Racer

cont.
Old 11-20-2003 | 01:56 AM
Racer

cont 2.
Old 11-20-2003 | 06:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Honda ?? Advertise ?? Tout ?? LOL

If Honda made even one fun commercial they'd double sales. Seems they spend all their marketing money in engineering, which isn't bad, we get the benefit, but no one recognizes it during car debates.

But the Accord made #1 in sales for one year, and is a neck and neck #2 when it's not, with very little advertising so something is working, but just think where it could go.

Oh well.. at least we know to buy them.

And the TL commercial is just boring as hmmm.. a Camry.

I don't like the Altima for the god awful tail lights, but the commercial is at least fun, spin to a stop and show some speed.
Old 11-20-2003 | 08:59 AM
Banned

I prefer a 'mature' advertising to a kiddy 'zoom-zoom' image for example.
Old 11-20-2003 | 09:47 AM
Pro

I agree that I do not like the Toyota yelling and party ads, or the zoom zoom ads (except for the 6 that had the car sliding in the dirt to make a 6). However, the TL commercial is just plain boring. Making its own road? Come on, whats up with that?

I guess for the not sporty people it is a good commercial as it looks like a LAND YACHT!!
Old 11-20-2003 | 11:07 AM
Banned

The best car commercial I've ever seen is the british accord commercial where different parts of the car do a domino effect thing. They should hire those guys to do a commercial for here! That commercial is entertaining, unusal, intellectual, makes a point and is artfully done. Advertisers in the US could learn a thing or two!
Old 11-20-2003 | 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

The Cog

The commercial was/is named "The Cog".. do a google on it and you can find a million sites hosting it's wild. and all real, no CG. Wish we could get some fun stuff like that.
Old 11-20-2003 | 12:47 PM
Racer

Re: The Cog

Originally posted by Sherlock
The commercial was/is named "The Cog".. do a google on it and you can find a million sites hosting it's wild. and all real, no CG. Wish we could get some fun stuff like that.
I've read it is real, but there is a point where the wheels are rolling up the ramp where it looks like the laws of physics appear to be defied.

At any rate, it is very cool!

-r
Old 11-20-2003 | 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

the upward wheels

The wheels are heavily counter-weighted by glued-in piles of bolts and they are stood there exactly on the apex of gravity.. when the first is tapped, the bolts pull downwards on the uphill side with a LOT of weight, and starts the process. I read the whole layout.. 667 tries to make the commercial.. they were out of their minds by the end.

The wipers crawl across the floor cuz the Euro-Accord gets rain sensing windshield.

tis alllll real..
Old 11-20-2003 | 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: The Cog

Originally posted by acura_driver
I've read it is real, but there is a point where the wheels are rolling up the ramp where it looks like the laws of physics appear to be defied.

At any rate, it is very cool!

-r
The top of the wheel was weighted so that any force placed on it would cause the wheel to rotate forward. Yeah it does look pretty unbelievable.
Old 11-20-2003 | 01:53 PM
Pro

WOW!!

Now that is a commercial!

However, it does not show me how the car works etc, but it is a great one.
Old 11-20-2003 | 03:58 PM
Advanced

Here's the ad I would do:

Guy gets out of cookie-cutter sedan in a parking lot. Each car he walks by on his way to the office is a little nicer. Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Infinity, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche,... Some have stereotypical people emerging from the cars -- professional, well groomed, none of them smiling.

Never once does the guy turn his head. The second-to-last car is a screaming red Ferrari convertible. Even that doesn't get his attention.

The last car on the lot? Acura TL. An Average Joe gets out grinning from ear to ear whistling an Eagles tune, and shaking his head as if he can't believe his good fortune. Our main guy stops in his tracks, turns, and just stares. The owner of the car takes a couple steps, stops right next to the guy, turns his head back to look at his car and says softly with a little chuckle, "yeah".

The next scene is a close-up of a DVD-A of Hotel California being inserted and the sound of windows rolling down and the sunroof opening. Then a high overhead shot of the car tearing through some twisties while we hear "Life in the fast lane".

Yep, that'd be the ad I'd do.
Old 11-20-2003 | 04:23 PM
Advanced

Re: Honda ?? Advertise ?? Tout ?? LOL

If Honda made even one fun commercial they'd double sales. Seems they spend all their marketing money in engineering, which isn't bad, we get the benefit, but no one recognizes it during car debates.

But the Accord made #1 in sales for one year, and is a neck and neck #2 when it's not, with very little advertising so something is working, but just think where it could go.

Oh well.. at least we know to buy them.

And the TL commercial is just boring as hmmm.. a Camry.

I don't like the Altima for the god awful tail lights, but the commercial is at least fun, spin to a stop and show some speed.
Man, i have seen so many cool commercials by honda... Unfortunatly they are made for Europe... Go figure.
Old 11-20-2003 | 04:23 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jdriver

Guy gets out of cookie-cutter sedan in a parking lot. Each car he walks by on his way to the office is a little nicer. Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Infinity, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche,... Some have stereotypical people emerging from the cars -- professional, well groomed, none of them smiling.

Never once does the guy turn his head. The second-to-last car is a screaming red Ferrari convertible. Even that doesn't get his attention.

The last car on the lot? Acura TL. An Average Joe gets out grinning from ear to ear whistling an Eagles tune, and shaking his head as if he can't believe his good fortune. Our main guy stops in his tracks, turns, and just stares. The owner of the car takes a couple steps, stops right next to the guy, turns his head back to look at his car and says softly with a little chuckle, "yeah".

The next scene is a close-up of a DVD-A of Hotel California being inserted and the sound of windows rolling down and the sunroof opening. Then a high overhead shot of the car tearing through some twisties while we hear "Life in the fast lane".

One word for you, bud.

NICE!!!
Old 11-20-2003 | 05:33 PM
Pro

Originally posted by jdriver

And who would have thought someone from Oklahoma could come up with something that good!!!
Old 11-20-2003 | 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

S2000 commercial

I always had one for the S2000...

Show some desert road, late afternoon, and this blur goes across the screen on the road from left to right, with the sound of 9000rpm mixed with a cat screaming thru.. REEEEEOWWWW (add dopplar effect). Then the commercial fast rewinds back to the beginning.. you hear the screaming engine/cat again, and just as the blur gets to mid screen, it freeze frames, and you see a cat hanging onto the steering wheel by it's front paw, eyes bugged out, body flapping like a flag, screaming like 9,000rpm., it freeze frames for 1-2 seconds.. then zips back into blur and off the screen..

then: "the 240 horse, 9,000 rpm Honda S2000, one fast cat"

Just my sick head.
Old 11-20-2003 | 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

I bring up the Apple analogy again. Superior style, great GUI, $hitty marketing. Same with Acura. Great deal, great performance, $hitty marketing. Just my luck I like both Macs and TLs. I feel almost like I have to resort to evangelism like I did when Apple was sliding down the tubes in the mid-90's.

By the way, jdriver, you're hired! Awesome ad. ACURA, ARE YOU LISTENING?
Old 11-21-2003 | 06:49 AM
Burning Brakes

NeuronBob.. I still have my Amiga2000, how do you think *I* feel..

And I use the UAE (Ultimate Amiga Emulator) on pc, works pretty well.
Old 11-21-2003 | 07:30 AM
Instructor

The one Acura comercial I thought they did good with was the CL-S Manual Comercial a year ago about the guy and his wife going to look at a new house that just happens to be at the top of a nice twisty road.
Old 11-21-2003 | 10:26 AM
Racer

I liked the Cadillac ad where the woman has a special driving shoe. That at least made the car look fun to drive. None of the TL ads give that impression.

I think Acura shouldn't show the full car in the ad because the moment they do, the people who've already made up their minds about Acura will see it and change the channel. The best car commercials give hints and tease you a little. The TL needs to show off the things people don't normally associate with Acura. The commercial shouldn't have music or the same boring shots of empty mountain roads that everyone else has. It should show off the beautiful sound of that engine. It should show shots of someone changing gears. It should show a full shot of that incredible dashboard. It should do a close-up on that huge navigation system. And at the tail end of the commercial, it needs to show off the great stereo. Hotel California, as suggested above, would be an excellent way to end the commercial.
Old 11-21-2003 | 10:40 AM
Advanced

I agree with the above -- I totally tuned out the Acura ads while shopping. Acura just wasn't a car I was considering. Lucky for me I had a sharp salesperson who understood what type of car I was looking for and suggested Acura in spite of my insistance on RWD or AWD.
Old 11-21-2003 | 10:52 AM
Pro

Originally posted by HondaOnly
I liked the Cadillac ad where the woman has a special driving shoe. That at least made the car look fun to drive. None of the TL ads give that impression.

I think Acura shouldn't show the full car in the ad because the moment they do, the people who've already made up their minds about Acura will see it and change the channel. The best car commercials give hints and tease you a little. The TL needs to show off the things people don't normally associate with Acura. The commercial shouldn't have music or the same boring shots of empty mountain roads that everyone else has. It should show off the beautiful sound of that engine. It should show shots of someone changing gears. It should show a full shot of that incredible dashboard. It should do a close-up on that huge navigation system. And at the tail end of the commercial, it needs to show off the great stereo. Hotel California, as suggested above, would be an excellent way to end the commercial.
What great engine sound!! When I test drove the 6 speed, I redlined it a couple of time because I could not HEAR the car like I want. This thing is MUCH quieter than my Monte Carlo under acceleration. And my Monte is quiet when cruising. My Firebird is LOUD no matter what you do.....
Old 11-21-2003 | 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by HondaOnly
A variation on this is the current VW Jetta ad in which a child is born with the right foot 3 sizes larger than the left....and it turns out to fit the Jetta perfectly. It would have been nice to see Acura get this one first, as it takes more throttle effort to get more torque with the drive-by-wire system.

NeuronBob.. I still have my Amiga2000, how do you think *I* feel..
Did Gateway sell its Amiga production facility? It's too bad Amigas were ahead of their time, they weren't bad machines. And because the modern ones use Moto 680x0 chips, they can run MacOS 8 and under too (though it takes work...).
Old 11-21-2003 | 03:00 PM
Racer

jdriver: Great ad idea. You should send it to Acura's customer relations. You might be dissapointed to hear that The Eagles haven't sold any of their music to the advertising industry......yet.
Old 11-21-2003 | 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

vw commercials are stupid
Old 11-21-2003 | 07:11 PM

Ads can only do so much. U got to have the product to back it up.