Six months with #00217

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Six months with #00217

Tomorrow will be exactly six months since I took delivery of Sport Hybrid #00217.

You guys mostly know what I think already from my various posts so I'll keep it brief.

6889 miles as of tonight.

AWD burnouts: None. Haven't tried yet.

Oil life at 40%. Hasn't had first oil change yet.

Fuel economy:
Lifetime fuel economy according to my Fuelly: 23.3 mpg.
$743.22 spent on fuel since delivery. 11 cents per mile for fuel (as opposed to 25 cents per mile for my CTS-V, but who's counting).
Best tank was 29.5 mpg on my recent road trip to DC.
Worst tank was 19.2 mpg in February during the cold snap.

Click my Fuelly for exhausting detail:

You'll see how my mileage is trending upward with warm weather.

Unexpected visits to the dealer: None.
Visits to dealer: two, one to fit splash guards and one to fit engine block heater (GET THIS IF YOU LIVE IN COLD COUNTRY, I learned the hard way how necessary it is to maintain fuel economy, don't waste fuel like I did!)

Some scattered comments that came from invited comments in the AutoPacific survey I filled out over the weekend:

Originally Posted by neuronbob, to AutoPacific
1. In extremely cold weather conditions, the fuel economy of this hybrid decreases by 25-30% below the EPA ratings. Given I've owned the vehicle only during the cold months so far, this had led to some disappointment about fuel economy. I have operated this vehicle in weather as cold as -20 F. Mileage is finally improving with warm weather.

A clear statement in the owner's manual about how fuel economy is affected by temperature for the new hybrid owner would be helpful.

I am now ready for next winter as I have an engine block heater (should be STANDARD EQUIPMENT in Sport Hybrids delivered north of the Mason-Dixon line) and will be blocking the grille to maintain engine heat in cold conditions--doing these eventually helped my mileage during the winter.

2. Navigation system is buggy. For example, when using the nav screen o na recent trip, and I wanted to move the cursor to look at a nearby area, the cursor shot by the area needed very quickly, and wouldn't stop until well past the area in question. In short, I can't put the cursor where I want it, when I want it. This is a distraction while driving and should be fixed with an upgrade to current vehicles. Voice commands are also buggy even though I speak with a Standard American Broadcast English accent.

Split screen is OK, I've become adjusted to it. I now understand that Honda/Acura have integrated multiple ways to do the same function to allow for many types of users.

2a. Just integrate Apple CarPlay and the Google equivalent and be done with it as I always have my smartphone with me and the information on that is more accurate than what's in the navigation system.

3. No rear power outlets. This is a BIG problem when I am driving my child, on road trips, and if I am entertaining business guests who most recharge their devices. Please fix this for the next version of the RLX. For now, on road trips, I have to extend a cable to the rear of the car, which is not an ideal solution.

4. EXCELLENT acceleration. This car's power rating is probably underrated. I have never lacked for passing power in this car. I own much more powerful cars and this one compares favorably.

5. EXCELLENT handling. The new SH-SH-AWD helps with handling in the tightest turns. This system make the car not simply easy to drive, but fun to drive.

6. I now can't live without driver's aids (ACC/CMBS), LKAS because they are so well executed in this car. Next car must have these functions because this car has now spoiled me to having those functions.

7. Quietest interior of any car I've ever owned. Job well done here.

8. While I, personally, enjoy the styling of the RLX, I'd respond to more emotional styling for the next one. Try stealing some designers from Audi or GM to get this job done correctly.

9. PLEASE incorporate adjustable dampers of some kind. I own a Cadillac CTS-V with magnetic ride control. It's a simple button press to adjust the dampers for either sporty or compliant ride. I'm quite surprised we don't have IDS as on the MDX.

No mechanical issues with the car. Overall, it's an enjoyable ride. Please do consider some of the changes above. PLEASE give current owners a navi software update.
Now to finally get to fixing that scrape on the passenger side....

Last edited by neuronbob; 05-03-2015 at 10:56 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by neuronbob:
fsmith (05-04-2015), hondamore (05-04-2015), Malibu Flyer (05-03-2015), MNH (05-04-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (05-04-2015), sooththetruth (05-04-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Same six months for me. About the same miles driven, mpg, and oil life. Pretty much agree with everything Bob says (except I like the styling). I would add two things:

1. After every 200 mile trip, I feel more rested than in any other car I have ever driven, due to the quiet, comfort, solid road-steadiness, and amazing handling. It is an incredible car.

2. After six months, I still smile EVERY time I get in the car to drive it. Absolutely the best car I have ever owned.
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 07:38 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I won't talk about my fuel economy.

Don't want to make anybody mad.

:-)
Old 05-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Lease or buy ? As in you intend to keep for a long time or dump it soon ? Essentially with ctsv in the garage and stook, this is the daily beater/grinder no ?

Did you order new, or pick up from dealer lot ?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
In my case, the sales manager remembered that I was looking for one and called me as they were taking it off the transporter.

You can hunt for what's out there, but there's no way to "order" one.

The dealers were shipped what they got and they could not influence what they were sent.

Some dealers got zero KC2, most got one, and a very few got 2.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
In my case, I had been waiting for the SH-AWD since the PAWS appeared (to replace my '06 RL), and my dealer's GM knew I was waiting and was first in line. My dealer had also requested from me my trim and color preferences, and must have passed that on to Acura. Otherwise it was a great coincidence that the one car they got was the right trim and color. I drove it (hard) the day it arrived and bought it (quickly) the next day. Paid cash and intend to keep it at least 6-8 years, as I usually do. Drive it daily and on all trips.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Lease or buy ? As in you intend to keep for a long time or dump it soon ? Essentially with ctsv in the garage and stook, this is the daily beater/grinder no ?

I leased because a) I use it primarily for work, so tax deduction for my business, b) I wanted to avoid the severe depreciation all RLXs, including the Sport Hybrid, are likely to take, and c) I am hoping that Acura does what Honda did with the Civic and to make 2017 the year of the mega-MMC for the RLX, or maybe even a new model
Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Dr. Bob,

I have to commend you on your very detailed review! I'm glad that OCD is not only something that is in my heritage! Great report!

My gas mileage is probably not as good as Uncle George's because of my hot right foot, but overall I could not be happier. My recent tanks since it has finally warmed up are consistently in the low 30's regardless of highway or local driving, with individual trips that get near 40 mpg (traffic and speed dependent in local short trips). The plastic on the wiper blades are getting faded which is no big deal and my window cracking sound was isolated to a plastic wire loom in the passenger side A-pillar which was resolved with the insertion of some foam behind the plastic cover. Again no big issue and easily resolved once the noise was targeted. I am thrilled to hear that Acura will be producing more SH cars and if everything pans out as expected I will be buying a 2nd SH. Just waiting on the offer from the dealer.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
Unrelated/sort of related question: how do you like Fuelly? I used to use aCar when i was on my android phone and even paid for aCar pro. But having switched over to an iPhone, there was no equivalent.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

I like Fuelly because it's easy to use and it has many sorts of data to use (cost of fuel, total fuel used in a unit of time, etc.).

No iPhone equivalent, but they do have a mobile site you can access easily on Mobile Safari and you can also text your data to Fuelly ( FAQ: How do I add a fuel-up via SMS? ). I just do it the old fashioned way, I type it in the Notes app and copy it to Fuelly.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I like Fuelly because it's easy to use and it has many sorts of data to use (cost of fuel, total fuel used in a unit of time, etc.).

No iPhone equivalent, but they do have a mobile site you can access easily on Mobile Safari and you can also text your data to Fuelly ( FAQ: How do I add a fuel-up via SMS? ). I just do it the old fashioned way, I type it in the Notes app and copy it to Fuelly.
I thought this is an iPhone app to use with Fuelly.com: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gast...590291820?mt=8
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
Thanks for that. I had no idea. I guess they need to update their FAQ then:

FAQ: Do you have an iPhone, Android, or BlackBerry app?
Old 05-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
Well that's just a 3rd party app that likely interfaces with Fuelly online; hence why not mentioned in the FAQ

I think aCar can export and import into Fuelly as well so I may try that.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^
Thanks for that. I had no idea. I guess they need to update their FAQ then:

FAQ: Do you have an iPhone, Android, or BlackBerry app?
Ha ha you are correct, that FAQ was last updated on February 21 2011:-)
Old 05-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Well that's just a 3rd party app that likely interfaces with Fuelly online; hence why not mentioned in the FAQ

I think aCar can export and import into Fuelly as well so I may try that.

Thanks guys!
I believe that app (GasTracker +) was bought from Fuelly a couple of years ago, and it is offered by Fuelly now. I don't know why they don't mention it on they website........
Old 05-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fsmith
Same six months for me. About the same miles driven, mpg, and oil life. Pretty much agree with everything Bob says (except I like the styling). I would add two things:

1. After every 200 mile trip, I feel more rested than in any other car I have ever driven, due to the quiet, comfort, solid road-steadiness, and amazing handling. It is an incredible car.

2. After six months, I still smile EVERY time I get in the car to drive it. Absolutely the best car I have ever owned.
I like the styling, too, and it has grown on me even more in the last couple of months. All I need to complete the look is a nice set of super-light wheels. The search has been on for a couple of months, but I'm in no hurry.

Even though I like the look, I would not turn down a sexy A7-type body with eSH-AWD in it. That's going to have to be designed by Acura in this country, however, or they need to hire European talent to git 'er done.

I agree with you about being less fatigued after a long trip. This car is an awesome highway cruiser and the driver's aids make a HUGE difference. This comes from someone who enjoys the physical act of driving--it's one of my favorite things to do, in fact. Even so, sometimes, even the most ardent automotive enthusiast needs a break.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:20 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
I have to add my endorsement to what my fellow beta testers have already said. I also have just over 6 months with my SH and 6,800 miles. Average mileage since I owned the car is 28.4 mpg. Other than one trip to get the headlights replaced and the clicking from the b pillar fixed I have not had any issues. I haven't felt the need to have the wind noise TSB done (..."if it ain't broken do t fix it...").

While I would like it if the car was a little sportier looking - like the A-7- I think the car is "handsome". It is still the way the car drives that makes me feel the passion I do for the car. I like the interior room and the feel of all the nice materials inside but it is the wonderful combination of a very quiet, comfortable cruiser on the freeway, yet the ability to shift into Sport mode and feel like I am 18 driving a late 60's muscle car. Just the best of both worlds.

I think Acura actually does have the design chops they need as demonstrated by the upcoming NSX. I will take awhile for this design philosophy to filter down the the RLX SH but I think it will. The first place it should happen is with the SH.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Grandpa

13,167 miles as of last night, if anybody's interested. :-)

Last weekend, there was some discussion about putting a 4400# car in Group 3 at VIR Full. :-)
Old 05-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by George Knighton
13,167 miles as of last night, if anybody's interested. :-) Last weekend, there was some discussion about putting a 4400# car in Group 3 at VIR Full. :-)
That's a lot of highway miles.

Wish you had placed the big guy on the track. That could have been....interesting in your experienced hands.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
13,167 miles as of last night, if anybody's interested. :-)

Last weekend, there was some discussion about putting a 4400# car in Group 3 at VIR Full. :-)
That would have been fun to see on a GoPro!

My assumption and hope is that you know when I reference you as "Uncle George" that is meant with gratitude and respect. I have an Uncle George within our family who I have a great deal of respect for and is a touch older than you, but seems to have similar linguistic capabilities.

I will pass 8,000 miles when I drive to Boston on Thursday to see if #2 is the color combo I want. I just hope the grey is not too dark as taking care of the current black car is a challenge, but an enjoyable one. The silver is what I prefer but I have not seen any of them available, just the grey. If it looks too dark I will just wait for the 16 version. I'm meeting fsmith at the dealership so we can have a cup of coffee and maybe take a few snap shots of the two SHs together! Rare thing these days, like seeing two bald eagles in one nest.