Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15% off orders from V-LEDS.com

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice

Stuck at home sick so what better to do than put an led order in. Just wanted to clear up a couple things.

For the dome lights, I want something a little less intense than the 30-led flanks. Those things are seriously bright! Although I think that's the bulb I want for the trunk. Anyway, are the 6-led flanks the way to go here if I want something a little less intense for the domes? I thought I read in another thread that the housings are oriented so the bulbs don't all point in the same direction. Is this correct? If so, will this make the light output look odd?

For the reverse lights, I found two different bulbs (36-led bulb and 14-led bulb )that appear to work but, other than the number of led's, I'm not sure what the difference is. Any insight here? Will either of these fit in the housing? I'm looking for additional light output as well as looks since my tint makes it a little hard to see in reverse sometimes.

I figure I'll get the 6-led flanks for the doors and the high power license plate bulbs for the plates like others here have. May get vanity bulbs too but not sure yet.

Anyway, just need to clear up a couple things before I order these. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer

Jim
Old 01-18-2009, 03:13 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by jweb12
Stuck at home sick so what better to do than put an led order in. Just wanted to clear up a couple things.

For the dome lights, I want something a little less intense than the 30-led flanks. Those things are seriously bright! Although I think that's the bulb I want for the trunk. Anyway, are the 6-led flanks the way to go here if I want something a little less intense for the domes? I thought I read in another thread that the housings are oriented so the bulbs don't all point in the same direction. Is this correct? If so, will this make the light output look odd?

For the reverse lights, I found two different bulbs (36-led bulb and 14-led bulb )that appear to work but, other than the number of led's, I'm not sure what the difference is. Any insight here? Will either of these fit in the housing? I'm looking for additional light output as well as looks since my tint makes it a little hard to see in reverse sometimes.

I figure I'll get the 6-led flanks for the doors and the high power license plate bulbs for the plates like others here have. May get vanity bulbs too but not sure yet.

Anyway, just need to clear up a couple things before I order these. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer

Jim
Hey Jim,

I was in the same dilemma as you regarding the domes. I didn't really want the 30, I think a 15 or 20 would be perfect but I could not find one. I ended up getting the 30s. Apparenty you can get a 24 LED panel on ebay, I might try one of those. Ifirahse had the 30 LEDs and he is switching to the 6 LEDs, because the 30s were to bright. I was going to go check out his car but I am without a car myself at the moment so I was unable to. I already placed my orders for the 30s anyways I figure if they are too bright I will just return them and get the 6s.

For the trunk I am definately going to keep the 30.

For the reverse lights I got the 36 LED because I want them to be bright and another guy on here has them and recommended them.

Lastly, I got the 6 LED flanks for the doors and the hp plate bulbs just like you.

-Sean
Old 01-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Pro

Thanks for the input Sean. Sounds like I need to look into this some more as far as the domes and reverse lights go.

Looking at the website (links from my previous post), the description of the 14-led bulbs leads me to believe they are significantly brighter than the 36-led based on the type of led used. They're more expensive but, like I said, brightness is my primary concern for the reverse lights. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any posts where anybody else has used these. It seems like the led market is constantly updating so it's hard to match things up from what's been used in the past.

Can sombody verify the orientation of the dome light housings? I guess I could just pop the covers and take a look but figure it would be easier to just ask somebody that knows already, not to mention it's too damn cold out. If the housings are oriented differently between the domes, or you have to place the 6-led flanks in different orientations between domes, wouldn't this make the light output look off? Say one is pointing downward and one is pointing upward. I would think the light intensity isn't going to match. I guess another option would be to get a bulb with a 360 degree spread (like the towers) so that it wouldn't matter which way the buld sits in the housing.

I know it seems like I'm really overthinking this but nothing blows worse than getting something for your car only to realize that it either doesn't fit or finding out after the fact that there was a better option. Thanks again guys.

Jim
Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I've got a few questions:

1) do you know how long the sale goes?
2) is the center console light inside the armrest?
3) if so, how difficult/easy is it to replace this bulb?

Thanks Guys!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Also, how difficult is it to replace the light in the center armrest?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Intermediate

Really dumb question about LED's for the domes, will they gradually dim and then go off like a regular bulb? I would assume so but you know what they say hapens when you "assume"......
Old 01-19-2009, 11:27 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by arkitect
Really dumb question about LED's for the domes, will they gradually dim and then go off like a regular bulb? I would assume so but you know what they say hapens when you "assume"......
Yes they dim, but a little differently.

I noticed with my original bulbs when dimming they would go from 100% to 90 80 70 etc. all the way down to 0.

When dimming with the LEDS's they go from 100% to 90 80 70 etc., but at around 30%, they just shut off.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 AM
A-SPEC TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which vanity lights would fit, would a bulb fit or would i need a flank?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:13 AM
A-SPEC TL

and another stupid question...when it says 1 pair....its two lights rite, becuz some of them say 2 led such and such in the title....and some dont say anythin but it says 1 pair
Old 01-20-2009, 02:31 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Thanks for the input Sean. Sounds like I need to look into this some more as far as the domes and reverse lights go.

Looking at the website (links from my previous post), the description of the 14-led bulbs leads me to believe they are significantly brighter than the 36-led based on the type of led used. They're more expensive but, like I said, brightness is my primary concern for the reverse lights. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any posts where anybody else has used these. It seems like the led market is constantly updating so it's hard to match things up from what's been used in the past.

Can sombody verify the orientation of the dome light housings? I guess I could just pop the covers and take a look but figure it would be easier to just ask somebody that knows already, not to mention it's too damn cold out. If the housings are oriented differently between the domes, or you have to place the 6-led flanks in different orientations between domes, wouldn't this make the light output look off? Say one is pointing downward and one is pointing upward. I would think the light intensity isn't going to match. I guess another option would be to get a bulb with a 360 degree spread (like the towers) so that it wouldn't matter which way the buld sits in the housing.

I know it seems like I'm really overthinking this but nothing blows worse than getting something for your car only to realize that it either doesn't fit or finding out after the fact that there was a better option. Thanks again guys.

Jim
Luckily they have a return policy not sure how good it is but I will probably be testing it out. So yeah now I am thinking about going with those 14 LED ones for the reverse since they are brighter and the 6 LED flanks for the domes. I am going to have to return a bunch of stuff lol
Old 01-20-2009, 02:32 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Originally Posted by Klutch
and another stupid question...when it says 1 pair....its two lights rite, becuz some of them say 2 led such and such in the title....and some dont say anythin but it says 1 pair
Yeah 1 pair is 2 lights. Usually like reverse lights and turn signals and stuff come in pairs. The flanks and panels are sold individually.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I ordered the 36 bulb reverse and 4 bulbs for vanity, console, and glove box and got 10% off. I tried both codes. Better then nothing. Great place.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:34 PM
A-SPEC TL

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
Yeah 1 pair is 2 lights. Usually like reverse lights and turn signals and stuff come in pairs. The flanks and panels are sold individually.
so even if it says 1 pair for the flanks and panels its only an individual..?

Old 01-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Instructor

can you use the code on his ebay site or just the v-led.com site?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:35 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

so even if it says 1 pair for the flanks and panels its only an individual..?

Sorry for the confusion, the 6 LED flanks do come in a pair. I got mine earlier today.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Just placed my order and got 15% off using the code in the first post.
I emailed V-LED and he said that the 14 LED was twice as bright as the 36 LED. I went with the 14 LED for my reverse, HID high power license plate, .5 watt high power led for center console, and 4 led 2 watt hp M-SMT flank for the trunk (i hope this is the right bulb).
Old 01-21-2009, 07:46 PM
A-SPEC TL

hey, i was hoping someone could be kind enough to check over my order before i place it, i just wanted to make 100% sure the lights are correct

i did as much research as i could....

DOME LIGHTS ( FRONT & REAR )

2 UNITS

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...s_per_page/100

DOORS

1 UNIT

GLOVEBOX (extra can be used for center console also)

1 UNIT

VANITY

1 UNIT

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

REVERSE

1 UNITS

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...ds_per_page/50

LICENCE PLATE

1 UNIT

THANK U
Old 01-21-2009, 08:15 PM
SlammedOnKonis

hey, i was hoping someone could be kind enough to check over my order before i place it, i just wanted to make 100% sure the lights are correct

2 UNITS

DOORS

1 UNIT

1 UNIT

VANITY

1 UNIT

REVERSE

1 UNITS

LICENCE PLATE

1 UNIT

THANK U
Everything looks pretty good!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:34 AM
Advanced

Exterior Pics

Please post pics of exterior lights. Thnks
Old 01-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts

2 UNITS

DOORS

1 UNIT

1 UNIT

VANITY

1 UNIT

REVERSE

1 UNITS

LICENCE PLATE

1 UNIT

THANK U
Thank you! I have done LOTS AND LOTS of research on here too and was still confused. Once I figured it all out I was going to post up my list too. Everyone speaks in part numbers and product types and it's extremely easy to get lost, even as a techie. No one had post direct links like this. So again, thanks!

Putting in my order now...
Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
nice grocery list
Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
^ I know, I placed my order a couple hours ago... -_-

Anyone know if they are quick shippers or not?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Drifting

very fast shippers. i ordered mine 2day on wed and got it on fri.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
OK cool well they are on their way already hehe. Hopefully I like them as much as you do!
Did you ever install these 30 flank boards in the domes? How did they look?

Last edited by Trew; 01-22-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Originally Posted by Trew
Did you ever install these 30 flank boards in the domes? How did they look?
Not going to be able to do it til this weekend, car is in the body shop. Was supposed to pick it up yesterday but now Friday. I got so much shit I am working on right now hopefully I can get to the LEDs lol
Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Drifting

I hear ya... I never have time to spend with my car either...

If/when you install them, let us know what you think.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 PM
SlammedOnKonis

I installed the 6 LED flanks today...much better....
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ifirahse
I installed the 6 LED flanks today...much better....
Was this in the front and rear domes? These are what I am planning on using so good to hear they work well. Do the flanks all point in the same direction in the housings (down for example)? If not, is there a difference in the light output from bulbs facing different directions?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:02 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Was this in the front and rear domes? These are what I am planning on using so good to hear they work well. Do the flanks all point in the same direction in the housings (down for example)? If not, is there a difference in the light output from bulbs facing different directions?
I got these specifically for the fronts because they face directly down.

In the rears I have a different type of bulb.

They work great...not too bright...not too weak.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ifirahse
I got these specifically for the fronts because they face directly down.

In the rears I have a different type of bulb.

They work great...not too bright...not too weak.
Ok, so I have the fronts worked out. Just have to figure out the rears. What bulbs are you using there? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2009, 10:17 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Ok, so I have the fronts worked out. Just have to figure out the rears. What bulbs are you using there? Thanks!
Any 6-led bulb will work. I got mine off ebay for like $5.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm looking at getting these 7w v-leds for the rear turn signals.

2 WHITE 7443 V-LEDS 7W HIGH POWER 20 LED PARKING LIGHT BULBS 7440

2 questions:

1. since these are drawing more power than the standard LEDs that have been used for these turn signals, would a 50-watt resister on each rail be enough to have this on? IOW, I already have the regular 36 LED signals on the front with a 50-watt resister and wasn't too keen on adding ANOTHER 50-watt to each side. I'm wondering if this + the resister that is already there might eat enough juice so another isn't needed.

2. Any problem using white LEDs for the red turn signals? I used amber LEDs for the front. Not sure if having the same color as the lens is better or using white?

are those 6-LED flanks better for the license plate lights? Or would those HID license plate lights be better? I have the ones that were recommended on here and I believe those were only one LED per light. I want ones that are a lot brighter on there because I don't think those are very bright.

TIA!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 PM
A-SPEC TL

hmmm....does anyone know what happened to the HID WHITE 6LED M-SMT FLANK BULB that i listed in my order ( for the domes ) link doesnt seem to work...and i cant seem to find it on the site ??

and after reading the last posts i think im better off gettin just a 6led bulb in the back instead of a flank since its positioned differently...am i correct?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Pro

hmmm....does anyone know what happened to the HID WHITE 6LED M-SMT FLANK BULB that i listed in my order ( for the domes ) link doesnt seem to work...and i cant seem to find it on the site ??

and after reading the last posts i think im better off gettin just a 6led bulb in the back instead of a flank since its positioned differently...am i correct?
Did you already order them? I think the link is dead because they are either out of stock or they don't sell them anymore. Like I said before, the led market changes quickly. I was going to order a couple sets of those flanks this afternoon but realized they aren't on the site anymore. So, probably going to go with these.

More expensive if I remember correctly, but also brighter.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Trew
very fast shippers. i ordered mine 2day on wed and got it on fri.
Is that because their company is closer to FL, cuz i'm in NY and its been over 4 days, and i still havent got mines
Old 01-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Just installed the leds today and I really like the 14 LED 5 watt for my reverse lights. The are so bright they hurt my eyes when I look at them. The 4 led 2 watt hp M-SMT flank for the trunk are really nice too. I was hoping the HID high power license plate leds would be a little brighter but not bad. I have yet to install the .5 watt high power led for center console. Little concerned because of what I've read about how difficult it can be to install.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up Pics please

Twopu can you post pic of liscense plate light to see the brightness. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by djflex167
Is that because their company is closer to FL, cuz i'm in NY and its been over 4 days, and i still havent got mines
I paid extra for 2nd day air.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Instructor

I'll try to tonight.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by twopu
Just installed the leds today and I really like the 14 LED 5 watt for my reverse lights. The are so bright they hurt my eyes when I look at them. The 4 led 2 watt hp M-SMT flank for the trunk are really nice too. I was hoping the HID high power license plate leds would be a little brighter but not bad. I have yet to install the .5 watt high power led for center console. Little concerned because of what I've read about how difficult it can be to install.
Did you use the High Power License Plate bulbs? These are what I was going with so I'd be interested in seeing pics also. I'm not looking for anything overly bright for this area, just good color. No reason to have really bright plate lights imo.

Glad you like the 14-led reverse bulbs. Also going with these so good to hear that they may be worth the extra money.

Quick Reply: 15% off orders from V-LEDS.com