ1

BMW $180
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-BMW-Ca...QQcmdZViewItem

Civic for $55
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-05...07204220QQrdZ1

But we all know, volume = cheaper... This is a one off thing for us.
NONE of the engine covers you have listed here come near to the size of the TL cover though...the 350Z cover comes semi-close....but the TL cover is still larger as it has a back side, thus another $50? Then I am also tossing in postage, ect. I mean...I dont know what to say man...PLUS...when I do a search on Carbon Fiber Engine Covers for the 350z....of course....there are no less than a million suppliers of them too? The 350z engine cover is also a 1/2 cover....its not the whole thing. (350z does not have a full cover on the engine) If you were to add the back side to it....you would be at about $400...the cost of their 3 peice kit...which uses about as much CF coverage as our ONE full engine cover does. So I would again...disagree. You have to compare apples to apples. I mean...I could park my car next to a TSX and say..."The TL is about $5000 more though"....and in fact...the TL is a bigger car with more materials involved to build...so it would only make sense that it would cost you more?

Look...I am not saying these are cheap...never stated that....but I hate having to justify the cost of something that is so competitively priced? Trust me...I have done the research....checked out what was out there...ect... BEFORE engine cover #1 was made, or I would not have even pursued it. I wouldnt rip you guys off here....but if you feel that it is unjustifiable to pay $260 for a hand made CF engine cover ....then by all means...dont buy it. But this is the first I have heard that as the proposed price before postage was $250 about 6 pages back somewhere as we were developing this thing...and I just sent one out and postage was $21.45 due to the size of the box...if you do the math....that means I collected roughly $239.00....then paypal wanks out there fee...so then you have about $230 left. $20 under my original target cost. See what I am saying?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:04 PM

Payment sent!
Old 07-14-2006, 04:38 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
NONE of the engine covers you have listed here come near to the size of the TL cover though...the 350Z cover comes semi-close....but the TL cover is still larger as it has a back side, thus another $50? Then I am also tossing in postage, ect. I mean...I dont know what to say man...PLUS...when I do a search on Carbon Fiber Engine Covers for the 350z....of course....there are no less than a million suppliers of them too? The 350z engine cover is also a 1/2 cover....its not the whole thing. (350z does not have a full cover on the engine) If you were to add the back side to it....you would be at about $400...the cost of their 3 peice kit...which uses about as much CF coverage as our ONE full engine cover does. So I would again...disagree. You have to compare apples to apples. I mean...I could park my car next to a TSX and say..."The TL is about $5000 more though"....and in fact...the TL is a bigger car with more materials involved to build...so it would only make sense that it would cost you more?

Look...I am not saying these are cheap...never stated that....but I hate having to justify the cost of something that is so competitively priced? Trust me...I have done the research....checked out what was out there...ect... BEFORE engine cover #1 was made, or I would not have even pursued it. I wouldnt rip you guys off here....but if you feel that it is unjustifiable to pay $260 for a hand made CF engine cover ....then by all means...dont buy it. But this is the first I have heard that as the proposed price before postage was $250 about 6 pages back somewhere as we were developing this thing...and I just sent one out and postage was $21.45 due to the size of the box...if you do the math....that means I collected roughly $239.00....then paypal wanks out there fee...so then you have about $230 left. $20 under my original target cost. See what I am saying?
Easy killer.

Don't have to explain it to me. I think it's an interesting data point as to what these WOULD cost if there was higher demand... but as I stated, volume = cheaper... Since this is a one off item, it's gonna cost more.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:53 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Easy killer.

Don't have to explain it to me. I think it's an interesting data point as to what these WOULD cost if there was higher demand... but as I stated, volume = cheaper... Since this is a one off item, it's gonna cost more.
No..I think you missed my point...you were not comparing apples to apples...thats all I am saying. Look at the Stillen cover for the 350z.....it runs $192 right....and uses way less materials to make given its smaller size. Then you posted some very very small covers, right....that use even less materials to make and directly compared the price to the TL cover as if there was a point to be made of how the price would come down. Now if you follow that same stillen link to the other covers for the 350Z....now THAT is getting close to the material used in the TL cover when you net both of em out.....BUT...they want $400 for the other package? Now tell me that $250 is not a fair price? Trust me man...I would sell em cheaper if I could! CF materials are expensive!
Old 07-14-2006, 04:54 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
You have no clue on what it takes to make a part like this do you? The CF alone is starting to run $50 a yard. Then you have the time in it to make the mold, there is a lot of labor there, I know, I have made molds. 260 for a piece like this is great. That is with shipping. Try to make a piece like this yourself then come back and tell us that it should include all of the under pieces. Even easier start by trying to make anypart out of CF.

Don't mind him MB, thanks again for the part and can't wait to see it. Money sent!!
Thanks! I will get it out to you ASAP. Mike!
Old 07-14-2006, 04:55 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Old 07-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Anthracite TL

Hey MB, maybe it is also helpfull if you can post the DIY installation of this shroud.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:47 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by techdiver_monkey
Hey MB, maybe it is also helpfull if you can post the DIY installation of this shroud.
Oh...sure....not a problem. Its very very easy! Its three screws and two push downs...and bam...your there! I will work on that and get one up.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:31 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Here is the first outside install....member here on AZ...look NICE on his setup too!!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=55
Old 07-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Man that looks freakin amazing and the price seems pretty decent. I had some carbon lower fairings for my bike and while they may have been larger they were way way more expensive. I promised i wouldnt mod the TL and would save for the house but this is making it hard haha Sorry for no sale here but i just wanted to let you know how well they came out Good luck with the sales
Old 07-15-2006, 06:23 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Man that looks freakin amazing and the price seems pretty decent. I had some carbon lower fairings for my bike and while they may have been larger they were way way more expensive. I promised i wouldnt mod the TL and would save for the house but this is making it hard haha Sorry for no sale here but i just wanted to let you know how well they came out Good luck with the sales
Thanks! Much appreciated!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:17 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Here is the first outside install....member here on AZ...look NICE on his setup too!!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=55

that looks really good. if i didnt always have my engine shroud off i would jump on this. good work putting everything together.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:29 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Bump
Old 07-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

poor baby. i'm sure the guy took his time in producing this "masterpeice". i, for whatever reason am just making a comment, one of which was that i "really really like this peice", just my , however, probably wont buy now, b/c of your , your welcome
Old 07-16-2006, 05:06 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

poor baby. i'm sure the guy took his time in producing this "masterpeice". i, for whatever reason am just making a comment, one of which was that i "really really like this peice", just my , however, probably wont buy now, b/c of your , your welcome
I understand. Thanks for your too! Have a nice day!
Old 07-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Wink

Hey Mike, do you have these on the shelf or is there still a backlog?

I work in Indy and I'm also involved in racing so was wondering if I could save you some shipping costs! :wink:

Cheers

Sodde
Old 07-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm in!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:13 AM
B A N N E D

If your looking to paint your engine shrouds, I talked to a professional and he suggested sand papering your shrouds, (all of them i prefer) and make sure its smooth and ready for paint. then apply a firm coat of URETHANE PAINT, because paint chipps off of plastic easily, and use urethane and it will stay on, if your intrested in doing that instead of carbon fiber, i think carbon fiber looks AMAZING, but if your not into carbon fiber, you are able to paint, Dont spray paint a coat of primer and then reg paint on your engine shrouds, it will chip easy and quick!.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:56 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

If your looking to paint your engine shrouds, I talked to a professional and he suggested sand papering your shrouds, (all of them i prefer) and make sure its smooth and ready for paint. then apply a firm coat of URETHANE PAINT, because paint chipps off of plastic easily, and use urethane and it will stay on, if your intrested in doing that instead of carbon fiber, i think carbon fiber looks AMAZING, but if your not into carbon fiber, you are able to paint, Dont spray paint a coat of primer and then reg paint on your engine shrouds, it will chip easy and quick!.
A bit off topic as this is a thread for the development and sale of the CF cover....but thanks for the info?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Ryan Christopher

It is a bit off topic, but since you bring it up. The proper way to do it is to first clean the part, this will require some rubbing alcohol. If the part is really oily, from Amoral or Son of a Gun, then you may need to get something a bit stronger. Once the part is clean, you will need to spray it with a adhesion promoter. This will help to bond the paint to the plastic. This is what I always use when I paint plastic parts. I get it from the automotive paint store. Once you have a few good coats of AP on it and it is completely dry, then you can start spraying your base. After a few coats of base, you can throw the clear on it. Now keep in mind, I am not doing any of this with a spray paint can, I am using color matched PPG automotive paint.

If you really want, you can add a couple of coats of flex primer in between the AP and the base. Not needed but wont hurt.

Jason
Old 07-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Ryan Christopher

Item received!! It is fire!!! Here are some pics.

Thanks again MB!!! Awesome!!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 06:32 PM

Looks great Black_05_TL_6SP. Mine came today as well, Hopefully I'll get it cut to fit the s/c this weekend.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:53 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Item received!! It is fire!!! Here are some pics.

Thanks again MB!!! Awesome!!!!
WOW! That looks great with all the other work you did! A+ man!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:55 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

A few pics of the RED cover that I have finished...

Old 08-17-2006, 10:07 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Thread Closed. MANY MANY PAGES OF BABBLE as this was the research thread before I started making the product. I will start a new one with all the relevent info on the first page....