Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 G35 vs 07 TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Not sure about exact pricng, but when I looked at G35 and optioned it up to a TL Navi the G35 was still about $2000 - $2500 more which put it in direct line with TL-S, I did not find the G35 pricing to be exceptional, also the TL has a bit more interior space, the G35 is a kick ass performer, but I like th eexecution on the TL interior, cleaner lines.
My G35 Coupe (which I loaded to the gills) stickered for a few thousand more than my TL as well, but I was still able to pick it up for just a shade more than what I picked up our TL for... Just need to find a good dealer... Goes both ways I'm sure... Just saying that pricing should not be the determining factor... Get whichever car suits you best, be it the G35 or the TL. You'll be able to find somebody to deal on price.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Cary
Hopefully my comments are not the reason you are closing this thread.

not at all my friend...

Ive come to the realization that comparison threads do not do well in 3G. They always seem to turn out bad. Plus they are god awful boring...

I send them to Car Talk now because there are more people over there that would give more objective opinions. This type of discussion is just better suited for that forum IMO.

But since we havent had one in a while I figured Id let this one go for a bit...
Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Live in Toronto Canada and I can honestly say Americans are very lucky when it comes to purchasing cars as cars in the US are alot cheaper.

I test drove the 07 G35x extensively. I test drove the 06 TL twice.

I chose the TL. Sometimes I go back and think what if i got the G? but it is done with now.

The regular 07 TL and 06 TL are fairly similar. Nothing too drasticallly different:

Here is my opinion on the 2007 G35:

Wonderful engine and sweet sounding exhaust. The engine is better than the TL I felt. Obviously can't compare really since the 07 G's engine is 80% new from the previous Generation and the 07 and 06 TL engine is already 2+ years old.

The G's sound system is crisp however the bad thing is the 10 inch subs are in the front doors.
If you are the type of person who likes to crank up the volume (not to max but a bit loud sometimes) and direct more fo the sound to the rear speakers, u will be disappointed with the G's sound system. As great as it is, if u direct any of the sound to the rear speakers, the sound quality diminishes since you are directly sound away from the front 10 inch subs. but overall, the sound is real nice if leave it as is.

The guages are nice. Can't say which is better between TL and G cause everyone has their personal prefernce.

Start button is great.

Suspension is nice and cornering is sharp. Unfortunately i was only testing the G35x since all the G35 Sports were sold as they arrived at dealerships.

The curves of the 07 G's design are more rounded than the 07 TL. I think in terms of looks i like the 07 TL more. The front of the G is real nice but the back seems a bit odd.

With cars today, there's enough technology with traction control that RWD drive cars aren't as bad performing as they used to be in the winter. I prefer an RWD over a FWD car.

So why did I choose the 06 TL Navi? Well firstly cause I bought it at the end of November. GOod time since the 07 TLs were rolling in and dealers not only wanna get rid of current stock but sales people are also scrambling for last min sales to meet quotas...

I got my 06 TL with Navi for $48000 Canadian on the road at 3.9% financing.

An 07TL with navi was going for around 53-54K with a finance rate in the 5% range.

Trying to lower the price on a car for a new year isn't easy. Probably $1000 or less at most under MSRP. Cause if you decide not to buy, there are plenty of other buyers who will buy at MSRP for a brand new model that just came out.

Didn't wanna spend that extra 5-6K for a car that isnt' too much different. I wasn't going to consider the TL Type S cause that was even higher.

The 07 G35x was around 54K without navi. But i wanted the navi with 18inch rims and stiffer suspension as the sport looks better.

But that was costing me 57,000 Canadian at 6.8% financing. They wouldnt' budge cause people were coming in and buying the cars straight up at MSRP.

Not to mention if you get the G35 Sport with 18inch summer tires, you are certainly going to have to spend an additional 2-3K on winter tires if you live in Canada.

So was it justifiable to spend about 10K more for an 07 G35 Sport over a navi 06 TL? Not for me I guess but maybe some others?

Overall here is my opinion on both cars:

Engine: G35 is better

Interior: TL is better

Exterior looks: TL is better

Sound System: G is better overall (unless you direct sound to rear speakers)

Comfort: both are equal (G35x and TL) but the G35 S has very very stiff suspension from many articles (such as from car and driver). I bet next yr's G will decrease teh stiffness of the Sport's suspension as they say the G35 S suspension is stiff enough to feel it in your teeth whatever that means.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:34 PM
The Master Doctor

Dingo do you own a G35? No I didn't think so. Do you own a TL TYPE-S? No I didn't think so. How can you make such a statement like it's a fact or something?

I drove an 06 TL for three days while my TLS was in the shop for what ended up being a weak battery. My observation of the regular TL vs TLS is this: TLS has noticeably more power, outrageously improved handling and steering feel, improved interior and seat comfort, much nicer looking externally. The TLS to me was like an entirely different car. The 06 TL was a nice looking car for sure but it was sloppy in the handling dept (compared to the TLS), the power was not "on-tap" you had the floor it, the steering felt less than accurate, it just wasn't up to par.

To be honest if I had to choose between a TL (not TLS) and a G35 I would buy the G35 hands down. I wouldn't have made it to work on at least 5 occasion this winter but... the G35 does seem the better choice.

Now the G35 vs the TLS in my opinion is much much closer. G35 has an advantage in acceleration, but TLS has the handling advantage (FWD can get it done baby).
In my opinion the TLS is a better looking car inside and out. look and feel is something that we all differ on as humans. I love my TLS so much I look forward to driving it every day. I wish I had more places to drive it to. I'm sure if I had the G35 I would feel the same way BUT take my word for it the TLS is right there with the G35 in EVERY WAY.

Just a quick adder: My TLS is one of the best non 4wd vehicles I have ever driven in the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wish someone could so a TLS vs a TL-Aspec just to evaluate the handling
Old 03-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Racer

I drove an 06 TL for three days while my TLS was in the shop for what ended up being a weak battery. My observation of the regular TL vs TLS is this: TLS has noticeably more power, outrageously improved handling and steering feel, improved interior and seat comfort, much nicer looking externally. The TLS to me was like an entirely different car. The 06 TL was a nice looking car for sure but it was sloppy in the handling dept (compared to the TLS), the power was not "on-tap" you had the floor it, the steering felt less than accurate, it just wasn't up to par.
I concur with the handling:

My 05 TL was non-aspec for about 2 days. The change to full aspec was absolutely ridiculous. When I get a loaner I have to remind myself that it's not my car.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr.P
Wish someone could so a TLS vs a TL-Aspec just to evaluate the handling

I owned both at the same time (see my threads) I can tell you the A spec was excellent but the type S is soo different. The type S is a little harder but more compliant mainly due to the harder bushings, the A spec is lower and feels a little more planted on the ground < intitially I was going to put the A spec on the type S but could not find a good reason why.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
according to drift king =) TL-S pwns G35 07 and IS350 =)
Old 04-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Advanced

Fantastic

Originally Posted by goswald80
This thread is probably already dead, but I'll just throw out some food for thought for anyone who bothers to take a peek back here. Coming from a guy who was all about horsepower before getting a "sensible" car, I have to say that you really only need so much [power], and when you have it, you'd be amazed how NOT very often you'll find yourself using it.
305 hp on the new G? What for? Was the gas mileage still too high before? I'm pretty disappointed with my TL's city mpg, and that's with an engine .3 Ls smaller and 45 hps "weaker." How often do you think you'll be stomping the gas pedal over the years you own a car? I assure you, it'll only take one bad speeding ticket before you're driving that G like a Prius. If speed/performance carries that much weight in your search criterion, you're looking at the wrong cars.
These are words of wisdom beyond your stated years!
Old 04-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if ppl care about this thread anymore, but I also recently test drove the 07 G35x and the type-s on the same day.

I did extensive reading about the two cars, and even read some comparison articles, and most tend to say the G35 is better. I needed to see for myself. It might be because I test drove the G35x, but the ride to me was somewhat soft/mushy. I didn't floor it, but it seemed powerful. I like the smart key/push button starter, but it wasn't going to be a deal maker/breaker.

In the end, I purchase the TL Type-S because I prefer both exterior/interior of the TL. The difference in power didn't matter much to me because I'm not looking to race my car. The TL also felt like it had more room, and handled better. The handling is probably better compared to the G35s, but I can't get a rwd car due to winter driving. The 1.9%(Acura) vs. 6%(Infiniti) also had a small part in making the purchase.

I was just surprised that Infiniti offered a great price right away ($36,500 for G35x, Premium, Nav, and I could've brought it down to $36,000 even). It was like pulling teeth to bring down the Type-S to $36,000 at Acura.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

I just want to add in my own ....

I test drove both the G35x and TL extensively. IMO, they are both beautifully styled vehicles. The interiors are almost equally as nice, except for the fact that the G35 has the monitor on every model, which I like. The base TL has those plastic screens for the climate control and radio. The back seat on the TL is a little bit more roomier, and the trunk space is bigger on the TL as well. The big difference comes on when you drive them.

When I first drove the TL, the salesman told me to "floor it", which I did. As I did, my smile got bigger and bigger as I motored down the highway. When I did the same in the G, it was a different smile. That "surge" technology is awesome!! From the moment I stomped it, the car just jetted without any kind of lag at all. Just amazing. Granted, they're not Vettes, but they both have great acceleration, and the edge goes to the G. It handles so tightly on the turns, you drive it with complete and total confidence. It even handled the bumps as nicely as the TL. What got me though, was the price. For me to get a G35X with the same options(w/ premium package) as a base TL, I was looking at $37,200(worked them down to 34.5k). With the rent and bills that I pay, it was a no brainer for me, so I got the TL for 32k.(Insurance cost was another factor. Allstate quoted me $600 more a year for the G over the TL. Yeah, I'm leaving them.)

I absolutely love my TL. When it comes down to it, I think that I made the right decision. But when I drive by the new G in my complex, "coulda, woulda, shoulda" runs thru my mind. BTW, I have seen an 07 S vs a 07 G35x run from a dead stop in person. It was a close one, but the the G won out by more than a car length in the end. Both vehicles had around 3k miles on it, so one wasn't really any more broken in than the other. I could have come down to the driver.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:00 PM
TL SL ML :)

IMO...the only way I'd get a G35x over a TL-S would be if...the extra 20 horses and AWD was a must...oh yeah the price too, if they would come down to near invoice...other wise I like everything about the TL more than the G35
Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I got my TLS last Tuesday and my dad bought a G35 Sport on Wed. He liked the G35 a bit better only because of the seating adjustments. I actually paid about 1500 less then him. From what he said the Infinity dealers wont sell it for $500 over invoice.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Banned

I spent almost 2 full weeks trying to decide between a fully loaded G35 sport vs TL-S... In the end I am happily driving my TL-S and loving it more and more daily.

Although the G35 has better pick up, it seems really loose on the road. Acura's Navi is SOOOO much better then the G35... The bluetooth on the G35 is voice activated only and you can't dial from your phone (according to the sales rep).

I did like the seats better in the G35, but the leather quality in the acura is better.

Basically it came down to price for me. Got a great deal on my TL-S @ $35,000 while the Infinty was near $36500. That's $1500 difference. Plus Acura gave me $1100 more for my trade in. I qualified for the 2.9% financing over 3 years with Acura while Infiniti could only offer 6.5% in the same term. In the end, up front savings is $2600 plus financing. In the end, the TL-S was $6,000 cheaper after finance. That's over 15% difference. No way the G35 was that much better! Not to mention that resale on the TL is better then the G35 even after 1 year..

hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tupacboy1
I spent almost 2 full weeks trying to decide between a fully loaded G35 sport vs TL-S... In the end I am happily driving my TL-S and loving it more and more daily.

Although the G35 has better pick up, it seems really loose on the road. Acura's Navi is SOOOO much better then the G35... The bluetooth on the G35 is voice activated only and you can't dial from your phone (according to the sales rep).

I did like the seats better in the G35, but the leather quality in the acura is better.

Basically it came down to price for me. Got a great deal on my TL-S @ $35,000 while the Infinty was near $36500. That's $1500 difference. Plus Acura gave me $1100 more for my trade in. I qualified for the 2.9% financing over 3 years with Acura while Infiniti could only offer 6.5% in the same term. In the end, up front savings is $2600 plus financing. In the end, the TL-S was $6,000 cheaper after finance. That's over 15% difference. No way the G35 was that much better! Not to mention that resale on the TL is better then the G35 even after 1 year..

hope this helps.

redid the numbers... tl-s is $4000 cheaper which is 10%... either way...
Old 04-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Racer

I also test drove both the G35x and the TL. For a long time my "next car" was the G35. When they came out with the 2007, they fixed a lot of the little things I didn't like about the 2006. (Such as the seat control and mirror control placement.)

I really tried to like the G35. I test drove it several times at different dealerships. I just wasn't impressed. I am a pretty big guy (6' - 300lbs) and I felt cramped in the G. Also the interior materials didn't thrill me.

I test drove a TL-S and it was love at first drive. It may not be quite as fast, but I love the overall package.) Full disclosure. I traded in a 2004 Accord that I never had a problem with. The good experience with the Honda also influenced my decision.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
07 G35 > 07 Tl

I bought a 07 TL-S. I like it much better then the Infiniti
Old 04-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I bought a 07 TL-S. I like it much better then the Infiniti

I like our TL and G35 equally

However, (at least around here)...

Infiniti Dealer Service > Acura Dealer Service

Acura tried to void my warranty, becuase I didn't have the dealer do my routine service.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:07 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Infinity is definitely taking away Tl lovers...with the pricing and the HP ratings. Although Honda beats Nissan any given day. Gact is G's are assembled in Japan and TL's in OH, that counts, too. TL has leaned their lesson on the 2nd Gen drop in perceived Quality, hence they came back with a bang on the 3rd Gen. Meanwhile, Infinity snuck up behind and has taken away potential Tl buyers. It is close. I have ben hemming and hawing the last few weeks. Now I am on a G trip, just because I can not seem to get a good deal on the TL-S. I will test drive a G35-S. And I will partake in this discussion. The only thing is, the wife wants the TL over the G. But not when she saw the 07 G's....she gave the G a break.......what a dilemma.....the G or the T?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
according to drift king.... TL Type-S OWNS G35!