3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Engine Shrouds

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 04:13 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Shouldnt be long now and I will have some solid answers for you guys! And possibly a test peice to show pics of too....woo hoo!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good Count me in...
Old 04-04-2006, 01:25 AM
Anthracite TL

<----- Really interested if the price is right. Update on the price please
Old 04-04-2006, 01:33 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I will let you know as soon as I verify.....working on it! Thanks for your interest too! This is still being developed and should be complete soon and you can find details here as they develop out. Then we will have to get some formalities taken care of at the same time which you will see develop out here too. Just keep a watch here on this thread!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
I will let you know as soon as I verify.....working on it! Thanks for your interest too! This is still being developed and should be complete soon and you can find details here as they develop out. Then we will have to get some formalities taken care of at the same time which you will see develop out here too. Just keep a watch here on this thread!

Thank you for the update!
Old 04-04-2006, 05:55 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

got an update....things are working out just great...this is going to happen for sure....I have met with the carbon fiber people today and they will begin production on the first runs tonight if everything goes well. They will be available in Black first...followed by Red if people want red carbon fiber or blue carbon fiber...but these will be made on a special order basis as we have more black CF materials available and I dont want boatloads of colors left nor extra covers. I need to test fit the first one and run with it for a bit to make sure it is all good and proper.....then we will release product for general public. Keep in tune and I should have a final cost posted within a short period...again...still looking at the $250 - $260 range! Nothing has caused it to increase...which is a good thing! Also...if you think you would want one of the colors....shout out here too so I can kind of preplan now!

Contacting Soopa now for details of what I need to do to keep everything proper here too.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interested!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Chief

Interested as well!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:20 AM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds good. I know its purely looks but would be hot to see on a TL. At least I could maybe pop my hood at a meet here and there
Old 04-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
you know Im down for this Mike...
Old 04-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Advanced

I think the red would look hot with the NBP. Just outta curiousity whats the upside or downside to these? Purely for looks is what i am assuming, but do they weigh more than the factory covers? Maybe dumb question but i dont know
Old 04-06-2006, 09:22 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Tufferson
I think the red would look hot with the NBP. Just outta curiousity whats the upside or downside to these? Purely for looks is what i am assuming, but do they weigh more than the factory covers? Maybe dumb question but i dont know
Ah...no question is a dumb question! As far as weight goes...that would remain to be seen but I would expect them to be about the same to a shade lighter....either way it is a negligible weight factor (OEM plastic or carbon fiber) involved....in fact...it is more a looks thing cause the carbon fiber gives it a nice finished look!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:43 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

What's the latest? Have you had any conversation with him regarding this potential product?

I think red/black weave would look really good on my NBP
Old 04-06-2006, 10:58 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by ITL
What's the latest? Have you had any conversation with him regarding this potential product?

I think red/black weave would look really good on my NBP
Yes...be patient. It is forthcoming. Should be available within a short time. I have a guy working on it now. BTW...did you read the page 2 at all? This was only 2 days ago dude?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
in
Old 04-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

in
Old 04-06-2006, 12:41 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Yes...be patient. It is forthcoming. Should be available within a short time. I have a guy working on it now. BTW...did you read the page 2 at all? This was only 2 days ago dude?
Sorry, bro. I thought I had been following this thing, but somehow missed post #46, which has all the latest details. Thanks for your work on this project!
Old 04-06-2006, 01:09 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by ITL
Sorry, bro. I thought I had been following this thing, but somehow missed post #46, which has all the latest details. Thanks for your work on this project!
Oh...no problem at all my friend! Latest Latest is...the mold work is being prepared and remade...the stock part has a textured finish that must be worked out in order to make the part properly so when it comes out it will have the proper smooth finish that carbon fiber peices have and not a textured look like the OEM. I should have a pic to post of the prototype if I can get my hands on it next friday! Woohoo! Then it will either be re-worked if needed (test fit necessary to verify fitment and application) or put into "production" so to speak and we are off and running. Its working through the paces! The prep work is very time consuming...soon as this is complete....I think we are really gonna be looking good when they come out...and that has already been started.

There is gonna be black CF ones first...then red....followed by blue if anybody wants that, given I get the details worked out with the admins here on AZ. Working on that now also.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:19 AM
Instructor

Ditto on the Interested!
Old 04-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Drifting

Interested!
Old 04-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Intermediate

Another interested TL'r
Old 04-07-2006, 10:56 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

You can email me at mbenz@insightbb.com if you wish to have pics of the prototype emailed to you or need additional information....it should be here within a few days. Michael

If you are wanting red or blue color....let me know too. I know of one red so far....all others black.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:36 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

I'm leaning towards the red at the moment to go with my NBP. Does he have any examples of his CF work in colors other than black?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

in if the price is right. also, when you get pics, can you post them?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:48 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

bump for an update
Old 05-16-2006, 05:49 AM
Drifting

Mike- PM pics to me, trying to decide black or red.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Just a question... when installing the supercharger, do you have to modify the engine cover at all? Just wondering in case this might affect some people who will add the S/C after buying the CF cover.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:12 AM
321 whp SAE

Originally Posted by zax123
Just a question... when installing the supercharger, do you have to modify the engine cover at all? Just wondering in case this might affect some people who will add the S/C after buying the CF cover.
yes you do.. a little cut out on the lower right side
Old 05-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Tint The Windshield

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking 1st Roster List Of Interestd People !

With this many people interested (and I'm sure more have to jump on once we post a thread in the group buy section) we have to get a pretty low a$$ price for a group buy!!!

MichaelBenz I sent you an email from my AOL screen name. Please send pictures. Thanks.

Interested People:

1. MichaelBenz
2. ludachrisvt
3. SonnySoMoney
4. TL-CrAzIe-05
5. Meek32v6
6. TL-Rocks!
7. flvol77
8. dragonlord
9. hndaracer159
10. Spiritman
11. havokgroup
12. Tufferson
13. madehtsobi
14. RJANACONDA
15. dan.....k
16. blktl1
17. lembowski
18. Black_05_TL_6SP
19. AcuraVic
20. invincible569
21. TLdriver022
22. ITL
23. Weekendzs
24. techdiver_monkey
25. Silver Bullet
26. TL-CrAzIe-05
27. trancemission
28. DeadLock
29. xtin
30. CAHobbs
31. NGNOUS
32. Laxplaya11385
33. AcurasGhost
Old 05-16-2006, 03:50 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by AcurasGhost
With this many people interested (and I'm sure more have to jump on once we post a thread in the group buy section) we have to get a pretty low a$$ price for a group buy!!!

MichaelBenz I sent you an email from my AOL screen name. Please send pictures. Thanks.

Interested People:

1. MichaelBenz
2. ludachrisvt
3. SonnySoMoney
4. TL-CrAzIe-05
5. Meek32v6
6. TL-Rocks!
7. flvol77
8. dragonlord
9. hndaracer159
10. Spiritman
11. havokgroup
12. Tufferson
13. madehtsobi
14. RJANACONDA
15. dan.....k
16. blktl1
17. lembowski
18. Black_05_TL_6SP
19. AcuraVic
20. invincible569
21. TLdriver022
22. ITL
23. Weekendzs
24. techdiver_monkey
25. Silver Bullet
26. TL-CrAzIe-05
27. trancemission
28. DeadLock
29. xtin
30. CAHobbs
31. NGNOUS
32. Laxplaya11385
33. AcurasGhost
Thanks...I know I am interested guy> I am having them made now and they are in production. I have a deal setup for Vendor status here now with Astroboy that as soon as I can ship these babies out...you will be the first to know and yes....a group buy will be iniated with special pricing for the first comers. As far as a "low ass price"....you dont want that when it comes to CF parts (trust me).....I mean you want fair....but not cheap....cause thats when corners start being cut for profit, ect. Last I heard...still on track price-wise with no increases expected as the first one has been made already....I just have to get over there and test fit it and run with it for a while to make sure there are no unforseen rattles or vibrations or anything. I will snap some pics and get em up here for you guys to see.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Recently turned 18

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another good deal for the 3G TL guys. Put in a good word for us "lowly" 2G CL owners.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah...no question is a dumb question! As far as weight goes...that would remain to be seen but I would expect them to be about the same to a shade lighter....either way it is a negligible weight factor (OEM plastic or carbon fiber) involved....in fact...it is more a looks thing cause the carbon fiber gives it a nice finished look!
Most importantly, CF isn't used not only for it's reduction in weight, but for it's resistance to heat which may or maybe a good thing to use it as an engine cover.

For example, on my sportbike, I had put on an aftermarket carbon fiber exhaust can. So not only did I shave some weight (compared to the oem steel cans) but I also didn't have to worry about any of my lady passengers or myself hitting the exhaust by accident then burn ourselves since CF does not conduct heat well. So in this application, it was good to have CF.

OTOH, like another member mentioned (I believe hondata), to help keep manifold temps low we should keep our engine covers off. This CF piece would essentially keep the engine hot since the heat will not transfer to the CF.

So basically, unless you plan on purchasing the thermoblock spacers and/or the hondata spacer (once it is released), it isn't a wise purchase unless your only into dressing up your engine bay IMO.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:38 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by special-ed
Most importantly, CF isn't used not only for it's reduction in weight, but for it's resistance to heat which may or maybe a good thing to use it as an engine cover.

For example, on my sportbike, I had put on an aftermarket carbon fiber exhaust can. So not only did I shave some weight (compared to the oem steel cans) but I also didn't have to worry about any of my lady passengers or myself hitting the exhaust by accident then burn ourselves since CF does not conduct heat well. So in this application, it was good to have CF.

OTOH, like another member mentioned (I believe hondata), to help keep manifold temps low we should keep our engine covers off. This CF piece would essentially keep the engine hot since the heat will not transfer to the CF.

So basically, unless you plan on purchasing the thermoblock spacers and/or the hondata spacer (once it is released), it isn't a wise purchase unless your only into dressing up your engine bay IMO.
This is something that we are/have been aware of for quite some time now. IAT is an issue definately....but the fact is...it appears that due to the reduced magnatude of the cover itself (CF vs Plastic)....this is not going to be an issue/hasnt been an issue up to yet here. I ran the first prototype cover for about two weeks and we put temp tape sensors on both the lower side of the cover itself as well as on the top of the manifold with basically...the same results either way? Trust me.....we wont come out with it if it causes problems....we could have slapped something together REAL quick if thats all it was...but this is a development process...it must be tested first to make sure it is of sound build and application BEFORE release....NOT after the fact! As far as IAT goes....this is something that you dont want to build up in ANY car....so this is not a good thing either way (High IAT Temps) but you wouldnt see companies like Lingenfelter (among many others) coming out with CF covers for high end cars if the application was not a good one....When it comes to supercharged cars....I think what their advise was is to run it without a cover alltogether as they had a problem with undue heat buildup on the top end due to the supercharger...but this has somewhat since been solved now too with the addition of a methanol/water injection system for about $248...so....there are options to this problem definately for the supercharged folks (will be joining you guys soon too). Either way....if you were doing a show...you would still want to slap a cover on it for the eye candy factor and fit and finish factor....

You are right though, this is an eyecandy thing.....I think most people understand this....its not like the negligible weight loss with this part is going to make HP or increase your times by any means! Its just looks nice as hell! Thats all! Not to mention if you show your car....it gets you good points as it gives it that custom look everybody is going for! Trust me...this is a good thing man!

Bottom line...its in the works guys....just hang in there and thanks for your continued interest! Again...a group buy will be initiated at the time of release so all the first comers will get a discounted price! This has been a long time in the works and it will come through for us! Again...thanks for your continued interest and support!!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Drifting

I just want to thank you for everything you're doing! I just wish I had the friends that a lot of y'all do (in the business)!
Old 05-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Fantasitic!......as long as no question is a dumb one....

Why in the world would you want to spend money for no additional performance? Under hood temps will be the same. I am taking my engine covers off.

Apparently this thread in the "performance area" isn't really about performance at all? Perhaps this should be under a "bling" part of the site.

Off to question the high flow cats......
-Lee

ps. Please take extra time to check my grammar and spelling.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:08 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by asu_lee
Fantasitic!......as long as no question is a dumb one....

Why in the world would you want to spend money for no additional performance? Under hood temps will be the same. I am taking my engine covers off.

Apparently this thread in the "performance area" isn't really about performance at all? Perhaps this should be under a "bling" part of the site.

Off to question the high flow cats......
-Lee

ps. Please take extra time to check my grammar and spelling.
Ah....I believe the section is PARTS and performance dude. Sorry to offend you...but not everything in this section is all performance. Thanks for your input. BTW....who pissed in your wheaties this morning man?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Tint The Windshield

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks...I know I am interested guy> I am having them made now and they are in production. I have a deal setup for Vendor status here now with Astroboy that as soon as I can ship these babies out...you will be the first to know and yes....a group buy will be iniated with special pricing for the first comers. As far as a "low ass price"....you dont want that when it comes to CF parts (trust me).....I mean you want fair....but not cheap....cause thats when corners start being cut for profit, ect. Last I heard...still on track price-wise with no increases expected as the first one has been made already....I just have to get over there and test fit it and run with it for a while to make sure there are no unforseen rattles or vibrations or anything. I will snap some pics and get em up here for you guys to see.
My bad for being so detailed in my list. And I wasn't looking for a "low ass price" but I was just stating that it will be a good deal. Money is not an issue for me ... especially something such as a peice of carbon fiber shroud.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Ah....I believe the section is PARTS and performance dude. Sorry to offend you...but not everything in this section is all performance. Thanks for your input. BTW....who pissed in your wheaties this morning man?
Actually the Parts & Performance subforum is for performance parts, not all parts. I usually move threads out of P&P to 3G when they are talking about just parts which do not affect the performance, like this one. I have been trying to decide whether to move it to 3G.

OK, as long as I'm in the thread and have it open, I might as well move it.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:56 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm in Mike...
Old 05-21-2006, 09:16 AM
FOR SALE - BM

<------ count me in... mike if possible, could you please sent pics to dmilillo@rcn.com

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Engine Shrouds