Update on G35

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on G35

Hello everyone,
A few of you wanted me to update on my new G35 after my CL-S loss. I do miss my CL-S. The G35 is a different car, its a four door to start but handles just as well. I'm still breaking it in so I have not romped on it, yet.............Anyways, comparison:

Paint: G35
Handling: G35
Leather: CL-S
Interior: CL-S on some interior parts and G35 on others
Stereo: G35
A/C: CL-S
Fit and finish: G35
Power: Can't really compare yet, but I do miss that CL-S raw power.

These are my opinions and I am as anal as the next guy when it comes to picking a car apart.

Deckard
Old 07-02-2002, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Did you get the navi for the G35?
Old 07-02-2002, 03:20 PM
Advanced

No NAVI. I would never use it and there were not any G35's in silver with the NAVI and premuim package either.

Deckard
Old 07-02-2002, 03:51 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seems like you're hapy with it and thats really all that matters. BTW, don't forget to change that sig!

Old 07-02-2002, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

anyone see motor trend on speed last nite
g 35 kicked bmw 330i ass
anyone watching that show in the market probably was on a line at infiniti this am to buy 1
what a great rating it was given
Old 07-02-2002, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

My first post....

Let me start by saying....... I have been a fan of this forum since 1999. I happend to come accross it while researching for 2nd CL-S. Since then, I have visited this web site almost religiously, but never had urge to write a post or reply to one. Like most of you, I too read car magazines like they were the bible. I visit all the online car review sites or sport enthusiast forums. I have been a long time Honda/Acura customer (see my signature) and I love their products. Well enough said about me......Let me get to the point.

2 weeks ago, I leased my first Nissan/Infiniti product (G35). After refusing the trend of rear wheel drive cars, and sticking loyaly to Acura and Honda, I could not resits any longer. I knew this car was going to give BMW, Lexus, MB, Audi something to worry about. July Road and Track and August Motortrend just confirmed that the Infiniti was a better car for the "money". I agree. I still love the way BMW looks, I love the Audi interior and that Quattro, the IS300 is one fun looking car and the MB, is pure elegance. But for perfomance, value, good looks (except the back tailights) there is nothing better than the G35.

So folks..........I love my CL-S (my daily driver) My wife and my upcoming first boy will be transported on the G35. Here is a quick comparison with my 2 car.

* the are not in the same class, so don't compare them.
*G35 is much, much better in the turns, brakes and overall handling...(no surprise there)
*G35 is faster (I'm sorry to admit it, but it is)
*CL-S engine sound is like no other......sorry Nissan, but you can't make engines like Honda.
*CL-S front wheel drive is the best in the market, but can't compete with RWD.
*CL-S will stay with G35 in the upper band. I have ranced my wife (I won't either, cuz she is pregnant) but I know cars, and It will keep up. However, the gear rations of 4th and 5th kill our CL-S.
*Fit and finish is a toss up. Marginally better is that Acura. Only time will tell.
*Interior- Acura.........the seats of the CL-S are almost perfect.
*G35 had the sounds .......200 Bose Watts can't be wrong.
*G35 xenon with the integrated fogs are cool.......is better looking.
*Acura- Tranmission is much faster to shift when using SS. This is quite noticeable and I love that gate is to the left towards me and not toward the passager. If only 4th was not an overdrive gear, this car will be much better. (I guess the 6sp Cls has fixed that problem)

I can't think of any other right now.........but don't get me wrong.
I really, really, love my CL-S and I plan to keep it. I will add some Headers and CAI, sway bars. So far I have only added 235/45 to the stock wheels and it has made much improvement in handling. Best of all, I don't peel out as much as I did with the michelins.

There you have it my brothers.....my .02$
Old 07-03-2002, 02:24 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Update on G35

Originally posted by Bladerunner
Hello everyone,
A few of you wanted me to update on my new G35 after my CL-S loss. I do miss my CL-S. The G35 is a different car, its a four door to start but handles just as well. I'm still breaking it in so I have not romped on it, yet.............Anyways, comparison:

Paint: G35
Handling: G35
Leather: CL-S
Interior: CL-S on some interior parts and G35 on others
Stereo: G35
A/C: CL-S
Fit and finish: G35
Power: Can't really compare yet, but I do miss that CL-S raw power.

These are my opinions and I am as anal as the next guy when it comes to picking a car apart.

Deckard
Good review. Good luck with the G35.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:05 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
j-maverick,

Add the CT sway bars, they are excllent makes the CLS feels 10x on the curves. I have it, no regrets.

Also, Add CAI, no regret either...

If You can afford the CT headers, get it... it makes the CLS faster than the G35

My 235/45/18 makes a lot of grip in handling too

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2002, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

thank you all for the positive response.

If you happended to be interested in purchasing/leasing a G35, don't be afraid to negotiate on it. Don't believe the B/S that the sales guys will give you " this cars are selling $1000 over MSRP"....
just walk over to the fleet manager and tell them you want $1500 over purchase invoice price.

After some negotiation, I settled for $1700 over invoice, which means I saved around $1400 under MSRP. Not bad, for a car that is in high demand and it's getting many great reviews.
My G35 had R/H D6000 18" wheels and ContiSport 225/45/18 ZR tires, but I don't have the sport package. I do have the premium and HID's and the Bose sys.

By the way, the G35 does not have heated seats "Standard" and the passanger rear view mirrow does NOT tilt dow when in reverse. (that really bothers me!) The placement of the power window switches are too low, and the memory seat buttons are oddly place, not to mentions the power adjustable seat buttons.
Once again, Honda/Acura engineers DO KNOW how to create great interiors, and know how to place all the buttons in their respective place.

J-maverick
Old 07-03-2002, 11:48 AM
Masshole

Re: Update on G35

Originally posted by Bladerunner
Hello everyone,
A few of you wanted me to update on my new G35 after my CL-S loss.
Update that sig, bro!!!
Old 07-03-2002, 12:54 PM
Type S personality

How about waiting a bit and try out the G35 Coupe? I find that one better looking than the 4 door. Honda do have the nicest stick shift however.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Update on G35

Originally posted by tmk70

Update that sig, bro!!!

SIG UPDATED.

DECKARD