3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a performance package A-SPEC....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building a performance package A-SPEC....

I have my first oil change this weekend.
Was discussing the ASPEC vs non-ASPEC.
Once again, saw a Satin Silver like mine but with those dark wheels. Sorry folks, but it looks terrible. That's whyI did not get the complete package.

The service manager said that he was trying to build a different ASPEC package, which would include Comptech performance parts and the badge. That has been the most logical thing I heard yet, especially if it's Acura approved.

I asked them if they would take my wheels back if I purchased new ones from them for a huge discount of course. They have some nice SS with polished lips that would look nice on silver. Waiting to hear back.

Who knows.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Safety Car

i agree with you i was going to get the a-spec rims but didn't like it on the SSM car. something a little more polished would look nicer. i don't like chrome wheels but even the stock 17's color with a different style would be nice.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's why I got anthracite instead of silver. The 18" OEM's don't look right on silver. But, on anthracite, black and red they look fantastic.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Team Anthracite

thats why you get an anthracite... so the a-spec rims match
Old 06-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Racer

Caball.. You called it. The color of the rims are perfect. Just need a little more style with 18s.
Been trying to pick wheels for 4 months now.
Will get something eventually.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Racer

Also, On a nice day, the SS color looks almost electric when cleaned up. I Zainod the car last week. Looks fantastic.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

A-spec

Does the A-spec improve aerodynamics or is it just for show ?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Racer

Really just for show. Slightly improved handling, but that's it.
Not worth $5,200 extra.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:12 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Once I put a body kit on, 18inch Ron Jon rims, and my Comptech suspension, I wouldn't mind badging my car.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Racer

I bought the badge but waiting to see what the service manager is willing to build for a custom A-SPEC package before I consider putting it on.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nguyendminh
Does the A-spec improve aerodynamics or is it just for show ?
Yes, reduces drag and increases downforce. Admittedly, few can legally go fast enough to benefit from it, but it's nice to know that some performance engineering and windtunnel testing went into it.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by Michaelvg1
I bought the badge but waiting to see what the service manager is willing to build for a custom A-SPEC package before I consider putting it on.
If you have the badge and want it on your car, just stick it on. The dealer's blessing doesn't make it an A-Spec TL. Acura isn't going to approve of dealers cobbling together their own parts package and calling it A-Spec - regardless of what they tell you. Next step in that progression would be dealers charging $5K for a bodykit, chrome wheels, and springs (sounds like something a Ford dealer would do).
Old 06-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Racer

I already have the bodykit and deck spoiler and soon will be getting the 18" ronjon wheels as well with the ASPEC suspension ( I know some will scoff but...)to follow so the only things missing will be the steering wheel and badge (and the OEM 18"). I was thinking of going with the ASPEC wheel as the grips look like the might match up with some of MOMO shifters and Ebrakes.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:14 PM

How do you just buy the badge? How much is it?

I won't put it on my car until I have enough modifications to make it equal to an A-spec car, performance wise, but its nice to know that I can have a custom set designed myself and have the perfromance equal to that of the A-spec... even better once I but CAI in the car, and have a badge to show that my car is packing performance additions. No sleeper here... not that a TL can really be a sleeper

The only thing my car would be missing performance wise is Brembo's but they're just rediculously expensive and the stock brakes on an auto TL are very, very, very (did I mention very?) good. I stop extremely quickly, even when I am in an empty industrial park doing 100

As for the steering wheel, purely asthetic. I'll take a MOMO shifter and e-brake instead.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Aegir
Yes, reduces drag and increases downforce. Admittedly, few can legally go fast enough to benefit from it, but it's nice to know that some performance engineering and windtunnel testing went into it.
I highly doubt that the body package on the A-Spec reduces drag or increases downforce. The components would have to be significantly bigger. Look at the Mitsu Evo, Suby STi, Porsche, Ferrari... those all have spoilers that actually increase downforce, note that the spoilers are much bigger. The A-Spec components are just for looks. In my personal opinion it takes a handsome car with clean lines and makes it look boy racer... like a 16 yr old would do to his Civic. To improve handling, I am going to put the 18s and the A-Spec suspension and call it a day. Just my opinion though...
Old 06-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by captain
I highly doubt that the body package on the A-Spec reduces drag or increases downforce. The components would have to be significantly bigger. Look at the Mitsu Evo, Suby STi, Porsche, Ferrari... those all have spoilers that actually increase downforce, note that the spoilers are much bigger. The A-Spec components are just for looks. In my personal opinion it takes a handsome car with clean lines and makes it look boy racer... like a 16 yr old would do to his Civic. To improve handling, I am going to put the 18s and the A-Spec suspension and call it a day. Just my opinion though...
Sounds kinda farfetched? Maybe I just pulled it outa my ass. Or maybe:

"The aero parts do more than improve the car’s looks, too. How many aftermarket aero kits have ever seen the inside of a wind tunnel? This package actually lowers the coefficient of drag from 0.29 to 0.28 and reduces lift by 0.088, figures virtually unheard of among aftermarket body kits. Most bolt-on wings slow the car down like tiny, stylish parachutes. The A-Spec TL includes front, side, rear and underbody spoilers, as well as your choice of a decklid wing or spoiler on the trailing edge of the car. "

http://www.autoweek.com/search/searc...00726&record=1

Undercar air management can also contribute to reductions in lift - not just big spoilers, and it doesn't take a very large spoiler to increase downforce, but they look cool to some.

Feel free to continue doubting...

As far as appearance goes, I don't think my car screams "boy racer". I'm too old for that crap. Of course, appearance is subjective and to each his own.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Racer

Galeforce.
You can buy them on Ebay.
Cush Auto parts is selling them.
I ended up paying 26.00 plus 5.00 shipping. Not bad.
I don't want to know what the dealer paid.
I think I am putting it on. I drove an A-SPEC and did not see any real performance different than mine with stiffer springs. The brakes, no big deal since mine is an automatic. They can say they put on performance pads all they want. As for the steering wheel, it looks terrible. Cheapens it a bit.
In my area, I have not seen a TL with the kit yet, so who cares.
I have said it before, but dark wheels (OEM 18s) on SSM look horrible. They blew it with that one. Hoping they will take mine back and give me a deal on other wheels. RonJon will not bring his price down.
It it even came with fitting instructions.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Racer

RonJon will not bring his price down.
You got prices from Ronjon?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aegir
Sounds kinda farfetched? Maybe I just pulled it outa my ass. Or maybe:

"The aero parts do more than improve the car’s looks, too. How many aftermarket aero kits have ever seen the inside of a wind tunnel? This package actually lowers the coefficient of drag from 0.29 to 0.28 and reduces lift by 0.088, figures virtually unheard of among aftermarket body kits. Most bolt-on wings slow the car down like tiny, stylish parachutes. The A-Spec TL includes front, side, rear and underbody spoilers, as well as your choice of a decklid wing or spoiler on the trailing edge of the car. "

http://www.autoweek.com/search/searc...00726&record=1

Undercar air management can also contribute to reductions in lift - not just big spoilers, and it doesn't take a very large spoiler to increase downforce, but they look cool to some.

Feel free to continue doubting...

As far as appearance goes, I don't think my car screams "boy racer". I'm too old for that crap. Of course, appearance is subjective and to each his own.

You wonder why Acura does not post this info on their website. If the A-spec package actually reduces drag it would be beneficial to have the info easily obtainable.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I wonder if my dealer would sell me the A-spec struts and install them with comptech springs...
Old 06-08-2004, 11:26 AM

Galeforce.
You can buy them on Ebay.
Cush Auto parts is selling them.
I ended up paying 26.00 plus 5.00 shipping. Not bad.
I don't want to know what the dealer paid.
I think I am putting it on. I drove an A-SPEC and did not see any real performance different than mine with stiffer springs. The brakes, no big deal since mine is an automatic. They can say they put on performance pads all they want. As for the steering wheel, it looks terrible. Cheapens it a bit.
In my area, I have not seen a TL with the kit yet, so who cares.
I have said it before, but dark wheels (OEM 18s) on SSM look horrible. They blew it with that one. Hoping they will take mine back and give me a deal on other wheels. RonJon will not bring his price down.
It it even came with fitting instructions.
I can't find it anywhere on eBay

Wait, found one for 20
Old 06-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cTLgo
I wonder if my dealer would sell me the A-spec struts and install them with comptech springs...

Not a chance. The struts and springs come pre-assembled if I remember correctly. Only one part number for two items.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:49 PM
SOLD

Loooooooong

I have a NBP w parchment, and someone in my facility also has a NBP with Ebony that is ASPEC. He also has the gold lettering by the way.....NO GO on that, you would need gold wheels too, and that would look even worse. Anyway, I parked mine side by side with his, and there was virtually zero difference between the two looks-wise other than I have no spoiler and he has wing. Another note - we both have tinted windows(mine darker) and this car loos alot better wth tinted windows. The body kit is almost un-noticable, although his did sit SLIGHTLY lower than mine. Well we both left for lunch at the same time one day, he waited for me in the parking lot. Well our facility dumps out onto a 4 lane divided highway which is always busy and take a 90 degree turn to get onto, so you have to hurry. Both of us still squealed our wheels getting onto the highway, so im not sure how much the suspension helps, or maybe it's still those damn tires! Seeing the car go off (he was pushing it) I must say our sedan is FAST. Well I talked to my dealer at the time of purchase and my local dealer, and they both said ASPEC mods CAN be obtained individually. So I plan to get the suspension, and deck lid spoiler and save a couple G's.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Racer

Unlike Aegir, I don't have the proof and therefore I recognize that this post is speculation from your perspective... but I did read an article that stated that the A-Spec body parts were just for looks. Also, this would also explain why Acura doesn't list out these performance advantages on the site, because the advantages are potentially not real. I really don't see how they could be... but I am not an engineer, just an enthusiast. However, Autoweek is a pretty credible source. I hadn't heard that the A-Spec comes with any underbody parts? Can anyone confirm this?

I agree about the aesthestics, as I stated in my original post that is completely subjective and I was giving my opinion.

Also, to answer someone elses question... Dealer probably couldn't sell the struts alone (unless you could get them to call Acura and say the orginal (non-existent) springs were damaged in an accident) However, the struts can be had with other springs but you will have to buy the struts and springs and remove the springs and reinstall the other springs. The A-Spec struts come with the A-Spec springs already seated. From talking to a mechanic, seating the springs is alot of labor. Might not be worth it.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Racer

Again, the body kit does interest me if there is an underbody component, can anyone confirm and/or post pics of it?

Also, How many A-spec badges does the intact A-spec kit come with? If there is more than 1, where do the others go (other than the trunk)?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:24 PM