Sponsored by:

2007 TL Switchblade Key

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
Soooo......

Havent received my key yet. Want to know if anyone has had any luck whatsoever with this.
Did you order memory 1 or memory 2? I'm just confused how some of these dealers are ordering something that is in the system as backordered. I called one dealer and told them I have an 07 and lost my key, they told me the best they could do is put in a critical order and that would move me to the front of the line once they became availiable.......not right now. But like I said before the memory 2 key is availiable.......jptl04 ordered his and recieved it. So I hope mine will be here Monday.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:19 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
key fob for 06 TL

Originally Posted by lembowski
Finally found the thread on the accord key mod guys, if you have any questions shoot me a pm on it. i will however not answer questions that are clearly answered in the thread, so read first. Until someone posts ths fcc code on the 07 key I can't research it:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=remote

Hey, new to the site and was interested in the 07 TL switchblade keys for my 06 key. are u still doing them or do have any updated information.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by chitownpete
Hey, new to the site and was interested in the 07 TL switchblade keys for my 06 key. are u still doing them or do have any updated information.
No there is to much of a hassle even getting the keys. look through this thread there are others looking to make molds and such, who knows that may work out.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Pro

Acura of Escondido has Memory 2 keys...mine will be here on Wednesday
Old 11-19-2006, 03:44 PM
9th Gear

[QUOTE=BG74]Acura of Escondido has Memory 2 keys...mine will be here on Wednesday [/QU

Hey do you have TL key to, and are you gona take yours to a locksmith to do it.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I originally ordered Mem 1 key, But now I am thinking about ordering the Mem 2 key.

Sucks how they can order something that they dont even have
Old 11-19-2006, 05:55 PM
9th Gear

I originally ordered Mem 1 key, But now I am thinking about ordering the Mem 2 key.

Sucks how they can order something that they dont even have

HEy, What kind of car do you have and how are you going on with getting a switchblade key moded for your car.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Drifting

I have an 06 TL, cut apart the valet key, cuz i really dont hand over a "special" key to the valet, rather just give him the keys that are already in it. At this point I don't know really what to do with it because I haven't been able to see the actual switchblade key, I suspect I would go according to JK Autosports instructions and pictures. Seems pretty doable and more realistic to me because I dont have access to CNC machines, Lathes, and anything of that sort.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:33 PM
9th Gear

I have an 06 TL, cut apart the valet key, cuz i really dont hand over a "special" key to the valet, rather just give him the keys that are already in it. At this point I don't know really what to do with it because I haven't been able to see the actual switchblade key, I suspect I would go according to JK Autosports instructions and pictures. Seems pretty doable and more realistic to me because I dont have access to CNC machines, Lathes, and anything of that sort.

Koo, hey did you order your key from the dealer
Old 11-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Originally ordered from Pohanka Acura in Northern VA. They took the money and now say "we will call you when the part comes in" that was for Mem 1. Going to call Acura of Escondido tomm and see if they have any Mem 2 available
Old 11-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Well... No key for me as of yet. I did order the Mem1 key and will call the dealer to see if I can switch over to the Mem2. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Either way I'm still moving ahead with making a prototype key to test if machining the switchblade key is a good way to go.

A note to those interested in grafting an '06 key onto the '07 with JB weld.

JB Weld "IS" epoxy based and is a 2 part mix. IMO... the best bond will be achieved with a lap joint. The lap joint should be as flat and as square as possible.

This will maximize the surface area of the bond. You also want to make sure that when you mix parts A and B they're as close to the same amounts as you can get. Too much or little of one and the JB weld will be either brittle or will never get hard. Make sure the JB Weld is as new as possible. Finally... make sure that you clean the key halves with alcohol or some other solvent so that there's no oil on the surfaces to be bonded. Your fingers have enough oil on them to prevent the JB weld from bonding properly.

Good luck guys... I'll have something for you real soon.

Pete
Old 11-20-2006, 10:04 AM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Thanks for the update FLBusa.
Are you still interested in crafting keys for other AZ users? Does anyone else have an update with this particular project? This seems like the hottest, if not the best mod for the 04-06 TL's =)

Cant wait to see what you guys come up with, wish i could do all this myself unf =(
Old 11-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Trucki!!

I still think this is possible to mill the keys, but I'm very interested in the molding aspect. But what are the molds going to be made of? Steel? Is it going to be as dense and not soft metal? I have no experience in molds, exept the molds we made in high school jewelry class out of pewter. Very high melting points for these harder metals. This would more than likely be the cheapest route to go if someone could develop a mold that is the entire blank + the plastic part.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mustiy
Thanks for the update FLBusa.
Are you still interested in crafting keys for other AZ users? Does anyone else have an update with this particular project? This seems like the hottest, if not the best mod for the 04-06 TL's =)

Cant wait to see what you guys come up with, wish i could do all this myself unf =(
Yup... I'm still interested and am still moving forward.

I should have a key in hand within a week. (according to the dealership ) We'll see.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Instructor

I still think this is possible to mill the keys, but I'm very interested in the molding aspect. But what are the molds going to be made of? Steel? Is it going to be as dense and not soft metal? I have no experience in molds, exept the molds we made in high school jewelry class out of pewter. Very high melting points for these harder metals. This would more than likely be the cheapest route to go if someone could develop a mold that is the entire blank + the plastic part.
The '07 key is what's commonly refered to as "insert molded" also called "over molded". IMO the only reason for this is so that the chip can be embedded into the plastic.

If it were me... I would cast the key blanks out of brass and have them plated. Much more cost effective than trying to duplicate the original.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FLBusa
Well... No key for me as of yet. I did order the Mem1 key and will call the dealer to see if I can switch over to the Mem2. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Either way I'm still moving ahead with making a prototype key to test if machining the switchblade key is a good way to go.

A note to those interested in grafting an '06 key onto the '07 with JB weld.

JB Weld "IS" epoxy based and is a 2 part mix. IMO... the best bond will be achieved with a lap joint. The lap joint should be as flat and as square as possible.

This will maximize the surface area of the bond. You also want to make sure that when you mix parts A and B they're as close to the same amounts as you can get. Too much or little of one and the JB weld will be either brittle or will never get hard. Make sure the JB Weld is as new as possible. Finally... make sure that you clean the key halves with alcohol or some other solvent so that there's no oil on the surfaces to be bonded. Your fingers have enough oil on them to prevent the JB weld from bonding properly.

Good luck guys... I'll have something for you real soon.

Pete
I did get the chance to try this last week. Not so good. With the way the key was designed, Its hard to get a clean cut, let alone a lap cut. So now to plan B. My uncle makes molds for model cars. He uses a silcon to create the mold, then poors a ABS resin into it. I now have to get a hold of another key, but once I do, I am going to let him create a mold.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Trucki!!

The '07 key is what's commonly refered to as "insert molded" also called "over molded". IMO the only reason for this is so that the chip can be embedded into the plastic.

If it were me... I would cast the key blanks out of brass and have them plated. Much more cost effective than trying to duplicate the original.
Ok, when I think of what the mold would look like. I think of how they make bullets, having the melted metal poured into a metal cast. Am I far off?
Old 11-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
No you are not far off.........its a similar idea.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Pro

I think you guys might be wrong on your milling idea...I got my key today, and my '05 key is about 2 mm thinner in width (not thickness). I don't see a way to correct for it.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found the Simpsons episode where the key reminds me of the robot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X8FTz3PUks
Old 11-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Instructor

Ok, when I think of what the mold would look like. I think of how they make bullets, having the melted metal poured into a metal cast. Am I far off?
Hehehe... You are way off.

That works great for metals like tin and lead. Most keys are made of brass which has too high of a melting point. The most cost effective way (and you know I'm giving away all of my trade secrets here...) is to investment cast the keys.

You would create a master part and then create a silicone mold from the master. Once you have the mold you create wax patterns by injecting hot wax into the mold. Next you attach the wax patterns to a tree. See below...

The tree is then either coated with ceramic or in the case of the above tree, a steel sleeve is placed over the tree and a plaster of paris like investment is poured in. Once dry the rubber base is pulled off and the wax is melted out in a oven. Next pour in the molten metal of your choice. When it's cooled... you break off the investment and VIOLA!!!! Keys!!! or rings in the above case.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BG74
I think you guys might be wrong on your milling idea...I got my key today, and my '05 key is about 2 mm thinner in width (not thickness). I don't see a way to correct for it.
As long as the '07 key blank is larger than an '04-'06 key blank then there's no problems. You can always easily remove metal. ...adding it when there's not enough is another story.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Trucki!!

someone get this man a 07 Key Blank.................
Old 11-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
He uses a silcon to create the mold, then poors a ABS resin into it.
Are you sure he uses ABS?

ABS is a thermoplastic, meaning that you'd have to get it molten first then inject it into the mold. My guess is that he uses polyurethane which when cured is a lot like ABS.

So... what are you going to do once you have a plastic key in your hand?

Somehow it's got to turn into metal or it just won't last.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:54 AM
Instructor

someone get this man a 07 Key Blank.................
I talked to the dealer yesterday they assured me that it's only a day or two away.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:59 AM
8th Gear

My dealer just called, the Key is Finally in !

I should be back to pick it up tomorrow. I'll play with it and keep you guys posted.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Ryan Christopher

Are you sure he uses ABS?

ABS is a thermoplastic, meaning that you'd have to get it molten first then inject it into the mold. My guess is that he uses polyurethane which when cured is a lot like ABS.

So... what are you going to do once you have a plastic key in your hand?

Somehow it's got to turn into metal or it just won't last.
Not a plastic key. I will make a mold of the plastic part of the key. Then with the mold, you take a blank key from Walmart, or a store of your choice, cut it down to the same shape as the original. Stick the key in the mold, and then pour it in. It will incase the key the same way the factory one did, but will be the style we need. With a hole left for the transponder to slide into. This will offer a replacement end for the FOBs. Jason
Old 11-21-2006, 11:17 AM
FOR SALE - BM

Hehehe... You are way off.

That works great for metals like tin and lead. Most keys are made of brass which has too high of a melting point. The most cost effective way (and you know I'm giving away all of my trade secrets here...) is to investment cast the keys.

You would create a master part and then create a silicone mold from the master. Once you have the mold you create wax patterns by injecting hot wax into the mold. Next you attach the wax patterns to a tree. See below...

The tree is then either coated with ceramic or in the case of the above tree, a steel sleeve is placed over the tree and a plaster of paris like investment is poured in. Once dry the rubber base is pulled off and the wax is melted out in a oven. Next pour in the molten metal of your choice. When it's cooled... you break off the investment and VIOLA!!!! Keys!!! or rings in the above case.

that technique is very similar to dentistry and that is how they make Crowns and partial frameworks.. but in order to melt a key which is probably not a hard metal.. you will need a gas/oxygen torch and then probably centrifuge it into the mold.. but oxygen and centrifuge will add a lot of impurities and it will be fairly rough. once you get the roughness out and polish it , the key will probably be smaller... i see a better technique in putting the metal into a melting cup and getting it to a liquid form, then pouring it into the mold. that way you will eliminate at least some of the impurities that could be potentially adverse to making this mod.. i am curious though to see how you make it, and i would love to be proved wrong.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Pro

As long as the '07 key blank is larger than an '04-'06 key blank then there's no problems. You can always easily remove metal. ...adding it when there's not enough is another story.
That's what I am saying...the '07 blank is smaller. I am looking at the two right now.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:36 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^ - you said in your other post the 05 key was thinner
Old 11-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Trucki!!

I see a few different methods going on here. But I think whoever gets this figured out first will reap the rewards. Not only are TL owners wanting this in swarms, but TSX owners are buzzing about it. So this is almost a race to see who is going to make the $.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 2 Driver 1 07 TL keys in today. Going to pick them up.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by drdamian
that technique is very similar to dentistry and that is how they make Crowns and partial frameworks.. but in order to melt a key which is probably not a hard metal.. you will need a gas/oxygen torch and then probably centrifuge it into the mold.. but oxygen and centrifuge will add a lot of impurities and it will be fairly rough. once you get the roughness out and polish it , the key will probably be smaller... i see a better technique in putting the metal into a melting cup and getting it to a liquid form, then pouring it into the mold. that way you will eliminate at least some of the impurities that could be potentially adverse to making this mod.. i am curious though to see how you make it, and i would love to be proved wrong.
Actually that technique has been around a long long time the Egyptians used it to cast jewelery.

While it is fun to speculate on how exactly one would go about casting a key and which methodology is best... it's much more cost effective to just send a CAD file and drawing to a short run casting house. They'll take care of all the details.

No need to re-invent the wheel.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BG74
He did say it was thinner...
Old 11-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Instructor

I see a few different methods going on here. But I think whoever gets this figured out first will reap the rewards. Not only are TL owners wanting this in swarms, but TSX owners are buzzing about it. So this is almost a race to see who is going to make the $.
The real challenge will be getting swarms of key fobs for the swarms of people wanting them.

There are many many ways to get the '07 key to work. As a few have found out already, it's not just a simple chop and glue job. It'll take some trial and error to get to a really elegant, robust and cost effective solution. IMO... the person that comes up with a solution that encompasses all three variables will be the one that people will go to. Quality always wins out.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Trucki!!

The real challenge will be getting swarms of key fobs for the swarms of people wanting them.

There are many many ways to get the '07 key to work. As a few have found out already, it's not just a simple chop and glue job. It'll take some trial and error to get to a really elegant, robust and cost effective solution. IMO... the person that comes up with a solution that encompasses all three variables will be the one that people will go to. Quality always wins out.
True, for most cases.

But I guarantee you who ever comes out with the first solution that WORKS will get the bulk of the business.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Ryan Christopher

The way I am thinking of doing this, is to just sell a blank key with the plastic attached to it. You will still need to get a key from the dealer or whoever the supplier is. Then you can either remove the transponder from the 07 plastic part of the key, and insert it back into the new one and have the dealer program the transponder to the car. Programming the remote to the car is easy; it’s the transponder that has to be done by the dealer or someone with the tool. The other option will be to remove the transponder from the current key you have and insert that one into the new blank.

Or if one wishes, I can do all of it, but charge accordingly. I can get the fob, insert the blank and the transponder. Once the key is received, it will need to be cut and programmed to the car.

Let me know which way people would prefer.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Trucki!!

The way I am thinking of doing this, is to just sell a blank key with the plastic attached to it. You will still need to get a key from the dealer or whoever the supplier is. Then you can either remove the transponder from the 07 plastic part of the key, and insert it back into the new one and have the dealer program the transponder to the car. Programming the remote to the car is easy; it’s the transponder that has to be done by the dealer or someone with the tool. The other option will be to remove the transponder from the current key you have and insert that one into the new blank.

Or if one wishes, I can do all of it, but charge accordingly. I can get the fob, insert the blank and the transponder. Once the key is received, it will need to be cut and programmed to the car.

I'd be interested in getting just the blank with the plastic around it

I have already removed the immobilizer from my valet key, that I use in my Accord Fob. Whats the time frame your looking at? I got my key yesterday and its already burning a hole in my pocket.

Hell I'd be interested in just getting the plastic part, I can do the key myself
Old 11-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Racer

Jason, how much would you probably charge? I'd much rather have you do it for me since you have experience with the Accord key mod and all.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Ryan Christopher

I'd be interested in getting just the blank with the plastic around it

I have already removed the immobilizer from my valet key, that I use in my Accord Fob. Whats the time frame your looking at? I got my key yesterday and its already burning a hole in my pocket.

Hell I'd be interested in just getting the plastic part, I can do the key myself
I am hoping the new driver 1 comes in today, if not, it should be here tomorrow. Once I have it, I am going to take it apart and work on getting the mold made. Ocne I have the mold, it takes about 10 minutes for it to set up. I will keep everyone posted.

Quick Reply: 2007 TL Switchblade Key