Test drove the 2014 RLX yesterday I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Test drove the 2014 RLX yesterday I need some advice

HELLO CL
Im currently driving a 2011 Lexus GS350 AWD and planning to trade it in for the 2014 RLX
Yesterday I went to the dealer and test drove the 2014 RLX tech I do like the look of the interior and it does feel premium and luxury I also like the way it drives.
* The car has 30K miles with some dents here and there, has some curve rashes on 4 rims, interior needs detailing. Funny thing is the LED jewel headlights are not leveling right, the passenger side light points downward and the driver side points upward, both of those lights are not pointing at the same level.
* When I drove over the sewer and bump I can feel the suspension made some clunking noise, sound like ball joints or control arms are loose or could it be any other suspension components going bad?
Highway driving was smooth.
I can tell the previous owner did not take a good care of this car.
Dealer wants 34k for the car.

Any members experiencing any related issues above please share.
Usually the first model year is the one that has glitches.
How is 2015? any issues?
Old 05-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Sounds like you are not looking at an Acura dealer.

The headlights need addressed. There's a recall on the Jewel Eye headlights for delamination. Instead of trying to get the headlights fixed, your friendly neighborhood Acura dealer can replace them.

The clunking is a known issue well-documented on this forum. There is TSB requiring replacement of certain suspension pieces. It addresses the clunking noise. This is also something that your friendly neighborhood Acura dealer can take care of.

Can't help you with the curb rash or paint issues, the previous owner obviously didn't care for the car well.

I'd offer $30-32k given the condition of the car and see where it goes. You can always go up slightly.
The following users liked this post:
TLJVN (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
The way you describe the condition of the car I wonder if the dealership is really interested in selling the car?

You'll also want to check the vin to determine if there are any outstanding safety recalls on the car. I believe there were 3 for the 2014 model (I had them all addressed on mine), but you'll want to know that before you make your offer. It should help with the negotiations if you still want to buy it.
TLJVN (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by TLJVN
Funny thing is the LED jewel headlights are not leveling right, the passenger side light points downward and the driver side points upward, both of those lights are not pointing at the same level.
* When I drove over the sewer and bump I can feel the suspension made some clunking noise....
Please check the car's history for accidents.
TLJVN (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Like stated above doesn't sound like it's at an Acura dealership.

You can always take it over to Acura and have them check it out for you. (of course there is a fee)
Old 05-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
I own a 2015 and have experience the issues stated by some folks in this forum that own the 2014. IMHO I believe the 2015 came out with most of the issues addressed, so you probably won't have the issues that the 2014 experienced but it will cost you more. You can still get a deal since the 2016 are now out, but not the deal you can get with a 2014.
TLJVN (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I wrote a long thing and acurazine timed out and erased what I typed. I would go with this if I were you (do an autocheck on it)

2014 Acura RLX For Sale in Chicago, IL - CarGurus

the one that you said sounds like it has had a rough life. I got my car I didn't have a scratch or a dent or any curb rash. It seems they didn't even try to detail the car. The curbrash can't be fixed and each wheel is $220 at the cheapest.
TLJVN (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DASS
The way you describe the condition of the car I wonder if the dealership is really interested in selling the car?

You'll also want to check the vin to determine if there are any outstanding safety recalls on the car. I believe there were 3 for the 2014 model (I had them all addressed on mine), but you'll want to know that before you make your offer. It should help with the negotiations if you still want to buy it.
The car is at a Acura dealer in Chicago
I looked at the carfax report and it only show 294 miles from previous owner and that was it. no service records 294 to 30,000 miles.
1 owner and no accident. No recall or anything.
Did ur 2014 RLX has any suspension noise at all and how did they address that?
I went thru the suspension rattling issue thread but it seem like dealer and ACURA WONT admit that there is an issue with the rattling noise for the 2014 model. This is something that I dont wanna go thru. Dealing with my 2011 Lexus GS350 AWD infamous dashboard rattling is enough hassle for me.
The rattling from the one that test drove really make me think twice.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by krava
I wrote a long thing and acurazine timed out and erased what I typed. I would go with this if I were you (do an autocheck on it)

2014 Acura RLX For Sale in Chicago, IL - CarGurus

the one that you said sounds like it has had a rough life. I got my car I didn't have a scratch or a dent or any curb rash. It seems they didn't even try to detail the car. The curbrash can't be fixed and each wheel is $220 at the cheapest.
here is the link to the car
Used 2014 Acura RLX For Sale | Chicago IL

They priced it 34,000 yesterday but they jacked it up to 35,500 today.
I guess they can keep it
Old 05-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Sounds like you are not looking at an Acura dealer.

The headlights need addressed. There's a recall on the Jewel Eye headlights for delamination. Instead of trying to get the headlights fixed, your friendly neighborhood Acura dealer can replace them.

The clunking is a known issue well-documented on this forum. There is TSB requiring replacement of certain suspension pieces. It addresses the clunking noise. This is also something that your friendly neighborhood Acura dealer can take care of.

Can't help you with the curb rash or paint issues, the previous owner obviously didn't care for the car well.

I'd offer $30-32k given the condition of the car and see where it goes. You can always go up slightly.
Hi
it is at a Acura Dealer.
$34,000 from their inventory yesterday when i test drove it and they do 35,500 today.
If u look closely at the pic where they had the headlights on u can see the lights are not leveling also the pic on the wheel u can see curve rashes.
The windshield is cracked too.
I have read the thread on the suspension rattling from a member that owns the 2014 RLX P-AWS with suspension issue and sound like there is not a cure for it. He stated that both the dealer and Acura are not acknowledging that issue.
I have the dashboard rattling on my 2011 GS350 AWD and its not fun to deal with, it happens mostly when the weather is below 30 and its so intermittent that I brought the car in 4 times already and still no fix.
I should pass on that 2014 RLX with suspension issue
I should pass on this car
http://www.mcgrathacuraofdowntownchi...b4be9a386f.htm

Last edited by TLJVN; 05-14-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Jacking up the price AFTER you were given a firm number at the test drive stinks of bait and switch. I'd expect that from a guy in a plaid suit and white shoes. I'll limit my comments on that to...being tricked/deceived into a higher price is not a good way to enter into a relationship with a dealership.

By the way, that is likely one pretty expensive windshield to replace. The RLX is so rare that the knockoff windshield makers often don't bother and the OEM glass, while top notch quality, doesn't come cheap.
TLJVN (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 12:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

I should add that the headlight beam levels are not usually equal - part of the driver's side beam is slightly lower so as to not blind oncoming drivers.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hondamore
I should add that the headlight beam levels are not usually equal - part of the driver's side beam is slightly lower so as to not blind oncoming drivers.
Thanks for sharing
they driver side is the one that shine higher
if u can look at the pic with the headlights on in front of the garage door u will see it.( the pic was taken from inside the car)

Used 2014 Acura RLX For Sale | Chicago IL
hondamore (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 12:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, I didn't look at the pics. You are right and the headlight recall may have been completed by a junior mechanic who had some parts left over when he was done.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:14 AM
Racer

they make the pics look good I didn't see anything wrong in the pics of that. Did you even see the other one around the area that you are in that I posted? It is probably a 2 hour drive there though. I was going to pass on the RLX with the suspension issue but I didn't hear any noise.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:32 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
With all that damage it sounds to me like the car has seen a lot of off-road. It may be worth inspecting it underneath to see if there is more damage.
TLJVN (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Advanced

they make the pics look good I didn't see anything wrong in the pics of that. Did you even see the other one around the area that you are in that I posted? It is probably a 2 hour drive there though. I was going to pass on the RLX with the suspension issue but I didn't hear any noise.
Hi thanks for sharing
I did look at ur link and that car does look good with pricing and everything.
I prolly wont travel that far due to the fact that there is no guaranty on deals and ect...
There are several 2014 in the Chicago area with much lower mileage and they priced at around 36K but I dont have the time to go check them out yet, I work 6 days a wk.
The reason I went to this Dealer is bc they are just 10 minutes away from my work
I u dont mind where did u buy ur RLX and how is it holding up for u since day 1?
Im thinkng about getting a 2013-2014 Lexus GS350
Thanks in advance
Old 05-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Racer

I have only driven it twice. Today was 2nd drive. I was trying to get my License plate and failed. My dealer still doesn't have the title from the bank. I am getting another temp plate sent to me over night. I am going to have to deal with these people too. I found out today from the actual Bank that financed my car, that they never did a Buy down at all. The BWM place made it all up so I am going to have to get something done. I don't need dentguard. So I can't answer the question how it is holding up. I am still learning how to deal with things. I can tell you it is a different type of car. This thing is big and the turning radius is a lot wider. The GS can maneuver easier in a parking lot but doesn't give anywhere near the gas mileage of this. If you go with the GS you need to get the 2014. You get the folding mirrors, the 8 speed transmission etc. The RLX Is the best value out there. I got this almost brand new for close to half the price. The lexus would be 2 years old at the best or 3 years old normally with atleast 20K miles to be close to this price and with less features. I have had a 2nd gen GS, 3rd Gen GS (is my daily driver).
Old 05-14-2015, 11:28 PM
Advanced

I have only driven it twice. Today was 2nd drive. I was trying to get my License plate and failed. My dealer still doesn't have the title from the bank. I am getting another temp plate sent to me over night. I am going to have to deal with these people too. I found out today from the actual Bank that financed my car, that they never did a Buy down at all. The BWM place made it all up so I am going to have to get something done. I don't need dentguard. So I can't answer the question how it is holding up. I am still learning how to deal with things. I can tell you it is a different type of car. This thing is big and the turning radius is a lot wider. The GS can maneuver easier in a parking lot but doesn't give anywhere near the gas mileage of this. If you go with the GS you need to get the 2014. You get the folding mirrors, the 8 speed transmission etc. The RLX Is the best value out there. I got this almost brand new for close to half the price. The lexus would be 2 years old at the best or 3 years old normally with atleast 20K miles to be close to this price and with less features. I have had a 2nd gen GS, 3rd Gen GS (is my daily driver).
Im driving a 3rd gen gs350 awd now, I totally agree with u that the gs doesnt match in term of MPG, I only average 18 mpg mix driving but 1 thing about the gs is that the suspension is very sturdy and take the bump very well, it also drives very smooth.
Im have owned 3 Acura in the past and i really the interior design of Acura,.
I test drove the 2014 RLX other day and really i like it and the interior is gorgeous, definitely my taste.
If the RLX doesnt have the suspension issue I would definitely pick it over the 4th gen GS350 any day.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:57 AM
Racer

I would get another one and drive it and see how you like it and see if you hear the suspension problem. I didn't feel it on either one I drove.
TLJVN (05-16-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
The car is at a Acura dealer in Chicago
I looked at the carfax report and it only show 294 miles from previous owner and that was it. no service records 294 to 30,000 miles.
1 owner and no accident. No recall or anything.
Did ur 2014 RLX has any suspension noise at all and how did they address that?
I went thru the suspension rattling issue thread but it seem like dealer and ACURA WONT admit that there is an issue with the rattling noise for the 2014 model. This is something that I dont wanna go thru. Dealing with my 2011 Lexus GS350 AWD infamous dashboard rattling is enough hassle for me.
The rattling from the one that test drove really make me think twice.
I personally have had no supension problems, nor have I had any of the rattling issues others have commented about. I did have Acura replace the suspension bolts as part of a safety recall, but that's it.
TLJVN (05-16-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Grandpa

The Sport Hybrid is my second RLX and I did not have any suspension problem on either one.
TLJVN (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 09:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. The 2014 models are a gamble when it comes to "quality" and it sorta bothers me when I see posts here from people being what I consider "irresponsible" in not warning potential new buyers looking at 2014 models of potential issues. I see more "its a great deal, go get it" instead of "be careful, be aware, do your research..."

2014's have problems. 2015 models seem to have gotten better, and 2016's potentially even better. Those are the hard facts backed up by the number of TSB's that have come out (and continue to come out) for the 2014 model versus the substantially fewer number of TSB's that have come out for the 2015 and higher models.

Last edited by holografique; 05-16-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by holografique
Consider yourself lucky. The 2014 models are a gamble when it comes to "quality" and it sorta bothers me when I see posts here from people being what I consider "irresponsible" in not warning potential new buyers looking at 2014 models of potential issues. I see more "its a great deal, go get it" instead of "be careful, be aware, do your research..."

2014's have problems. 2015 models seem to have gotten better, and 2016's potentially even better. Those are the hard facts backed up by the number of TSB's that have come out (and continue to come out) for the 2014 model versus the substantially fewer number of TSB's that have come out for the 2015 and higher models.
You are correct, but also incorrect. This forum represent a small percentage of the 2014 buyers. From what I read, some are happy with their purchase others are not. Some have had numerous problems other have not. I have posted on the 2015 which I have not experience any of the issues posted in this forum. But that not to say other 2015 owners have not had issues. With regard to the TBS, look at any new production car and I challenge you to say they don't have issues or TBSs. The real question is whether you like the car and the company stand behind it with regards to repair. Obviously from reading your post, you may have been one of the unfortunate one that got a lemon. It happen with any brand, not just Acura. My advise to folks reading this forum, is read what other say with a grain of salt, see the car and test drive it, get a comfort level that you feel the company will stand behind it from a repair perspective not marketing. Whether a company sell a lot, market it, to me is academic. It how the car drives and rides to me. Just my two cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by woropallo:
hondamore (05-16-2015), TLJVN (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Thanks so much for sharing
I consider this forum is my backbone for making a decision of a used car buyer, I really appreciate the comments, advises from members that owning the same vehice that i wanna buy, I take those comments, advises seriously. I did walk away from the 2014 RLX that I test drove for the first time and that suspension issue on that particular car really made me think twice, Im not giving up until I have time to drive a couple more, I dont even mind if there is indeed suspension issue occurs on most of the 2014 RLX as long as Acura acknowledge it and will have a fix for it before the factory warranty runs out.
Ur comment makes sense to all buyers...
I made a big mistake of not doing any research before I bought the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder, that car has CVT transmission issue and Nissan ended up buyback a lot of those, I was the unlucky one bc I bought it as a used car so lemon law didnt help me.
For now, I will do much researching on the car that I wanna buy as much as possible and this forum is the best place to gain knowledge of the 2014 RLX.
I admit that I really do like the 2014 RLX and the interior is outstanding.
Once again, I really appreciate comments, advises from members like u.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by woropallo
You are correct, but also incorrect. This forum represent a small percentage of the 2014 buyers. From what I read, some are happy with their purchase others are not. Some have had numerous problems other have not. I have posted on the 2015 which I have not experience any of the issues posted in this forum. But that not to say other 2015 owners have not had issues. With regard to the TBS, look at any new production car and I challenge you to say they don't have issues or TBSs. The real question is whether you like the car and the company stand behind it with regards to repair. Obviously from reading your post, you may have been one of the unfortunate one that got a lemon. It happen with any brand, not just Acura. My advise to folks reading this forum, is read what other say with a grain of salt, see the car and test drive it, get a comfort level that you feel the company will stand behind it from a repair perspective not marketing. Whether a company sell a lot, market it, to me is academic. It how the car drives and rides to me. Just my two cents.
You missed the entire point of my response. The number of TSB's for the 2014 models versus the number of TSB's for the 2015 and higher models is CLEAR indication that there is a GREATER risk of a 2014 model having issues now, and longer term. We are still seeing new TSB's come out for a 2 year old car now. What else is around the corner?

I didnt mention anything about marketing, etc. and I'm not comparing this to any other brand. Im comparing the product quality of different year releases of the same model. The track record on the TSB's speak for themselves.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

I really appreciate comments, advises from members like u.
Thank you for being one of the few that get it and for recognizing im just trying to help.

When people actually take the time to read my posts for what they are and stop feeling like they have to be Acura's spokesperson to defend every word I say that is the least bit contrary to holding the brand on some golden pedestal made of unicorn dust, you see that I'm doing nothing more than trying to provide honest advice to help other Ziners on this board from potentially becoming dissastisfied with what are known issues and problems. Doesn't matter if it was a Sony Playstation, a Samsung fridge, a Glock 19 or a Crafstman pressure-washer, there's nothing wrong with telling someone "hey, be aware there are known issues to look out for, do the research and make sure you dont end up with problems..."

Last edited by holografique; 05-16-2015 at 10:12 PM.
pgeorg (05-17-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Racer

In the red corner weighing ???? lbs woropallo ...... In the blue corner weighing ???? lbs holografique ...

Old 05-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Grandpa

I hate to say this, but, honestly, from everything I have experienced and read, and looking at all of the TSB, I have to say....

(1)I think that the North American RLX in its regular FWD P-AWS form is going to end up being one of those weird cars that just lasts forever but which never recovered from its lack of availability, high MSRP and bashing inside the enthusiast base that is so important to Honda; and,

(2)Although I like these cars and although I'm on my second RLX, I have to say from all I've listened to so far that I would avoid buying an RLX that was manufactured in 2013.

If I got a 2014, I'd look for a manufacture date in 2014, or I'd go for a 2015 or 2016 instead of a 2014 made in 2013.

I hate to say that in public, but that's pretty much the truth of it.

I haven't had any of the problems that people talk about, none of the problems that are a big deal.

I have only experienced little glitches like an annoying voice command system that doesn't understand every accent that I try to use (and I'm pretty much an expert at everything from Received Standard - Windsor to the Piedmont Power Drawl), or like the rear view camera that got stuck once, and once an 8" LCD that didn't want to show me anything at all until the next time I started the car.

However, the bigger problems like holografique's suspension problems, there are too many documented reliable incidents for the complaints to be dismissed, and the complaints are obviously recognized because there are TSB that address them.

So although I'd buy a later car without hesitation, and although I can't see myself parting with my Sport Hybrid for the near future, I'd probably tell friends of mine to avoid cars made in 2013, as just too much of a risk regardless of the deal.

:-(

Last edited by George Knighton; 05-17-2015 at 09:01 AM.
pgeorg (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I hate to say this, but, honestly, from everything I have experienced and read, and looking at all of the TSB, I have to say....

(1)I think that the North American RLX in its regular FWD P-AWS form is going to end up being one of those weird cars that just lasts forever but which never recovered from its lack of availability, high MSRP and bashing inside the enthusiast base that is so important to Honda; and,

(2)Although I like these cars and although I'm on my second RLX, I have to say from all I've listened to so far that I would avoid buying an RLX that was manufactured in 2013.

If I got a 2014, I'd look for a manufacture date in 2014, or I'd go for a 2015 or 2016 instead of a 2014 made in 2013.

I haven't had any of the problems that people talk about, none of the problems that are a big deal.

I have only experienced little glitches like an annoying voice command system that doesn't understand every accent that I try to use (and I'm pretty much an expert at everything from Received Standard - Windsor to the Piedmont Power Drawl), or like the rear view camera that got stuck once, and once an 8" LCD that didn't want to show me anything at all until the next time I started the car.

However, the bigger problems like holografique's suspension problems, there are too many documented reliable incidents for the complaints to be dismissed, and the complaints are obviously recognized because there are TSB that address them.

So although I'd buy a later car without hesitation, and although I can't see myself parting with my Sport Hybrid for the near future, I'd probably tell friends of mine to avoid cars made in 2013, as just too much of a risk regardless of the deal.

I agree with your advise George, I am not a fan of buying 1st year production, or redesigned, cars since I too have had a bad experience with buying this type of car. Since then I have always waited until the following year, in fact that what I did with the RLX, I brought the 2015 even though the 2014 was offer at a better deal. All I was saying in my previous post was that folks should not use TSBs as the only factor in their decision. From doing a Google search many brands have TSBs, more than the number listed for the RLX, and also range over multiple years.
pgeorg (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 11:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by woropallo
I agree with your advise George, I am not a fan of buying 1st year production, or redesigned, cars since I too have had a bad experience with buying this type of car. Since then I have always waited until the following year, in fact that what I did with the RLX, I brought the 2015 even though the 2014 was offer at a better deal. All I was saying in my previous post was that folks should not use TSBs as the only factor in their decision. From doing a Google search many brands have TSBs, more than the number listed for the RLX, and also range over multiple years.
Hilarious. George is saying the exact same thing I did. "Dont buy the 2014 models.."

*facepalm*

And the number of TSB's are absolutelty a mark of measurment for the quality behind the build of a vehicle. A car with 50 TSB's versus 5 TSB's is a clear indicator that SOMETHING was definitely not done right at the design and production phase of the vehicle with the larger number of TSB's. A TSB is by definition something that was NOT supposed to happen, or intended in the design or the result of bad design or quality. A car with more TSB's than the other is a pretty clear sign that there is a greater chance of more issues to continue cropping up over time versus a car with fewer TSBs/issues.

Last edited by holografique; 05-17-2015 at 11:38 AM.
pgeorg (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks George.

Now I'm just trying to understand how all that was lost in my earlier posts. Didnt I say the 2014 models were a risk? Havent I on numerous occassions recomended folks to either wait for 2015 models to go down in price or fork out the extra cash for a 2016 model?
Old 05-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Im curious, why do you "hate" having to say that in public? What is soo wrong with communicating a mistake or a problem or indicating a place where there is room for improvement? Is brand loyalty that important?

Every company, in every market miss their "mark" on occassion. The important thing is their awareness of how to improve it moving forward and avoid repeating the same mistakes. And awareness doesnt happen when customers (and enthusiasts alike) don't speak out...

Last edited by holografique; 05-17-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Grandpa

Hilarious. George is saying the exact same thing I did. "Dont buy the 2014 models.."
Well.... Not exactly the same thing.

My car's a 2014, but made in 2014.

My first 2014 was made in December 2013, so maybe they'd finished some fine tuning by then.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Racer

And the number of TSB's are absolutelty a mark of measurment for the quality behind the build of a vehicle. A car with 50 TSB's versus 5 TSB's is a clear indicator that SOMETHING was definitely not done right at the design and production phase of the vehicle with the larger number of TSB's. A TSB is by definition something that was NOT supposed to happen, or intended in the design or the result of bad design or quality. A car with more TSB's than the other is a pretty clear sign that there is a greater chance of more issues to continue cropping up over time versus a car with fewer TSBs/issues.[/QUOTE]

In reading your post I don't disagree with what you say, it appears to be the same thing I am saying, except I also stated that the TSBs should not be the only factor one takes into the decision as to whether to buy a car or not. You have your buying approach and I have mine. To me this whole volley of posting back and forth is academic, we both are trying to help the requestor with the answer to the question. In the end it will be his decision and hopefully we both helped.
The following 2 users liked this post by woropallo:
pgeorg (05-17-2015), sooththetruth (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I assume we are relating the volume of TSBs to the relative quality of an automobile, but let me remind you that my business partner took delivery of his 2015 MB S550 with just about all the option boxes checked, having spent well over $100,000 on the car (not on a lease), and he has hardly had the car in his driveway a total of one week, and it has been months since he took delivery. It has been one electrical gremlin after another while in the dealer's hands! It is so bad that he may get a new car all together as even the dealer is frustrated that they can't resolve the car's technical issues. Forget TSBs. I don't think one person has been stuck in their driveway or on the road for any of these issues with the RLX. Have they been frustrating? Yes. Any of them crippling? No. So not that I am overly sensitive to negative comments about the RLX, I am being objective. My MDX has not spent one second in the dealer's hands for anything in 1 year of ownership. Not one second. I have only performed normal maintenance and have not had one rattle, mis-que or issue to complain about. That has never happened to me with any car and the 2014 MDX was a first year run after a MMC. Overall I am complimenting ACURA quality still.
The following 5 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
hondamore (05-17-2015), JM2010 SH-AWD (05-18-2015), krava (05-17-2015), pgeorg (05-18-2015), woropallo (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
While I wouldn't argue that more TSBs are necessarily a good thing, one might also surmise that - all other things being equal - fewer TSBs could mean that the manufacturer has not been as diligent at finding and issuing corrective actions, and therefore that there could be more problems to be found later. Just saying that there are many factors involved.
The following 5 users liked this post by fsmith:
hondamore (05-18-2015), krava (05-17-2015), pgeorg (05-18-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (05-17-2015), woropallo (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 11:50 PM
Racer

Good point. Take the problem with the 06 GS 300 and now reports of the 07-09's etc. The engine has a design flaw and it can't ever be fixed. It cost $6,000 to drop the engine and clean out the carbon but it will happen again and again because of the design flaw. There is NO fixing that. So if the 06 GS only had 1 TSB and that was it. It wouldn't be worth getting but that wasn't discovered until 5-6 years down the road.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:51 AM
Grandpa

Good point. Take the problem with the 06 GS 300 and now reports of the 07-09's etc. The engine has a design flaw and it can't ever be fixed. It cost $6,000 to drop the engine and clean out the carbon but it will happen again and again because of the design flaw. There is NO fixing that. So if the 06 GS only had 1 TSB and that was it. It wouldn't be worth getting but that wasn't discovered until 5-6 years down the road.
Honda waited a very long time for direct injection because this is exactly what they were afraid of.

Every time somebody asked about it, the answer sounded like, "We have to redesign the heads. You're not going to get more power and more fuel economy out of these heads. Not if you want the motor to last."
pgeorg (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
My Paws was manufactured in July of 2013. I guess that I have a lot of interesting experiences ahead of me.

Quick Reply: Test drove the 2014 RLX yesterday I need some advice