Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 TL Switchblade Key

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sodde
Just to clear up some doubts about this project, is it confirmed that the 'programmable' part of the 07 TL (switchblade) key can be programmed to work the same as the 04-06 TL key
Uncomfirmed. No one has tried yet.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FLBusa
Good work!!! I was wondering how the chip looked. Looks like it's small enough to fit in the fob somewhere. But... no telling until I get one.

Thanks for posting the pic.
FYI, the chip is within the plastic ring surrounding the key inside the 07 TL key. The question is, how hard is it to get out. If it is like the USDM Accord key, there is just a little plug holding it in. In either case, I believe the chip need only be within 3 inches of the immobilizer ring.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The dealer was able to order the Driver 2 key for me last week. I hope that it will be here some time today or tomorrow. If I am able to get a hold of it early this week, I will have the key finished by the weekend. Since I am the only one that drives the car, I can use driver 1 or 2.

Jason
Old 11-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moda_way
FYI, the chip is within the plastic ring surrounding the key inside the 07 TL key. The question is, how hard is it to get out. If it is like the USDM Accord key, there is just a little plug holding it in. In either case, I believe the chip need only be within 3 inches of the immobilizer ring.
I'm banking on the chip not needing to come out at all. I just don't see why the engineers at Acura would go through all the expence and trouble to change the way the chip works. My guess is that it's the same chip type and only needs to be re-programmed by a professional. I could be wrong but cost drives a lot of decisions.

Maybe I'm just too anal or too trusting but for me... anything less than what I would get from Acura is just not good enough. I can machine the '07 key blank at a very high level of precision accurately duplicating the '04-'06 key. Cutting stuff up and glueing things together rarely if ever holds up. If for some reason the chip is incompatable... I'll consider other options.

ps... I already have a strategy for getting it out and having a nice little pocket left to pot it back in without screwing up the existing plastic.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Ryan Christopher

I'm banking on the chip not needing to come out at all. I just don't see why the engineers at Acura would go through all the expence and trouble to change the way the chip works. My guess is that it's the same chip type and only needs to be re-programmed by a professional. I could be wrong but cost drives a lot of decisions.

Maybe I'm just too anal or too trusting but for me... anything less than what I would get from Acura is just not good enough. I can machine the '07 key blank at a very high level of precision accurately duplicating the '04-'06 key. Cutting stuff up and glueing things together rarely if ever holds up. If for some reason the chip is incompatable... I'll consider other options.

ps... I already have a strategy for getting it out and having a nice little pocket left to pot it back in without screwing up the existing plastic.
Have you ever used JB Weld? It is very strong. I have a Accord key that I have been using now for over a year. It was done with JB weld and has never given any problems. It is much less costly then having it milled down. As for the chips, you are correct, there is no reason to swap it, unless you don't want to pay the dealer to program the new one to the car.
Programming the remote to the car is the easy part, but you still have to have the transponder programmed to the car by a dealer or authorized person. Or you can remove it from one of your original keys. Lucky for me, I have 4 of them programmed to the car, so I don't mind destroying one.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Any body have any idea if it would be easier th change the lock instead of the key? By a 2007 key and have the key cylinder adjusted to fit eh key and reprogram the car to that chip. Too much to ask, or just too much $$$.

ML
Old 11-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^^too much $$ to replace the cylonoids (spelling)
Old 11-13-2006, 03:11 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

solenoids
Old 11-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

My weekend update...I created a mold out of my milled down blank and that didn't work for sh*t. Granted, I am new to molds and resin casting, but it didn't work as I had hoped it would.

Out of frustration (or impatience) I went the Frankenstein route and cut up my valet key and one of my other blanks. I swapped out the IM chip and that worked fine, but obviously isn't ideal.

I've got high hopes for FLBusa now. You give me the word man, and I'll overnight you one of my keys for prototyping.

-chad
Old 11-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ITL
solonoids
solenoids
Old 11-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Ryan Christopher

Was finally able to get a key, its driver 2, but it will let me do the work I need in order to get it done. Once I have finished, I will post some pics and let everyone know how it works. I am going to use the cut and replace rather then the Mill option. As trying to spend the money to mill the key is just not worth it. I can spend far less and it will work and look great.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:04 PM
7th Gear

I just thought I would let you all know that I ordered it from the Tulsa Acura Dealership (Don Carlton) for $39.90 plus tax.

I have no clue as to what I will do when I get it, but hey, I will have one!

Hopefully by the time I receive it, you all will have mastered the art!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
Have you ever used JB Weld? It is very strong. I have a Accord key that I have been using now for over a year. It was done with JB weld and has never given any problems. It is much less costly then having it milled down. As for the chips, you are correct, there is no reason to swap it, unless you don't want to pay the dealer to program the new one to the car.
Programming the remote to the car is the easy part, but you still have to have the transponder programmed to the car by a dealer or authorized person. Or you can remove it from one of your original keys. Lucky for me, I have 4 of them programmed to the car, so I don't mind destroying one.

Yes... I have used JB Weld. For somethings it works really well and I don't doubt that it will work just fine for the key.

I on the other hand... I do have access to the equipment required to fabricate an '04-06 key blank from the '07 blank. If I didn't I would most certainly go the route you are taking. All of the work for me is up front... Once I know what is required I will develop a repeatable process and machine the keys in a reasonable time frame for those that either don't want to do it themselves or want one as close to "factory" as possible.

I don't need to have this mod tomorrow although I am excited to get started right away.

I'm also interested in how your project turns out so... post some pic's.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by carpecervisi
My weekend update...I created a mold out of my milled down blank and that didn't work for sh*t. Granted, I am new to molds and resin casting, but it didn't work as I had hoped it would.

Out of frustration (or impatience) I went the Frankenstein route and cut up my valet key and one of my other blanks. I swapped out the IM chip and that worked fine, but obviously isn't ideal.

I've got high hopes for FLBusa now. You give me the word man, and I'll overnight you one of my keys for prototyping.

-chad
Chad... Thank you very much.

I'm almost ready to take you up on your offer. If I don't get mine by Wednesday then we'll talk.

Work's got me pretty busy for the next couple of days and the family had me this past weekend. I do have the end of this week free and will start on the prototype key then.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Was supposed to receive the key today, but still no sign of it!!!!

I want the key so badly nowwww
Old 11-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Ryan Christopher

Yes... I have used JB Weld. For somethings it works really well and I don't doubt that it will work just fine for the key.

I on the other hand... I do have access to the equipment required to fabricate an '04-06 key blank from the '07 blank. If I didn't I would most certainly go the route you are taking. All of the work for me is up front... Once I know what is required I will develop a repeatable process and machine the keys in a reasonable time frame for those that either don't want to do it themselves or want one as close to "factory" as possible.

I don't need to have this mod tomorrow although I am excited to get started right away.

I'm also interested in how your project turns out so... post some pic's.
If I had the machining tools to do it, I would to. Once I get this one made and I am able to get the drvier one. I am going to create a mold process for it. My uncle makes cast model parts, so he is going to help me create it. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out. I am going to try and get the sanding done tonight and see about painting it. I will get some pics up soon. Jason
Old 11-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Pro

I just went to my local dealer (Morande Acura, Berlin, CT), and they said the key is on indefinite backorder. Where are you guys getting yours from?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Rock Chalk JayhawkZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to my local dealer (Superior Acura) today and they were on backorder also. They quoted me at $37.80 which is a great deal.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Opium den in

How is the 07 key cheaper than the 06 ... lost my keys had to call Acura they told me around 50 for the key and like 90 for the fob... wow.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Final
How is the 07 key cheaper than the 06 ... lost my keys had to call Acura they told me around 50 for the key and like 90 for the fob... wow.
its says the fob is like 169.99 on the acura OEM parts catalouge Memory 1), thats why i am waiting for the switchblade, what dealership quoted u 90 dollars?.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face pocket-friendly

Great thread... wish there is the easy way to make it work... I guess I have to visit my dealer and ask their SVC manager/Part Manager, too... TL has no push-to-start button (the fancy tool;not sure if it's that reliable...) or whatsoever keyless-stuff... it'll be great if Audi/VW-like key is available by us (04~06TLers)...
Old 11-17-2006, 08:45 AM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Bump.. bump... bumpppppping for justice!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Trucki!!

Just to let you all know you can purchase Memory 2 now, its not on backorder....................

35111-SEP-307
Old 11-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lembowski
Just to let you all know you can purchase Memory 2 now, its not on backorder....................

35111-SEP-307

what's the difference between memory 2 and memory 1?

just checked it out on estore but it has memory2 is 75 and memory1 is 35

any idea?
Old 11-17-2006, 11:12 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
If I had the machining tools to do it, I would to. Once I get this one made and I am able to get the drvier one. I am going to create a mold process for it. My uncle makes cast model parts, so he is going to help me create it. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out. I am going to try and get the sanding done tonight and see about painting it. I will get some pics up soon. Jason
You know, that would probably be the best way to get this done. Create a blank of the 04-06 key that's base is compatable to "snap in" or fit with the 07 remote fob.
create the mold and i'm sure it would end up being cheaper to the end user than buying blanks and having each one machined individually.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by umhaha84
what's the difference between memory 2 and memory 1?

just checked it out on estore but it has memory2 is 75 and memory1 is 35

any idea?
The difference is the same as Driver 1 & Driver 2 on your current keys. So if your program the Driver 2 remote it will recognize you as driver 2 when you enter the vehicle. so really no huge difference. If you are currently driver 1 and someone else is driver 2, just swith them remotes.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
ok i have read this thread but it seems no one has actually got the key to work yet. Is that correct? i really want to get this instead of fixing my accord key
Old 11-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
ok i have read this thread but it seems no one has actually got the key to work yet. Is that correct? i really want to get this instead of fixing my accord key
It appears that those who said they are trying to mill the key have not go back with the progress, good or bad. I just ordered my key yesterday, so when I get it I will send it to my dad. Hopefully he can do it, but if he can't it is hack it up time. Let me tell you this.........the transponder will work, and the immobilizer can be programed. So you can do what you want. Fix your Accord Key or do this.

I can't imagine why the Accord key would be messed up in the first place. If you did that one right the key should have never came loose, jbweld and quality grinding would have sufficed.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Is there any way that the original key from 04-06 can be put in the 07 key fob....

04-06 key taken apart:

07 key fob taken apart:

what do the experts out there think?????

ocwill1
Old 11-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Trucki!!

^^ go back to the posts from jkautosport who did this already. reread that if you have any questions send it to him.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Instructor

^^ go back to the posts from jkautosport who did this already. reread that if you have any questions send it to him.

But he made it where the actual switchblade part did not work, it was just like the accord key.. I want to know if it can be done and still utilize the pop-out part?????
Old 11-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by ocwill1
But he made it where the actual switchblade part did not work, it was just like the accord key.. I want to know if it can be done and still utilize the pop-out part?????
When did he say that the key wouldn't turn? I never read that. Link me to that post
Old 11-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Instructor

When did he say that the key wouldn't turn? I never read that. Link me to that post

My bad lembowski, I thought it didn't, looking back, I guess it does.. But he used an RDX key fob, and he said it was a pain in the arse.. oh well, hopefully the others will come up with something.. I don't have the equipment to get this done myself...

Looking out on ebay..
Old 11-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Advanced

The difference is the same as Driver 1 & Driver 2 on your current keys. So if your program the Driver 2 remote it will recognize you as driver 2 when you enter the vehicle. so really no huge difference. If you are currently driver 1 and someone else is driver 2, just swith them remotes.
my question was why there is 40 dollar difference on basically same keyfob???
Old 11-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Why I watch sci-fi...

Beacuse dealers suck... And beacuse this is a new part for them and they are having trouble getting the prices right. Everybody here is getting different prices. There is no diffenence between the 2 remotes, they just use one or the other preset memories when you unlock the doors. If one is cheaper than the other, just get the cheaper one and use that one.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Trucki!!

At the dealer there isn't a difference. My dealer said both cost $99 at there price. I thought $58 that I paid was reasonable. Offcourse the guy I went through said his prices were $35 for Mem 1, and $58 for mem 2. I guess you could wait till Feburary when the Memory 1 is back in stock and get one of those if the cost bothers you.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am getting the mem1 key for about $25, I will let you know when I get it

Its good to know ppl who work for Acura parts
Old 11-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
I really do appreciate your response until i got to the end. If you read any of the posts about the accord key on the tsx or tl forums you will see that many other keys have come loose as well. I used the expoxy because thats what people were using at the start and it held great for a few months but it eventually came loose.

I think i was the first to use the new TL remote on my older CL back in the day and low and behold it had problems but thats what the forums are for, to solve them. Thanks for the rolling eyes dude, noobie

It appears that those who said they are trying to mill the key have not go back with the progress, good or bad. I just ordered my key yesterday, so when I get it I will send it to my dad. Hopefully he can do it, but if he can't it is hack it up time. Let me tell you this.........the transponder will work, and the immobilizer can be programed. So you can do what you want. Fix your Accord Key or do this.

I can't imagine why the Accord key would be messed up in the first place. If you did that one right the key should have never came loose, jbweld and quality grinding would have sufficed.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
I really do appreciate your response until i got to the end. If you read any of the posts about the accord key on the tsx or tl forums you will see that many other keys have come loose as well. I used the expoxy because thats what people were using at the start and it held great for a few months but it eventually came loose.

I think i was the first to use the new TL remote on my older CL back in the day and low and behold it had problems but thats what the forums are for, to solve them. Thanks for the rolling eyes dude, noobie
I'm sorry your key broke, better luck this time
Old 11-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Soooo......

Havent received my key yet. Want to know if anyone has had any luck whatsoever with this.

Quick Reply: 2007 TL Switchblade Key