Any definitive steering column rattle fixes yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004 | 11:10 AM
Advanced

Any definitive steering column rattle fixes yet?

I remember this was a hot topic a few months ago, and it seems to have dropped off. I did a search and those topics have disappeared.

Has anyone actually found out the cause and solved it? I know a few thought they had it solved only to have it return.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2004 | 11:13 AM
Safety Car

not sure what you mean by steering column. do you mean the vibrations from the poorly designed tires? if so do a search for "el42", they are replacing the tires on a case to case basis.
Old 04-05-2004 | 11:15 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

My rattling mostly subsided. That, or they've been overwhelmed by other rattling in the cabin. I can't believe how rattly this car is!
Old 04-05-2004 | 01:34 PM
Advanced

I am referring to the rattling sounds that appears to be coming from the steering column that sounds like marbles rattling when you hit sharp bumps. It was discussed extensively but it seems like those posts are not available for a search. Some people were happy that they had it fixed it only to have it return.
Old 04-05-2004 | 01:48 PM
oicu8sum2

I was one of the ones that had this steering column rattle. It has gone away now that the weather has warmed up. I'm counting on the fact that it will return when the weather gets cooler...don't ask me why it's just a gut feeling...now I have my left door panel and some new noise coming from the sunroof, oh, and the deck lid housing the subwoofer needs to have some more insulation added as it makes noise that reminds me of a blown sub every time the sub hits...(with the volume even at 15 and the sub set to +1)...My only complaint with the car is the minor rattles so I bought a Service Manual to get rid of em, everything else is on target IMHO...
Old 04-05-2004 | 01:49 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by orange-man
I am referring to the rattling sounds that appears to be coming from the steering column that sounds like marbles rattling when you hit sharp bumps. It was discussed extensively but it seems like those posts are not available for a search. Some people were happy that they had it fixed it only to have it return.
Yes, I was one of those individuals. I can't really find it anymore, but I have a rattle near the sun visor (only if you put it back incorrectly) and rattles around the doors. Sigh... it's only going to get worse I'm afraid.
Old 04-05-2004 | 03:28 PM
NBP - Public Relations

where do you get a service manual to fix the rattles yourself?
Old 04-05-2004 | 05:58 PM
7th Gear

Smile Steering Wheel Rattle

I took my car back three times for the horrible rattle coming from the steering column. On the second visit, I drove around the block with the service manager and he noticed it instantly. Upon inspection, they removed the air bag assembly and could here the rattle when shaking it. Bottom line is they ordered a new assembly, installed it and that rattle is history.
I don't know if this is at all common, but it is worth a try.
Old 04-05-2004 | 06:23 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by rdjsw
I took my car back three times for the horrible rattle coming from the steering column. On the second visit, I drove around the block with the service manager and he noticed it instantly. Upon inspection, they removed the air bag assembly and could here the rattle when shaking it. Bottom line is they ordered a new assembly, installed it and that rattle is history.
I don't know if this is at all common, but it is worth a try.
I did have a steering WHEEL rattle as well as a steering column rattle. The column rattle kind of disappeared on its own, while the steering wheel rattle was due to the horn connector and other wires rubbing against each other. They insulated that area twice (it came back a month later the first time) but never touched the airbag. They were scared to mess with the AB.
Old 04-07-2004 | 08:24 PM
oicu8sum2

Where to get your service manual...

Originally Posted by MikeyK
where do you get a service manual to fix the rattles yourself?
http://www.helminc.com