car wash question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006 | 10:00 PM
Cruisin'

car wash question

Hi, I am a proud owner of 06TL that I picked up a week ago. I have a day of tomorrow(finally!!!) and have decided that it's time to wash the car. The only problem I have is that i live in NY and Have to go to a car wash. The car wash that I usually use is a hand wash, no machines but there is still a moving rail that the car has to go on. Now my question is this, will those rails scratch my rims, as I have noticed that the tire profile is pretty low and the rims are almost flush with the sidewall. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2006 | 10:36 PM
Team Anthracite Member

First - Congrats on your new TL!!

In answer to your question, I'd see if they do a complete hand wash, where the car doesn't have to go thru the tunnel....

I know that out here (Los Angeles), certain car washes will pull your car into a bay and wash it, top to bottom, by hand.... It never sees the inside of the car wash tunnel.

It's worth a shot, and IMHO, worth the extra $ to keep your wheels safe!

I know NY isn't the best for weather, but how about washing it yourself? That way, you're responsible should anything happen during the washing/waxing process.
Old 02-09-2006 | 10:41 PM
Cruisin'

I wish I could wash it myself, but I live in a building, so no driveway and every car wash in my area has that rail thing. The only thing that i can think of is washing it at the gas station with one of those machines that you gotta put quarters in.
Old 02-09-2006 | 11:43 PM
Safety Car

There were a few incidents where the rail or something caused scratches on the OEM rims. Don't remember details and this was a while back. I haven't seen any recently reported incidents. You may want to run a search.
Old 02-10-2006 | 12:07 AM
6MT & LSD

Shouldn't be a real problem, unless you miss the rails by a lot.

Anyway, you might wanna check the forecast - I hear NY is expecting some snow this weekend.
Old 02-10-2006 | 07:06 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

We don't have any of the coin-op type where you use a wand around here; I would consider those ideal. I found one at a Mobil station where you pay, then enter a code using a keypad, then pull into the car wash bay and a machine moves all around your car. It's still touch-free, but your car doesn't move. There is a minimal guide rail for the left front wheel and I think I may have caused a small scratch pulling in there, but it's barely noticeable. If you can't find the coin-op type, this sort of place seems like the best alternative.
Old 02-10-2006 | 07:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NewAcuraGuy
Hi, I am a proud owner of 06TL that I picked up a week ago. I have a day of tomorrow(finally!!!) and have decided that it's time to wash the car. The only problem I have is that i live in NY and Have to go to a car wash. The car wash that I usually use is a hand wash, no machines but there is still a moving rail that the car has to go on. Now my question is this, will those rails scratch my rims, as I have noticed that the tire profile is pretty low and the rims are almost flush with the sidewall. Thanks in advance.
Where is this car wash that you go to with rails? I use a hand car wash place in Queens right off Utopia and they have moving rails. I have never had a problem with them at all. You should be ok.
Old 02-10-2006 | 02:25 PM
Pro

I am in the same boat as you are, in NYC. Even though my parking is open, still the mgmt does not allow any car wash inside. Ba$t^&*s have even put in cameras there.

Try the car wash on corner Woodhaven and Yellowstone Blvd. They have a couple of guys who do it all by hand. Just take your own towels for them to use to dry it. Don't let them EVER use theirs.
Old 02-10-2006 | 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have the spare on my rear right tire now, can i go through one of these washes too????
Old 02-10-2006 | 03:40 PM
Instructor

The car wash that my wife brings the TL to has a rubber piece along the rail to protect the rims. We don't have any scratched rims yet...
Old 02-10-2006 | 03:43 PM
Intermediate

I think someone posted this before, but if I were you go somewhere you can do it yourself. I live in Chicago, and it is not exactly car washing weather here, so I went to get my car washed today at the place I usually go to. It is a hand car wash and detail center and they have a history of doing pretty expensive cars, so I figure I am safe as I never have had an issue there before.....Until today!!!!!

They some how scratched my trunk!!!!!!! The scratch was about 8 inches long. The rag they used to dry it must of had some depris in it. I bring it to there attention, and they say are you sure it was not already there. I told them listen the car is a 1 1/2 months old has 1000 miles, and I know every inch of it, it was not there.

After some haggling they decide to try to buff it out. The guy works on it for about 5 minutes and brings my TL back to me. Well the scratch looks better but is is still visible. I tell him thats better but it is still noticably. He says anything more he can do will take about 40 minutes as it is a three step process, that maybe next time I come they can try to see what they can do. I said no way I will wait.

He looked stunned at that point that I was not leaving so I asked for the owner. At that point he took the car back and worked on it for a while buffing, waxing, using different creams and what not. Brings the car back to me and it appears the scratch is gone. Lets just hope it does not come back. Hopefully he got rid of it not just masked it. I have been going to this car wash for a long time, always took my G coupe there, but after this I am not going back. I will find a way to wash it myself.

Sorry to go a little off topic, but I needed to vent. I guess my point is, if you can don't trust anyone else to wash your car but you. Doesn't help that I have a NBP car, but that is no excuse for what happened.
Old 02-10-2006 | 03:54 PM
NY/NJ TL Crew

goto Oakley's Car Wash in sheepshead bay.. they do the best and they never scratch your car. They handle all top of the line cars there and i have never had a problem!!
Old 02-10-2006 | 05:08 PM
Racer

The rail never damaged my rims
Old 02-11-2006 | 04:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by arseny87
goto Oakley's Car Wash in sheepshead bay.. they do the best and they never scratch your car. They handle all top of the line cars there and i have never had a problem!!
Oakley's, yeah right dealt with those guys before, never again.
Old 02-12-2006 | 03:06 AM
Cruisin'

Also live in upstate NY. I wouldn't try it.

I've been checking the car washes out and watching the other cars go through. What I've observed is that the shoulder of the tire appears to protect the wheels from the rails on most cars.

The tires I have do not extend beyond the wheel. Therefore they'd be at risk.
I have both the 18" factory rims with the Yokos and the 17" factory rims with Nokian Hakka-4's (studded winter tire).

-mc
Old 02-12-2006 | 03:29 AM
Safety Car

If you really care about your paint, try looking for a detailing place. They usually charge about $20 for a mini-detail/wash and it is always done by hand. They also tend to use higher quality materials and it will reduce swirl marks in the long run.
Old 02-12-2006 | 06:59 AM
Senior Moderator

This belongs in Wash and Wax, you can continue the discussion there, and some professional detailers haunt that part of the board.