Buzzworthy: A roundup of future product info from Vtec.net site...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004 | 07:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Buzzworthy: A roundup of future product info from Vtec.net site...

I've seen this posted in Vtec.net for a while, but it seems not to be forward here yet.

Buzzworthy: A roundup of future product info

Date: March 04, 2004 15:49
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: Various Sources
Credibility Rating: N/A

We obtain information regarding future products from a variety of sources throughout the year. Generally we sift through everything as it comes in and report on the stuff that holds some credibility. I thought I'd provide a snapshot of some recent developments and where the rumors stand as of today.

'06 MDX - With all the hubbub of the past few years surrounding the '04 TSX, '04 TL, '05 RL, and ''0? NSX replacement, we've sort of ignored what's going on with the development of the all new MDX, due next year as an '06 model. To be honest, we've heard virtually zilch about it. I would be shocked if Honda isn't planning to offer IMA across the board, in some form or another. The MDX would be a perfect candidate. I would hope to see a strong focus on improving the grade of materials selected for the interior. If all else stays the same, for Pete's sake find better fake wood!

'05 Acura RL - As you probably know by now, a prototype of the production '05 RL is set to be unveiled at next month's New York International Auto Show. As usual, the Temple of VTEC will be in attendance, delivering full coverage. Just recently we've heard some information from several diverse sources and the info seems to be fairly solid. Some of the stuff has already been "confirmed" (by logical interpretation of public statements), but some of it is new. In the first category is the drivetrain - we can say with virtually 100% certainty that it will be a V6 with AWD. The AWD system will almost certainly be based upon the Pilot/MDX's VTM system. One source (in our own forums) goes a step further and reports that the standard torque biasing will be 70/30 front to rear. Current horsepower estimates peg the car at around 300hp. We've heard a number of figures on displacement ranging from 3.4 to 3.8L, but our best guess is that it will use a 3.5L variant of the TL's motor. IMA does not seem to be a part of the equation at the time of launch. Other interesting tidbits: the RL will feature fairly extensive use of aluminum body panels: roof, hood, and trunklid. The car will also continue to build upon Acura's renewed emphasis on performance. The car is said to perform as well or better than the hot '04 TL (recall the TL 6MT's very impressive skidpad and slalom figures). Based upon our sources, it seems the car will be positioned lower than where earlier rumors had it pegged (those rumors indicated it would be a true 7-series, S-class or Lexus LS competitor). While the TL is positioned against the 5-series (yet priced like a 3-series), the RL will very likely fall somewhere in between the 5-series and 7-series in size. Pricing will probably not deviate too far from the current RL's pricing, and the content level will build upon the TL's segment-blasting features. We've heard a few reports that luxury items such as power adjusted rear seats will appear on the RL. It's our understanding that the car's audio system was not developed with ELS. I will personally be surprised if it surpasses the TL's superb ELS system. As in past Legend/RL models, the car's development was carried out almost entirely in Japan and it will be built there as well.

'05 Acura RSX - The RSX is due for an MMC (minor model change) this fall, and with its current sales pace, it's not a moment too soon. We have only bits and pieces of info on what the MMC will involve and are waiting for more information to corroborate with what we've heard before releasing any info. We can tell you what the RSX needs, however: 220hp 2.0L, 8500rpm, Limited-slip differential, stiffer suspension, lighter vehicle weight, high performance 17" tires wrapped around lightweight BBS wheels, Recaro seats, brembo brakes, Xenon headlights... Seems like Acura could pull it off.

'06 TL With the '05 RL launching with AWD, does that mean we might be able to get AWD in a TL? We haven't heard anything solid about that yet, but we hope it happens.

Acura Small SUV (RDX?) - There really isn't a lot of info on this vehicle yet. A few sketches have surfaced, the most recent appearing in Mag-X. Contrary to popular belief, it's almost a certainty that the "RDX" will be based upon the global-midsize platform (Accord, TSX, TL, Pilot, MDX, Odyssey) rather than the global-compact platform (Civic, Element,CR-V). Sources indicate that current plans are for it to be produced in Marysville, OH, with some Accord production moving over to East Liberty. In terms of the drivetrain, there's really not much solid info - some people are saying that it will feature a version of the TSX's 2.4L 4-cylinder motor, possibly incorporating IMA-assist, and (of course) AWD. This is pretty much exactly what was shown on the RDX concept, however, so I think things will change by the time we see the production car. Since it will apparently be based upon the global-midsize platform, I would think that a V6 might be offered. If so, I would expect it to be smaller than the MDX's V6. For what it's worth, word has it that development of the "RDX" began in the US, but has since shifted to Japan due to America's R&D resources being focused on the next generation MDX and Pilot development.

'05 TSX - There's not much to say about the '05 TSX. We don't expect any major changes for 2005. The current car is selling very well, so there is no impetus for Acura to change much of anything else. But we like the TSX a lot, and a lot of our nearly 200000(!) monthly readers seem to as well, so I thought I'd include it in this list here. That said, I would be surprised if the '05 car doesn't get the heated outside mirrors that the '04 forgot. An A-Spec package is currently under development for the TSX, but we don't have a release date yet. Our best guess is that it will be ready in time for the '05 model year, and possibly (hopefully) sooner. As for the wishlist, I don't expect to see this feature, but mirrors that dip down when you engage reverse (as in the TL, RL, and MDX) would be a nice touch. As the happy owner of a 2004 TSX, my personal dream would be to get a slightly stiffened TSX with another 40hp and Brembo brakes (and yes, I'm aware there's a TL available with 70 more hp and Brembos). Lose the painted-plastic-posing-as-metal trim. Everything else can carry on as it is. Mr. P., do you hear us? We'll be sure to keep you abreast of any solid developments
Old 03-04-2004 | 08:21 PM
never stops!

If 06 TL came with AWD. It will piss me off. :banghead:
Old 03-05-2004 | 01:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Lightbulb

Why?

Think about this way... you can buy it orupgrade... or wait for another two/three years to get next TL, which may have more mature AWD equipped.

If RL only comes with VTM system's AWD, that's not what I like. I'd like to have IMA system with AWD.
Old 03-05-2004 | 02:52 AM
Instructor

The mid-size import luxury class looks like it's really gonna heat up, with all-new Lexus GS, Acura RL, Infiniti M, and Audi A6 coming out in a year or so, the BMW 5 less than a year old, and the MB E less than two years old. Personally, I think they'll all sell well and have unique strengths, with no one or two cars dominating. All of this would be good for the consumers.

As an aside, I'm not sure why people fancy the TL as competing against the 5. True, the TL is closer to the 5 in size and room, but it's closer to the 330 in terms of everything else, such as features, performance, and price. Most people probably cross shop with the 3, rather than the 5.
Old 03-05-2004 | 09:06 AM
Intermediate

AWD is cool; however, for some of the more cost-minded it might not be the way to go. First, there's the gas expense/reduced range. AWD burns it up. Second, the wheel alignment and tire rotation must be 'just so'. Anything 'just so' means $$$$. This is based on my buddy's experience with a WRX. He loves it, but his description of the cost/maintenance steared me away from the concept.

I do; however, live in the desert. So, the only time I would benefit from AWD most likely is when driving up to CO in the winter.
Old 03-05-2004 | 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I would doubt AWD in the MMC. Mid Model changes are often a few easy-to-add features and facia changes, not an entire platform change. With 5 year models, we prolly won't see it till the 09 model.
Old 03-05-2004 | 12:34 PM
Instructor

Being in the Bay Area, is AWD really important to you?
I can see it in the snow belt, but do you drive at 9/10s or something where you would need the AWD? Plus, I don't mean to be a "Glass Half Full" guy, but after you run out of warranty, if you keep the car that long, you probably don't want to know what Center Diffs cost to rebuild or replace. There's more slipping going on in the clutch pack of the Center Diff, not like the on or off packs in an automatic, and I wouldn't think the life of the Center Diff. would match the auto. I don't know, I'm just talking crap. I've known a couple of people that have had to replace the center diffs in a couple of cars at around 120k, and the cost was BIG.
Anyway, hopefully, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
Old 03-05-2004 | 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I'd prefer RWD over AWD in the 06TL (at least as an option). Only thing it needs really. That and maybe a 3.5L engine putting out 350hp and 300lb torque.
Old 03-05-2004 | 02:04 PM
never stops!

Why? Because I wanted one and asked all the sales people in all the dealership if type S of RWD or AWD will introduced etc. I'm kind of a guy who keeps his cars 8-10 years and I buy cash down. I do not upgrade so often. However, reading again the original post I do not feel that bad. I mis-read 06 for 05. If it come out in 06 it will be okay but if it comes out in 05 then it will piss me off.