Apple Carplay and Android Auto into RLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 02:51 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
I've always felt that the trade-off between always current phone-based navigation (CarPlay, etc.) vs. full, built-in manufacturer navigation was not totally clear to me. I'm good with having both, but here's one reason why I don't want to rely on a system that requires connectivity of any sort.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19...service-outage
Old 05-14-2019, 08:27 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Latest update:
New unit arrived, it’s not my old version. It has dip switches exposed and it rattles.
This time their customer service responded right away and is going to be sending me a new one.

Fingers crossed
Old 06-01-2019, 08:40 AM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Final Update:
Customer Service promised to next day a new one, but it didn’t ship until a week and a half later. It took me several Facebook messenger prompts for them to tell me what is going on. They are not proactive and provide updates even though they say they will.

Their customer experience is horrible, but what is the alternative to CarPlay/AndroidAuto in the RLX.

New version did finally arrive and didn’t rattle this time. Applied the configuration and now CarPlay works longer than 25 minutes and HDMI input works too.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:01 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by fsmith
I've always felt that the trade-off between always current phone-based navigation (CarPlay, etc.) vs. full, built-in manufacturer navigation was not totally clear to me. I'm good with having both, but here's one reason why I don't want to rely on a system that requires connectivity of any sort.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19...service-outage
A few days ago, I noticed that Acura Navigation was updating traffic faster than Apple Maps and providing a better picture of real time traffic problems.

Can’t explain that.

I used to mount a cellular iPad in the car to try to get a better experience, for both Music and Maps. It really was not a better experience in the long run and I gave up on it.

There’s no way that I would deal with what this poster went through to get Car Play, and I will just deal with the car the way it is.

Although far, far from perfect, what car is not?

i see myself hanging on to the KC2 for a while longer.
The following users liked this post:
fsmith (06-05-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 07:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree, I'm not going to spend $500+ for a product with, in my opinion, has too many bugs/issues and dishonest/shady customer service. For what it's worth, I'm working on a different solution. Specifically, I'm fabricating a custom black plexiglass ?case? ?mount? (not sure what you'd call it) that will totally cover the upper screen area and hold this screen: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2396

The idea here is to cover the existing non-touch screen up with an HDMI touchscreen. I plan to connect it to a https://www.autopi.io/ There are multiple software packages that will simulate Android Auto (maybe CarPlay too? I'm not an iPhone guy so I haven't been looking), plus I can connect a chromecast or
other HDMI mirroring device and mirror my phone wirelessly.

Ultimately this doesn't come out any cheaper than the Navtool, but it should be 1.) Reliable 2.) Stable 3.) Much more configurable

The progress is slow-going, mostly because I am *not* a skilled plexiglass or 3d printing fabricator. My goal is to make the screen look finished/factory, but also allow for easy removal (or at least laying it face-down in the upper screen cubby hole) in case I need to get to that screen to change any settings. The timeline is also being hurt as I'm currently packing up my house and moving by the end of the month.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:20 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Originally Posted by K.Rock
Final Update:
Customer Service promised to next day a new one, but it didn’t ship until a week and a half later. It took me several Facebook messenger prompts for them to tell me what is going on. They are not proactive and provide updates even though they say they will.

Their customer experience is horrible, but what is the alternative to CarPlay/AndroidAuto in the RLX.

New version did finally arrive and didn’t rattle this time. Applied the configuration and now CarPlay works longer than 25 minutes and HDMI input works too.
Almost a month in with Firmware R11. It’s been rock solid. I know it’s $500, but I’d spend it again. Actually considering adding it for my wife’s Pilot.

Pros: Full Integrated CarPlay using factory controls. It’s 100% plug and play, not a single wire needs to be cut.

Cons: NavTool customer service. In the end they came through, but it was a painful and a long drawn out process.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Rock
Almost a month in with Firmware R11. It’s been rock solid. I know it’s $500, but I’d spend it again. Actually considering adding it for my wife’s Pilot.

Pros: Full Integrated CarPlay using factory controls. It’s 100% plug and play, not a single wire needs to be cut.

Cons: NavTool customer service. In the end they came through, but it was a painful and a long drawn out process.

Well this is all kind of prototype guys... But now KRock and I have done the testing. Its awesome. I've been using it with chromecast to the HDMI, runs 100%... Not that I watch movies while driving, but its cool while waiting for kid to get off school blasting youtube racing videos in the car. LOL....

@K.Rock Which year pilot? I have a 2017 pilot but I am using a different system and like a $100 box that works pretty well...

Also guys there is an alternative now.

https://gromaudio.com/newsletter/may...-to-acura.html

I have used gromaudio for my old 2002 TL and they were great. But an interface system like this is going to be $500+.... If you want to cut and splice and integrated controls, you aren't going to get anythign close.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:30 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Originally Posted by slider2828

@K.Rock Which year pilot? I have a 2017 pilot but I am using a different system and like a $100 box that works pretty well...
It’s a 2012