Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed About My New Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 06:52 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Needed About My New Ride

Well, my ABP 6spd, HPT, W/ Navi is finally built. It is due to arrive at my dealers anytime between today and Wednesday if everything goes smoothly.

My questions arises about a trip I am taking to Boston on Friday. I know that you should not beat on an engine within the first 1000 miles (many argue differently). But, do long distance trips have any negative side effects on a new car also? The trip will be friday and the car will only be a couple of days old. It is a 6 hour trip one way.

Any warnings about not using my new car for the trip and I will not do it. It it is safe to do the trip though, please give some advice or tips that I should follow while breaking in the vehicle.

I appreciate any help and thanks in advance!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Shift_faster

Vary the engine speeds. Since you have a 6MT, just shift once in a while to be sure that even if you can't vary your vehicle speed, you can still vary your engine speed so that you are not in one rpm range for a prolonged period. I don't think the long trip will be bad (unless someone can document otherwise).

Congratulations, I know you have been waiting on it.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Vary the engine speeds. Since you have a 6MT, just shift once in a while to be sure that even if you can't vary your vehicle speed, you can still vary your engine speed so that you are not in one rpm range for a prolonged period. I don't think the long trip will be bad (unless someone can document otherwise).

Congratulations, I know you have been waiting on it.
Thanks for the input -- I figured that would be a good idea, to switch gears and keep at the same speed so that you are changing your RPM's.

I also know that you should not use cruise control during the break in period.

Any other suggestions or experiences from you owners??
Old 08-30-2004, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,616 Likes on 2,195 Posts
I concur with what Poocha said. You should definitely not use the cruise control until after 600 miles, which is what the manual states is break-in. (The brake break-in is 200 miles).

Enjoy the ride, and post pix when you actually take possession!
Old 08-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I concur with what Poocha said. You should definitely not use the cruise control until after 600 miles, which is what the manual states is break-in. (The brake break-in is 200 miles).

Enjoy the ride, and post pix when you actually take possession!
What do you mean by "brake break-in?" Is there something that I need to know regarding using the brakes in the first 200 miles.

Sorry if I could find all of these questions out among the literature I recieve when I take possession of the vehicle -- but I would like to be well educated on anything that I need to do for this trip well before hand.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 09:24 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by stroutman
What do you mean by "brake break-in?" Is there something that I need to know regarding using the brakes in the first 200 miles.

Sorry if I could find all of these questions out among the literature I recieve when I take possession of the vehicle -- but I would like to be well educated on anything that I need to do for this trip well before hand.

Thanks
All I remember about the brakes, is not to have many hard stops, try to anticipate when you will need to stop, etc. etc. Continuous hard braking might be detrimental. I believe this is what neuronbob was referring to. If not, I apologize.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I don't want to come across as one of these "drive it like you stole it" people, but I think all the concern over breakin is highly over rated. Let's be serious, how many people do you know who wind up with engine problems that could be related to break-in or what kind of oil is used? Also, has anyone every run a calcualtion on how many times the pistons have gone up and down just in the first 50 miles? I just ran a quick estimate, and it looks like it would be between 150,000 and 200,000 (depending on speeds etc).

It is pretty well accepted that most wear on an engine is the first couple of seconds after you start it. Also, the main thing I concern myself with is not running an engine hard until it is fully warmed up. And coolant temp is not the best indicator. I have coolant temp and oil temp digital readouts on my Corvette. It takes about three times as long for the oil to reach normal temp as it does the coolant temp. You want the engine fully warmed up because the different internal components are going to expand and contract at different rates until the engine is completely up to normal operating temp.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Safety Car

i concur with the rest of the group and say vary the engine speed.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,616 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
All I remember about the brakes, is not to have many hard stops, try to anticipate when you will need to stop, etc. etc. Continuous hard braking might be detrimental. I believe this is what neuronbob was referring to. If not, I apologize.
Yup, that's exactly what I meant.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Advanced

So, let me ask. Would you guys hesitate to take a brand new car on the 6 hour trip?
Old 08-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did it with mine - just vary the speed - brake carefully until the pads are seated - and enjoy your new car - I guarantee that, despite the negative posts on this board by a relative few, YOU WILL LOVE THE TL.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:06 PM
ZHP 4CE

I recently bought a BMW from a dealer about 2 hours away from where I live, but the same principles apply to the TL. I was worried about the long stretch of highway miles and its effect on my breakin as well.

There are three main considerations:

1. Engine break-in: Like everyone else has said, vary the engine speed throughout the trip. Periodically downshift and accelerate and also decelerate with engine braking. This can get somewhat tiring on a long highway trip, but it's very important for seating your seals with consistent pressure. When I drove my car back, I'd wait to get to the start of a hill or overpass, downshift and accelerate until I reached the recommended max rpms, and then use engine braking to slow me down on the other side of the hill.

Don't worry too much about babying the car. Fairly hard acceleration (as long as you don't go out and floor it) is actually good for the engine.

2 & 3. Clutch and brake break-in: For the first 2-3 hundred miles, take it nice and easy on your brakes and clutch. Sudden, hard stops can actually warp your rotors at this stage and potentially cause other damage. Try to brake by applying gradual and even pressure. Similarly, take it easy on the clutch, but don't worry too much if you have any slips or rough shifts while you get used to the unusual clutch action on the TL.

I'd say take the trip and enjoy the new car while keeping the above suggestions in mind.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TLud
I recently bought a BMW from a dealer about 2 hours away from where I live, but the same principles apply to the TL. I was worried about the long stretch of highway miles and its effect on my breakin as well.

Another BMW owner with my $0.02 to add. Keeping a constant speed and varying RPMs might not be the best approach. Some will opine that modern engines don't need to be babied, the break in period now exists more for the benefit of the DRIVETRAIN.

Vary your RPMs, vary your SPEED and don't brake hard. If you have Brembos, do not sit at a stoplight with your foot on the brake pedal, use the e-brake. Some high performance brakes are so large that clamping them on the rotors will inhibit even rotor cooling and cause warpage! Personally, I believe that it's very highly unlikely, but I'd be careful in the first 1,000 miles or so.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:30 PM
Advanced

1. Engine break-in: Like everyone else has said, vary the engine speed throughout the trip. Periodically downshift and accelerate and also decelerate with engine braking. This can get somewhat tiring on a long highway trip, but it's very important for seating your seals with consistent pressure. When I drove my car back, I'd wait to get to the start of a hill or overpass, downshift and accelerate until I reached the recommended max rpms, and then use engine braking to slow me down on the other side of the hill.

Don't worry too much about babying the car. Fairly hard acceleration (as long as you don't go out and floor it) is actually good for the engine.

2 & 3. Clutch and brake break-in: For the first 2-3 hundred miles, take it nice and easy on your brakes and clutch. Sudden, hard stops can actually warp your rotors at this stage and potentially cause other damage. Try to brake by applying gradual and even pressure. Similarly, take it easy on the clutch, but don't worry too much if you have any slips or rough shifts while you get used to the unusual clutch action on the TL.

I'd say take the trip and enjoy the new car while keeping the above suggestions in mind.
Wow, very informational post and thank you very much for the advice. Everyone seems to say pretty much the same things. Seems simple enough, vary my speeds and gears and go easy on the brakes and clutch for the first few hundred miles.

Thanks again for the advice. Hopefully the trip goes smoothly and I know I will love the car.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

Dont go over 60mph for the first 1000 miles...and also..if you can...get an oil change done when you reach your desitnation...6 hours @ 60 mph = 120 hiway miles....so change the oil if you can or you can wait right after you come back from your trip
Old 08-30-2004, 02:11 PM
ZHP 4CE

Originally Posted by takkar
Dont go over 60mph for the first 1000 miles...and also..if you can...get an oil change done when you reach your desitnation...6 hours @ 60 mph = 120 hiway miles....so change the oil if you can or you can wait right after you come back from your trip
Not to nitpick or anything, but 6 hours @ 60 mph is actually 360 miles, but I agree with your general suggestion. Make your first oil change much earlier than the dealer recommended one.

Also, you can do more than 60 mph. No need to baby the car that much. It's not so much the speed, as it is keeping your rpms under a reasonable level (4500-5000, or whatever the manual recommends).
Old 08-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Shift_faster

Not to nitpick or anything, but 6 hours @ 60 mph is actually 360 miles, but I agree with your general suggestion. Make your first oil change much earlier than the dealer recommended one.

Also, you can do more than 60 mph. No need to baby the car that much. It's not so much the speed, as it is keeping your rpms under a reasonable level (4500-5000, or whatever the manual recommends).
I have formally audited this figure and come to the conclusion that 6x60 = 360. I agree with TLud on the other assertions as well. Once again, good luck with the car Stroutman.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by takkar
Dont go over 60mph for the first 1000 miles...
Not sure what the basis is for this advice, but I disagree.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stroutman
Well, my ABP 6spd, HPT, W/ Navi is finally built. It is due to arrive at my dealers anytime between today and Wednesday if everything goes smoothly.

My questions arises about a trip I am taking to Boston on Friday. I know that you should not beat on an engine within the first 1000 miles (many argue differently). But, do long distance trips have any negative side effects on a new car also? The trip will be friday and the car will only be a couple of days old. It is a 6 hour trip one way.

Any warnings about not using my new car for the trip and I will not do it. It it is safe to do the trip though, please give some advice or tips that I should follow while breaking in the vehicle.

I appreciate any help and thanks in advance!
you'll need to stop and let it rest every 60 miles or so. VTEC components need to break-in slowly...

dude, nothing you can do will break it unless you're gonna drive it like that rent-a-car race scene in Days of Thunder...
Old 08-31-2004, 11:53 AM
Cruisin'

ARE YOU GONNA KEEP IT FOREVER OR TRADE IT IN AFTER A FEW YEARS? IF YOUR GONNA KEEP IT, I WOULD AGREE WITH POOCHAKANNINC ABOUT VERYING THE ENGINE SPEEDS THROUGHOUT THE TRIP. BUT IF YOUR LEASING IT OR PLANNIN TO TRADE IT IN AFTER 4-5YRS, DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by AcuraTLInjen
BUT IF YOUR LEASING IT OR PLANNIN TO TRADE IT IN AFTER 4-5YRS, DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.
I don't like the concept that if you are leasing a vehicle you have no responsibility. I would still take care of the vehicle. I drive my cars hard, I corner aggressively, and I'm hard on the brakes at times, but I do not beat on it. I don't drive it without reason, or like I stole it. I am a firm believer in taking care of your cars whether you own them or not. Again this is just my opinion, it is not meant to be offensive.