Should I buy? 2014 rlx tech package

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:03 AM
6eD
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Should I buy? 2014 rlx tech package

Hello,

I was recently thrusted into car buying mode after a nasty hail storm totalled my 2008 Honda Accord Coupe. I've been having a hard time deciding exactly what I want for my next car. When test driving a 2013 TL, I was prompted by the salesman to check out a 2014 RLX they have with 27k miles.

I really liked the car. I'm 6'8" and was surprised by how well I fit in the car and really enjoyed its features.

With that said, they're asking $25,000 for the car and I don't know much about the RLX. I've since learned that the advance has quite a few additional features and it seems this forum really likes the new sh-awd model. Is the 2014 a good car? Will I regret my purchase? Is 25k a food price? Is there another make/model/year I should look into instead for around this price?

Sorry for the very general questions, I appreciate any advice your community might be able to provide.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:08 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
There is lots of information on this forum about early build 2014 P-AWS models. I had one myself before upgrading to the Sport Hybrid recently.

There is a sticky thread about TSB's which should be done to fix the known issues with the car. Most common complaints are the clunky suspension (test drive it well over rough roads to see if you can live with it) and the laggy infotainment system.

There are a lot of great features of the car and for the price (as compared to list), it's a great deal. They don't sell well and the salesman knows that - so remind him of it and say if it's not a smoking deal, you'll look around. Don't feel pressured because it will still be on the lot next week most likely. I had the Advance model 2014 P-AWS and enjoyed the additional features like cooled seats, power sunshade, Krell system etc. If you can find one and are prepared to shell out more coin, the SH-AWD Sport Hybrid is the way to go. It's a great car. But you aren't going to find one for $25,000 anytime soon.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts
For the price, awesome car (probably can get it cheaper)... without repeating what others have said, i would add the Krell is awesome, much better than the ELS IMO, but not a bass thumper if that's what your looking for. I hate sweaty backs during hot summers in a black car with black seats, so the cooled seats are a must for me, but not as powerful as those in my Lexus, which get seriously cool quickly. The only thing I seriously dislike about my SH is the suspension clanging (like hitting a coil with a hammer) which only sounds worse with the windows open, but then i just step on the throttle and everything is good. Best of luck in your decision.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:08 AM
6eD
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Limelight
There is lots of information on this forum about early build 2014 P-AWS models. I had one myself before upgrading to the Sport Hybrid recently.

There is a sticky thread about TSB's which should be done to fix the known issues with the car. Most common complaints are the clunky suspension (test drive it well over rough roads to see if you can live with it) and the laggy infotainment system.

There are a lot of great features of the car and for the price (as compared to list), it's a great deal. They don't sell well and the salesman knows that - so remind him of it and say if it's not a smoking deal, you'll look around. Don't feel pressured because it will still be on the lot next week most likely. I had the Advance model 2014 P-AWS and enjoyed the additional features like cooled seats, power sunshade, Krell system etc. If you can find one and are prepared to shell out more coin, the SH-AWD Sport Hybrid is the way to go. It's a great car. But you aren't going to find one for $25,000 anytime soon.
Thanks for your reply. I'll ask the salesman for any records he can provide and determine which, if any, TSB's have been addressed. I did notice the Advance package comes with a lot of interesting features. The sound, seat cooling, and ACC upgrades are appealing to me but the only one I can find right now has ~90k miles and is closer to 30k.

It sounds like you upgraded to the new SH-AWD model as well? If so and for others who may have done the same: is there something you found lacking/wrong in the 2014 or do you frequently buy new cars regardless? When you owned the 2014 was there another car you wish you'd considered instead?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 6eD
Thanks for your reply. I'll ask the salesman for any records he can provide and determine which, if any, TSB's have been addressed. I did notice the Advance package comes with a lot of interesting features. The sound, seat cooling, and ACC upgrades are appealing to me but the only one I can find right now has ~90k miles and is closer to 30k.

It sounds like you upgraded to the new SH-AWD model as well? If so and for others who may have done the same: is there something you found lacking/wrong in the 2014 or do you frequently buy new cars regardless? When you owned the 2014 was there another car you wish you'd considered instead?
My biggest advice to you is not to rush into the purchase - chances are very good that the vehicle will still be there when you're ready to make a decision. Do your homework and take the vehicle for a lengthy test drive over a variety of road surfaces. It's very smooth over smooth roads, but much less composed on rough surfaces.

My personal situation was somewhat unique in that I owned a 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance and loved it. That car was quick, felt stapled to the road, had great build quality and plenty of luxury features. I changed jobs and was given a company car, so I was forced to sell it. I ended up not enjoying the new job and when I left, I was suddenly needing a car quickly. By chance I stumbled into a brand new 2014 Nissan Altima 3.5SL (lured in by being offered it at dealer cost minus a huge factory rebate) and I absolutely hated it. I owned it for only 10 months and found myself wanting to get back into an Acura. I found the 2014 RLX P-AWS Advance and fell in love with it. It had all the features I wanted and a roomy, luxurious interior. What I didn't do was my homework nor did I extensively test drive it. I assumed that being the flagship Acura, it would be better than my TL.

Although I enjoyed the car, it did not perform like the TL - I was missing SH-AWD terribly. It felt loose - and certainly clunky over bumps riding on 19's. The TL was rough too on 19's so I dismissed the RLX's characteristics initially as Acura's sporty ride quality. The RLX then developed an isolated issue where the HVAC had a funky smell that the dealer was not able to properly fix despite countless repairs and head office's involvement. At the end of the day, the car was perfectly fine but it wasn't an exhilarating ride like the TL and the smell issue wasn't getting better. I decided to cut my losses and I traded it in this spring for a 2015 RLX SH Advance and I'm very glad I did. The suspension on the SH feels better but still isn't buttery soft like a Lexus - it could be better (the 2016+ addressed the suspension shortcomings). That said, the SH is a rocket and simply a ton of fun to drive.

I guess where my ramblings are going with this is that only you can answer what you're looking for in your next car. Do you want that 'stapled' feeling to the handling of your car? Is acceleration and a spirited drive really important to you? The P-AWS is a very capable vehicle and great value at current resale prices (but not at MSRP, which is why its a poor seller) - but its driving dynamics have to be what you're looking for. In hindsight, I should have test driven the SH when I initially test drove the P-AWS - as I probably would have waited to save up to find the SH instead. But that's me. At the time of buying the P-AWS, I also looked at the Lexus GS 350 F-Sport but it was quite a bit more.
The following 2 users liked this post by Limelight:
pgeorg (05-16-2017), wilspainar (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Rlx paws and rlx sport hybrid look the same but the drive is very different

As others mentioned the 2014 main issues were suspension and road noise issues. 2016+ addressed those problems and the tsb recalls should have corrected those issues. For the price hard to beat these cars. My suggestion is to try to get an advance one as it wont be much more used. I also suggest u test drive the sport hybrid and decide if the extra juice, fuel economy and awd are important to you. Good luck with your car hunting.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I have a 2014 Tech, and compared to many other Acura's and Honda's this car is by far super comfy. Before I bought it I was actually looking for a 2011-2013 RL because it was so nice and it was AWD. By chance I found my RLX with 26k miles and $23k price tag so I jumped on it. I totally enjoy the car, and it isn't slow for compared to an Accord or a FWD TL. It is certainly a great car for the money. Only issue I have with the car is the front shocks/springs need to be replaced by the Dealer under warranty but the parts are not available yet so I have to deal with the clunky noise when going over bumps. But like Limelight, I didn't do my homework and had no idea bout the Sport Hybrid. So now I am actually searching for a Sport Hybrid to trade in my current RLX. Both the PWS and Sport Hybrid do not sell very fast when it is at a dealership. Actually they usually sit on the lots for a few months so take your time to research what you really want. My personal preference I don't need the advance package, it would be a bonus for me. I care mostly about the Hybrid system in it as it is the same in the current NSX.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:41 PM
6th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Purchased a CPO 2014 RLX TECH pkg with only 15k miles on it in March. Previous ride was a 05 TL.

Have really enjoyed the car and have not run into any major issues other than a musty smell from the vents.....solved by changing the interior cabin filter and when driving at high speeds (85+) the feeling that the hood is going to fly up and hit the windshield.....maybe solved by going slower.....

before buying this car I test drove a couple of advance models which were a couple grand more than tech pkgs but I couldn't find one that had really low miles....

For 25k, a CPO, and if its super clean interior and exterior, with 27k on it, its probably right at Kelly Blue Book.

good luck and enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (05-17-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
If TSBs for the 2014 addressed, and if ride is good (i.e. suspension in good shape), then go for it. I prefer the Hybrid myself, but for the money, a used PAWS is a far superior car to a new Accord as build quality and lux are better. The Krell stereo beats anything you can get in an Accord. Do your homework and it could be the used lux purchase of the century.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:54 PM
6eD
Cruisin'

I did find an advance model with ~88k miles for 20k, vs 25k with 27k miles.. what do you all think? Have you faced any issues with reliability or maintenance in the community?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Instructor

I would go for the lower mileage if you are in a hurry. Test drive the hybrid though and see if the better driving dynamics are important to you or the extra features of the advance are more important. Interior of the cars are the same between paws and hybrid awd. I personally fell in love with the drive of the hybrid. You get a thrilling drive, awd, and better fuel economy. I can get a new or practically new for $48-50k. Ones with 20k miles are only 2-3k less. For like 45k. To me 3k extra is worth it for a new car. Now if I could save 10k or more then I would consider a used one.
How much do you drive? Even at 88k these cars shouldn't have many issues but you will have a few major services due at that mileage which will cost you. Main issue with honda/acura cars has been tranny at over 150k miles. So even 88k shouldnt have problems, but 20k miles is obviously the sAfer bet.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 6eD
I did find an advance model with ~88k miles for 20k, vs 25k with 27k miles.. what do you all think? Have you faced any issues with reliability or maintenance in the community?
I just picked up a 2014 Advance with 26600 on it and was at 26450 (before tax), has a couple of scratches that I need to get buffed out, but the inside is perfect, so are the wheels. Not sure where you are location wise, but before I pulled the trigger on this one, I was working with 3 or 4 other dealers, everyone of them but one would move about 1K off the asking price. Most of the cars I was looking at were off-lease and purchased at Honda Financial dealer only auctions. I think I would pay the extra 5 grand and drop the 61K miles, but that's just my $.02

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2017, 12:42 AM
6eD
Cruisin'

So.. I have narrowed it down to three possible models:

Acura TL:
Certified Pre-Owned 2013 Acura TL SH-AWD with Tech package, 40K miles - $21,500

Acura RLX:
2014 Acura RLX with 27k miles, still under warranty (non-advance model) - $25,000
2014 Acura RLX with 82k miles, no warranty - with advance package - $20,515

Lexus GS 350 AWD:
2013 Lexus GS 350 AWD with 73k miles - no warranty - seems to be standard package with all things (not as much tech as advance package on RLX but all the same luxury features: audio, privacy screen, heated/cooled seats, etc - $24,900

I drove all three of these cars today.. first the lexus, then the advance RLX, and then the TL.

The Lexus is a gorgeous car, feels awesome, I really like it. I drove two of them at different dealerships and the one I listed above seemed to be in better shape mechanically but had some small rock chips on the front of the hood. The other Lexus I drove didn't seem to shift as smoothly, had a broken rear privacy/shade screen.. but had a better color combination (IMO) with black-on-black. The black-on-black Lexus also had a clear bra wrapped around the bumper, front fenders, and ~18" of hood. There were a couple little scratches on the sides and a small gouge on the bumper near the trunk from loading/unloading but it was in great shape otherwise. The mechanically-superior lexus had a dark blue exterior with a dark/orange-ish brown leather interior. I kinda like the look of the interior but the wife thought it was hideous but also said it might grow on her and that it didn't matter because it was so comfortable once you stopped looking at the seats and sat down in them.

The RLX: in spite of having a lot of miles for a 3 year old car, the car drove beautifully. ACC and the lane keeping assist were really nifty for a $20k car. I was not blown away by the Krell audio system, it was loud and high fidelity but the audio systems in all three of these cars are impressive and I'm not sure I can readily pick a winner there. MQS1 was right, it's not a bass-thumper but it is good. The safety features on this car are the biggest selling point for me and my wife who thinks I drive like a crazy person and commented that she likes that the car will yell at me when she's not there to do it. This car was for sale at a Ford dealership that clearly did not specialize in Acura products. The battery was dead when we went to test drive - not sure if this is indicative of a larger problem (ECU/Alternator/etc) or if someone just left a dome light on.. but it was pretty funny when the salesman suggested maybe it was just an electric car that didn't make noise when it started (lolol). The car was in good shape on the outside except for a fair deal of curb-rash on every wheel. When I looked in the engine bay, everything looked clean and tidy except for the area around the battery. There was a large amount of red and yellow grease (maybe di-electric grease) on the top of the battery and on some nearby parts. My other observation was that the infotainment system seemed more difficult to operate in the RLX without an Acura-salesman to provide tips. When I spoke of this to an actual Acura salesman, he told me I was quite wrong and that the system is superior to the Lexus' and could be operated entirely from the steering wheel. I'm really interested in whether you all agree or disagree with this assessment? The RLX was a real pleasure to drive. The salesman let us go out on our own and before I knew it I was ~30 miles from the dealership and had to head back.

The TL is a good car. I took the salesman on a crazy drive through the Colorado mountains while my wife and him held on and kept reminding me that the the brake was on the left side. The car shifted beautifully and dominated the curvy mountain roads. Limelight's description of feeling 'stapled to the road' is very apt. I liked the performance of this car and felt the ride was surprisingly smooth. There were some chips/scratches in the paint but it was in mostly good shape with less curb rash on the wheels than the RLX.

I liked the mountain-road drive so much that I then took the Lexus from another dealership on the same road. The GS 350 did wonderfully on the road but I did not feel like pushing that car as hard as I was spending so much time enjoying the scenery and comfortable seating. I kept thinking: this is what I'd do every weekend if I bought the Lexus.

The Lexus seemed to handle rough roads very well but I noticed some interior noises when going over some of the bumps. I couldn't identify the exact source. The dealership had one of those stupid lock-boxes that kept rattling so I asked the salesman to hold that in his lap but continued to hear some faint noises. When we got back to the dealership and started hunting for the parking brake I found ~2 pounds of loose coins in a small cubby to the left of the steering wheel and realized the key was rattling around in one of the cup holders as well. With these discoveries, I'm actually surprised the Lexus was as quiet as it was and after securing these loose items things just got better. At around 80mph on the freeway, I noticed wind noise that was not present on the Acura RLX and thought.. "ah, that acoustic glass does work". Then I realized it was coming from the (closed) sunroof. When I closed the sunroof cover (not sure if there's a better word for the interior trim that blocks out the light), the noise went away entirely and I couldn't really tell a difference between the two cars. There may very well be some difference in noise levels, it just wasn't noticeable to me.

I think I'll be happy with all three of these cars but the higher mileage of the Lexus and RLX scare me a bit. I am fairly confident that the Toyota and Honda backbones of these two vehicles will get me many more miles but am a little troubled by all the fancy tech (more so with the RLX since it really does have more tech). I also figure the RLX and GS 350 will require a timing belt service in the near future.

Overall, I was surprised to find I like the Lexus the most of the three cars. It feels very luxurious on the inside, the large screen in the dash is quick to respond to input and the joystick interface is pretty slick though not very friendly when actually driving. I also found it to be the most attractive car from both the inside and outside.

The RLX is a very close second and the technology and safety features really appeal to me. I am very concerned, however, that the car might have some problems I'm overlooking or that it will be expensive to maintain as it gets closer and closer to 100k miles (I can't even seem to find timing belt discussion on this forum yet).

The TL is my least favorite but still a great car and seems like the most financially-responsible way to spend my money considering the lower price and included warranty. This car also seems to have great reliability, resale value, and cost of ownership records. I don't think I'd really regret my decision if I went with the TL.. I just really liked the other two quite a bit more. Other than the warranty, one of my favorite features of the TL is the SH-AWD - we get a lot of snow in Colorado and I feel this would be helpful. I've often thought, "AWD would be helpful right now," but have almost never thought, "I wish my rear wheels would also turn," when sliding around or struggling to move on icy/snow-covered roads.

Sorry for all the rambling, I'm just trying to get my thoughts together so I can make a decision. I'd love to hear the community's feedback even if it's slightly, and understandably, biased towards the RLX/Acura. Sorry if it's a little taboo to bring up Lexus in an Acura forum but Limelight started it ;P - I'd all but given up on Lexus when I realized my 6'8" frame is about 8" too big for the IS 350.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure where if you are close enough that a drive to OKC is worth it, but....

Pre-Owned 2014 Acura RLX Advance Pkg Sedan in Oklahoma City #EC003523 | Bob Howard Acura

Just popped up on CarGurus....
Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 AM
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rfreeman11
Not sure where if you are close enough that a drive to OKC is worth it, but....

Pre-Owned 2014 Acura RLX Advance Pkg Sedan in Oklahoma City #EC003523 Bob Howard Acura

Just popped up on CarGurus....
I bought my TL from these guys. Bought a RSX Type S from them about ten years ago. Good guys, fair pricing, bought my TL from Jared. They get a lot of trade-ins on cars they sold, one owner stuff. My TL was a one owner trade in.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Instructor

I would wait

What is your budget?
Every person has different taste and different priorities so It is hard for someone else to give you the answer you are seeking but here is my suggestion.
1) what is most important to you in your next car? Make a priority list and gobfrom there
2)what is your objective time frame (not the I am so excited to experience my new toy timeframe that most of us guys have)?
3) I think lower mileage is almost always a safer bet and worth a little extra cash
4) I personally feel that most of the time is spent inside the car and the interior is what is most important to me and also how the car drives. The interior of the Rlx is nice but it isnt superb like a mercedes. The exterior cant be ugly though which the rlx is definitely not ugly. The drive is what really amazes me.
5) If you arent in a hurry go test drive the rlx hybrid and compare it to the others.
6) the rlx paws is a nice car but it didnt blow me away. The rlx hybrid really blew me away. It is really fun to drive, handles well and gives you great gas mileage. Acura really built an amazing machine that is like an autobot transformer. It is part regular car, part bad ass machine and fuel efficient. It just lacks a more luxurious look and feel.
7) How far are you willing to go get your next car? The rlx didnt sell well so finding the right combo of features and colors in a small radius will be challenging.
8) I personally look at the overall package. The driving experience , quiet comfortable interior, technology and price are what the rlx hybrid presents plus you get the added bonus of amazing fuel efficiency for a sporty high performing luxury sedan
Old 05-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Pro

OP - Good to see you are doing your homework to narrow down what you like and prefer. I didn't do that myself and wish I had in retrospect.

If you were leaning towards the Lexus, I would personally wait to find a lower mileage/warrantied unit. The GS350 isn't a rare car so with patience you can find one within your budget.

i agree the Lexus is a more attractive vehicle than the RLX (personal preference), but the GS350 isn't a comparator to the SH. I would love for you to test drive a SH before you make your decision because if you like the driving dynamics of the TL, you'll love the SH. Having owned a TL SH-AWD, P-AWS RLX Advance and an SH Advance, I feel I'm qualified to say that. It will be more than the other vehicles you've quoted above, but it would save you in the long run if you ended up in the P-AWS and wanted more.

If you are considering either a GS350 or a base/Tech RLX P-AWS with the same mileage, I'd probably take the Lexus too. All three you're considering are capable cars - even in my SH, I still look back on my time in the TL quite fondly and find times where I miss it. It doesn't have the same presence as the RLX or Lexus, but it's a heck of a fun car to drive. Having upgraded to my SH, naturally I don't miss my P-AWS at all.
pgeorg (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 10:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I would love for you to test drive a SH before you make your decision because if you like the driving dynamics of the TL, you'll love the SH. Having owned a TL SH-AWD, P-AWS RLX Advance and an SH Advance, I feel I'm qualified to say that.
The RLX-SH is a fantastic drive, but considering all the cars he's looking at are within $20k-$25k, I don't see how an RLX-SH is going to be anywhere within budget. Even with the discounting going on, you're still talking north of $50k easy.
pgeorg (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by holografique
The RLX-SH is a fantastic drive, but considering all the cars he's looking at are within $20k-$25k, I don't see how an RLX-SH is going to be anywhere within budget. Even with the discounting going on, you're still talking north of $50k easy.
he is looking at preowned cars. He can find 2014 rlx hybrids in the low 30k range. Not sure ehat his budget is
neuronbob (05-22-2017)