Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 type-s blacked out headlights w/ leds

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
07 type-s blacked out headlights w/ leds

whats up guys i recently had my headlights blacked out. i had the amber bulbs in for a while and then decided to go with the hyper white bulbs. i bought a pair of these so called hyper white bulbs and was very dissapointed in them. so i tossed those out and went with the 20 super flux led bulb from V-Leds. i read somewhere that these wouldn't fit. i think there was an 18 led bulb that did fit in the 04-06 tl's. anyways i did get these to fit with a little modification. these are 10X's better. they look real good and i did install some load resistors as well. here are some pixx

thanks Leedogg for pointing me in the right direction

bulb off durring the day

bulb on DURRING THE DAY!!! wow these are bright haven't seen them at night yet.

i'll post some more pics of them on at night they match the hids very well, i'm happy with them. let me know what you think.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks sick! And bright...

Have you mounted the Maya's yet?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
Awesome I WANT THEM
Old 05-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by PPLAPW
Looks sick! And bright...

Have you mounted the Maya's yet?
thanks man! the mayas are comming very soon i had them refinished
Old 05-02-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm in

Same finish or did you change them?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Same finish or did you change them?
changed them, chrome lips and hyper silver faces. should look real clean on WDP.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As always dude, lookin good.

Did you get it done at Rego? I'm looking to get mine done sometime this summer. PM me where and how much they charged you.

By the way where the hell were you at the meet last weekend?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by lembowski
As always dude, lookin good.

Did you get it done at Rego? I'm looking to get mine done sometime this summer. PM me where and how much they charged you.

By the way where the hell were you at the meet last weekend?
thanks bro! i got alot of catching up to do as far as mods go! just trying to keep up with you guys!
i know, i know i missed it! i was out of town. damn it looks like you guys had a good turnout. would have been nice to go. next time for sure!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
looks nice....did u black those our yourself?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:13 PM
TL SL ML :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great...what's the exact model of the bulb etc...
Old 05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks really good!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
What Maya's are U gettin???
Old 05-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid
looks nice....did u black those our yourself?
thanks! no, a shop here in LA did them for me i just installed the leds.

Originally Posted by blazinginder
Looks great...what's the exact model of the bulb etc...
i got them from here http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=268
the bulbs the 07 tl uses are 1157. i didn't see any 7443 bulbs (04-06 tl) there but im sure you could find some.

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
What Maya's are U gettin???
i have these in 19x8.5 im getting them all refinished they were from my previous tl that was totalled
Old 05-02-2007, 11:15 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Looks very good.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm in

I saw your link for the LED's, your pictures sold me, where did you get the resistors?

Thank you...
Old 05-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Bone stock tl-s

I saw your link for the LED's, your pictures sold me, where did you get the resistors?

Thank you...
same place $9 for both. if you have a 04-06 tl i believe the bulbs are different mine are 1157. 04-06 uses 7443 bulbs i found these switchbacks they're the same size 25mm head http://autolumination.com/switchback.html they also sell the resistors.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 AM
tuning / modding newbie.

what's the law with turn signals and CA? i LOVE the way they look, but I'm not in the mood for "unnecessary" attention (bored police officers) If i'm not mistaken, white is ok right?

and where and how much did you pay for the lights to be blackened? i just don't have the time to do it myself...

NICE WORK!!!

<-------jealous.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:43 AM
tuning / modding newbie.

Originally Posted by jptl04
same place $9 for both. if you have a 04-06 tl i believe the bulbs are different mine are 1157. 04-06 uses 7443 bulbs i found these switchbacks they're the same size 25mm head http://autolumination.com/switchback.html they also sell the resistors.
i thought I read that these were too big for our cars even though the base fits. has anyone successfully installed these?

- sequoia
Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 AM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
nice work jp. any other plans besides those maya's?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:17 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by sequoia
what's the law with turn signals and CA? i LOVE the way they look, but I'm not in the mood for "unnecessary" attention (bored police officers) If i'm not mistaken, white is ok right?

and where and how much did you pay for the lights to be blackened? i just don't have the time to do it myself...

NICE WORK!!!

<-------jealous.
You have to have some amber on the front of your car, so white won't work.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:42 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i got them from here http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=268
the bulbs the 07 tl uses are 1157. i didn't see any 7443 bulbs (04-06 tl) there but im sure you could find some.

i have these in 19x8.5 im getting them all refinished they were from my previous tl that was totalled
Ooohhhh!! That was YOU! You are the one that made me want the Maya's!! Damn they look good. I saw them once on ebay, but I didn't know if they could fit over the Brembos. Can they? I thought you had AT. These in black are an option too! I think they are called the RT5 or something like that? Your's are nice! Glad you ok man! Ride looks nice with that bulb, but I went with the chrome/amber setup...love it too! I think I saw your bulbs on Kennedy's thread from autolumination.com.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Bone stock tl-s

here are some night shots. look how well they match the HID's

people with cleared lenses imagine these reflecting of the chrome housing!! bling! bling! mine are blacked out and still they're bright!

this is what i used to have
Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by sequoia
i thought I read that these were too big for our cars even though the base fits. has anyone successfully installed these?

- sequoia
these are the same size as mine. they don't fit without modding the housing a bit but it's doable. pretty easy i'll post some pics of how i did it in a bit

Originally Posted by XjoEnX
nice work jp. any other plans besides those maya's?
thanks buddy! i have a progress rear sway bar waiting. this month i'll be getting a set of tien ss coilovers w edfc. and hopefully a set of those sick 2 peice racingbrake rotors c'mon mr heeltoe hook us up with a good price$$
Old 05-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not trying to rain on your parade, but those don't look much (if at all) brighter than the PIAA 7443 Hyper whites. Is that what you had before?

I had contemplated going with the LEDs for the signals because of them being -- supposedly -- brighter than that PIAA bulbs, but I'm not sold yet. That and having to add the load resistor (or whatever that thing is called that you need for LEDs to blink at the proper pace) make me shy away from the whole LED route.

I guess if you're into it, that's cool.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Looken Good jp!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Clean Work!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by brettallica
Not trying to rain on your parade, but those don't look much (if at all) brighter than the PIAA 7443 Hyper whites. Is that what you had before?

I had contemplated going with the LEDs for the signals because of them being -- supposedly -- brighter than that PIAA bulbs, but I'm not sold yet. That and having to add the load resistor (or whatever that thing is called that you need for LEDs to blink at the proper pace) make me shy away from the whole LED route.

I guess if you're into it, that's cool.
hold up! i had clear corners leadlights in my previous TL and now in this one. i used those same piaa bulbs. i didn't like them so i got some polarg hybrid lense bulbs they were a little better. tried the chrome ones too, tried raybryg bulbs etc..... trust me i've expirimented with many bulbs. and these are without a doubt the best brightest ones i've ever used. they are easily 5x's if not more brighter than the piaa bulb. and get even brighter when signaling.

as for the load resistor, it's as easy as hooking up two wires! because thats all it is! very simple. then mount them on the metal part of the car behid the wheel well cover.

i felt the same as you about the leds, thats why i tried so many bulbs. so i said fuck it i'll try them. i was not dissapointed
Old 05-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
hold up! i had clear corners leadlights in my previous TL and now in this one. i used those same piaa bulbs. i didn't like them so i got some polarg hybrid lense bulbs they were a little better. tried the chrome ones too, tried raybryg bulbs etc..... trust me i've expirimented with many bulbs. and these are without a doubt the best brightest ones i've ever used. they are easily 5x's if not more brighter than the piaa bulb. and get even brighter when signaling.

as for the load resistor, it's as easy as hooking up two wires! because thats all it is! very simple. then mount them on the metal part of the car behid the wheel well cover.

i felt the same as you about the leds, thats why i tried so many bulbs. so i said fuck it i'll try them. i was not dissapointed
Nice. I appreciate that response. You're starting to make me think this over a little bit. So did you have to route out the hole in the headlight housing or did it just go right in there?

Ideally, if they made a load resistor that had harnesses instead of having to tap into the existing factory wiring, I'd have already done this. Something about changing factory wiring always has bugged me, unless it's for stuff like speakers and stuff.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by brettallica
Nice. I appreciate that response. You're starting to make me think this over a little bit. So did you have to route out the hole in the headlight housing or did it just go right in there?

Ideally, if they made a load resistor that had harnesses instead of having to tap into the existing factory wiring, I'd have already done this. Something about changing factory wiring always has bugged me, unless it's for stuff like speakers and stuff.
after i got the bulbs i test fit them i noticed that the round led heads where what was not letting the bulb go in so....

to make the bulb fit in the housing i used a soldering iron to melt out a couple of small notches in the inner whole. the notches are to accomodate the led bulb heads

i melted out three small notches like this in the inner opening. you could hardley see them. don't use a dremil or file you'll get debris all in your housing then you'll hate yourself. dont hold it too long either use a swiping motion in and out

here you can see one of the notches one is on the bottom and the other is behind the bulb you can't see it. once you melt the plastic it'll be white i used a small brush and some black model paint to touch it up. in your case silver would do.

to get in a good position to do this you'll have to jack up one side of the car remove the tire and the wheel well plastic cover. not hard to do just time consuming if you have a couple of hours to kill you could easily do this mod.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys constantly amaze me with this stuff................looking good jpt !!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:27 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
thanks Leedogg for pointing me in the right direction
Looking good man, and you're welcome

yeah v-leds have some of the latest and brightest LED's
Old 05-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Advanced

Ey jp. so does your blinker blink fast or slow. thanx
Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Racer

hey JP ... looking good.. as always... where in La did you get the headlights blacked out at.. any info? price?
thanks
Old 05-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Godfather of Chrome

after i got the bulbs i test fit them i noticed that the round led heads where what was not letting the bulb go in so....

to make the bulb fit in the housing i used a soldering iron to melt out a couple of small notches in the inner whole. the notches are to accomodate the led bulb heads

i melted out three small notches like this in the inner opening. you could hardley see them. don't use a dremil or file you'll get debris all in your housing then you'll hate yourself. dont hold it too long either use a swiping motion in and out

here you can see one of the notches one is on the bottom and the other is behind the bulb you can't see it. once you melt the plastic it'll be white i used a small brush and some black model paint to touch it up. in your case silver would do.

to get in a good position to do this you'll have to jack up one side of the car remove the tire and the wheel well plastic cover. not hard to do just time consuming if you have a couple of hours to kill you could easily do this mod.
Thank you for those killer pics. That really helps explain the procedure. It looks like it's relatively easy, compared to some of the other stuff I (and others) have done. For my own personal preference, though, I'd probably just pull the entire housing off the car and do it that way instead of poking a smoldering hot soldering iron through my car's innards...ya feel that? Anyway, your job looks good, and I've definitely got some ammo and confidence now that the LEDs will work.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

For headlights that are blacked out that new bulb amazes me from what i've seen the past 2 yrs here.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
im kinda diggin the yellow bulbs in there....too much white....still looking tough though
Old 05-10-2007, 06:33 PM
2010 WDP TL Tech

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If there is anyone else with an 07 TL-S who plans on clearing out there headlights, can you please keep the reflector that you remove as long as it does not get damaged and let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I like the old amber signals better.
Having three different shade of whites (HID, fogs & signals) in the front area doesn't look so good to me.
Nothing will match the same color as the HID, I'd rather go yellow signals and fogs as combo instead.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
アコードタイプSとくれば、喜びもひとし お。思わず投

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
clear headlights FTW!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:28 PM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
JP!!! Thanx for that explanation and pics. Never thought of doing it that way! As I have posted in other threads I plan to do a LED mod to all 4 signal housings and was planning to use a dremel. Your soldering melting method just gave me some new ideas on how to do mine!!! I wish these LED manufacturers took account for realistic sized LEDs that would fit in a factory housing. They are usually too big! And if 1 of these manufacturers came up with the bright idea of a built-in resistor.....

Quick Reply: 07 type-s blacked out headlights w/ leds