Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura Petition

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Petition

It is obvious that this forum has been an effective tool for owners to share some of the problems they have experienced with their 04 TL. Has anyone thought of petitioning Acura to request a current status on the quality control issues identified in this forum? For example, peeling paint. Wouldn’t more people be inclined to buy a new TL if this problem has been corrected by Acura by a certain build date or VIN? While this petition would not benefit most people on this forum (current owners) it would be invaluable for people like me, debating which car to buy. Here are some of the quality control issues I have seen on this forum: Peeling paint, tires, multiple interior rattles, engine vibration, headliner, seat leather, rear visibility, floor mats, speaker buzz, seat memory.

What do you think?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Advanced

I agree, I'm holding off for a couple of reasons, the biggest is the paint. I love the car, the way it drives, features, and styling, the quality problems are an issue.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:58 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If I was in a pre-purchase mod like you too this would be nice info to have....

Being a current owner with 70 percent of the minor list you provided - it would still be nice info if the petition would even get a response beyond the typical....
Old 04-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by Racer-X
It is obvious that this forum has been an effective tool for owners to share some of the problems they have experienced with their 04 TL. Has anyone thought of petitioning Acura to request a current status on the quality control issues identified in this forum? For example, peeling paint. Wouldn’t more people be inclined to buy a new TL if this problem has been corrected by Acura by a certain build date or VIN? While this petition would not benefit most people on this forum (current owners) it would be invaluable for people like me, debating which car to buy. Here are some of the quality control issues I have seen on this forum: Peeling paint, tires, multiple interior rattles, engine vibration, headliner, seat leather, rear visibility, floor mats, speaker buzz, seat memory.

What do you think?
The name of the game is strength in numbers. If there is a member with strong writing skills. He should list in matter of importance, the problems that new buyers are experiencing. I would only list the defects where there is a pattern. ( leave out the isolated ones, if you wish )

Everybody wants a problems free car. Whether it is a 2004 or a 2005' I plan on ordering a 2005' in the fall.

Cypwood
Old 04-29-2004, 11:01 AM
User Registered

While it's a great idea... how many people would actually follow through.

I'd provide name, DoP (Date of Purchase), and VIN for a petition addressing overall and/or specific quality issues.

This unlike Honda/Acura to be of such poor quality.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had any issues I would go back to the DEALER where I purchased the car and would tell them to fix it. I think alot of these problems are people latching onto someone posting their SPECIFIC problems and assuming everyone with an early build has lousy build quality. Well I have an early build and NO PROBLEMS!
Old 04-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jss1
If I had any issues I would go back to the DEALER where I purchased the car and would tell them to fix it. I think alot of these problems are people latching onto someone posting their SPECIFIC problems and assuming everyone with an early build has lousy build quality. Well I have an early build and NO PROBLEMS!
Not dismissing those members with problematic TL's; however, I haven't had any major problems and only minor problems which I expect with a first year car. Fortunately, I haven't experienced any vibration problems or memory seat issues and I think my EL42's are adequate and quiet.

Sure, I've had an occasional rattle that worked itself out. Sure, my car has had a few problems starting due to the ULEV quirks. With those two minor problems in mind and I compare those to the great things about the TL, I would have to say that I think the car is great.

Plus, this forum represents such a small percentage of TL owners and more than likely most might be extremely happy with their purchase much like me.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by Jss1
Maybe your TL was made in a different factory, being that you live in Canada.
Did you read the fantastic 7 page review in a Canadian Magazine ?

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/...tid=19264&pg=7
Old 04-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

No offense to the good, well-intentioned comments in this thread, but...you're fucking kidding yourselves!

Acura is selling these things so fast the VIN is about to rollover to 00000 again. Yes, Acura SHOULD still listen to a handful of interested, concerned potential and current customers, but under the circumstances they almost certainly WON'T.

But good luck anyway!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Advanced

First, someone must explain to Acura what QUALITY means!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had one very minor issue and the dealer was responsive. Those with problems will disagree, but I don't think there are widespread quality problems with the TL. This forum does seem to be a collection point for those with issues, not a representative sample of owners. The people here are also far more likely to be car nuts (myself included) and more demanding than the average consumer. Sorry, but that's my observation.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

Just a quick note. I actually work on the assembly line at Honda of America where we build the 2 and 4 door accords and the acura tl. The Acura TL is only built in this plant it is not built anywhere else. Having worked on the line and also buying an Acura I can assure you that Honda builds one on the highest quality cars. Sure things happen all the time like a screw dropped under the carpet causing a rattle or vibration I know we all want our car to be perfect but the reality is things happen when you are doing a process every 57 seconds and a car is completely assembled in 2 hours. But overall Honda has strick policy on the quality and they can not watch the workers all the time. On the line things are checked and rechecked to assure quality and I am happy that I own an Acura
Old 04-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

If you folks go through with your plan to petition Acura on fixing so-called "issues", I'm going to create a petition to Acura to leave the car alone as it's perfect as it is.

I am truly sorry that a fraction of the 40,000+ TL owners tend to visit here and whine about the unacceptable characteristics of the car, but truth be told the picture that you're painting of the TL being some "buggy" vehicle is unfair, untrue, and is misleading to those who aren't getting 6+ month old TL's like you've got.

The car is perfect. You bought very early in the process and knew that you'd have some tweaks you'd have to live through. Deal with it. Or better, take it back to the dealer as it's their responsibility to make you happy. They're Acura. They'll do the right thing.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by boltjames
If you folks go through with your plan to petition Acura on fixing so-called "issues", I'm going to create a petition to Acura to leave the car alone as it's perfect as it is.

I am truly sorry that a fraction of the 40,000+ TL owners tend to visit here and whine about the unacceptable characteristics of the car, but truth be told the picture that you're painting of the TL being some "buggy" vehicle is unfair, untrue, and is misleading to those who aren't getting 6+ month old TL's like you've got.

The car is perfect. You bought very early in the process and knew that you'd have some tweaks you'd have to live through. Deal with it. Or better, take it back to the dealer as it's their responsibility to make you happy. They're Acura. They'll do the right thing.

I'd sign that petition. I love my TL. It's awesome! If I had to buy another car today, it would be another TL.

On my last (and I mean last!) Ford car, I averaged about one recall every six months. These weren't for squeaks and rattles. They were for scary things like seatbelts failing, airbag sensors failing, and throttle cables sticking. That car lost 90% of its value in six years. Maybe that helps put things into perspective.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:23 PM
2nd Gear

maybe the tl is poor quality becuz it's made in ohio?
Old 04-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by blingbling
maybe the tl is poor quality becuz it's made in ohio?
A. It's not poor quality.
B. Your name is 'blingbling'. I guess that makes you the Deming of our times or something? WTF?
C. Don't mess with Ohio. Your claim to fame is...what?
Old 04-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Cruisin'

Acura Petition

I am truly sorry that a fraction of the 40,000+ TL owners tend to visit here and whine about the unacceptable characteristics of the car...
There definitely seems to be some commonality with the quality control issues TL owners are experiencing which I am sure are not limited to those at this forum. A statement from Acura acknowledging these problems and there attempt to correct them would quell a lot of the concerns being registered daily at this site! Something that unfortunately will not happen.

Thanks to those who responded to this thread.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Good words, bolt!
Old 04-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Aegir
Your name is 'blingbling'. I guess that makes you the Deming of our times or something?
:lol1:

That is fucking hilarious. Thanks Aegir, I needed a good laugh!
Old 04-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Racer-X
There definitely seems to be some commonality with the quality control issues TL owners are experiencing which I am sure are not limited to those at this forum. A statement from Acura acknowledging these problems and there attempt to correct them would quell a lot of the concerns being registered daily at this site! Something that unfortunately will not happen.

Thanks to those who responded to this thread.
You see, that's where you're wrong. The only "commonality" is that the internet still is a place where those with issues are the most prevalent and not those who are just pleased as punch about their vehicles.

If you're happy with your refrigerator, you don't go to refrigerator-forums.com and start a thread that goes "Woo Hoo My Amana Is God!". You expect your refrigerator to function properly; no need to go online and chat it up with others who have cold milk. But if you're miserable because it broke down and no one from customer service returned your call, you start a thread that goes "My Amana Is The Devil". You whine and bitch and try to start a petition (sniff) because you're sooooo upset.

Same with the TL. It's a car. Even better, it's an Acura. It's supposed to function as good as (or better) than other luxury cars in its class. It DOES. The first few thousand off the line are going to have some rattles and some missing velcro. That's life. You bought a first year production car. You knew this could happen. Suck it up, hold back those tears, go watch Steel Magnolias, and call your fuc*ing Acura dealer, kittyboy.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by kgoessling
First, someone must explain to Acura what QUALITY means!
Forget it, revenue is all they are looking at, we with problmes are in the minority and I am sure well within Acura's statistical acceptable levels for a year 1 car. They are getting rave reviews and selling at a high rate, they coudl care less about a few of us that are making noise. Unless we can generate hundreds or a few thousand letters we are a small blip on their screen that will quickly fade in to the past. And why shoudl they bother, scan these threads and look and see a few people that buy Honda/Acura after another and say they are fine with the minor issues (squeaks and rattles and such). Me I don;t care how "good" the car is or can be, if it has problems and I get treated liek I am getting treated by Acura, I move on. First and last Honda! I love watching the Koreans do to the Jananese what the Japanese did to the Americans in the 80's! Infiniti treated me with respect and followed up on every thing I ever called about. I can't get ACS to return a call or say anything other than let the dealer handle it. If the damn G35 didn't have such a horrible interior I would be on my third Infiniti, now I wish I wouldl have bought it, it handled better, accelerated better, just had that cheap interior!
Old 04-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

To: McDonalds, Big Mac Division
Fr: Big Mac Consumer
Re: Terrible Quality Issues

First off, let me say that I've been eating McDonalds products since 1975 when my dad took me to the parking lot of the local McDonalds to meet Ronald McDonald. He came up in a scooter and gave us free french fries.

I've supported you on every initiative you've ever come up with- even that McRib thing. Not McLean, but McRib. I wore my WABC $20,000 button and could sing both versions of the "you deserve a break today" jingle, too. I could have saved money in my teens by fooling with my age to get a cheap Happy Meal, but I didn't think that was the right thing to do to you. So I paid full price even though my friends got those neat Hamburgler action figures. Well, maybe not action figures. But figures at least.

Well now, things have changed.

Yesterday, I purchased my 6,041st Big Mac. When I opened the carton, 10 sesame seeds and 4 strands of lettuce were sitting on the bottom of the box! On the bottom! Of the box! This is an outrage.

What happened to McDonalds quality? How could you do this to me?

I am starting a petition. That's right! A petition! Take your 10 sesame seeds and 4 strands of lettuce and the petition and just see what happens to your business. Ha!

Sincerely,

Former Big Mac Customer
Old 04-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Advanced

You see, that's where you're wrong. The only "commonality" is that the internet still is a place where those with issues are the most prevalent and not those who are just pleased as punch about their vehicles.
Actually I think you could be challenged on that statement. I don't see 80-100% of the posters on this forum coming here strictly for complaints, take a quick look. I have not yet purchased and have been coming here for info like many others, I also see a lot of "hey just picked up my new ride today", "woohoo love this car", etc. In fact I think a poll would show that there are a wide margin of posters that have actually joined this forum PRIOR to posting their problems. I think that this is a very good sample size statistically of the issues that are in existence. In fact sometimes issues are realized after one poster says they noticed a problem then I'll see several more posts saying something like "hey my bumper has peeling paint too". I'm not saying all these issues are major or can't be easily corrected, but I do think some of the quality issues show valid patterns and can't be dismissed by claiming that "everyone comes here to complain".
Old 04-29-2004, 09:16 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kevd
Actually I think you could be challenged on that statement. I don't see 80-100% of the posters on this forum coming here strictly for complaints, take a quick look. I have not yet purchased and have been coming here for info like many others, I also see a lot of "hey just picked up my new ride today", "woohoo love this car", etc. In fact I think a poll would show that there are a wide margin of posters that have actually joined this forum PRIOR to posting their problems. I think that this is a very good sample size statistically of the issues that are in existence. In fact sometimes issues are realized after one poster says they noticed a problem then I'll see several more posts saying something like "hey my bumper has peeling paint too". I'm not saying all these issues are major or can't be easily corrected, but I do think some of the quality issues show valid patterns and can't be dismissed by claiming that "everyone comes here to complain".
I joined the forum way before I bought the car, checking every day for new information (actually most of the new info was at a-tsx.com). I did not have an Acura when I joined, my only reason was to search and learn about my future purchase. No one could talk me out of the TL, it was THE car, I also condemned the nay sayers, but boy was I wrong.

I keep my cars for long periods of time, so I like to do a lot of research, well, as much as I did, I could not have gone more wrong by selecting the TL.

I am now an Acura has been and dumped my TL thanks to multiple issues and one specific that could not be fixed. You know what, that was the worst time of my life (reaching the decision to get rid of the TL that I loved so, it almost ruined my family), something I never hope to have to go through again, I actually wanted to keep my car but others persuaded me to not keep it, I never wanted to give it up.

Anyway, I am not sure of those Acura lovers on here, but, I would have to agree, that the problems are not limited, and some ignore them, or just turn up the radio (I know my wife does this in her car all the time, complete with black tape over warning lights). The problems are more widespread than we know, and based on an assembly line process and the ISO9000 manufacturing processes (I know, it is no longer ISO, but some other name like QSL or something), this means everything is built the same, and garbage in is garbage out every time. If the design and process is flawed, then the car will be continually built with that flaw, that is the way it is, they are all built the same (less a worker who drops that screw and does not pick it up).

This is why recalls or TSB's are issued for a VIN range, it is because, that is when the process was changed, either for the part supplier, or the assembly plant of the car, and until it is changed, they make it the same flawed way.

Take it for what it is, but with everything so automated, and every process documented as how to exactly do it, the cars will be flawed until the process is changed.

Sorry to ramble on this, but Acura has me miffed, and I am not seeing things get any better for those of you who have the new TL.

I wish you all much luck with your issues, it is a shame that so many have to suffer.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Actually I think you could be challenged on that statement. I don't see 80-100% of the posters on this forum coming here strictly for complaints, take a quick look.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by need4spd
I keep my cars for long periods of time, so I like to do a lot of research, well, as much as I did, I could not have gone more wrong by selecting the TL.
You buy one of these?

Old 04-29-2004, 11:04 PM
Advanced

To: McDonalds, Big Mac Division
Fr: Big Mac Consumer
Re: Terrible Quality Issues

First off, let me say that I've been eating McDonalds products since 1975 when my dad took me to the parking lot of the local McDonalds to meet Ronald McDonald. He came up in a scooter and gave us free french fries.

I've supported you on every initiative you've ever come up with- even that McRib thing. Not McLean, but McRib. I wore my WABC $20,000 button and could sing both versions of the "you deserve a break today" jingle, too. I could have saved money in my teens by fooling with my age to get a cheap Happy Meal, but I didn't think that was the right thing to do to you. So I paid full price even though my friends got those neat Hamburgler action figures. Well, maybe not action figures. But figures at least.

Well now, things have changed.

Yesterday, I purchased my 6,041st Big Mac. When I opened the carton, 10 sesame seeds and 4 strands of lettuce were sitting on the bottom of the box! On the bottom! Of the box! This is an outrage.

What happened to McDonalds quality? How could you do this to me?

I am starting a petition. That's right! A petition! Take your 10 sesame seeds and 4 strands of lettuce and the petition and just see what happens to your business. Ha!

Sincerely,

Former Big Mac Customer
You buy one of these?

LMAO :p :lol2: :lol2: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
Old 04-30-2004, 05:15 AM
Racer

I take back what I said about you in another thread. This is a great reply post and wish that you would stay on this side of Jeckyl/Hyde character you sometimes reveal.

I too love my 5 month old TL and I would leave everything the way it came. Knock on wood, my car is performing flawlessly and I think most of us feel the same way as I do about the TL. However, there are number of people that visit this site to bitch about every little thing. Some of the ridiculous things I have read so far are;
• The dashboard gap is too wide.
• The leather leaves the butt imprint too long.
• The blue light makes the car rice.

These are just few that came to my mind, but there have been some serious nit picking here. And, understandably, there also has been some major problems with the first year TL and I feel sorry for you guys. However, I think that the serious problems are a small percentage and most of those can easily be addressed by your dealership. And then there is Norse 396. As for me, I love my TL and I take the car for what it is – a sweet ride. So, if you’re going to sign a bitch petition, most of won’t be on that paper. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:59 AM
Advanced

boltjames,

Cut it out, I'm getting hungry! :toothless
Old 04-30-2004, 08:47 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by casooner90
I take back what I said about you in another thread. This is a great reply post and wish that you would stay on this side of Jeckyl/Hyde character you sometimes reveal.
Gracias. For some of you, this is a 'serious' forum. For me, it's entertainment. When things get a bit dull, I like to spice it up a bit. While exploding Presidential skulls, foot fetishes, Zaino drinking, and photos of private parts aren't for everyone, they do entertain me and that's what's most important. Well, almost. :clown:
Old 04-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kevd
This is a great forum to learn about the car you would like to buy. Whether it's a 2004' or 2005" ( I would like to order a 2005'in the fall ) If 10 % of the owners that visit this forum, have the same problem. You can bet that 10 % of the TL owners, that do not know about this forum. Have the same issues as the people on this board. On election day, they project winners based on the same principal.

To the people that constantly belittle and make fun of Tl owners and future owners, for asking questions about their TL's . It's not funny and there is no humor in this behavior.

If someone makes fun of someone that works his or her lifetime to buy a Luxury Car and spend $37.000 plus to boot. Don't they deserve a headache free car ?

Be a gentleman, and help a new bee out. It could be you in their place.

Cut them a lot of slack ! Please !
Old 04-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by cypwood1
This is a great forum to learn about the car you would like to buy. Whether it's a 2004' or 2005" ( I would like to order a 2005'in the fall ) If 10 % of the owners that visit this forum, have the same problem. You can bet that 10 % of the TL owners, that do not know about this forum. Have the same issues as the people on this board. On election day, they project winners based on the same principal.

To the people that constantly belittle and make fun of Tl owners and future owners, for asking questions about their TL's . It's not funny and there is no humor in this behavior.

If someone makes fun of someone that works his or her lifetime to buy a Luxury Car and spend $37.000 plus to boot. Don't they deserve a headache free car ?

Be a gentleman, and help a new bee out. It could be you in their place.

Cut them a lot of slack ! Please !
Actually, that's what I'm trying to do.

Only six weeks ago, I was that newbie looking into the TL and after 15 minutes of reading threads like "My Headliner Is The Devil" and "Bridgestone Flatspotting Recall Coming" and "More Rattles Than a Desert Snake" got me *this* close to considering another brand of vehicle even though I'd owned Acura products for over 15 years!

We need to put an end to the constant bitching about these insignificant details....it's like a race for someone to decry "whoo hooo I found the next big problem look at me look at me!".

The TL is a perfect car. Period.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
That's what makes them common issues, BJ. It doesn't mean everyone has them it's just that they are the most common.

Go buy a $35,000 car with tires that shake the steering wheel and can't be fixed other than by replacement, from a company that refuses to replace them, and come back and tell us how we should just go to our dealers and shut up here.

It's easy to judge others when you haven't had to walk in their shoes (or drive with their shaking steering wheel, or rattling panels, or peeling paint, or ... you get the idea).

Mike
Old 04-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by svtmike
That's what makes them common issues, BJ. It doesn't mean everyone has them it's just that they are the most common.

Go buy a $35,000 car with tires that shake the steering wheel and can't be fixed other than by replacement, from a company that refuses to replace them, and come back and tell us how we should just go to our dealers and shut up here.

It's easy to judge others when you haven't had to walk in their shoes (or drive with their shaking steering wheel, or rattling panels, or peeling paint, or ... you get the idea).

Mike
It's a matter of perception, that's all.

All the complainers seem to feel the need to repost the same issues over and over again....it creates the perception among new buyers that the TL is some overly buggy vehicle when it's not.

Just as enthusiastically and emphatically as you complainers post, someone like me needs to do likewise for all the good things about the car. I'm a Japanese Robin Hood.

Sincerely,
Hutsaki Robinowasan
Old 04-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Just as enthusiastically and emphatically as you complainers post, someone like me needs to do likewise for all the good things about the car.
I voted enthusiastically and emphatically with $32,100. So did every other person who voices concern about a problem.

Mike
Old 04-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by svtmike
I voted enthusiastically and emphatically with $32,100. So did every other person who voices concern about a problem.

Mike
Now you've got a point there. No comeback. Good job.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm a Japanese Robin Hood.

Sincerely,
Hutsaki Robinowasan
Just please tell me you're not wearing tights and a kimono.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by TLGator
Just please tell me you're not wearing tights and a kimono.
LOL. I'm starting a poll to ban you as I know you're feeling unloved about now
Old 04-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

LOL. I'm starting a poll to ban you as I know you're feeling unloved about now
I would vote to ban myself!
Old 04-30-2004, 09:30 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I need my pinto!

Quick Reply: Acura Petition