Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 TL-P vs 2007 Honda Civic Si 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 TL-P vs 2007 Honda Civic Si 6mt

Hey whats up, So I gotta Friend that has a brand new 2007 Honda civic Si and he wants to race me for $100. I would usually just say ya against a stock civic but I heard the Si's are pretty quick and I know that its light as hell also. So Im kinda delaying the race untill I hear from you guys. So Let me know if i have a chance on this one.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:04 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not too sure about this but i think he will take you, it also depends on how good of a driver he is too!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man those 07 si's are pretty quick, i say you dont lol
Old 07-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Intermediate

So i decided to venture out and find some info, and i found out that the si runs at low 15's stock. heres a fourm i Found on honda tech. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1996450
Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Banned

i meant to say that si is quick in take off, but in the long run ull probably eat him
Old 07-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Intermediate

I need some more opinons im not just gonna throw a hundred bucks on somethin im not positive on. If i can delay him enough maybe my spacers and pulley will get here and installed than i should have this one in the bag.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:33 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
put your stock 16's on and I bet you beat him if you race from a dig to 80-100.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:01 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
man this could be tough. First of all replace your 19" wheels with stock rims. A stock TL-P does 0-60 in about 6.7 to 7 seconds, 1/4 mile in about 15.2s. With your CAI and if you are good at launching and your car is in good condition, you should be able to at least hang with the SI. I guess it also greatly depends on the SI's driver. If he is good at launching and shifting, then you might have a bit of trouble. Afterall, the SI is a slightly heavier version of the old RSX Type S. Since you said that he just got his car, he's probably not so good at launching, so...take him from a dig and try to keep ahead of him. If I were you though, I would wait for the spacers and pulley just to be safe!
Old 07-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iforyou
man this could be tough. First of all replace your 19" wheels with stock rims. A stock TL-P does 0-60 in about 6.7 to 7 seconds, 1/4 mile in about 15.2s. With your CAI and if you are good at launching and your car is in good condition, you should be able to at least hang with the SI. I guess it also greatly depends on the SI's driver. If he is good at launching and shifting, then you might have a bit of trouble. Afterall, the SI is a slightly heavier version of the old RSX Type S. Since you said that he just got his car, he's probably not so good at launching, so...take him from a dig and try to keep ahead of him. If I were you though, I would wait for the spacers and pulley just to be safe!
Ya thats what i was thinking to put my 16's back on and race him and plus his engine isnt broke in yet. And he's had a stick before but the last 3 years hes been driving an Automatic so he might be a little rusty too. Hope my pulley and spacers get here soon than if i beat him its just like i got the spacers for free
Old 07-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
yea ull have a pretty hard time beating one of those...u may want to get sum headers instead of pulleys and spacers
Old 07-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do it! And let us know what happens....
Old 07-16-2007, 11:23 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by L's TL
yea ull have a pretty hard time beating one of those...u may want to get sum headers instead of pulleys and spacers

i second that. i had trouble beating one with a stock type s off the line. get your headers, put ur stock 16s back on and race him from a 30 roll. guranteed win. I say 30 roll for one reason. you'll have the advantage of being in 1st gear while the SI will most likely not risk dropping it into 1st and be at very low RPMs in 2nd. You'll have the powerband advantage.

This is how i pick on unsuspecting RSX-Ss lol
Old 07-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by BLack Acura
Ya thats what i was thinking to put my 16's back on and race him and plus his engine isnt broke in yet. And he's had a stick before but the last 3 years hes been driving an Automatic so he might be a little rusty too. Hope my pulley and spacers get here soon than if i beat him its just like i got the spacers for free
If he is rusty and with your mods, you might be able to take him. If he is not rusty then, my money is on him.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

So the guys over on honda tech in the Civic fourm are saying that i will smoke him, saying somethin like TL's have a SOHC and the civics have a DOHC engine which i have no idea what either means.?????
Old 07-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BLack Acura
So the guys over on honda tech in the Civic fourm are saying that i will smoke him, saying somethin like TL's have a SOHC and the civics have a DOHC engine which i have no idea what either means.?????
SOHC- Single Over Head Cam
DOHC- Dual Over Head Cam
I really dont know the difference, but dats what it means
Old 07-16-2007, 06:53 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Well its sort of self explanatory but here is a big explanation SOHC and DOHC are basically two different ways to configure the valvetrain. In the whole valve train setup there are camshafts, lifters, rockers, valves and springs. It is best that the valvetrain is light. Valves open at intervals of 25 times a second at 3000rpm. If the valvetrain is heavy, when the camshaft lifts it the valvetrain will just keep going up until the valve spring catches it. This is called valve float. You can overcome this with stronger (which means heavier) springs, but this extra weight increases the power requirements to open the valve.
The cams are driven by the crankshaft, using either a belt or chain called a timing belt or timing chain. SOHC refers to Single Overhead Camshaft. In SOHC, the camshaft is situated in the cylinder head, above the valves. The valves are opened and closed either directly with a shim between the cam lobe and the valve stem, or via a rocker arm. SOHC engine valve configurations typically have 2 or 3 valves per cylinder. It is also possible to have 4 valves per cylinder using SOHC but this translates into a complicated combination of rocker arms and cam lobe shapes. DOHC refers to Double Overhead Camshaft. This arrangement uses two camshafts in each cylinder head. Two cams per cylinder head means that a DOHC V engine has 4 camshafts because it has 2 banks of cylinder heads. Most of the time it also allows the engine to rev higher. It also allows better placement of the valves in an optimized setup that gives you maximum performance. But the disadvantage of such a setup is more weight, more cost and more complexity. It takes more stuff to drive two camshafts. The main reason to use DOHC is to drive more valves per cylinder. If a SOHC setup can allow 4 valves per cylinder, having a DOHC engine will not bring that much benefits over SOHC and the additional weight. In the end, a SOHC 16 valve engine would have better torque on the low end where the DOHC valvetrain’s weight results in lower torque. But at high engine speeds, the 16 valve DOHC engine’s peak torque and horsepower would be greater. With the amount of valves being equal, SOHC has better low-end torque because the valvetrain package is lighter while DOHC has better top-end power. In the end i think it will be a toss up between both vehicles, both vehicles have different designed engines, different torque, weight and horse power ratings, if i were you i would ask him to race for nothing and see!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Xx06SickspdTlxX
Well its sort of self explanatory but here is a big explanation SOHC and DOHC are basically two different ways to configure the valvetrain. In the whole valve train setup there are camshafts, lifters, rockers, valves and springs. It is best that the valvetrain is light. Valves open at intervals of 25 times a second at 3000rpm. If the valvetrain is heavy, when the camshaft lifts it the valvetrain will just keep going up until the valve spring catches it. This is called valve float. You can overcome this with stronger (which means heavier) springs, but this extra weight increases the power requirements to open the valve.
The cams are driven by the crankshaft, using either a belt or chain called a timing belt or timing chain. SOHC refers to Single Overhead Camshaft. In SOHC, the camshaft is situated in the cylinder head, above the valves. The valves are opened and closed either directly with a shim between the cam lobe and the valve stem, or via a rocker arm. SOHC engine valve configurations typically have 2 or 3 valves per cylinder. It is also possible to have 4 valves per cylinder using SOHC but this translates into a complicated combination of rocker arms and cam lobe shapes. DOHC refers to Double Overhead Camshaft. This arrangement uses two camshafts in each cylinder head. Two cams per cylinder head means that a DOHC V engine has 4 camshafts because it has 2 banks of cylinder heads. Most of the time it also allows the engine to rev higher. It also allows better placement of the valves in an optimized setup that gives you maximum performance. But the disadvantage of such a setup is more weight, more cost and more complexity. It takes more stuff to drive two camshafts. The main reason to use DOHC is to drive more valves per cylinder. If a SOHC setup can allow 4 valves per cylinder, having a DOHC engine will not bring that much benefits over SOHC and the additional weight. In the end, a SOHC 16 valve engine would have better torque on the low end where the DOHC valvetrain’s weight results in lower torque. But at high engine speeds, the 16 valve DOHC engine’s peak torque and horsepower would be greater. With the amount of valves being equal, SOHC has better low-end torque because the valvetrain package is lighter while DOHC has better top-end power. In the end i think it will be a toss up between both vehicles, both vehicles have different designed engines, different torque, weight and horse power ratings, if i were you i would ask him to race for nothing and see!
Now this guy knows his s**t. Well when the race happens ill be sure to record it and show you guys the results,probably will be when i get my spacers and pulleys in.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:30 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Actually i got the some of the info from an article, i do infact know how both the engines operate but if i were try to explain this in my words it would be a jumble mess of stuff and you probably wouldnt understand it!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

He may take you but do it anyway
Old 07-16-2007, 09:38 PM
I need 2 more gears

get headers and put your 16's on and you'll win hands down even if he is a good driver.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Xx06SickspdTlxX
Actually i got the some of the info from an article, i do infact know how both the engines operate but if i were try to explain this in my words it would be a jumble mess of stuff and you probably wouldnt understand it!
lol same here...I can't explain stuff..I could be writing 10 sentences with absolutely no meaning at all....I really have to improve my English....

anyways, the guy who said that you will smoke him because you have SOHC doesn't really know what he was talking about. In the end, straightline speed and acceleration mainly depends on your hp, torque, torque curve, gearing, and weight. I said "mainly" because obviously there are other factors such as drag, car condition, etc. So, SOHC or DOHC, as long as your power ratio is better than his car, your gear ratios are good, and you can drive as good as him, then you will take the win.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Drifting

only if you had the type S everybody will say do it lol
Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Time to Climb

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
it's a good matchup ... go for it
Old 07-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
is this Si and 2-dr or 4-dr??

keep in mind these civics have LSD.. And also, their gear ratios are fairly closer than yours... I drive a 2006 a/t TL and ran my cousins 07 Civic Si 4-dr... I smoked him pretty bad, about a buslength and I only have a CAI installed.. Now that he reflashed//CAI// procats//05-06rsx rims +good tires, he keeps up ok.. He has only beaten me once since then... and I only have A CAI.. but since u have a TL-P.. i have no idea, since i have never seen one run nor have ran one before... good luck tho man.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AcuraTLboi

keep in mind these civics have LSD.. And also, their gear ratios are fairly closer than yours... I drive a 2006 a/t TL and ran my cousins 07 Civic Si 4-dr... I smoked him pretty bad, about a buslength and I only have a CAI installed.. Now that he reflashed//CAI// procats//05-06rsx rims +good tires, he keeps up ok.. He has only beaten me once since then... and I only have A CAI.. but since u have a TL-P.. i have no idea, since i have never seen one run nor have ran one before... good luck tho man.
The si he has is a 4 dr, is your Tl a 6mt. Anyway I know that the second generations are slower by about a sec. in the 1/4 mile stock. But i think that i have a good chance once i get my spacers and pulleys in. Maybe i can delay it futhrer a few weeks soi can get my headers in too. I would usually just race him and i could just do it for no cost but if i beat him ill be mad cause i could of won $100
Old 07-21-2007, 12:09 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

just run him it won't matter
Old 07-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Burning Brakes

i know the TL-S for sure will smoke that civic SI stock vs stock.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AcuraTLboi

In the list of your cousins mods you mentioned procats. Now that Honda is going w/ this single exhaust port head, I would imagine e-Shift should do pretty good. I didnt realize that they made them for the i4, but it definately makes sense.

Sorry for thread jacking, but its good to see a company that provides us great aftermarket support do good financially.