Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3G TL body kit question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3G TL body kit question?

Does the 3G TL A-Spec body kit protect the side of the car from dirt and rocks kicked up by the tires as much as the mudflaps do? So those of you that installed the kit, is the car dirtier with the kit installed and the mudflaps gone?? Your thoughts on this?? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VT06TL
Does the 3G TL A-Spec body kit protect the side of the car from dirt and rocks kicked up by the tires as much as the mudflaps do? So those of you that installed the kit, is the car dirtier with the kit installed and the mudflaps gone?? Your thoughts on this?? Thanks.
That would be negative!! The side skirts are not designed to protect the side of the car, and the A-spec ones do not come out much more then the base ones.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
That would be negative!! The side skirts are not designed to protect the side of the car, and the A-spec ones do not come out much more then the base ones.
But it sure makes the car look better!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:45 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
How could they... the correct question might be can you install the sideskirts and the mudguards at the same time?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
How could they... the correct question might be can you install the sideskirts and the mudguards at the same time?
um.... i don't think the car would look good with underbody kit and the mudgard... i think it'll make the car look funny and fugly at the same time
Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really can't tell any big difference either way. I'm not sure the mudflaps did all that much anyway.

I've never seen anyone use both the MF & Aspec skirts mainly because you would need to seriously cut/modify the flaps to fit over the new skirts.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Instructor

No I am just curious that if I remove my mudflaps and put on the A-Spec body kit. Will the sides of the car then show more of the dirt and mud kicked up by the tires that the mudflaps would have deflected? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you are going 4-wheeling through mud piles it shouldn't make any difference
Old 08-10-2007, 03:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
No I am just curious that if I remove my mudflaps and put on the A-Spec body kit. Will the sides of the car then show more of the dirt and mud kicked up by the tires that the mudflaps would have deflected? Thanks.
I notice that the corner of the front doors near the front wheel wells as well as the piece of bumper/fender near the rear wheel wells show more dirt. It's more noticeable if I drive over a wet road, but living in southern CA, its not that bad.

Overall, the look of the A-Spec body kit outweighs the small amount of dirt that can be easily cleaned off.

P.S. It will require a lot of modification to get the mudflaps to attach with the A-Spec body kit. Its either or; you can't have both.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by datmrman
I notice that the corner of the front doors near the front wheel wells as well as the piece of bumper/fender near the rear wheel wells show more dirt. It's more noticeable if I drive over a wet road, but living in southern CA, its not that bad.

Overall, the look of the A-Spec body kit outweighs the small amount of dirt that can be easily cleaned off.

P.S. It will require a lot of modification to get the mudflaps to attach with the A-Spec body kit. Its either or; you can't have both.
Thanks for the all input. Somehow it was interpreted that I wanted to put both the body kit on and mudflaps, which was never my intention. I was just wondering about the difference since I am sure there are plenty TL owners that are as anal about keeping their cars clean as I am. So I wondered what the difference was in the amount of crud getting on the car when the mudflaps are removed and the body kit installed. From the answers so far the answer appears to "no difference".

I live in the Northeast and we get lots of snow. The road crews throw down chemicals to melt the snow so your car is covered in this white chemical residue. So you need to wash it off but when the temperatures are in the 10 degree range for days it is hard to wash the car. So my mudflaps perform a needed function probably more than most. So I just want to make sure the body kit can fill in for the mudflaps.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:37 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Oooops guess I misinterpreted you, but I don't think the sidekirts do the same job as the mudflaps... I to get those snow days where salt mixture with some other stuff is thrown down and makes the cars look like a nuclear fallout...

But um I think when I do decide to add the A-Spec kit I am going to cut the mudflaps to fit with the sideskirts... No matter how difficult it is