Sponsored by:

1500 mile review of TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1500 mile review of TL

I figure I'd give my 2 cents on my TL that I've had for two weeks

First I don't like the tires (the Bridgestones suck!, I can't wait till I get my Mich Pilot sports)

I think the suspension is not up to task. The car leans too much, maybe new tires will fix this. I don't have confidence in the car when I'm hitting a corner really fast....I could also be that I reach terminal velocity really quick I wonder if the A-spec package might cure this.

The NAVI AI needs to be improved. Before getting this car I rented a lot of cars from Hertz (Pretige collection...because of the incld Navigation system)1000x's better than the Acura system. The computer is really on crack. It tells me to make a U-turn and go 10 minutes back into the city instead of calculating a better (direct) route. The Hertz system is the only reason why I wanted navigation

The stereo is underpowered. There are no DVD-A titles available. I had to buy Diana Kroll. There are no modern artist releasing DVD-A.

Horrible gas mileage. After 1500 miles I am averaging 22MPG (most of the milage is highway...that is really bad)

The car is WICKED fast. Oh my god! This car is a rocket. I might take it back because I KNOW I will get a speeding ticket. This car is a joy.

The NAVI/Radio setup is nice

5.1 is nice, though my 5.1 C70 premium radio system is a bit better than this system.

XM rocks! I'll never go back to regular radio!

I love voice command!

I fall in love with the car everytime I walk toward it.

The dual climate control is nice

I like the auto power sunroof/windows (incld passanger)

Lots of space and pockets inside.

Drivers seat reclines ALL the way back...I like to sleep in my car at times.

All in all, I really like the car. I think this car is incredible.
I give it 8/10 (comparing the car to my old C70 HPT and Honda Accord)
Old 04-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the A-spec suspension and the 18" A-spec rims and you'll feel like you're driving another car.

I can vouch for the wheels only, and when I went from the stock 17s to the 18s .. a very noticeable cornering difference occurred .. in that I was able to stick those turns tightly .. w/o squealing .. however since I'm still on the stock suspension, the lean is there and it's .. as you said... ridiculous.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate voice, I want a route home and it turns radio off, I say radio on, turns radio off again. Thing hears what it want half og which is not even close

other than that nav is awesome, u'r words are lies

eh........ all i got to say about that
Old 04-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Team Antracite Member

Originally Posted by moreace
I hate voice, I want a route home and it turns radio off, I say radio on, turns radio off again. Thing hears what it want half og which is not even close

other than that nav is awesome, u'r words are lies

eh........ all i got to say about that
My 1000 mile review.

Been driving a 100% stock version (Abyss Blue Pearl/Camel/Navigation) for the last 1,000 miles.

- 5.1 sounds nice nothing mind shattering
- XM a must
- Navigation is great! Has performed well. If you know the voice commands there are few errors
- Bluetooth - Awesome - works perfect
- Plent of space
- Ride is a bit rough for my taste you really feel everything. Is there a better riding tire?
- Construction is very good. There are some small rattles that make my skin creep
- Trunk space nice
- Glove box small
- Leather quality - very nice
- Totally comfortable
- Visability is a bit tough, you have to learn to trust those side mirrors
- Stying AWESOME / perfect
- Power AWESOME / would like to see a bit more torque

Overall rating 8.99 out of 10
Old 04-19-2004, 11:05 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How'd you get a 5.1 system in your Volvo? What ear. All sources asy the TL has the first available 5.1 system in North America.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:05 PM
I love cars!

What year, I mean.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

Old 05-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Burning Brakes

The stereo is underpowered.
So many people who are used to "loud" systems mistake power to mean loud. This system has plenty of power, it's just so clean that you get fooled into thinking it doesn't. Listen to any high quality home system and you'll feel the same way. My home system has 1200 watts and because it sounds so clean you feel it and it envlopes you. If you want loud get the Monsoon, it sounds like crap but will blow your ear drums out of your head.

There are no DVD-A titles available. I had to buy Diana Kroll. There are no modern artist releasing DVD-A.
Try looking at DTS as well, lots to choose from.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised about you NAV assesment. I've rented Hertz Never-lost cars for quite awhile and found them to be equally befuddled when you miss your turn. I thought many other reviews indicated the NAV in Acura to be best in class

DVD-A? Could be the Quadraphonic Stereo of the 21st century... time will tell. It would be great if the car manufacturers created a standard interface where you could plug in the audio package of your choice... like a .MP3 player for example
Old 05-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thanks for your assessment, mdplaya. We need more overall reviews like this from TL owners, as these are what give the best picture of the car for newbs.

Don't agree that the stereo is underpowered. Agree that the tires suck.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Pro

[QUOTE=Norse396]So many people who are used to "loud" systems mistake power to mean loud. This system has plenty of power, it's just so clean that you get fooled into thinking it doesn't. Listen to any high quality home system and you'll feel the same way. My home system has 1200 watts and because it sounds so clean you feel it and it envlopes you. If you want loud get the Monsoon, it sounds like crap but will blow your ear drums out of your head.

Totally agree, Norse. Just picked up my new TL yesterday and I am really impressed by the clarity and power of the 5.1 system. I realize that sound quality is totally subjective, but I used to own a Lexus SC430 w/Mark Levinson, which has been reviewed as one of the best car audio systems available and IMHO the DVD-A sound in the TL blows it away.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

[QUOTE=dseag2]
Originally Posted by Norse396
So many people who are used to "loud" systems mistake power to mean loud. This system has plenty of power, it's just so clean that you get fooled into thinking it doesn't. Listen to any high quality home system and you'll feel the same way. My home system has 1200 watts and because it sounds so clean you feel it and it envlopes you. If you want loud get the Monsoon, it sounds like crap but will blow your ear drums out of your head.

Totally agree, Norse. Just picked up my new TL yesterday and I am really impressed by the clarity and power of the 5.1 system. I realize that sound quality is totally subjective, but I used to own a Lexus SC430 w/Mark Levinson, which has been reviewed as one of the best car audio systems available and IMHO the DVD-A sound in the TL blows it away.

Wow, that's awesome that you like the TL 5.1 better than the Mark Levinson. From the reviews that I have read, Levinson is practically the best in the business and lexus' stereos systems have very high solid ratings. I have head the TL sound system, but it was brief as I was more focused on the "driving" during my test drive. When I get my car, I can't wait to really hear the system and test out the highs and lows! I do truely hope you are right in your assessment of the sound quality. :tflamer:
Old 05-03-2004, 02:50 PM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the obsession with "loud" stereos? At half the power (20) the radio is loud enough to overcome any roadnoise on the highway. This car is so silent it doesn't need such a loud radio.

I'll take the DVD-A quality over "shake your fillings loose" quantity anyday!

As long as the radio is loud enough that I don't hear all the crappy noises going on outside my car, I'm happy. Last thing I want to hear is the guy next to me at a stop light with his rice-rocket beehive-in-a-can exhaust.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
I went from the EL42s to the Michelin Pilot Sports AS. I think you will notice a considerable improvement in the ride and handling, including cornering, once you change the tires.

I absolutely agree with the post regarding the need to use the mirrors because of the poor visibility out the back. The headrests, both front and back, really create blind spots at about 4:30 and 7:30. Normally, I adjust my mirrors to ensure that they are out far enough to pick up traffic and show it until it is about even with my front seatback. This allows the traffic to be visible from just before it passes out of the rear window until I can catch it in my peripheral vision. However, in the TL if you do this it will be lost in the blind spot at 7:30 and not be visible in the mirror or the back window. I have had to move the mirrors in a touch to ensure that there is no gap between visibility in the rear window and the mirrors. You absolutely must check the mirrors and do a shoulder check before changing lanes in this car. I am also trying to get into the habit of signalling earlier so that if I screw up maybe someone will lean on the horn.

By and large I love the Nav but it does plot out some odd routes in Toronto. If you are going west and get onto the Lakeshore east of Yonge Street it tries to take you in a big circle to get you onto the Gardiner Expressway from Spadina when there is an on ramp directly from the Lakeshore to the Gardiner. However, when I have missed streets, usually because I am on the phone, I find its rerouting to be excellent.

On one occasion my wife complained about the odd route it took her on. When I checked a map it turned out the odd routing was really designed to ensure that she didn't end up in difficulty getting to her destination because of a number of one way streets in the area. I found that impressive.

I have about 3800 km on the car. I have never enjoyed a new car as much as this one. I never order delivery anymore, I just go and pick it up.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TL_2004_CA
Wow, that's awesome that you like the TL 5.1 better than the Mark Levinson. From the reviews that I have read, Levinson is practically the best in the business and lexus' stereos systems have very high solid ratings. I have head the TL sound system, but it was brief as I was more focused on the "driving" during my test drive. When I get my car, I can't wait to really hear the system and test out the highs and lows! I do truely hope you are right in your assessment of the sound quality. :tflamer:
Don't really understand why you attached the "flamer", but if you were being sarcastic, I did state that sound system evaluation is purely subjective. I happen to like the 5.1 DVD-A system in the TL better than the Levinson in the SC430. I owned an SC from 9/02-9/03, and you can find my posts in ClubLexus (if you think I'm making this up). The Levinson system has great clarity and sounds better when playing CD's, but (IMHO) it doesn't touch the DVD-A system in separation and total sound. Most of the sound seems to come from the front of the car with very little perceptible sound from the rear compared to 5.1 which is all over the car (as it is supposed to be). I personally prefer that. The Levinson system in the SC also doesn't offer XM radio, so needless to say the XM in the TL is better than the Delphi Sky-Phi running through a cassette player in the SC. Don't get me wrong... the Levinson system in the SC is outstanding, but I think the TL system (DVD-A only) is even better.

If you attached the flamer for some other reason... sorry, my bad.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

3500 mile report

I've had my White/Parchment/5AT for about 3 months. Although the car still "wows" me when I drive it, this thread caused me to assess my own experience.

Tires: No problems (maybe it's the mild California climate?) with the EL42s

Rattles: None

Sound system: No issues (plenty of power, and even better sound quality)

Problems: Dealer replaced floor mats (which only delays purchase of after market ones), dealer replaced and repainted front bumper (paint chip where bumper meets car fender)

Navi: no navi...no complaints (I haven't gotten lost one time, either!)

XM: I agree, a definite must have

Engine: Gets me to where I want to go...and gets me there fast.

Gas Mileage: Who cares! But's its still decent

Summary: Definitely made the right choice (over G-35), a bargain for the price, absolutely love driving while enjoying DVD-A sound, still looking for excuses to get in the TL and drive it.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Originally Posted by skotchrox
I've had my White/Parchment/5AT for about 3 months. Although the car still "wows" me when I drive it, this thread caused me to assess my own experience.

Tires: No problems (maybe it's the mild California climate?) with the EL42s

Rattles: None

Sound system: No issues (plenty of power, and even better sound quality)

Problems: Dealer replaced floor mats (which only delays purchase of after market ones), dealer replaced and repainted front bumper (paint chip where bumper meets car fender)

Navi: no navi...no complaints (I haven't gotten lost one time, either!)

XM: I agree, a definite must have

Engine: Gets me to where I want to go...and gets me there fast.

Gas Mileage: Who cares! But's its still decent

Summary: Definitely made the right choice (over G-35), a bargain for the price, absolutely love driving while enjoying DVD-A sound, still looking for excuses to get in the TL and drive it.
That's awesome! Do you mind me asking where you bought your TL from? I am in the market to buy one and was hoping if you had any recommendations? Lucky you though, you didn't have to deal with the struggles of getting one with a Nav!
:clown:
Old 05-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Intermediate

Reply to TL_2004_CA

Bought it through my Credit Union car buying service, so you only deal with the fleet manager (nothing against car lot salesfolks) and got a decent price (I think). They work with Sunnyvale Acura, part of the "Ted Stevens" group of dealerships and they own several Acura dealerships (Los Gatos Acura, etc). So far, Sunnyvale Acura (and Pat the Svc Mgr) has been responsive to my issues. Good Luck with your purchase, sure you don't want to consider a trade to Team WDP? ha-ha
Old 05-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Pembroke Pines, FL

I've owned my TL (WDP, 5AT, Navi) for about 3 weeks and I would just like to say, I love driving this car. This is probably the only venue where I can say that without sounding obsessive. I may start a separate thread, but here are some of my observations. This car fields solid and tight. I don't have any rattles. The engine sounds a little throaty, exactly what you want in a sports sedan. It handles well. OK, if I turn a corner at 90 mph in the rain, it loses traction, where a BMW has super sticky spider tires that allow it to climb walls. Actually, the 5-series has this annoying hyper power steering at low speeds that takes some getting used to. The TL's ergonomics are very good and the interior is beautiful. The stereo sounds very good. I think that its biggest limitations are the source material. Satellite radio is great, but the quality is definitely a step below CD-quality. CDs can sound anywhere from OK to excellent, depending upon how well they were produced. DVD-Audio sounds superb, but there is a lack of recordings and they are expensive. The recording industry hasn't learned much. They create a brand new standard that we can't easily copy and then make it more expensive than the CDs they compete with. The navigation system (with voice recognition) is excellent. It is fast and accurate. The car is a pleasure to drive and I still look for excuses to take a ride. This is the way you should feel about a car. Finally, it's the probably the best value on the road today.

Now the flip side: It should play MP3s. What were they thinking? They must have deliberately disabled that feature. I would like a rearview camera and will probably add one. The outside temperature should display next to the internal temperature setting. We shouldn't have to push buttons to get to it. The car could use more internal storage. The graphite interior should have a wood trim option instead of "carbon fiber." The voice navigation should be able to say "you're welcome" if you tell it "thank you." The screen should have better resolution and should display track information from CDs. They should test the next tires they choose before putting them on 40,000 cars. Acura should keep the car's focus as they upgrade the model over the next few years. Acura should also avoid getting spoiled by success and maintain the car's reputation as a great value. That's all for now.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jonro
I've owned my TL (WDP, 5AT, Navi) for about 3 weeks and I would just like to say, I love driving this car. This is probably the only venue where I can say that without sounding obsessive. I may start a separate thread, but here are some of my observations. This car fields solid and tight. I don't have any rattles. The engine sounds a little throaty, exactly what you want in a sports sedan. It handles well. OK, if I turn a corner at 90 mph in the rain, it loses traction, where a BMW has super sticky spider tires that allow it to climb walls. Actually, the 5-series has this annoying hyper power steering at low speeds that takes some getting used to. The TL's ergonomics are very good and the interior is beautiful. The stereo sounds very good. I think that its biggest limitations are the source material. Satellite radio is great, but the quality is definitely a step below CD-quality. CDs can sound anywhere from OK to excellent, depending upon how well they were produced. DVD-Audio sounds superb, but there is a lack of recordings and they are expensive. The recording industry hasn't learned much. They create a brand new standard that we can't easily copy and then make it more expensive than the CDs they compete with. The navigation system (with voice recognition) is excellent. It is fast and accurate. The car is a pleasure to drive and I still look for excuses to take a ride. This is the way you should feel about a car. Finally, it's the probably the best value on the road today.

Now the flip side: It should play MP3s. What were they thinking? They must have deliberately disabled that feature. I would like a rearview camera and will probably add one. The outside temperature should display next to the internal temperature setting. We shouldn't have to push buttons to get to it. The car could use more internal storage. The graphite interior should have a wood trim option instead of "carbon fiber." The voice navigation should be able to say "you're welcome" if you tell it "thank you." The screen should have better resolution and should display track information from CDs. They should test the next tires they choose before putting them on 40,000 cars. Acura should keep the car's focus as they upgrade the model over the next few years. Acura should also avoid getting spoiled by success and maintain the car's reputation as a great value. That's all for now.
Jonro, thanks for the great insight on your TL. I just picked up my Anthracite/Quartz/Navi on Sunday and haven't been able to drive it much because of the monsoons we've been having. Tomorrow should be sunny again, so thanks to your comments I'm even more anxious to take it to work!

I also live in Pembroke Pines and I saw a WDP on I-75 @ 8am during my commute. Maybe that was yours?! You wouldn't have noticed my car because I have a QX4 as a daily commuter. It definitely blends into the woodwork! :toothless
Old 05-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Pembroke Pines, FL

Dseag2,

You might have seen me on I-75, but not during the morning commute. I'm fortunate to have a 3.5 mile commute, from Pembroke Pines to Cooper City. Fortunately, that storm system is mostly gone, so you can take a nice long ride. Hope to see you around.

Jon
Old 05-04-2004, 10:49 AM
9th Gear

The Voice of Experience

I bought my TL the first week it was available so I can give new owners feedback on 2 subjects -

Tires - I hated the orig ones; flatspotting in cold weather and too rough a ride for me. The dealer replaced them free of charge with the new ones when they became available. Ride improved 100% !!! The car now rides like I expect a new TL should and with no sacrifice in handling. Demand the new tires if you are unhappy with orig.

Gas Mileage - My gas mileage started to improve after 5000 miles. Now at 7500 miles I get 25 mpg (75% highway driving). That's pretty good since I speed every single day (I depend on my radar detector) and it's 270 hp.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Team Anthracite Member

You think highway MPG of 22 is bad, try 19 MPG which I haven't exceeded yet!!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jester
I bought my TL the first week it was available so I can give new owners feedback on 2 subjects -

Tires - I hated the orig ones; flatspotting in cold weather and too rough a ride for me. The dealer replaced them free of charge with the new ones when they became available. Ride improved 100% !!! The car now rides like I expect a new TL should and with no sacrifice in handling. Demand the new tires if you are unhappy with orig.

Gas Mileage - My gas mileage started to improve after 5000 miles. Now at 7500 miles I get 25 mpg (75% highway driving). That's pretty good since I speed every single day (I depend on my radar detector) and it's 270 hp.
Picking up my ride tomorrow!!
What mileage were you getting before 5000 miles?
Have the stock tires changed since yours came off the lot?

Thanks much for the info
Old 05-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Team Anthracite Peon

I've had my car 2 months now. I'm averaging about 22mpg, with about 65% highway driving.

Things I love:
- Audio system (clear sound, plenty of voume for me)
- XM Radio (no more FM for me)
- Navigation (can't believe I even considered going non-navi)
- Interior looks and quality
- lots of room inside
- lots of power and good handling
- looks SWEET with the windows tinted

Things that annoy me:
- EL42 tires suck (working with dealer on this)
- a few rattles
- lack of good DVD-Audio selection (not the car's fault I know)
- not very good rear visibility
- paying $2.50+/gallon for premium gas

Things I hate:
- Acura Corporate/Customer Service

Would I buy this car again? Absolutely, with no hesitations. However, I would negotiate different tires as part of the deal.

-X-
Old 05-14-2004, 12:24 PM
9th Gear

Hey Rishevan !

Last I heard the tires which so many of us were unhappy with were still being put on new cars - maybe there was a warehouse of them they had to go through - and only people who demanded them got the newly re-engineered tires. So at this point I couldn't tell you. You may want to go over it with the service manager after you get the car. If every single bump gives you a jarring ride you probably have the old design.

Before 5000 miles I was getting around 23 mpg in mixed driving.

F.Y.I. I used McGuire's car wash product this week and it worked very well. The bumpers came out with a mirror finish. I can also recommend Lexol leather cleaner - worked well for me.

Good Luck.

The Jester