3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,015 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Thanks for the tips, Majofo.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Resident BMW Apologist

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by polobunny
Selling on the net is always like that for me. People are dicks. They either lowball you, but most of the time is spent waiting for someone to come by. That's why I stopped going out of my way to please people and try to meet at opportune times for them. If I don't have to be home, I tell them I won't be home instead of sucking it up and waiting for them and wasting a night of whatever.

One time some guy was expected around 7pm, I waited until 7:30 he never came so I left. I get a text at 8:15 (wtf?) saying he's downstairs but nobody's opening. I told him I waited a bit but he was supposed to come by at 7, he called me and whined a bit like a bitch and I never heard of him again. It was that much more ridiculous than the item was a freaking $15 zebra trunk I was selling for my GF.

Cheap bluetooth dongles often have problems with certain odb2 protocols, another one might just be fine. First one I got was shit, bought a second slightly different one and it's heaps better. Hopefully for you it's not much.
Oh yeah, I've stopped waiting around for people. I once had an E36 328i that I bought on a whim (after many half-priced margaritas the night before) and discovered was rusty and overall not worth my time, so I put it back on CL for what I paid. Selling a $1500 BMW at tax-return time is a shit idea. Had sooo many empty promises over text message. Ultimately sold that one to a guy named Nigel who rode the Metro from Maryland to meet me. No negotiation on price.

The BT dongle I have was bought to be used on the E36 for diagnostics, and it's worked there and on my 128. I think I used it on my dad's old Infiniti once, too. But haven't tried on any GM before. My roommate has an old-school reader somewhere, if I can find it, I'll give that a shot before AutoZone-ing.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:11 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Brake_L8
Oh yeah, I've stopped waiting around for people. I once had an E36 328i that I bought on a whim (after many half-priced margaritas the night before) and discovered was rusty and overall not worth my time, so I put it back on CL for what I paid. Selling a $1500 BMW at tax-return time is a shit idea. Had sooo many empty promises over text message. Ultimately sold that one to a guy named Nigel who rode the Metro from Maryland to meet me. No negotiation on price.

The BT dongle I have was bought to be used on the E36 for diagnostics, and it's worked there and on my 128. I think I used it on my dad's old Infiniti once, too. But haven't tried on any GM before. My roommate has an old-school reader somewhere, if I can find it, I'll give that a shot before AutoZone-ing.
Mmm rusty bimmer. I'm pretty sure that could be a sex position on urbandictionary.

Sometimes the old school cables is the way to go. But I can't complain much about $15 bluetooth dongles either.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,946 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Good morning, kids.

TGIF!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Good morning, kids.

TGIF!
Hell yeah, cannot wait for this week to be over. Really thought of quitting yesterday because of all the stupid shit going on here. I probably should anyway.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 663 Posts
Things are that hectic, PB?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by Franchise1124
Things are that hectic, PB?
It's the company that's stupid. You'll excuse the simpleton terms, but I don't know how else to say it shortly.

It's a company that was started by a father and his son, and like most family run companies, this one doesn't escape the "you should be part of the family" mentality.
For some reason, they expect employees to give sweat and blood, work overtime without compensation and help as if it was their own company. All that for a pretty mediocre salary for the tasks you have to achieve. This is not related to my position but to other positions as well.

I'm a good worker (without tooting my own horn) and I have no problem crunching ridiculous amounts of work. I manage my shit like a boss, really, and I was led to believe X and Y would be on my path eventually when I was given the job.

Fast forward to now and very little has changed. I've changed position on paper, with once again a mediocre raise, but in reality I'm still doing much of the work I was doing + new stuff. Overall it's impossible for me to crunch that in the 37.5 hours we have weekly, and as much as they'd like to I won't be doing any unrewarded overtime on my personal time.

This brings us to the next issue: The father of the company is a guy that should be running a GM industry in the 60ies, not a company dealing with real estate brokers and new technologies while the son has had 2 convenience store jobs prior to his dad using his money to start the company and has so many issues I don't know where to start with. Big ego, little knowledge, guy that fucks around when he doesn't know how to solve issues instead of paying professionals, doesn't trust anyone yet cannot do it himself...

It's a pretty hostile environment to work in so usually I try to let it slide, but yesterday I overheard that they might put me back to my old functions which is pretty much a set back. A good guy that used to be my superior here was overworked and pretty much used as the company prostitute, this ain't happening to me.

Aaaaanyway, lunch break!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

No -ing for me today...going to meet one of my former devs for pho-king pho!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

It's the company that's stupid. You'll excuse the simpleton terms, but I don't know how else to say it shortly.

It's a company that was started by a father and his son, and like most family run companies, this one doesn't escape the "you should be part of the family" mentality.
For some reason, they expect employees to give sweat and blood, work overtime without compensation and help as if it was their own company. All that for a pretty mediocre salary for the tasks you have to achieve. This is not related to my position but to other positions as well.

I'm a good worker (without tooting my own horn) and I have no problem crunching ridiculous amounts of work. I manage my shit like a boss, really, and I was led to believe X and Y would be on my path eventually when I was given the job.

Fast forward to now and very little has changed. I've changed position on paper, with once again a mediocre raise, but in reality I'm still doing much of the work I was doing + new stuff. Overall it's impossible for me to crunch that in the 37.5 hours we have weekly, and as much as they'd like to I won't be doing any unrewarded overtime on my personal time.

This brings us to the next issue: The father of the company is a guy that should be running a GM industry in the 60ies, not a company dealing with real estate brokers and new technologies while the son has had 2 convenience store jobs prior to his dad using his money to start the company and has so many issues I don't know where to start with. Big ego, little knowledge, guy that fucks around when he doesn't know how to solve issues instead of paying professionals, doesn't trust anyone yet cannot do it himself...

It's a pretty hostile environment to work in so usually I try to let it slide, but yesterday I overheard that they might put me back to my old functions which is pretty much a set back. A good guy that used to be my superior here was overworked and pretty much used as the company prostitute, this ain't happening to me.

Aaaaanyway, lunch break!
Update your CV and viva la free agency!

See what's out there and if another employer is going to give you more...ditch this place.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Jake, I say you forget selling the shitty GM to some dumb redneck, and go on a crash derby rampage. Way more satisfying and well worth the money you invested!

Or, find a nice, big parking lot at night, setup a bunch of shopping carts, and smash the shit out of them!! Money well spent.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Team Owner

See what's out there and if another employer is going to give you more...ditch this place.
I second that. The first company I worked for, straight out of school, I stayed with for nearly 4 years until I was laid off due to a shortage of work. The job was fucking terrible. I was working 60 hour weeks, only getting paid for 40 (engineers are exempt from being paid overtime, unless the company wants to), busting my fucking ass day in, day out, never being recognized for my efforts (except the girls with big breasts sure did, even if they did half the work), getting an average salary and company shares.

Dislocated my knee cap and couldn't walk. Fuck that! Get back to work and doing your inspections on site. Fuck your crutches, there's work to be done!

Lunch time was a 1 hour bitch fest about how everyone hated working there and how they hated everyone they worked with (the feeling was unanimous throughout), yet no one would quit due to the 'golden handcuffs' known as shares.

I was chapped after getting laid off, but it ended up being a blessing in disguise. I went through a couple companies after that and now settled where I am, working 35 hour weeks, getting plenty of holidays and a cushy salary to boot.

By the way, the first company I was referring to is PCL Construction. Some of you might be aware of them, as they're the largest contractor in Canada and 4th largest in the US. They have a wicked public image, but once you get through that, there is some despicable shit that happens behind the scenes. Fuck those guys.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,015 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Old 01-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Registered Bunny

Yup, thinking about it. January isn't the best month for that shit though, but I just might hold on a bit longer then ditch it.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I second that. The first company I worked for, straight out of school, I stayed with for nearly 4 years until I was laid off due to a shortage of work. The job was fucking terrible. I was working 60 hour weeks, only getting paid for 40 (engineers are exempt from being paid overtime, unless the company wants to), busting my fucking ass day in, day out, never being recognized for my efforts (except the girls with big breasts sure did, even if they did half the work), getting an average salary and company shares.

Dislocated my knee cap and couldn't walk. Fuck that! Get back to work and doing your inspections on site. Fuck your crutches, there's work to be done!

Lunch time was a 1 hour bitch fest about how everyone hated working there and how they hated everyone they worked with (the feeling was unanimous throughout), yet no one would quit due to the 'golden handcuffs' known as shares.

I was chapped after getting laid off, but it ended up being a blessing in disguise. I went through a couple companies after that and now settled where I am, working 35 hour weeks, getting plenty of holidays and a cushy salary to boot.

By the way, the first company I was referring to is PCL Construction. Some of you might be aware of them, as they're the largest contractor in Canada and 4th largest in the US. They have a wicked public image, but once you get through that, there is some despicable shit that happens behind the scenes. Fuck those guys.
I've heard of PCL from ottawa friends, they don't have so much of a wicked public image here, or at least to me.

Another terrible company: CN. It's a shithole there. Never work there, you'll regret it.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Yup, I've heard the same about CN.

So I miss one day on AZ and when I come back I hear that the TLX-S is on the books... Is this true or just complete bullshit?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Thanks for just the tip, Majofo.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Hopefully you find a better fit, PB. I'm sure there's somewhere out there that will compensate you enough to buy all the bunny tuxedos and carrots you need plus some.

If a TLX-S actually happens, I hope it comes with 3 pedals. Won't hold my breath on that though
Old 01-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

I think it's safe to say the 6MT is officially dead. I'm willing to bet that Acura will only stick to DCTs and Autos from now on, it sucks, but it's inevitable. Such is life
Old 01-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Safety Car

Old 01-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
bmwzine
Old 01-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Registered Bunny

Hopefully you find a better fit, PB. I'm sure there's somewhere out there that will compensate you enough to buy all the bunny tuxedos and carrots you need plus some.

If a TLX-S actually happens, I hope it comes with 3 pedals. Won't hold my breath on that though
Oh I'm sure. I'll see how it goes. I'm at 5 years here, just as I'm getting some alright benefits. The thing that keeps me here is living 10 minutes away, out of Montreal so no traffic. Other than that, it's not so great.

3 pedals hahahaha

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I think it's safe to say the 6MT is officially dead. I'm willing to bet that Acura will only stick to DCTs and Autos from now on, it sucks, but it's inevitable. Such is life
Mhm.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:58 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by Majofo
bmwzine
Just might. Also really I hate you for bringing some E39 M5 ideas here. This is stupid. That V8.
The following users liked this post:
Majofo (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 500 HP 6 speed rear wheel drive fun
Old 01-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Sorry that's the E60 M5
Old 01-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by sauceja
Nothing wrong with a 500 HP 6 speed rear wheel drive fun
Originally Posted by sauceja
Sorry that's the E60 M5
Yep. 400 steam ponies for the E39 M5. Still plenty enough!
Old 01-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Resident BMW Apologist

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts
The E39 M5 is an okay idea. The E60 M5 is a horrible idea.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by Brake_L8
The E39 M5 is an okay idea. The E60 M5 is a horrible idea.
Not looking to shell out ~$23K or service a V10 anyway. I forgot how beautiful the E39 looked until Maj brought it up.

Anyway I should not be talking. I ain't selling the TL soon, I said I'd keep it for a few years so that's what I'll do. I haven't even put any wheels on it yet!
Old 01-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Yup, thinking about it. January isn't the best month for that shit though, but I just might hold on a bit longer then ditch it.
Well, there's always a good time to update your CV and nothing like checking up what's available on indeed.com.

If your work truly is weighing you down, take a few minutes each day to start updating your resume and in probably a week, you're set and applying can be as many as just one job a night.

It is what you make of it. I have no idea what sector or trade you're in but you sound capable enough to be able to move relatively quickly if you put your mind to it.

What I'm saying is don't delay if you're suffering at work.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

*belches* Just got back from eating an extra large Pho-King big bowl of pho.

With extra balls.
justnspace (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
and tripe?
Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Registered Bunny

Well, there's always a good time to update your CV and nothing like checking up what's available on indeed.com.

If your work truly is weighing you down, take a few minutes each day to start updating your resume and in probably a week, you're set and applying can be as many as just one job a night.

It is what you make of it. I have no idea what sector or trade you're in but you sound capable enough to be able to move relatively quickly if you put your mind to it.

What I'm saying is don't delay if you're suffering at work.
Thanks for the words. Suffering would be exaggerating, and so would be weighing me down. My back's large enough to take a bunch, but it does get annoying. It's always a matter of time before someone's snaps.

I need to get more certifications and shit though, always an issue when looking for jobs where you've learned a lot from previous jobs or by yourself (yay self taught shit!) but don't have the papers to prove it.

I still might update my CV and snoop around a bit on bored nights. That never hurts and you never know!
Old 01-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by justnspace
and tripe?
You betcha, Sebastien! Always need to have some tripe and tendon.

I also enjoy the soup when it's extra sour and so, I ask for additional slices of lemon.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:58 PM

Even though I talk ish about the E60 M5.. it's in my all-time list. Both the E39 and E60 M5 are in my collection once Justn and I partner on our billion dollar idea.. and sell it for 34.50.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the words. Suffering would be exaggerating, and so would be weighing me down. My back's large enough to take a bunch, but it does get annoying. It's always a matter of time before someone's snaps.

I need to get more certifications and shit though, always an issue when looking for jobs where you've learned a lot from previous jobs or by yourself (yay self taught shit!) but don't have the papers to prove it.

I still might update my CV and snoop around a bit on bored nights. That never hurts and you never know!
Yup, that's exactly my point: Doesn't hurt to look. So, there is never "perfect" time to go job hunting. Interviews happen when you least expect it. Hell, while it's not that note-worthy, I was shocked as heck when Google interviewed me 2 years ago and actually made it through to their final round which was a visit to Mountain View.

So, you just never know.

But, to your point about work being a PiTA? Well, it's not called "work" for no reason. If I really loved it THAT much, it'd be play and I'd do it for free.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:03 PM

Even though I talk ish about the E60 M5.. it's in my all-time list. Both the E39 and E60 M5 are in my collection once Justn and I partner on our billion dollar idea.. and sell it for 34.50.
so, you think its a good idea?

lol
Old 01-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Safety Car

Y'all need a financial advisor to handle the monies. Count me in
justnspace (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Old 01-23-2015, 02:09 PM

I'll be sending your half of 17.25 via carrier.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:10 PM

Y'all need a financial advisor to handle the monies. Count me in
Minus Frantz's fee..

But seriously.. we need to makes more monies.
justnspace (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Registered Bunny

Yup, that's exactly my point: Doesn't hurt to look. So, there is never "perfect" time to go job hunting. Interviews happen when you least expect it. Hell, while it's not that note-worthy, I was shocked as heck when Google interviewed me 2 years ago and actually made it through to their final round which was a visit to Mountain View.

So, you just never know.

But, to your point about work being a PiTA? Well, it's not called "work" for no reason. If I really loved it THAT much, it'd be play and I'd do it for free.
Agreed. Got interviewed to manage some LTL freight which is completely out of my knowledge and went through all but the last round because some guy who quit a year earlier came back and yadda yadda, rather take someone who knows the job obviously.

The hunted me down on an employment website rather than the other way, so I guess I'm still worth something.

Work doesn't have to be a PITA at all times though, which is what this job is becoming. When every step becomes tedious, it's probably time for a change. I've been thinking about it lately and secretly I might just be looking for an excuse to do it.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:13 PM

franz can handle my balls....errrr i mean money any day.

Quick Reply: The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Part 2)