3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 G35 vs 07 TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's another link with information and photos of the sedan. Detailed specs too.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/12/n...iti-g35-sedan/
Old 11-02-2006, 10:33 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,530 Posts
It's all very simple, it's what makes most sense to you and what moves you. Trying to apply logic to selecting two similar cars is purely objective and probably different to every buyer

To some it's driving the car and how they use it, others it's how much HP and how fast a 0-60 1/4 mile comes. To some it's push button starting, HFL, sound system, looks/styling, reliability, aftermarket parts availability, RWD, .... whatever. But to make silly statements like "there really is no reason to buy a TL over the G35 unless you want to have an acura badge or FWD" are pointless to debate. At the end of 2007 year sales numbers will determine which marketing department did their best.

Trying to tell everyone that 07 G35 > 07 TL-S because it has 18HP and is made in Japan may make sense to them but will not to all of us. If that's all it was then Ferrari would have a heck of a time selling F430 with Z06 Corvette's selling for ~1/3 the cost. Last I read all of US market 07 F430 are sold out.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,530 Posts
Originally Posted by Donte99TL
So how many pages do you think this will get up too?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrbn2g04AcuraTL
Does the 07 G's have Nav traffic too? I know 07 G's have a way better interior than the old models... But I would wait for the 07 G Coupe before i decide on which one to get...just my
Yes it does with the Navigation Package which changes the price of the G35 Journey from 32,600 to 37,050 (online build it yourself). Wonder why more people buy the TL over the G35? Its the packaging. 2007 TL (not S) with Navi is 36,125. 90% of the premium options on the G35 come standard on the TL. You can't get a TL without a sunroof, XM, HID lites, heated seats, ect. And the TL still looks better than the G35.
The ability to smoke a TL sometimes is negated by your gas mileage all the time.
Now, having said all that, being able to say i had '306' hp under the hood would be nice
Old 11-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There are also options in the G35 that you just can't get with the TL or TL Type-S.

Push button start
Power tilt and telescoping steering column
10 speaker Stereo system
9.5-gigabyte Music Box hard drive
One-touch auto-up/down rear windows
All-Wheel Drive
Intelligent Cruise Control with preview braking
Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS)
Rear Active Steer system
Old 11-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dampfnudel
The trunk-mounted CD-changer on the '07 G35 could make it difficult/impossible to load some items because the housing is kinda big/elaborate.

edit - It's only a problem if you get the navi.
Did infiniti change something? The CD changer on my G35 is in dash, and the DVD drive for the navi is mounted above the glove box.

Edit: Never mind, apparently the 9.5gig HD is where the CD changer used to be.

I suppose. But one could argue that Acura's use of a goose-neck hinge impairs trunk access compared to Infiniti's use of gas-charged struts.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
This time - feature for feature the TL looses big time. For the same money as Type-S 6MT - you can get g35 Sport 6MT with many more options and fetures that it is not even funny.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:15 PM
04 NBP 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On paper, as I haven't test driven these exact cars, I would get the '07 G35 over the TL Type-S or '07 IS350. I think Infiniti just beat Acura at their own game - offering excellent value for a reasonable price. When I bought a car last year, I liked the driving dynamics of the 1G Infiniti G35 very much, but the interior was a deal breaker. At that time, the TL driving dynamics were 90% of the G35's and the interior was clearly better.

The '07 G35 makes me wish I was in the market for a new ride.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:23 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by wilsonzhang2006
I have my heart set on a TL until I saw the pricing on the 07 G35. I don't know about the rest of you, but to me, it's a no-brainer.

07 G35 Journey with Premium package is listed for about $34250, which is $600 less than 06 G35.

07 TL S is around $38500. 07 TL(258 hp) doesn't even compare to 07 G35(306 hp).

The interior of 07 G35 is so much nicer than TL S. Guys, please tell me what I am missing here.

For $4000 less, you get more HP and Japanese-built quality. G is fully assembled in Japan, while TL is in Ohio. I think the exchange rate is the reason they can sell it less than last year. 07G and 07TL-s have very similar standard features.

What gives? What am I missing?
what are you missing? Not only is acura tl interior much better than a G35 but you are the only one to blame to pay 38500 for a tl. Its a commission based sale. i paid 31,700 for a brand new tl in august.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Donte99TL
So how many pages do you think this will get up too?
My guess: thread dies on page 4.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by mrobichau
what are you missing? Not only is acura tl interior much better than a G35 but you are the only one to blame to pay 38500 for a tl. Its a commission based sale. i paid 31,700 for a brand new tl in august.
To each own, but Acura interior is NOT much better if any than the new G35! I am guessing wilsonzhang2006 was talking about MSRP prices not end of the year deals. BTW Nissan/Infiniti tends to be discounted much higher than respective Honda/Acura product.

I just bought my brand new TL 6MT Navi for 31000 and I could have bough equivalently equipped g35 sedan 6MT with Navi for less than $30000 without any haggling!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Instructor

The Infiniti certainly does have more options and for sure more HP. But I think that where the G35 is going to fall short IMO is in ride quality. For me (and many others) ride quality plays a big part in the decision making process. Things like wind and road noise, vibration, etc. One thing that the TL-S has that no one has mentioned is active noise cancelling. Obviously just looking at my avatar will tell you that I don't need my car to be a record breaking speed deamon. I already have a couple of those in my garage. So for me... I like the TL over the G35 in that respect and that is/was enough to sway my decision.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:37 PM
6th Gear

Acura miscalculated!

Acura has been known from the very begining as a value leader, ie, providing comparable features at a very competitive price. However, I feel they miscalculated for 07. TL-s is priced about $2000 too high. They force you to get the Navi with TL-s, which is not very smart. Also, they added a new engine configuration to introduce TL-s, that alone will bring up total cost for the TL line. Infiniti gets smarter for 07 and uses one engine for all trim. That no doubt gives them a tremendous cost advantage. Also, Acura was able to keep the cost low before by manufacturing cars in US and doesn't have to pay import tariff. It works when USD is weak like it's in the last few years. This year, USD has had an extremely strong run against particularly Yen. Infiniti's cost base is in Yen and even with the import tariff, they get better pricing when they bring the cars in and charge USD(with USD/YEN at 117-119, Tokyo all of a sudden seems affordable). That's why similar config G is $600 cheaper than last year.

All in all, I think Infiniti got real lucky considering all the above factors. I guess the sales number of TL and G35 will tell us how lucky they actually are this time around. I would bet G35 will outsell TL. But how long will Infiniti keep the advantage? Who knows, I tend to believe Acura will get the edge when the new redesigned TL comes out in 09.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got an 06 TL in june because I didn't want to wait for the 07 G35 to come out, but I still knew that the 07 G35 was going to be a really great car?

Do I regret getting the TL and not waiting for the 07 G35? No. If I was in the market for a new car right now would I get the G35? Yes.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
To each own, but Acura interior is NOT much better if any than the new G35!
Like you said, to each his/her own, but the new G35 interior is just basically slightly rearranged from the previous gen. Not going on quality, which I'm sure is much better, but just from visual appearance, IMO, the Acura and Lexus are the only two that really stand out in the class.

Obviously, people buy what they like and what they feel is best for them... which is why I got the TL. Can't wait to see what's in store for 09!

(btw - if the 08 G coupe will stay just as the concept, that will be a hot car...diff category though)
Old 11-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xavier25
Like you said, to each his/her own, but the new G35 interior is just basically slightly rearranged from the previous gen. Not going on quality, which I'm sure is much better, but just from visual appearance, IMO, the Acura and Lexus are the only two that really stand out in the class.

Obviously, people buy what they like and what they feel is best for them... which is why I got the TL. Can't wait to see what's in store for 09!

(btw - if the 08 G coupe will stay just as the concept, that will be a hot car...diff category though)
I wasn't going to add anything else to this thread but I felt compelled to post again. I will agree here - I personally think the Acura and Lexus interiors look very, very nice. Better than any cars in their class. That being said, I think the 07 G35 interior is improved over the 06 and is a step in the right direction.

When I first started test driving new cars, I originally thought I wanted a BMW. And a lot of people will say that german cars' interiors are "classy". But if you ask me, that's just another word for "dated". I visit my grandpa a lot and he drives an early 90s BMW. I test drove an 06 BMW and the interior was nearly identical. I'm sorry but I don't want think i accidentally stepped into my grandpa's 15 year old car every time.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:51 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ive driven both and prefer the new G35 in every way. noise canceling crap in the TL-S doesnt do shit. it had the typical honda road noise. new G didnt have that road noise and the non sport handled just as well as the TL-S.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Will Y.
My guess: thread dies on page 4.

Yep, might be more fun if only people that have test driven each would comment. We might gleam something from them....
Old 11-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Only thing i like about the G35 more then the TL is Price & 300hp.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
If I could have bought a 07 g35 for the same discount as my 06 TL, it would have been a no brainer, but new model at full MSRP vs invoice price makes it tougher.

My main complaint with the g35 was the cheezy interior it had. They seem to have addressed this and I love the new car.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
actually I much prefer the looks of the TL than that of the 4dr G35, the coupe is a different story
Old 11-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Advanced

i guess i'm one of the few who's not feeling the 07 Sedan. it looks to me like they tried too hard to make it look coupe like.

had the opportunity to see the 07 during lauch day because my I35 lease was coming to an end and they wanted me to continue with Infiniti. The interior is much improved but honestly not up to the TL yet. All you have to do is take a look at the plastic used for the sunglass holder, and in general the area around the gearshift's very poor on the G35 both past and present.

Having said that, i was surprised the price stayed generally the same as the 06 MSRP wise. That to me is quite an accomplishment given the improvements so i guess they had to cut somewhere.

I ended up getting the TL because my local infiniti dealer has a horrible service department. The car also had multiple small annoyances. i'm not talking about rattles that i might get with my TL but still like the heated seats not working, CD player replaced 2 times in 4 years (clariton's falt i guess). The dealer was never really helpful and the cost of maintaining the car was insane. Nissans might have been reliable in the past but in todays day and age, they're reliablity comes from changing every single part under the engine bay so nothing can break at the cost of owners. And finally, i never developed any feelings for the car. It was just a car but i always remember how with Acura's you feel connected and just appreciate the car more. I'm sure the G will sell, but so will the TL. they're similar yet so different. I rather put my money in a Honda product knowing what the company stands for both in the business world and away from it.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Advanced

07 G35 vs 07 TL

Originally Posted by wilsonzhang2006
.................................................. ................................................Wh at gives? What am I missing?
Difference in quality and dependability. The TL is superior.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:01 PM
fap fap fap

Originally Posted by acurasofla
Difference in quality and dependability. The TL is superior.

yeah im sure. lets see... acura has transmission failures, glass shattering by itself, moonroofs flying off the car by itself, rattles, problems with sh-awd failing (from the RL forum), and so on ....
Old 11-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Advanced

G35 has more horses
G35 has awd and rwd vs tl fwd
TL interior is still better than g35
Price is a wash because a fully loaded g35 can come to 40k+ vs tl-s

Deal breaker? The Exterior! Period. The new G35 styling does nothing for me. I can't imagine myself waking up everyday and walking towards a 07 g35. I refuse.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I had a 2 G35's, now a TL. So far the TL has been more reliable.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:55 PM
tTLiang

I never started to truely appreciate my TL until a few days after I picked up my G35. Too many "what were you thinking?" coming out of my mouth when I drive my G. For example, Memory seat function that doesn't include adjusting side mirrors...."What were you thinking???".

Being a engineer myself I just can't imagine some fellow engineers sat there and said "let's don't include the side mirrors in the memory seat package a" and the rest of them engineers said "amen"..."oh BTW let's hide the memory seat buttons in between the door and the bottom of your driver's seat so people can't see and it's hard to use while they are already in the car" stuff like that....etc etc.

Engine noise, gas padel feeling, child seat anchor covers(G owners know what I'm talking about), glove box, storage, control buttons, homelink (readjust morrior everytime I use #1), driver seat that makes my back hurt after 30min. etc etc. G's got a lot of great features I like. AWD, handling, seat leather, steering wheels.. But with all the bad ones it becomes a very blah car. Honda engineering is much better in terms of package.

I know they've addressed some of these in 07 (for example memory seat buttons location ha). You just never know all these little things until a few days after you owned it. Well I got a pretty good deal on G. However, I drive my TL whenever I can so I can exhale and go...aaaaaahhhh.

07 G35 is a new design. It's supposed to be better. If Nissan engineers fixed all that little "works but not really" problems without creating new ones, it'd be a great car to buy after the price is normalized. Here in NE it has to be a AWD or FWD unless you want to park it for the winter.

TL has been a great car but 07 TL-S is just like putting makeup on a _______ (whatever...fill in the blank here). To me is like morphine before the next design. Well all products go thru this phase.

TL is a great design. IMO that's why it will last longer than some trendy stuff out there (just like Acura Legend did). It will still more than hold its ground if you are in the market for a FWD/all purpose car.

Please stop the HP comparison. YOU JUST DON'T NEED THAT MANY 99.99% OF THE TIME!!!!(I still don't know why I mod my cars lol)" For that 0.01%, most of the cars out there are still more than adequate.

Happy shopping!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
boy I hope you G35 lovers post this much on there forums.....
Old 11-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
IMO I think the current 07 G35 is a better technical car then the 07 TL. However, If I had to do it again (current 05 TL owner) I'd probably still get the base TL over the base G35. Although the G35 has 40+ more HP the TL is still overall better. TL sedan is much better looking than the G35 sedan (even the 07 minor exterior refresh) and TL interior still better.

However, most importantly, I'm just not that much of a driving enthusiast to recognize a discernible difference in the driving dynamics between both cars to opt for the G35. I use the TL to get to and from work, take the lady out every now then and pass the occasional yahoo driving erratically on the highway. Like someone eloquently put before, every year the competition one ups each other and it would be very impractical to trade year after year. Till the 09 TL comes, I'll make the best of my very capable 05 TL
Old 11-02-2006, 09:12 PM
fap fap fap

Originally Posted by ttliang
Here in NE it has to be a AWD or FWD unless you want to park it for the winter.
no it doesnt have to be AWD or FWD. get snow tires and you're fine. my gf used to live in Denver where it snows 6 months out of the year and drove an IS300 without any problems.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:21 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by Infamous425
no it doesnt have to be AWD or FWD. get snow tires and you're fine. my gf used to live in Denver where it snows 6 months out of the year and drove an IS300 without any problems.
I hear ya but most people don't want to----

own 2 sets for each car, change and store them tires and rims
or
drive snow tires all yr around

either way it's a problem and gets expensive.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Drifting

Honda engineering is much better in terms of package.
Goes both ways... With my other TL, I was like, "Why don't the stupid wheel controls illuminate? Why is the moon-roof control hidden on the left side? Why can I seek up but not down using the wheel mounted controls? Why did my tranny blow up?

Then with our new TL.... Why can't I just hit the cancel button to cancel a route? Why do I have to go back through the menu to do that? Why is it so convoluted to add a new address book entry for the current position? Why does the Points of Interest always fail to have what I'm looking for 99% of the time? Why does the navi lock up on me 50% of the time when I use the touch-screen? Why can't I open the damn trunk from the keyfob when the engine is running, even when I'm in Park? Why do the headlights have an auto-off feature, but no auto-on feature? Why are the door-stop positions so far apart? Why does the door slam shut on my leg if I don't hold the door still? Why doesn't the radio have RDS capability? Why does the TSX have MP3 capability and mirror signals, but not the TL? Why is the sunglass holder in the most rediculous place, where it can easily get scratched, bumped, or smashed. (Yes, I've lost a few sunglasses that way)

I don't know, I like the interior of my G35 just fine. I don't know about the 07's, but the pre-07's, my G35 definately has better quality leather than our 05' TL.

Granted, I still love our TL to death, I'm just saying that I don't think the G35's interior is as crappy as everyone keeps implying it is. You should sit in my Pontiac for a few days if you want to see crappy.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

My 04 and 05 G35 Leather was not as good as my TL currently has. It wore a hole in the seat in 1 year 28k of miles. I don't call that really good leather. And Infiniti refused to replace it. Said it was normal wear bs.

G35 interior is good, but not great.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:09 PM
2007 NBP TL-S

I never started to truely appreciate my TL until a few days after I picked up my G35. Too many "what were you thinking?" coming out of my mouth when I drive my G. For example, Memory seat function that doesn't include adjusting side mirrors...."What were you thinking???".

Being a engineer myself I just can't imagine some fellow engineers sat there and said "let's don't include the side mirrors in the memory seat package a" and the rest of them engineers said "amen"..."oh BTW let's hide the memory seat buttons in between the door and the bottom of your driver's seat so people can't see and it's hard to use while they are already in the car" stuff like that....etc etc.

Engine noise, gas padel feeling, child seat anchor covers(G owners know what I'm talking about), glove box, storage, control buttons, homelink (readjust morrior everytime I use #1), driver seat that makes my back hurt after 30min. etc etc. G's got a lot of great features I like. AWD, handling, seat leather, steering wheels.. But with all the bad ones it becomes a very blah car. Honda engineering is much better in terms of package.

I know they've addressed some of these in 07 (for example memory seat buttons location ha). You just never know all these little things until a few days after you owned it. Well I got a pretty good deal on G. However, I drive my TL whenever I can so I can exhale and go...aaaaaahhhh.

07 G35 is a new design. It's supposed to be better. If Nissan engineers fixed all that little "works but not really" problems without creating new ones, it'd be a great car to buy after the price is normalized. Here in NE it has to be a AWD or FWD unless you want to park it for the winter.

TL has been a great car but 07 TL-S is just like putting makeup on a _______ (whatever...fill in the blank here). To me is like morphine before the next design. Well all products go thru this phase.

TL is a great design. IMO that's why it will last longer than some trendy stuff out there (just like Acura Legend did). It will still more than hold its ground if you are in the market for a FWD/all purpose car.

Please stop the HP comparison. YOU JUST DON'T NEED THAT MANY 99.99% OF THE TIME!!!!(I still don't know why I mod my cars lol)" For that 0.01%, most of the cars out there are still more than adequate.

Happy shopping!!!
Great post TTliang. I'm trading up my 2000 TL (which has been problem free) for either the 07 G35 or the 07 TL. I just saw the G35 in the show room tonight. It's MUCH better than last years model both inside and out.
However, it's still not as good looking as the TL inside and out, IMO. The TL is so welcoming inside and with the new updates, it's the best interior on the market.

I'm going to drive the G35 on the weekend to make my final decision, but I'm a guy looking for a Tour Luxury ride (hence TL) not a sports car with 4 doors. If I wanted a sports car, I'd wait for the new G35 coupe.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
My 04 and 05 G35 Leather was not as good as my TL currently has. It wore a hole in the seat in 1 year 28k of miles. I don't call that really good leather. And Infiniti refused to replace it. Said it was normal wear bs.
You have metal tabs sticking out on your pants? The G35's leather is softer than the TL's, maybe that's why. I have 30k miles on both our TL and G35, and our G35's leather is wearing better. Our TL's leather has butt prints in all 4 seating positions that we use, and the leather looks/feels like it's going to start cracking soon. It's already looking like it may start peeling in some places. (And I've been conditioning the leather with Zaino once a quarter as with my other cars, and the TL's leather is the only car we have where the leather is doing this.)
Old 11-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drove a 2007 G yesterday and wow. The interior had been improved a lot. The exhaust is larger and now has exhaust tips on both sides of the car. The engine revs more than the 05 or 06 did. The 306 HP is according to the new rating system. The handling was great and the car really feels more powerful. Road and Track said the 06 would do 0-60 in 5.9 and an 07 with only 250 miles on it did 0-60 in 5.2 seconds...

Oh and they improved the gas mileage by 2 miles around town and 1 mile on the highway. The G35x was the only one that posted the numbers which was 17 and 24 and now they are 19 and 25. Sure not a mileage champ, but the VQ was not noted for having great gas mileage. Better styling, interior, power, mileage and bigger brakes on the X
Old 11-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Safety Car

IBTL. Okay, too many damn threads on this.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by avs007
You have metal tabs sticking out on your pants? The G35's leather is softer than the TL's, maybe that's why. I have 30k miles on both our TL and G35, and our G35's leather is wearing better. Our TL's leather has butt prints in all 4 seating positions that we use, and the leather looks/feels like it's going to start cracking soon. It's already looking like it may start peeling in some places. (And I've been conditioning the leather with Zaino once a quarter as with my other cars, and the TL's leather is the only car we have where the leather is doing this.)

Nope. I am not the only one having issues with this on the forums. I wear shorts or dress slacks most of the time that have nothing coming out the back. It was on the bolster of all places.

Butt prints was fixed in 05 or 06 on the TL. I have the better seats in my TL.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Nope. I am not the only one having issues with this on the forums. I wear shorts or dress slacks most of the time that have nothing coming out the back. It was on the bolster of all places.

Butt prints was fixed in 05 or 06 on the TL. I have the better seats in my TL.
Must be 06', cause I have an 05'. I talked my friend into buying an 06' TL, so I'll check in on his seats

As for the dress slacks, that's what I wear. I'm so anal tho, that I always unbutton my back pockets so that the buttons don't rub on the seats. I also never keep my wallet in my back pocket, but that was on the advice of my back surgeon.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:47 AM
6th Gear

Turning radius & dimensions

I have always liked Honda cars. All my new cars are Honda. However, common to all Honda cars, turning radius is not that good at all. 07 TL still has that problem. It's turning radius is 39.7 ft, while 07 G35 is a mere 35.4, a 4.3 ft difference. That's more than half a lane on the road.

Another thing surprises me. TL has bigger exterior dimensions. However, its interior dimensions are smaller than 07 G. And 07 G has large cargo capacity(13.5) than 07 TL(13). Go figure.

TL does have better gas mileage. 20/29 vs 19/26. That's pretty minimal to me.

Quick Reply: 07 G35 vs 07 TL