3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilping throttle when downshift using SS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilping throttle when downshift using SS?

this quesiton maybe asked...but i couldn't find a thread that's about this topic...
so...my question is on the title...does anyone bilp the thottle when u guys downshifting using SS?? does it hurt the tranny???
please delete my thread if it's duplicate..thx!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I don't. I expect my drive-by-wire-throttle-equipped car to do this exacting work for me.

Mike
Old 07-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by boringegg
this quesiton maybe asked...but i couldn't find a thread that's about this topic...
so...my question is on the title...does anyone bilp the thottle when u guys downshifting using SS?? does it hurt the tranny???
please delete my thread if it's duplicate..thx!!!
I must be missing something here. You can only "blip" the throttle when you are in neutral, or with the clucth pushed in. How would you do this on an automatic car? And why? An automatic transmission has a torque converter which negates the need for matching rpms.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Doesn't this technique apply for MT more than AT?

As I know blipping throttle is "quickly opening and shutting the throttle", without appropriately using the clutch, it's hard to perform this. Am I right?

I know this is must-learn technic for motorcycle, too.

In case you don't know what is "blipping throttle"...

A quick stab on the throttle to quickly raise the RPM's of the engine in order to downshift without damaging your engine or drivetrain. Done in conjunction with the clutch and brake during heel and toe. Best facilitated by moving your right knee to the right.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by rets
As I know blipping throttle is "quickly opening and shutting the throttle", without appropriately using the clutch, it's hard to perform this. Am I right?

I know this is must-learn technic for motorcycle, too.

In case you don't know what is "blipping throttle"...

A quick stab on the throttle to quickly raise the RPM's of the engine in order to downshift without damaging your engine or drivetrain. Done in conjunction with the clutch and brake during heel and toe. Best facilitated by moving your right knee to the right.

In case someone misses your subtle explanation, with its also subtle references to "the clutch", or the reply by jjsC5, you only need to blip the throttle if you have a MANUAL (OTHERWISE KNOWN AS THE 6MT) TRANSMISSION , and there is no need, and really no way, to blip the throttle with an automatic (5AT) transmission.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Team NightHawk VP

ive tried it with the 5at, it works, but you have to do it quick because the delay on the downshifting isnt that much.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
This is a technique that is used with manual transmissions and one which I have used as standard operating procedure since my late teens. I have written many paragraphs on this very topic and even submitted two papers in college on the subject.

If you are talking downshifting a manual transmission, there are certainly many ways in which to accomplish this procedure, but if you want to do it correctly, there is really only one way to do it.

If you want, I can post a collage of some of my text on this very subject, but I am quite sure I will get some negative feedback.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
This is a technique that is used with manual transmissions and one which I have used as standard operating procedure since my late teens. I have written many paragraphs on this very topic and even submitted two papers in college on the subject.

If you are talking downshifting a manual transmission, there are certainly many ways in which to accomplish this procedure, but if you want to do it correctly, there is really only one way to do it.

If you want, I can post a collage of some of my text on this very subject, but I am quite sure I will get some negative feedback.

We believe you, and agree that this is a viable method when used with a manual transmission.

However, the subject and topic of this thread is "Bilping (sic) throttle when downshift using SS?", SS being Sport Shift, meaning an automatic transmission is involved. So, we are not arguing about blipping a manual transmission, but are discussing, in this thread, the need, or even the possibility, of blipping an automatic transmission when downshifting.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To Ron A;

Yes, I know that. I was just offering some info whereby this technique could be shown to be of use.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cliff
ive tried it with the 5at, it works, but you have to do it quick because the delay on the downshifting isnt that much.

You cannot REV match a down shift /w an automatic tranmission, which is why you would blip the throttle in the 1st place. (excluding BMW's SMG, and some other computer controlled manual tranmissions)

It is impossible on an automatic tranmission. Regardless of what you think your doing.

Anyone who doesn't understand how automatics work would make a statment as such. The planetary gears and band sin the tranmission would never allow this to happen under normal operation.

Although the tranmission has a delay your *STILL* locked in the gear until it shifts. There is NOT a transisition period where the tranmission puts itself in a neutral position during shifts.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Blipping is not done when the clutch is engaged. It is silly and perhaps dangerous to do in an automatic, so my comments apply to manual trannies.

One blips the throttle in a simple gear change (not involving braking), it order to reduce shock load to the drivetrain, and also at high speed to reduce disturbing the suspenion (and the car's) "line".

Heel and toe (actually a misnomer, as most cars today are set up for rolling the ball of the foot rather than the using the heel and toe) is used when one needs to downshift AND brake simultaneously. The reasons are the same as a simple blip - to maintain car stability at speed, and reduce wear on the car). At hi perf driving school, they teach the WHY's first, then the HOW's. It really becomes automatic once you have done it right a few times, and stays with you through your lifetime. After a few minutes in any car, I can do it usually better than the owner.

Footwear becomes an issue for really competitive, consistent, and safe heel and toe'ing (goofing up on the braking part can be dangerous to you and others). I use Puma race shoes, which have soft leather, and no knobby protrusions to catch, and are just thick enough in the sole to give stability, but no so thick that all sense of pressure is lost.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by SiGGy
You cannot REV match a down shift /w an automatic tranmission, which is why you would blip the throttle in the 1st place. (excluding BMW's SMG, and some other computer controlled manual tranmissions)

It is impossible on an automatic tranmission. Regardless of what you think your doing.

Anyone who doesn't understand how automatics work would make a statment as such. The planetary gears and band sin the tranmission would never allow this to happen under normal operation.

Although the tranmission has a delay your *STILL* locked in the gear until it shifts. There is NOT a transisition period where the tranmission puts itself in a neutral position during shifts.

Wow, boss, it's honor to have your 1st over our forum... As I said above, I truly doubt how to use this technique without the clutch... at least, for me, I don't know how...
Old 07-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Blipping is not done when the clutch is engaged. It is silly and perhaps dangerous to do in an automatic, so my comments apply to manual trannies.
To even do it in an automatic the tranmissions has to be in a neutral position. Which does not happen between gear shifts.

And the reason to blip is to rev match the down shift.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Wow, boss, it's honor to have your 1st over our forum... As I said above, I truly doubt how to use this technique without the clutch... at least, for me, I don't know how...
1st of all, it's not my 1st post.

Read under my username. Want me to make it 65535 posts would that make this post any better?

If you knew how and automatic transmission works BOSS you'd know it's impossible without putting the car in neutral. I don't understand your boss comment?!?

Just stating facts...
Old 07-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Ot...

Originally Posted by SiGGy
1st of all, it's not my 1st post.

Read under my username. Want me to make it 65535 posts would that make this post any better?

If you knew how and automatic transmission works BOSS you'd know it's impossible without putting the car in neutral. I don't understand your boss comment?!?

Just stating facts...

I know you from CL, where you have more posts than we know, 1st = the beginning over TL, and BOSS=Admins, no offence but respect.

Thanks for your replies on this topic.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I know you from CL, where you have more posts than we know, 1st = the beginning over TL, and BOSS=Admins, no offence but respect.

Thanks for your replies on this topic.

Oh, my bad... sorry man
Old 07-15-2004, 08:39 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You blip the throttle to rev match on a manual tranny car. Double clutch.

I read on freshalloy that the 05 G35 sedan 5at will alow you to "double clutch" or blip the throttle so down shifting will be smoother.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1
Old 07-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtV6
You blip the throttle to rev match on a manual tranny car. Double clutch.

I read on freshalloy that the 05 G35 sedan 5at will alow you to "double clutch" or blip the throttle so down shifting will be smoother.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

I read that too (and responded). I think they are full of shit.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:27 AM
Intermediate

opps sorry guys...i think i shouldn't use the "bilp" in the first place...maybe i shoudl say rev matching by applying gas.....
mine is a 5AT....it's jsut that i'm trying make the car smoother when i downshifting from 4-3 or 3-2.....all i'm curious is that anyone does that?? or most ppl think it's unneceassary? cuz i'm not sure if i'm giving too much stress on the clutches in the AT tranny.....
and..no need to flame guys...=)
Old 07-16-2004, 02:02 AM