Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying from dealers away from home?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 03:29 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying from dealers away from home?

I live in Houston but have received internet quotes that are better deals from other dealers in TX (but outside Houston). I have the following concerns with traveling outside of Houston to make a purchase:

1) Will I be able to get service from a local dealer when I didn't buy from them? I am not going to want to drive to Austin or Dallas to get my car serviced under warranty if I need to.

2) How can I hold a dealer to an internet quote? The last thing I want to do is travel somewhere intending to make a purchase and then find out that I have been mislead and will not really be getting the deal that I thought I would.

3) Trade-in? If I drive my current car somewhere with the intent of trading it in and get screwed on my trade in value, it could increase my overall costs and essentially cancel out the good deal I got on the TL.

Any thoughts on these issues. I don't think that I can validate making a purchase outside of Houston unless I am confident that I can save close to $1,000.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) Of course. Your local dealers won't care whether you bought your car from them or not as they make money off your service requests.

2) Get the numbers in writing by fax or email.

3) It's best if you sell your car on your own-I did it at Carmax-got $2000 more than what the dealer quoted.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:42 PM
someone elses Avatar?????

I myself live in Cali and found that internet quotes aren't always the best, shop around locally and see what you find. If you push hard enough your local dealer will crack and give in to what you want (within reason), try saying that you got a better deal from another dealer see if they match or beat the price, if they really want your business they should. That's what I did

1) Will I be able to get service from a local dealer when I didn't buy from them? I am not going to want to drive to Austin or Dallas to get my car serviced under warranty if I need to.

Yes it shouldn't matter what dealer you got the car at they should service it anyway.

2) How can I hold a dealer to an internet quote? The last thing I want to do is travel somewhere intending to make a purchase and then find out that I have been mislead and will not really be getting the deal that I thought I would.

You really can't... And you wont... nuff said.

3) Trade-in? If I drive my current car somewhere with the intent of trading it in and get screwed on my trade in value, it could increase my overall costs and essentially cancel out the good deal I got on the TL.

That has various parts to it (how much do you owe on it, what condition is the car in, so on and so on..)

Any thoughts on these issues. I don't think that I can validate making a purchase outside of Houston unless I am confident that I can save close to $1,000.

if you think of it $1,000. amounts to about $20.00 more a month not to big a difference, not to me at least.

just my
Old 07-08-2004, 04:04 PM
SOLD

I am in an excellent position to inform you as I had almost the exact same situation, read on...

I live near Boulder, CO so I went to this dealership to check out the TL. Liked it and made it clear that I received an internet quote giving me around 1200 off of MSRP. Since they did not have my color combo desired (NBP/Camel/5AT) we filled out an order form quoting the price. Then as any smart buyer would, I informed them AFTER receiving the price that I had a trade in (97 MB C280, 93Kmi, 2K chrome wheels). I was hoping for 11-12K for my car as this was market value (without wheels), but wasn't expecting it. They offered me 6K! Deal breaker. They pressured me into putting a down payment for the order, and I told them 6K was very low and I would come back later. Kept the price sheet.

The next day I called Colorado Springs Acura (85 miles away) and informed the sales manager Leif that I was being screwed on the trade in. I informed him that I received a price quote already and he would have to match that and entice me to drive 85 miles. I told him I knew that I was looking for 11-12, but didn't expect anything under 8K (my target trade in anyways). I described the car briefly and he guaranteed 8K or more over the phone. The next weekend I had my TL! Make the dealerships work for your business!

As far as the other things go; I do get my car serviced at the Boulder dealership, no fusses about it. They cover everything warranty. Any dealer should service your car under warranty. Find a good service dept as both of the dealerships I dealth with are owned by the same people, but were completly different!

Good luck
Old 07-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Have you asked dealerships around Houston to match the deal from out of town? I got Gillman in North Houston to match an internet quote from Dallas. Its worth asking. Rosemarie is the internet salesperson at Gillman and I had a very pleasant experience dealing with her.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:11 PM
6th Gear

How can I get in contact with Rosemarie? I got internet quotes through Edmunds.com and they didn't have the dealer in North Houston as an option. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Team Anthracite Member

To get in touch with Rosemarie Diaz, go to Gillman's website. Select "new vehicle" and select "TL". There should be a small window that pops up with the option of "quick quote." Ask to speak to her directly. They will give you a generic quote upfront, but talk to her a bit and ask about matching a quote that you have received elsewhere. You can mention my name if it helps any. Good luck and let me knwo how it goes.