3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can anyone tell me what this guy has done to the amber lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can anyone tell me what this guy has done to the amber lights?

this looks great imo! i am not a fan of the ambers....i know you can tint, but is there someone out there that sells these?

Old 09-26-2005, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
he removed the amber, you bake the headlights, pry them open, pull the amber peice out, then re seal them
Old 09-26-2005, 12:52 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

that car is HOT
Old 09-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Racer

seriously? the amber can be peeled off?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Minarets
seriously? the amber can be peeled off?
it's not peeled off, it's a peice of plastic thats inside the housing that can be removed
Old 09-26-2005, 01:41 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rbf351
it's not peeled off, it's a peice of plastic thats inside the housing that can be removed
It is also illegal and many state inspections will fail due to this mod, so be careful, and think about it before doing it, or you will be purchasing new headlights with amber corners.

Also, If you get into an accident, insurance companies / lawyers may hold this against you as you modified the DOT/FMVSS specified and tested safety device (yes they are considered safety devices).
Old 09-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by need4spd
It is also illegal and many state inspections will fail due to this mod, so be careful, and think about it before doing it, or you will be purchasing new headlights with amber corners.

Also, If you get into an accident, insurance companies / lawyers may hold this against you as you modified the DOT/FMVSS specified and tested safety device (yes they are considered safety devices).

so how can other manufactueres get away with it?

i mean infiniti has the tiny tiny clear corner, that can be changed out...

ahhh well. it just ruins, well it doesnt ruin, but it looks so much better to be without the odd ball color coming from the car
Old 09-26-2005, 03:35 PM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
here in california its only against the law if you dont have an amber or white bulb as a turn signal in front. the lights can be clear as long as it still blinks amber or white. you may want to check your states' regulations though.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:28 PM
Cold Racketeer

Thing is what if it is clear looking, but the blinking LIGHT itself is amber in color? Isn't that legal in all states?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Racer

well, the more i look at it, the more and more i really beleive the clears set the car off. i would give anything for the factory to offer a clear lense with an amber bulb.. i do not want to take the front bumper off to do this.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:31 AM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by tzakiel
Thing is what if it is clear looking, but the blinking LIGHT itself is amber in color? Isn't that legal in all states?
For example, Mazda uses it (just saw one today at dealer's lot), so it cannot be illegal.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Cold Racketeer

I have always thought either clear or clear with smoke looks twice as good as stock headlights. I did a lil something last night I'll get pics up today that looks okay but not as cool as cleared.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

as long as it still blinks amber (either w/ clear corners and an amber bulb, or with an amber corner and a white bulb, or any other way to get the corner to blink amber) it is considered legal.

the only setback to me clearing out my corners is that phillips hasn't made their silvervision bulbs (http://www.supremepower.com/category...vervision.html) to fit the TL yet, so i don't want to have that "egg yolk" effect.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
as long as it still blinks amber (either w/ clear corners and an amber bulb, or with an amber corner and a white bulb, or any other way to get the corner to blink amber) it is considered legal.

the only setback to me clearing out my corners is that phillips hasn't made their silvervision bulbs (http://www.supremepower.com/category...vervision.html) to fit the TL yet, so i don't want to have that "egg yolk" effect.
incorrect

there needs to be an amber reflector in the front of the car and a red reflector in the rear of the car

that is why they lexus truck has completly clear tails but a red reflector in the bottom of the bumper

same for the front, it's all clear, and a tiny little orange reflector

and about light bulbs
the fronts have to clear or orange
and the rears have to be red for tails lights and red or clear for the blinker
Old 09-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Federal law mandates that from the side of your vehicle, one must be able to see amber in the front, and red in the rear in order to distinguish the front/rear of the vehicle. And this does not mean only when the lights are on. Even when the car is completely shut off at night, one must be able to see amber and red.

If your state requires inspections, then I wouldn't recommend doing it. Besides, it's not an easy process, leaving many places for errors which could lead to buying a new housing.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:54 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
does this look nice?

Old 09-27-2005, 01:15 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Federal law mandates that from the side of your vehicle, one must be able to see amber in the front, and red in the rear in order to distinguish the front/rear of the vehicle. And this does not mean only when the lights are on. Even when the car is completely shut off at night, one must be able to see amber and red.

If your state requires inspections, then I wouldn't recommend doing it. Besides, it's not an easy process, leaving many places for errors which could lead to buying a new housing.
Pure Adrenaline and RBF351 are both correct, it needs to be amber on the side of the car in both the on and off state, once you clear the fronts, you get rid of the amber reflector.

My words are only ones of caution, and that many people do not know this until it is too late and they fail inspection or have other issues on their hands.

If you get in an accident and there is no amber up front, they can use it against you.

Just look at my avitar, the blinker is clear, but the side is still amber as required by law (yes the blinker can illuminate amber/yellow, but the side still must be amber in all conditions).
Old 09-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by need4spd
Pure Adrenaline and RBF351 are both correct, it needs to be amber on the side of the car in both the on and off state, once you clear the fronts, you get rid of the amber reflector.

My words are only ones of caution, and that many people do not know this until it is too late and they fail inspection or have other issues on their hands.

If you get in an accident and there is no amber up front, they can use it against you.

Just look at my avitar, the blinker is clear, but the side is still amber as required by law (yes the blinker can illuminate amber/yellow, but the side still must be amber in all conditions).
Exactly. People often cite the BMW Sport Package w/ the clear corners. But you will note that the cars with the clear corners, have an orange reflector on the bumper. It's not just the blinking bulb that needs to be amber.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:47 PM
Advanced

I have checked with the local authorities in AZ and as people are mentioning, there needs to be some amber in the front. I have just cleared my lights and am actually working on a black chrome look instead of the flat black people have or just leaving them chrome looking. Based on my findings, I have modified/shortened up the amber lens so that it doesn't extend to the HID bulb. It will only have amber in the corner and the plan is to use a silver looking bulb that blinks yellow. I should have them reassembled this week and my Ron Jon kit project done by early next week and I will post pictures.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:00 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
does this look nice?

yeah.. if u got some rims