Trunk Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 07:27 AM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Trunk Spoiler

RLX 2020. Got a trunk spoiler installer at the Dealer, after delivery but ater around 3,000 km, noticed that the spoiler was gone !
Looks like it was ripped off. My investigation shows that most likely the sticking tape didn't hold well so the wind lifted it with enough force to break the poor clips, 2 on each side. Sayng this because after original dealer intallation the middle portion of the spoiler didn't seem to stick very well. So went back to the dealer and no go ! the refused the claim and Acura also because they did not have the old part to investigate... So because of 4 holes on the trunk lid, didn't have much choice to install a new one, at least with a little discount.
So beware of your trunk spoiler, make sure it it firmly 'glued' to the trunk lind.
In US the spoiler costs 300$ US... In Canada 800$ CAD $... Rip off you say ???
Old 02-04-2021, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to AZ! I moved your post to the RLX subforum. Sorry to hear this happened.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:14 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,193 Posts
Man that sucks! I also had my rear spoiler installed at the dealership around a year ago. I will double-check it out since it has been 95% city driving since the lockdown.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:23 AM
10th Gear

Yes it sucks.
The spoiler flew off on the highway, only noticed when I got back home.
Yes make sure it is stuck on and no wind can go under.
I have now the habit of checking everytime i go by it.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
That sucks. So they just double side tape the spoilers these days? I thought they drilled some holes to attach the spoiler to the trunk? I need to look at the part to see what that is all about.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

I was right. They do drill and attach. I'd be heading back to the dealer for that one. Pronto!

https://acura.bernardiparts.com/Imag...II09104-04.pdf
Old 02-04-2021, 10:05 AM
10th Gear

Not only tape ! Its also with 4 holes and push-lock pins. Obviously the 4 pins is not enough. If you closely look at the new pins, not much retention from there. Pretty sure that with no tape, slipping you fingers under the middle part would be fairly easy to pry out.
Acura Canada does not want to hear nothing about that, not responsible for this at all. Pretty bad for a car of this price and worse for the price of the spoiler and the supposed expert installation from the dealer. Really have to make sure that the tape really stick well otherwise its pretty expensive, paying twice!
Old 02-04-2021, 10:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Sadly, all businesses are only as good as their worst employee. A beautifully designed rear spoiler that comes with explicit instructions on how to install it perfectly can be completely destroyed by a technician who decides he/she is too good to read said instructions and cuts a few corners to do it "his/her own way".

This has been my experience with Honda/Acura as well over the past 30+ years. I love the attention to detail they put into their engineering but I have been VERY disappointed with their service centres on several occasions. On each of those occasions, when the service manager investigated, the cause of the problem was that the technician didn't follow guidelines set in place to prevent the problem.

This obviously isn't an Acura-specific problem nor an automobile manufacturer specific problem. Allow me to express an "old man" tirade...These damn kids these days just don't give a damn about the work they do. There, I feel much better now, I'll go listen to some AM Radio. (just kidding about the radio)
The following users liked this post:
moose66 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:24 AM
10th Gear

Right on all counts.
Its my 8 th Acura and this sort of service is not on par with Acura's philosophy. There are 3 dealers I could go for service but they all have something 'wrong' .
Wish we could feedback the right people so the philosophy would be more than just marketing.
Sometimes I also wonder as to why we sometimes get a survey about the service we received but it seems that is only when things are ok. When something could be improved, we never get the chance to comment.
BTW AM Radio is still ok for traffic info and sometimes better than Acura's Nav system. Too bad installing/replacing the Nav with Waze or similar on Android or iPhone is so expensive on these high end model. Surprised that Acura did not do it on the RLX but available on the MDX since 2018.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Leclaire
Right on all counts.
Its my 8 th Acura and this sort of service is not on par with Acura's philosophy. There are 3 dealers I could go for service but they all have something 'wrong' .
Wish we could feedback the right people so the philosophy would be more than just marketing.
Sometimes I also wonder as to why we sometimes get a survey about the service we received but it seems that is only when things are ok. When something could be improved, we never get the chance to comment.
BTW AM Radio is still ok for traffic info and sometimes better than Acura's Nav system. Too bad installing/replacing the Nav with Waze or similar on Android or iPhone is so expensive on these high end model. Surprised that Acura did not do it on the RLX but available on the MDX since 2018.
You always have a voice. That is what corporate is for. Even if you think it means nothing, because you might not hear anything, it means something. You can best believe that whomever you are reporting about hears about it. Start with the dealership, and if you feel like it needs to go further, then you go regional. Next is corporate. They don't know there is a problem if it is not reported by the consumer.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts
Wow sorry to hear about this. I also had spoiler installed by dealer. Now you got me paranoid. How to I check if they installed properl? Was surprised to see in the kit new trunk springs. Is the added spoiler that heavy to require new springs? Isn't it just a piece of plastic, can't weight that much.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Just so you know, you do have an option to install GROM VLine2, which is like an Android Tablet for you car. VL2 gives you ability to get Google Maps/Waze and run any compatible Android apps in your RLX. It even let you control via knob dial and steering wheel buttons. Anyways more info here: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-.../#post16686304 GROM VL2 costs $600 but you can find 10% discount codes sometimes around the Holidays or simply asking them for discount.

Disclaimer: I don't work for GROM or advertise for them. I just think they have a great product that may benefit people like you looking for a better Infotainment system.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:33 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by moose66
You always have a voice. That is what corporate is for. Even if you think it means nothing, because you might not hear anything, it means something. You can best believe that whomever you are reporting about hears about it. Start with the dealership, and if you feel like it needs to go further, then you go regional. Next is corporate. They don't know there is a problem if it is not reported by the consumer.
Yes somewhat. I did complain to the dealers' service director who told me he could do nothing more than a little discount on the new one. He told me to call customer relations which I did but to be told that there is nothing they can do. So much for good relations.. Its also not easy to get in contact with regional. Will this problem be noted somewhere since its negative stuff like I mentionned about the surveys ... Sometimes I doubt. If only I could talk to a responsible person who could do something, not just sort of I'm sorry... We'll take note and whatever.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:45 AM
10th Gear

I installed the Navtool in my ex 2017 MDX, worked ok but was not easy, received the wrong cables, smoke came out of their box, replaced it quite a mess to install. Worked ok finally but then decided to change for an TLX and then finally an RLX... Wish I could get some money back and possobly apply it to the GROM, maybe, will need to read monre on people's feedback on this one
Old 02-04-2021, 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator

I installed the Navtool in my ex 2017 MDX, worked ok but was not easy, received the wrong cables, smoke came out of their box, replaced it quite a mess to install. Worked ok finally but then decided to change for an TLX and then finally an RLX... Wish I could get some money back and possobly apply it to the GROM, maybe, will need to read monre on people's feedback on this one
You went from a TLX to a RLX? Good move. I went from RLX to TLX to Accord, and am thinking about coming back to the RLX. If I do the RLX. the Grom unit seems the way to go as it's much more plug and play than the Navtool unit. I bought a Navtool for my RLX when I had it, but never got around to installing it before I traded out for the TLX. I still have it sitting in my garage somewhere, in fact.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Doc Bob, based on your trends, you're due for Civic Type R in your driveway
How's the hunt for RLX coming along?
Old 02-04-2021, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Sorry to read of your mishap. While negotiating my final price on the RLX, I thought long and hard if I wanted the spoiler. Then I thought of my 2012 Acura TL, which after about 5 years of ownership the spoiler started to lift on both ends, leaving a gap. It looked terrible. And the spoiler came with the MT, so it wasn't dealer installed. Either at the factory or at the port of entry. So I decided against the spoiler.

In your case, with holes in the trunk, you're stuck with replacing it, since the drilled holes aren't a good look. Does Canada have an equivalent to BBB you can leverage, or any government consumer protection bureau? Here in the US, at least in major cities, the local stations now have weekly Investigations or Consumer Advocacy segments. Try asking them if they'll take a look, and they will ask the dealer what's up. Most of the time, the dealer will remediate and make a statement about how your specific individual case result was made in error, and that customer satisfaction is their top priority, yada yada yada.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Doc Bob, based on your trends, you're due for Civic Type R in your driveway
How's the hunt for RLX coming along?

Still awaiting concrete information about the Type S before deciding.

As for the CTR...I'd rather continue owning my "Dad Type R" manual Accord , though I'd sure love to flog the CTR on a track for a few laps.
jdpdata (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 02:11 PM
10th Gear

Interested if its compatible and you still have it. Concerns for updates ?
Old 02-04-2021, 02:14 PM
10th Gear

Yup, tried with Consumer Protection Office here but they sais that that would be difficult to prove either the bad installation or bad workmanship, design or whatever. I don't have the part. Plus, I accepted the new installation (to expensivly plus the holes... That is somewhat od an acceptance of the remediation.
Only route would be to escalate to higher up the ladder but that's what we call shit and usually goes down, not up.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Yup, tried with Consumer Protection Office here but they sais that that would be difficult to prove either the bad installation or bad workmanship, design or whatever. I don't have the part. Plus, I accepted the new installation (to expensivly plus the holes... That is somewhat od an acceptance of the remediation.
Only route would be to escalate to higher up the ladder but that's what we call shit and usually goes down, not up.
I understand. But if it was me, I'd raise so much hell. I mean, in what normal scenario or use case would a part fly off? If the product wasn't defective, and the installation was correct, there would not have been a chance for the spoiler to fly off. LOL
Old 02-08-2021, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 186 Posts
BBB is your friend in these situations...
I usually follow-up by 1. contacting dealer, 2. contacting Acura regional corp office, and then 3. BBB ... You have probably the receipt of them installing the spoiler... just because you do not have the part, that does not mean it did not happen. You were not there ripping it off, then trying to claim their fault - for what? To waste your time and get the free part?

The resolution I can see taking place is: you buy a new spoiler / bring the part, and the dealer installs it free of charge as a sign of goodwill...

I just can't believe they would not use screws but instead some clips... trunk being drilled through not for clips but for the screws.... definitely frustrating 1000%
Old 02-09-2021, 08:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
While most of us are familiar with spoiler installs with solid metal bolts/nuts, or even screws into the spoiler - the RLX has a different "pin/grommet" system. If you look at the install instructions http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII12560-04.PDF , you see that after drilling 4 holes in the trunk lid, you slide 4 pins w/sealing grommets into the spoiler, then when you put the spoiler on the trunk lid these 4 pins "snap" into place (along with the 3M adhesive strips around the edges). Now, if the holes drilled in the trunk lid are off by even just a bit (i.e. too large), these clips will not securely snap into place and I could see how over time they could just let go (especially if the prep work for the 3M adhesive strips wasn't done correctly). My guess is the holes were a bit too big an the clips never really engaged the lid the way they should. The only "real" solution here would be to get a new spoiler, and then instead of using the pins/grommets, I'd get 4 short bolts and put a washer on the top side and slide it into the spoiler locator holes, and then after putting it into the trunk lid using nuts to tighten it down. You'd never see it from the outside, but it'd hold regardless of hole size........
The following 2 users liked this post by andysinnh:
rlx015 (02-09-2021), StHalcyon (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 10:03 AM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Acura needs to step up here. So, let's imagine for a second, you're driving down the road and the spoiler flew off, impacted through the windshield of another vehicle behind you, and injured an occupant of that vehicle. You'd get sued, Acura would get sued. Acura installed the part, you drove the car. Who do you think people are going to find liable? There is a chance it'd be both of you, but likely Acura would get the lion's share of the blame for install (unless you did something to compromise it). You'd be doing everything you could to point at Acura and say they installed it while you just drove the car.

So, back to reality, luckily, whatever happened, nobody got hurt. However, the install clearly was not properly performed the first time. You paid the price for the install. You did not get full value for what you paid. The dealerships are tooling you around. They say you have no evidence, the f___ing evidence is the lack of a spoiler on your deck lid. I'd take it all the way to the top, but that's me. Twitter would work well. I'd consider calling out the dealership that installed it and declined to fix it, too. You should not be liable for this.

Last edited by mk5; 02-09-2021 at 10:09 AM.
rlx015 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by andysinnh
While most of us are familiar with spoiler installs with solid metal bolts/nuts, or even screws into the spoiler - the RLX has a different "pin/grommet" system. If you look at the install instructions http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII12560-04.PDF , you see that after drilling 4 holes in the trunk lid, you slide 4 pins w/sealing grommets into the spoiler, then when you put the spoiler on the trunk lid these 4 pins "snap" into place (along with the 3M adhesive strips around the edges). Now, if the holes drilled in the trunk lid are off by even just a bit (i.e. too large), these clips will not securely snap into place and I could see how over time they could just let go (especially if the prep work for the 3M adhesive strips wasn't done correctly). My guess is the holes were a bit too big an the clips never really engaged the lid the way they should. The only "real" solution here would be to get a new spoiler, and then instead of using the pins/grommets, I'd get 4 short bolts and put a washer on the top side and slide it into the spoiler locator holes, and then after putting it into the trunk lid using nuts to tighten it down. You'd never see it from the outside, but it'd hold regardless of hole size........
andysinnh gave me an idea. Measure the holes and their distances against the installation document. If the holes are too big, or not to specs, boom! Nailed them. =)

Another idea is to use social media like Twitter or Instagram and publicly ask why you're stuck with this problem. Big companies don't like bad publicity in social media. Especially when Acura is already having a hard time winning the younger crowd compared to other brands.
rlx015 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 03:45 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the ideas.
I had a new spoiler installed at the dealer and because of this, I can no longer measue ans investigate more. One thing for sure is that the new one is holding on good in the middle whe the tape sticks it. Didn't have much choice to get a new one installed because of the holes. The dealer gave a little discount, hard to tell their cost... So now they are throwing the ball to each other. Not my problem but I still paid hefty to get 2 but just one on the vehicle.
Guess the best idea with no good responce is like you recommended, Social Media.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Leclaire:
rlx015 (02-10-2021), StHalcyon (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 08:55 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the ideas.
I had a new spoiler installed at the dealer and because of this, I can no longer measue ans investigate more. One thing for sure is that the new one is holding on good in the middle whe the tape sticks it. Didn't have much choice to get a new one installed because of the holes. The dealer gave a little discount, hard to tell their cost... So now they are throwing the ball to each other. Not my problem but I still paid hefty to get 2 but just one on the vehicle.
Guess the best idea with no good responce is like you recommended, Social Media.
Yup. Shame them after the fact. Don't give up yet. Hopefully in the end Acura will do right by you.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:16 PM
Rez
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Not sure if the US oem spoiler mounts like my Jdm modulo one, there should be 4 holes drilled- 2 for clips that pop in place and 2 for screws that slide into mounting points on the spoiler along with 3m mounting tape. The nuts are tightened from inside of the deck lid. Peel back the trunk lid lining and look for the 2 nuts and push clips if any
Old 04-03-2021, 06:56 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Rez
Not sure if the US oem spoiler mounts like my Jdm modulo one, there should be 4 holes drilled- 2 for clips that pop in place and 2 for screws that slide into mounting points on the spoiler along with 3m mounting tape. The nuts are tightened from inside of the deck lid. Peel back the trunk lid lining and look for the 2 nuts and push clips if any
Finally got it resolved. Acura talked to the dealer and they refunded me.
Problem with the spoiler is that it hold on mostly from the 3M tape. The spoiler cannot be bolted from inside the lid, no openings but Acura should heve made those. I'm not a car engineer and even less Acura engineering. As long as the new one holds for many years to come.
The following 3 users liked this post by Paul Leclaire:
hondamore (04-03-2021), mrgold35 (04-03-2021), rlx015 (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 12:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Finally got it resolved. Acura talked to the dealer and they refunded me.
Problem with the spoiler is that it hold on mostly from the 3M tape. The spoiler cannot be bolted from inside the lid, no openings but Acura should heve made those. I'm not a car engineer and even less Acura engineering. As long as the new one holds for many years to come.
That is great news. It is certainly pain in the a$$ to go through the process and involve Acura, but you gotta do what you gotta do
Glad it got resolved... perhaps for all new owners planning to do the install, perhaps 3rd party shop is a better option - and ensure that there are bolts holding it down straight up... clips I do not trust in these situations because of the pressure of air the spoiler is put through while going 80-90-100 mph or any other speed for that matter...
Old 04-03-2021, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Mine still on nice and tight. No issues so far
rlx015 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Mine still on nice and tight. No issues so far
About to order mine along with w mudguards and get them installed at a local Acura dealer (Pauley @ Highland Park) in about the week.
Looks like shortage already started on Spare Tire Kit among dealers (most of the dealers I checked with it is on backorder, currently not processing backorder requests due to pandemic shortages).
Old 08-09-2021, 07:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by rlx015
About to order mine along with w mudguards and get them installed at a local Acura dealer (Pauley @ Highland Park) in about the week.
Looks like shortage already started on Spare Tire Kit among dealers (most of the dealers I checked with it is on backorder, currently not processing backorder requests due to pandemic shortages).
There has been a chronic backorder on the spare tire kit, especially for the sport hybrid RLX, for a few years now. When we got ours 2 years ago it took like 4 months to get the kit. You can find one for the FWD version but it's missing the key protection bar for the battery, and the foam insert is a different size. Just fyi.
rlx015 (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andysinnh
There has been a chronic backorder on the spare tire kit, especially for the sport hybrid RLX, for a few years now. When we got ours 2 years ago it took like 4 months to get the kit. You can find one for the FWD version but it's missing the key protection bar for the battery, and the foam insert is a different size. Just fyi.
Yeah, no luck on spare tire kit with any dealers... They are all "on backorder, no ETA" or not ordering them anymore... I guess I will be Ok having the roadside assistance and mostly driving local
Old 09-15-2021, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

I've had no luck, either, through the mainline Acura parts sites, in finding the complete kit for the Sport Hybrid. I ended up finding a spare tire/wheel and jack on eBay for around $140. I have been trying to find the PLU (safety) bar on eBay, looking at pull-a-part sites, etc, with no luck. The SH-specific foam padding I think I can source separately. The situation sucks.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:17 AM
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Dr. Bob - try this site: Spare Tire Wheel Kit for 2020 Acura RLX | All Discount Parts Store

This is the site where I purchased the spare tire kit for my 2016 - they show the IPU Guard (Pipe) as a separate purchase item.

Beware - prices have increased since 2018 when I got my kit for around $170...
Old 09-21-2021, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rlx015
I guess it's just my luck... I will probably need to go back for them to resolve this: after the spoiler was installed, I came home, and given I read this thread before, I was ready to inspect all after the drive home. So, there are two gaps I observed: one on the passenger side part of the spoiler and one in the middle. The second gap was right in the middle - however, the middle one, I pressed slightly and it looks like the tape is holding on Ok - perhaps it was too fresh to go on the highway after installing it (?!) - regardless I will go back and ask them to re-seat it/re-install this so there are no gaps. We'll see how the middle holds up after a couple of drives, but I am pretty sure it will raise up again as something was not done right.
Bit frustrated I have to go there and will probably wait or ask for a loaner, whatever works but it definitely is not installed right...

Old 09-21-2021, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah your spoiler does seems to have more gaps then mine. My middle portion sits pretty flush with the decklid. No noticeable play if I press on it.
It's been 1 year now, no issues with my spoiler flying off on the freeway. I do use a pressure washer so I'm careful not to spray directly on the spoiler.

rlx015 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah your spoiler does seems to have more gaps then mine. My middle portion sits pretty flush with the decklid. No noticeable play if I press on it.
It's been 1 year now, no issues with my spoiler flying off on the freeway. I do use a pressure washer so I'm careful not to spray directly on the spoiler.

Well, I think I spoke too soon ... While I was frustrated, I am now super-pissed... Check this out:

Old 09-21-2021, 10:44 PM
Burning Brakes

And another pic from the bottom-up angle... This spoiler has such a play of at least half inch to an inch... Not even sure what holds it in place other than the clips... Going back tomorrow around noon for this crap to be reinstalled the right way...

Quick Reply: Trunk Spoiler