3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing US TL to Canada. Warranty transfer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Bringing US TL to Canada. Warranty transfer.

I became very interested in low US prices on TLs. The only problem for me is to have warranty available to me in Canada. Well as you already know it's not tranferable. I called Acura US and the rep was very helpful and explained to me the following:

2 options here:
1) Bring the car into Canada and do regular maintanance (oil change, etc) at local Acura dealership and do major work under warranty back in States. The nearest dealership to Calgary is about 1000km away, which will put some extra milage on my car. This has to be prior discussed with the dealership you are buying the car at otherwise they may refuse warranty service because the car is being used outside of the country. Get the official letter from acura and get them to sign everywhere so you have the proof of smth. for the future.

2) File the "compliance letter" to Acura and get the warranty transfered to Canada. You need US drivers licence, insurance and registration. In other words if you have a friend in states you can vertually live with him/her and get US drivers licence under his/her address. The Acura has to be also purchase in the same state as your address (your address has to match on all the documents). For this you need to fly to US twice. 1 to get your drivers licence and 2 to get the TL and drive it back to Canada.

It will take about 10 days to process the compliance letter at Acura.

I think that the 2-nd option worth tha hastle while having a nice holiday in States.

Few questions here:

Has anyone got the US licence as an exchange or showing the proof of Canadian one (I also have UK and Russian)?How long does the process take?
How long does it take to register a vehicle?
I assume the insurance could be done the same day, right?
Old 07-06-2006, 02:06 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Want to go Gray Market Shopping!

Be warned that you will have a hard time to get that US Dealer to sell you the car if you let him know it's for export to Canada as they can loose their dealership agreement with American Honda/Acura for doing it.

For Warranty issues, it is best to work out all of the details before you commit to the purchase.

For importing a car to Canada, see the following link from the Canadian Government;

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm

There might be required modifications before you can licensed this car in Canada.

Have fun.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Cruising in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The nearest dealership to Calgary is about 1000km away,
Are you from Calgary?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
The US TL I don't think has DRL's which you need here.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
The US TL I don't think has DRL's which you need here.

You are correct, the US TL has fog lights, the CDN Daytime Running Light.

They might need to modify the instrument cluster to read KM/H.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by eh? spec
Are you from Calgary?
Yes. I'm thinking to come and purchase 2005 Tl in states. Still saving of about $10000 after all fees.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:38 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you'll find by the time it's all said and done, you'll be better off just buying in Canada. I would imagine most of the loopholes have been plugged by now.

By the way, getting identification in the U.S. and not REALLY living here is one helluva big no no. I mean big time. You could end up in some serious trouble...and sitting in jail. The Patriot Act tightened that up so much you can't believe it. That's not worth any car.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CobraGuy
I think you'll find by the time it's all said and done, you'll be better off just buying in Canada. I would imagine most of the loopholes have been plugged by now.

By the way, getting identification in the U.S. and not REALLY living here is one helluva big no no. I mean big time. You could end up in some serious trouble...and sitting in jail. The Patriot Act tightened that up so much you can't believe it. That's not worth any car.
This all sounds very optimistic
Anyway, I have read alot and talked to people who have already done this. So it does actually save you tonns! And only about 3 days of hastle if you do it right with all registrations and inspections.

I will update you on this within 30 days.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Necser
This all sounds very optimistic
Anyway, I have read alot and talked to people who have already done this. So it does actually save you tonns! And only about 3 days of hastle if you do it right with all registrations and inspections.

I will update you on this within 30 days.
Does this include adding the DRL? Which the US TL doesn't have and are required here?
Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Cruisin'

Does this include adding the DRL? Which the US TL doesn't have and are required here?
It's only about $30 to add DRL. The rest is all good. You don't need to change the dashboard, bumpers or anything elce.

Another good thing that you don't need to pay 6% tax extra for cars that aren't made in the US. For TL all you need to cover is GST, PST (if you don't live in Alberta), Air cond tax $100, Registration $209 and inspection in Canadian Tire (to check that you have DRL installed). The only down side out this deal is the warranty. But we are dealing with Acura here! so nothing should go wrong
Old 11-24-2006, 11:11 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

2006's now come with DRL I think. You need inspection to get registered in Alberta, Insurance - not a problem. Don't tell dealer anything and you don't need to.

I'd love to get nav traffic up here in Canada but that will take few years until they install road sensors and link to system
Old 11-24-2006, 11:12 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

And if you ever need parts or anything , parts manager at Silverhill Acura (one of only 2 acura dealers in Southern Alberta) is VERY nice guy. He will offer you some discount although parts are still more expensive than States.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Actuary
And if you ever need parts or anything , parts manager at Silverhill Acura (one of only 2 acura dealers in Southern Alberta) is VERY nice guy. He will offer you some discount although parts are still more expensive than States.
Great! Thank you for the information. I think I will go with 2005 TL/NAVI. Not sure yet about MT or AUTO, as MT might have problems. Plus it will be easier to sell it in 2 years with AUTO as this is more popular. My end price here will be in the range of $27000 with upto 25,000 mi on the clock. 2005 TL with NAVI in Alberta is currently no less than $38000. I will sell it in 2 year for probably the same price as it will cost me now. The depriciation rate is pretty low on TLs.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Cruisin'

Jesstzn, you used to own a Passat? I'm also switching from my V6 Passat to TL. What are advantages/disadvantages of your new TL compared to Passat?
Old 11-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Necser
Jesstzn, you used to own a Passat? I'm also switching from my V6 Passat to TL. What are advantages/disadvantages of your new TL compared to Passat?
I'll pvt you as not to hijack the thread.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:24 PM
05 TL -Anthracite

I bought a TL from the US and brought it to Canada. Cost me a lot less then buying one locally here!! Yeah...I dont have a canadian warranty....however, if something major happens I'll get the car to the nearest US acura dealer in buffalo.
I am in Toronto. I bought a US 05 TL Navi Anthracite for $18,000 US. 13,000 Miles on it. Car was previously in a minor accident, but nothing major....looks and drives like new .with taxes and all the govt bs it worked out to $23,900 CDN.....the same car in Canada would have costed me over $30K.....so in my opinion it was well worth it!!
Old 11-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by musical1
I bought a TL from the US and brought it to Canada. Cost me a lot less then buying one locally here!! Yeah...I dont have a canadian warranty....however, if something major happens I'll get the car to the nearest US acura dealer in buffalo.
I am in Toronto. I bought a US 05 TL Navi Anthracite for $18,000 US. 13,000 Miles on it. Car was previously in a minor accident, but nothing major....looks and drives like new .with taxes and all the govt bs it worked out to $23,900 CDN.....the same car in Canada would have costed me over $30K.....so in my opinion it was well worth it!!
Have you ever had to go back to the dealer in States to do recalls or other warranty related fixes? I heard they aren't too happy about foreighn licence plates.