Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI & Standing Water

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
CAI & Standing Water

Quick question chaps: Drove my stock TL through a "high water" area in a blinding rain storm - didn't see the small pond until I got in it. Anyways, water never got inside the cabin; however, when I first entered the high water, it was splashing up onto my hood. Additionally, the engine was severely bogged down (or so it sounded) in this area until I got out of it.

I proceeded to higher ground which was covered and let my car idle for the next hour or two until the storm passed and the flooding subsided.

So, any risk of injury to my TL's engine? I know the stock CAI intake is mounted low on the front spoiler but I'm sure there has to be some sort of check valve which does not allow water to be sucked into the engine.

Thoughts?

It "seems" to be running fine after the incident but just thought I would get some thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it looks like you got real lucky. the splash shields probably kept a lot of the water out. if you didnt install an air bypass valve then you dont have any sort of check valve. i dont have one either i just try to avaid standing water.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Advanced

You probably had blockage from the exaust being under water not any problem from the CAI. Probably did more damage from unneeded wear letting your engine idle for that long when you got out of the water. If you had gotten any amount of water in the CAI the engine would have hydro-locked immediately and you would have done tons of damage. Yes, Acura did properly baffle the CAI to prevent problems.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Shift_faster

IMO, it should be fine. But it is still dangerous to try to "ford" a pond. An aftermarket CAI could have caused engine damage.

If it is running normal right now, it should be ok.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
The left front fascia is just the inlet for outsite air, which is fed by a duct to the engine air intake, the real CAI is inside the left engine bay.

Our CAI is supposed to help prevent water intruding the engine, however, it cannot really stop your engine getting hurt while you soak your car in the pond.

The engine should almost stop itself right away and be damaged if water runs into it.

Is your air filter completely wet?

Check Garage's CAI diagram, if water is running through where the engine air intake picks up air, it's bad news. If our CAI section in the engine bay is near-sealed, water probably could be sucked directly from the low left front fascia... (I doubt about this...)
Old 07-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Newbie for Life

Thanks for the quick replies. Never in a million years if I saw standing water would I drive through it; however, this was beyond my control.

As for letting my vehicle idle for that long of a time, it was 85+ or so that evening and was quite balmy so the A/C ran, and I was a bit worried that if I turned it off immediately after going through the high water that the car wouldn't start again later.

Letting my car idle causes damage to my car? Hmmm, interesting.....not sure I buy it, but interesting thought.

Well, as always, thanks for the informative replies....my mind rests a bit easier now.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by rets
The engine should almost stop itself right away and be damaged if water runs into it.

Is your air filter completely wet?

Check Garage's CAI diagram, if water is running through where the engine air intake picks up air, it's bad news. If our CAI section in the engine bay is near-sealed, water probably could be sucked directly from the low left front fascia... (I doubt about this...)
The engine appears to run fine now.

Great point with the air filter which I didn't think about checking and this happened Saturday night. I've checked the diagram and will check this out.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
i'm sure you'll end up with lots of rust down the road
Old 07-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
If it is the dtock system, don't worry - Honda/Acura designs are made with all sorts of drains and safeguards. The S2000 has a huge airbox, withy 3 chambers, and at least 2 of them are their just to reduce the ingress of water and large debris. I picked up a few ponies bu gutting the bafflkes with a Dremel, then carefuklky radiusing the small parts of the baffle I left to maintain structural integrity. With the Spoon cold-air duct down low, I pick up colder, denser air, and there is a slight pressurizatiuon at speed from the ram-air effect. The good news is that I still maintain a lot of the OE system's water tolerance.