Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Wax to put on *top* of Zaino?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 06:46 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Wax to put on *top* of Zaino?

Ok. Just spent a lot of effort Zaino'ing the car (note: not time, just effort) Now, I want to put wax on top of it about every 2 weeks. Two reasons:

1. Want to add more 'depth'. Zaino is shiny but not very deep/wet looking.
2. Want to make Zaino layer last as long as possible.

With that in mind, I need recommendations for wax to use bi-weekly. Priorities are in this order:

1. Looks (deep gloss)
2. Ease of application (since it will be a bi-weekly thing)
3. Cost (wife not happy on money spent on my 'anal retentive cleaninig s---'
4. Easy to find (ideally found at AutoZone, PepBoys, Wal-Mart, Meijer, etc.)

Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont think you can or should wax on top of zaino. One of their steps involves removing all existing wax on the car (dawn wash). I usually put the rain X wax on my g/f's Accord, its quite easy to apply, fairly stain resistang and gives a nice shine. It can be applied wet. IMHO seems to work best that way
Old 04-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by maecrispy
Ok. Just spent a lot of effort Zaino'ing the car (note: not time, just effort) Now, I want to put wax on top of it about every 2 weeks. Two reasons:

1. Want to add more 'depth'. Zaino is shiny but not very deep/wet looking.
2. Want to make Zaino layer last as long as possible.

With that in mind, I need recommendations for wax to use bi-weekly. Priorities are in this order:

1. Looks (deep gloss)
2. Ease of application (since it will be a bi-weekly thing)
3. Cost (wife not happy on money spent on my 'anal retentive cleaninig s---'
4. Easy to find (ideally found at AutoZone, PepBoys, Wal-Mart, Meijer, etc.)

Any help is appreciated!
I think you have to whole concept of how zaino works out of alighment, go to the zaino site and get informed.. carnuba wax is ok while it last.. which it doesnt.. it melts away in a few days.. I wouldn't put any wax on top of zaino.. and if your not getting an "extreme" shine from zaino your doing something wrong.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EFlecha
I think you have to whole concept of how zaino works out of alighment, go to the zaino site and get informed.. carnuba wax is ok while it last.. which it doesnt.. it melts away in a few days.. I wouldn't put any wax on top of zaino.. and if your not getting an "extreme" shine from zaino your doing something wrong.
Actually I *do* get an 'extreme' shine. Almost too much really. Zaino gives me a shine that is hyper-reflective... almost plasticy (is that a word?)

A high quality show room wax (Souverän by Pinnacle, for instance) will give depth to the shine, what many call the 'wet' look. Zaino doesn't really look wet, just shiny. Most polymer sealants have trouble duplicating the wet glossy look that a good carnurba wax will give you.

As far as wax on top of Zaino, many of the detailers on the Autopia forums use some sort of topper on top sealants. I don't expect a wax to last months like Zaino (sealant) but some waxes out there (like Meguire's #26) will last 4-8 weeks.

I just wanted to get suggestions on what others are using since I have limited experience, Meguires #26 and #16 and Souverän mostly. I like the Meguires and esp. Souverän but it's too expensive (about $70 per tin.)
Old 04-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Put on multiple coats of z2 or z5 whichever one is the final

step for a normal process. You can also use the spray. The depth will increase with each layer you add. It will turn into a glass look. We use this on our TTs with amazing depth. You can also coat your clear bra if you have one in with multiple coats.
Zaino Pic
Old 04-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Instructor

ok. got more info.

Basically, some on autopia have said that you *can* put toppers (s100, #16, etc...) on top of sealant coats if you want... *except* Zaino in particular. They say Zaino just doesn't play well with others.

To be fair, once I put a topper on top of my Zaino (5 coats), I wouldn't Zaino again without having it stripped and prepped properly first.

Live and learn. I'll try Wolfgang next since it seems to play nicer with other products.

(donning flame suit) Zaino's alright but it's too... artificial. I always feel like my car's wrapped in plastic wrap and pictures on this forum just confirm it. Just my opinion and preference. Some like the super shiny look, I don't. Wolfgang has a deeper, more wet look. Doesn't last as long as Zaino though.

Since I plant to strip and prep the car anyway, I'll probably just leave the Z alone until it wears off.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Racer

isn't the zaino process as follows:

Strip
Polish
Wax

I thought you first polished with one of the zaino products and then at the end applied a wax
Old 04-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fishacura
isn't the zaino process as follows:

Strip
Polish
Wax

I thought you first polished with one of the zaino products and then at the end applied a wax
That's generally the procedure. The diff is that Zaino isn't a wax, it's a polymer sealant. So basically, I've now got multiple coats of Z-2 that nothing will stick to.

If I want to redo everything, I'll have to strip everything off and start again.

That's why I was hoping to use a 'topper' on top of the Zaino to give me the look I want without having to strip everything. I can still do that if I want. I've heard s100 is a decent topper on top of Z-2 although not very durable. Souveran is supposed to be amazing but @ $70/tin, too much for bi-weekly use.

So strategy at this point is to let Zaino wear off, then strip, prep, and use the WG polish and sealant.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you tried using Z-6?

It's a spary (looks like water) that adds tons of wettness. If you've read "Zaino for Dummies" you may already have this informatoin.

Mike Smeezy
Old 04-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Team SSM driver

ok. got more info.

Basically, some on autopia have said that you *can* put toppers (s100, #16, etc...) on top of sealant coats if you want... *except* Zaino in particular. They say Zaino just doesn't play well with others.

To be fair, once I put a topper on top of my Zaino (5 coats), I wouldn't Zaino again without having it stripped and prepped properly first.

Live and learn. I'll try Wolfgang next since it seems to play nicer with other products.

(donning flame suit) Zaino's alright but it's too... artificial. I always feel like my car's wrapped in plastic wrap and pictures on this forum just confirm it. Just my opinion and preference. Some like the super shiny look, I don't. Wolfgang has a deeper, more wet look. Doesn't last as long as Zaino though.

Since I plant to strip and prep the car anyway, I'll probably just leave the Z alone until it wears off.
I went the Zaino route on my Porsche & switched to NXT on my TL. I did two coats of NXT & after I wash with the NXT wash this weekend, I'm putting #16 on. Read about this on autotopia also. The cost & ease in my mind is much better than Zaino & hopefully will give me the look & protection I want.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vffr1
Have you tried using Z-6?

It's a spary (looks like water) that adds tons of wettness. If you've read "Zaino for Dummies" you may already have this informatoin.

Mike Smeezy
hey Prez ,

Yup. I use and love Z6. It does add gloss to Z-2 but even with Z-6, it's still not deep enough. I saw what WG did to my friend's silver 330xi and I want that look. Zaino just won't give it to me. Z does have a really shiny look and I've gotten complements but just not for me. Of course, our TL paint isn't quite as good as his 330's but still...

I still (and will continue to use) Z-6 on the windows. I'm also going to try it as a QD for WG products. My friend isn't impressed with the WG QD.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:08 PM
Racer

What is WG? Have a site with info???
Old 04-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by porsche911
I went the Zaino route on my Porsche & switched to NXT on my TL. I did two coats of NXT & after I wash with the NXT wash this weekend, I'm putting #16 on. Read about this on autotopia also. The cost & ease in my mind is much better than Zaino & hopefully will give me the look & protection I want.
NXT looked good to me too. It actually came down to NXT and WG. Just depended on whether I wanted to go wax or sealant. I've heard nothing but good things about NXT.

I also use NXT wash. Excellent stuff if you do the 'take the nozzle of your hose and let the water sheet' thing. Thinking of trying QEW as washing your car with just a gallon or two of water would be incredible.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fishacura
What is WG? Have a site with info???
WG = Wolfgang

Similar to Zaino, it's a polymer sealant. Lasts much longer than typical wax (although from what I hear not quite as long as Zaino.) Most say it should last about 4 months.

Has a different look than Zaino. Not necessarily better, just different. Zaino gives you a very shiny, reflective look. Wolfgang gives you a deeper, more liquid look to your paint, especially for dark colors. Both are great products.

For starters, look here for info:

http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html
Old 04-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Racer

Thanks! Any experience with Meguiars cleaner/wax? Poeple here told me that works more than well enough and is cheaper/easier than these multiple coat products.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by porsche911
did the NXT wash off? i have yet to put this stuff on but if it doesn't hold up well i would apply the #16 as well.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Team SSM driver

Originally Posted by caball88
did the NXT wash off? i have yet to put this stuff on but if it doesn't hold up well i would apply the #16 as well.
I haven't done the NXT wash & #16 yet, but I'm sure the NXT wax (polymer) won't wash off. It is suppose to be Meguiars longest lasting paint sealer product, their "Next Generation", or something like that....
Old 04-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Racer

Is there a certain time that should be waited to put on all Zaino products after buying a brand new car?? Arent you not supposed to wax a new paint job for quite some time???
Old 04-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DopeTL04
Is there a certain time that should be waited to put on all Zaino products after buying a brand new car?? Arent you not supposed to wax a new paint job for quite some time???
It's up to you really. In fact, a lot of times it's easier to put Zaino on after you just get a new car.

The big thing with Zaino is prep. The paint surface has to be absolutley clean and contaminant free. That's why they recommend you wash the car with Dawn (to remove waxes and other product buildup), claying (to remove contaminants from the paint), and then polish and seal.

Zaino has a rep of being difficult and complex but really, it isn't. If you prep well (which you should do anyway for any sealant regimen), Zaino is no more complicated than other products.

Some request that the dealer *not* detail the exterior of the car upon delivery since most dealers just put on a wax which you can't have if you want to start with Zaino.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Racer

It's up to you really. In fact, a lot of times it's easier to put Zaino on after you just get a new car.

The big thing with Zaino is prep. The paint surface has to be absolutley clean and contaminant free. That's why they recommend you wash the car with Dawn (to remove waxes and other product buildup), claying (to remove contaminants from the paint), and then polish and seal.

Zaino has a rep of being difficult and complex but really, it isn't. If you prep well (which you should do anyway for any sealant regimen), Zaino is no more complicated than other products.

Some request that the dealer *not* detail the exterior of the car upon delivery since most dealers just put on a wax which you can't have if you want to start with Zaino.

Thanks! Where can I find this Zaino stuff?? And what is it that I exactly need to get??
Old 04-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DopeTL04
Thanks! Where can I find this Zaino stuff?? And what is it that I exactly need to get??
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Assuming paint is prepped and in great condition:
$$ = Z-2 (polish/sealant), Z-6 (QD, gloss enhance)
$$$ = above + ZFX (faster cure times)
$$$$ = all above + Z7 car wash

If paint is moderate to bad condition, add to above:
Dawn dishwashing soap (remove previous products)
Z-18 Clay Bar
Z-5 (removes swirls although there may be better products for this problem)
Old 04-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

What others would you recommend for swirl removal?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Assuming paint is prepped and in great condition:
$$ = Z-2 (polish/sealant), Z-6 (QD, gloss enhance)
$$$ = above + ZFX (faster cure times)
$$$$ = all above + Z7 car wash

If paint is moderate to bad condition, add to above:
Dawn dishwashing soap (remove previous products)
Z-18 Clay Bar
Thanks for the info. very usefull!!
Old 04-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acur8ly
What others would you recommend for swirl removal?
One that I've used before on my other cars is Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner & Polish (DACP). Works pretty well. Another is Poorboys SSR1 but I have no first hand experience with it.

In my experience, DACP worked a bit better than Zaino's Z-5.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info