What is seating position and handling like in RLX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
What is seating position and handling like in RLX?

What is seating position like in the RLX, particularly the Sport Hybrid?

How does it compare to the current TLX and previous 9th gen Accord? I recall the current TLX had a little lower seating position than the 9th gen Accord and was a little harder to get in and out of if you have lower back issues. How is the RLX?

Also, I've heard the RLX is very compliant and has "soft handling"?

How does the RLX Sport Hybrid handling and cornering compare to the "Normal" and "Comfort" settings in the MDX Sport Hybrid?
Old 09-10-2020, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
You should go find one locally and test drive it.
The following 3 users liked this post by thoiboi:
hondamore (09-10-2020), justnspace (09-10-2020), moose66 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
I'll speak to seat position. I feel like the vehicle feels larger than it is. I came into my RLX, first a '16 and now a '19, out of a '13 Lexus GS450h which was I thought was tight. Wasn't a lot of room in the front or rear. I am close to 6'2" and I felt very cramped in the GS. I feel very comfortable in the RLX even without the seat not being all the way back. It would be nice to have the extended seat bottoms like I had in the GS. Besides that, I am all good.

I won't get into the driving dynamics too much. I think the car has different personalities depending on how you drive it. Good tires are critical and whether or not you are in Sport mode also matters. You have to drive one as thoiboi said to formulate your own opinion.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:34 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by moose66
I'll speak to seat position. I feel like the vehicle feels larger than it is. I came into my RLX, first a '16 and now a '19, out of a '13 Lexus GS450h which was I thought was tight. Wasn't a lot of room in the front or rear. I am close to 6'2" and I felt very cramped in the GS. I feel very comfortable in the RLX even without the seat not being all the way back. It would be nice to have the extended seat bottoms like I had in the GS. Besides that, I am all good.

I won't get into the driving dynamics too much. I think the car has different personalities depending on how you drive it. Good tires are critical and whether or not you are in Sport mode also matters. You have to drive one as thoiboi said to formulate your own opinion.
Thanks. So there is a lot legroom. I specifically meant how low the car rides, if it is a low seating position for a sedan (similar to the current TLX and current 10 gen Accord), or if its more a normal sedan seating position (like the 9th gen Accord).

Also if the RLX is hard to get in and out - the TLX and say an Audi A5 were harder to get into then a 9th gen Accord.

Before telling me to test drive, for my situation, that will take an entire day to test drive and advance planning to make it happen. Hearing others opinions are very helpful if I want to invest the time and effort to make that happen. Thanks.

I'd also appreciate your thoughts on driving dynamics in different modes.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Never been in a TLX or Accord. Maybe someone else can answer that. The seat has good settings if you want sit low or sit high. This is a 4 door sedan and not something like a Corvette that you fall in to and have the lift yourself out.

As for driving dynamics, I am a little more mature and don't need to drag race or haul ass off of stop lights. If I do, I know I can hold my own in Sport mode with my RLX H. I think the car rides well for my liking. My comparison is to my old GS450h. I thought that car was stiff, but had decent go. The RLX seems to drive better to me. Occasionally, I like to kick in the Sport mode on a twisty road for a spirited drive, or merging on a highway. But it rides well in normal mode, and has all of that I need in that mode. Some say it is too bouncy. It could, be. But it isn't your grandfathers Oldsmobile.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:02 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I test drove a TLX Aspec before the RLX. The TLX will have a tighter cabin, center console isn't that wide, and firmer seats with thigh adjustments (lean towards sporty). I'm 6'3" and 290 lbs and the wife is 4'11" and 130 lbs and we didn't have an issues getting comfy in either car in both front seat positions. The RLX felt more comfortable because of the more spacious/upscale cabin, outstanding sound deadening, low engine noise from having 377hp on tap, and softer ride. The cabin of the RLX will be more spacious, 2X the size of center console, curved out door for more outside arm elbow room, easy chair type seats, more leg/head/elbow room for back seaters, and it seemed to have a touch more leg room for me. The RLX does feel more "coupe-like" compared to the TLX. Noticed the steering wheel and door controls are bit of a reach for me compared to my MDX hybrid. I didn't find the over-all height of the seating position to be too low and entering/exiting felt as normal as my MDX.

You don't have IDS modes on the RLX, just Normal and Sport modes (RLX sport = MDX Sport+). The MDX hybrid with electronic dampers feels more sporty and I feel more confident pushing the MDX in the curves compared to the RLX. The RLX is more of a dragster at any speed. The +18 RLX normal suspension is even softer than the MDX hybrid in comfort mode. The softer RLX suspension will only be an issue if you like to drive pretty hard into the corners. I don't notice (and appreciate) the softer suspension in city driving or long hours of hwy driving.
The following users liked this post:
moose66 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
My wife and I are older, and my wife has had both knees replaced over the years. So egress in and out of the vehicle is something we look at pretty closely before buying. Previously my wife had a '12 TL SH-AWD, and we have frequently driven loaner TLX's while having service done. As reference, I drive an MDX. Overall, the RLX is about as good as you're gonna get in terms of ease of in/out in a sedan. The doors open very wide compared to others out there, and with the automatic steering column and seats going back automatically it really makes it easy to get in/out of. And once inside, it doesn't feel cramped at all. Very similar to my MDX in terms of the elbow-room feel and the driving position. It does sit a bit lower than the '12 TL did, but no so much that it's a problem. When driving, it does tend to feel a bit bigger than it is, especially with the '18 redesign and the changes to the hood with those "humps" over the wheel wells. Took some getting used to. The RLX is my wife's "final car" as she's now retired and doing part-time college professor stuff. She finds the sport hybrid about as good as she'd want to get and will drive this into the ground... Happy wife, happy..... ;-)
Old 09-21-2020, 11:51 AM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
What is seating position like in the RLX, particularly the Sport Hybrid?
Depends on your height and size. Several adjustments and I do wish it had the ability to extend the seat cushion--I find it a bit short. Also the side bolsters could be tighter.

How does it compare to the current TLX and previous 9th gen Accord? I recall the current TLX had a little lower seating position than the 9th gen Accord and was a little harder to get in and out of if you have lower back issues. How is the RLX?
Have a TLX SH AWD--the lower cushion is bit longer and I find it a bit softer than the RLX SH AWD

Also, I've heard the RLX is very compliant and has "soft handling"?
Depends on what you are coming from and what year is the car. Relative to an AMG GLC (other car) on 20 inch wheels--yes it is. Relative to a TLX maybe not. Also, I have Michelin Pilots A/S 3+. Completely changes the way the car handles and feels.

How does the RLX Sport Hybrid handling and cornering compare to the "Normal" and "Comfort" settings in the MDX Sport Hybrid?
Do not have an MDX SH