Old 11-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^
Nice deal.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I just got back from a test drive with a RLX SH-AWD hybrid as well. Wow, the car is so quiet, such a difference compared to my RL. Driving wise, it absolutely didn't drive like a hybrid at all, power delivery was excellent, and can't even feel the shifts. Absolutely amazing. Like what others said, the car didn't feel like its size either. I wasn't able to utilize the SH-AWD much because the test drive was basically a straight line drive. But yeah, it's a great car and a great choice! But I really have to wonder, a base Tesla is around the same as a RLX Hybrid...I would think it the RLX may have some stiff competition?
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Thanks for the review of the Sport Hybrid sleepinxlionhart. It is especially useful to get input on the Sport Hybrid from a fellow RL driver.

The biggest issue with the Teslas is always going to be the range and the charging time. Sure you can plug in anywhere, but you have to wait for an hour to generate 70 miles of range and even a supercharger station takes half an hour to achieve 170 miles of range. I'm sure the charging times and battery storage will improve in the future but right now I believe the hybrid technology is superior which is why most manufacturers are heading in that direction.

Up here in Canada, I also would be concerned with the Tesla's ability to keep me warm when it is -30 outside or at least what effect warming the interior has on the car's range.

Last edited by hondamore; 11-03-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

A base Tesla Model S is only $5k more than an RLX Sport Hybrid. Were I to consider one, though, it'd be the P85 version, so I'd be spending considerably more.

Tomorrow will be a long day. Picking up the new car tomorrow evening. Been a long wait, from my brief test drive, it seems worth it to me.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by jmoser1134
Sterling McCall had one delivered last week but sold already. Vandergriff in Arlington has a black/black advanced on their site (and cars.com) for $5,490 off sticker. Specifically states "MSRP - $66,845 and Vandergriff Price - $61,355.

Best deal I have heard of. Not that far from Houston for a 5K+ discount

But I do agree that a market (Houston area) with so many 2015 RLX's on the lots you would expect a few Hybrids to show up.
That is approximately what i paid for my Sports Hybrid Advance.....it is a great price. I think my local dealer had so little interest in the RLX PAWS that they were anxious to move the most expensive RLX car in their showroom.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
But I really have to wonder, a base Tesla is around the same as a RLX Hybrid...I would think it the RLX may have some stiff competition?
You're not going to be a Tesla Model S that you can live with for the price of the RLX Sport Hybrid (Advance).

By the time you tack on everything you need to equal the same features, you've gone over 100 grand.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
I priced one that was the P85 before the D came out. With tax and almost ALL of the options that are close to what the HySHAWD plus the ones that I would want and it came to $118K (no rear facing seats). I also considered the Model X briefly. Settled on the HySHAWD over the TDI Prestige.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondamore
Thanks for the review of the Sport Hybrid sleepinxlionhart. It is especially useful to get input on the Sport Hybrid from a fellow RL driver.

The biggest issue with the Teslas is always going to be the range and the charging time. Sure you can plug in anywhere, but you have to wait for an hour to generate 70 miles of range and even a supercharger station takes half an hour to achieve 170 miles of range. I'm sure the charging times and battery storage will improve in the future but right now I believe the hybrid technology is superior which is why most manufacturers are heading in that direction.

Up here in Canada, I also would be concerned with the Tesla's ability to keep me warm when it is -30 outside or at least what effect warming the interior has on the car's range.
Agreed with your points. I would consider the Tesla if not for range anxiety.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoommer
Agreed with your points. I would consider the Tesla if not for range anxiety.
I also agree. I think the inconvenience of charging the Tesla takes away the fun out of ownership.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Senior Moderator

The Tesla Model S will be a viable alternative for me when the Supercharger network is more complete. I'd also like to see faster charging, perhaps a length of time similar to a gas fuel-up.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:22 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Nice writeup
Old 11-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The Tesla Model S will be a viable alternative for me when the Supercharger network is more complete. I'd also like to see faster charging, perhaps a length of time similar to a gas fuel-up.
Have you test driven one, yet?

It's a grand idea and I salute them for being able to produce an all electric car with the kind of range it has.

But compared to the car you have now, you might be disappointed by things like a lack of comfort and head room in the rear, glitzy iPad controls, or a difficulty getting comfortable in a driver seat without enough adjustments and with a head rest integral to the squab and evidently permanently adjusted for the "average" American driver whom I have not found yet.

Grand idea, but not refined enough.

And by the time that you tick the boxes necessary to meet your Sport Hybrid, you're talking about 120,000$.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

I plan to test drive one. Tesla is opening a dealership in my area this month. It's apparently going to be the largest of its three Ohio customer centers. I love the idea of their cars and even better, the idea that Americans are challenging the status quo of automotive drivetrains again.

If Tesla survives and thrives, other companies will follow, and we could all be driving electric someday. Can you imagine?

----
In any case, back on topic, this car is pretty dang fast for a Buick-looking luxury car. It's not CTS-V fast, but plenty fast, especially in Sport mode.

How far have you guys driven in pure electric mode before the engine starts up? I'm finding that at parking lot speed, and feathering the throttle, I can go pretty far. This weekend, I'm going to try this in my local Sam's Club parking lot (HUGE, nearly a quarter of a mile long when other store are taken into account).

Last, are the batteries ever fully charged? The most I've seen is 1/2 way unless I'm reading the battery meter improperly. *scuttles off to review owner's manual some more*
Old 11-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Pro

----

How far have you guys driven in pure electric mode before the engine starts up? I'm finding that at parking lot speed, and feathering the throttle, I can go pretty far. This weekend, I'm going to try this in my local Sam's Club parking lot (HUGE, nearly a quarter of a mile long when other store are taken into account).

Last, are the batteries ever fully charged? The most I've seen is 1/2 way unless I'm reading the battery meter improperly. *scuttles off to review owner's manual some more*
I haven't really watched the distance I drive on just the electric motors but I have observed the % of the distance that is EV drive [found on the lower left of the Info screen and the same place on the "Power Distribution Screen". The % isn't calculated but it shows miles of EV and total miles for the current drive.] On my normal work commute [which about 15 miles, mostly along Pacific Coast Highway - a 4 lane road with a speed limit of 45 MPH and a number of traffic lights] I usually see 15% to 30% of the time on EV.

In regard to the Battery Fuel Gauge, it mostly runs between 25-75% full. The exception has been when i am using Sports mode which charges the battery [or doesn't use the electric motors as much]. In Sports mode the battery gauge shows 85% to 95% full most of the time.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Grandpa

How far have you guys driven in pure electric mode before the engine starts up?
I've never really tested that because it annoys the drivers behind me if I take off so gently that the engine doesn't start up.

Last, are the batteries ever fully charged?
I've never seen mine totally charged. They charge close to full in Sport Mode, but still don't seem to get all the way to F. That could be the gauge just being off a little.

Somebody who should know about these things told me that the batteries should never fall below ¼ in order to preserve the efficiency and lifespan of the particular type of batteries used by Acura.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Racer

About one mile under varying conditions in my neighborhood and overall one mile in gentle slope both hypermilling with 3/4 battery.

I have gotten a almost a full change several times when applying brakes gently to go from hwy speed to full stop.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Power Distribution window on the "info" section tells you how far you have traveled in EV mode as part of your trip. Neato!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Pro

Power Distribution window on the "info" section tells you how far you have traveled in EV mode as part of your trip. Neato!
The same EV mileage and total miles shows in the Information screen.
neuronbob (11-06-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
My bosses neighbors have a tesla. They live in San Mateo California. Upon their drive to Tahoe, they have to stop in Napa to "charge" because they can't find any place beyond Napa to charge. Not impressed !!!
Old 11-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabvsix
My bosses neighbors have a tesla. They live in San Mateo California. Upon their drive to Tahoe, they have to stop in Napa to "charge" because they can't find any place beyond Napa to charge. Not impressed !!!
That would annoy me to no end. The tail wagging the dog.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:00 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Wow... Congrats Bob! Knew you would go back.

I too am going to need a winter car at some point. Along with the V, I now have two summer cars. A couple of months ago I picked up a CPO 2011 Mustang GT California Special convertible. So now out of five cars in the family, two of them will be going into hibernation soon.

The other three cars are a BMW X5 (wife's car), 2010 F150 SuperCrew (one son drives that), and a 2009 Mazda 6 Grand Touring S (my other son's car).

The Mazda will be my winter car this year. My son is off at college and the car stayed home for his first year so it's available to me. Next year he'll be taking it with him, so either I'm going to rent a car for the winter like I did last year or maybe pick up another car.

As impressive as the RLX is, I still feel it's a bit bland. I'd,really like a TLX. I think Acura did a nice job with that car.

I will say that having lived with the infotainment system in the V, I miss Acura's ability to integrate the tech. The technology in my old '06 RL was worlds better than what is in the V, but then again the V has other positives.

I'm sure the tech in the RLX makes the system in the V seem like a stone tablet.

Congrats again and good luck.

Last edited by GoHawks; 11-08-2014 at 08:04 PM.
neuronbob (11-08-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
A base Tesla Model S is only $5k more than an RLX Sport Hybrid. Were I to consider one, though, it'd be the P85 version, so I'd be spending considerably more.

Tomorrow will be a long day. Picking up the new car tomorrow evening. Been a long wait, from my brief test drive, it seems worth it to me.
Congrats, neuronbob! Thanks for your great write-up on the RLX Sport Hybrid!

I am wondering how you compare it to the TLX SH-AWD, in terms of the handling and performance? I expect the RLX SH SH-AWD will be faster but how about the handling and quietness etc?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Pro

Cargo Net.....

When I picked up my Sports Hybrid I ordered a cargo net. I called to check on it and the parts manager told me he didn't find the order and would order it for me.

He called on Sat. to tell me he can't find a cargo net for the RLX Hybrid, only the one for the RLX. He said he would call today but couldn't find one on line. My initial thought is that since the trunk on the hybrid has different dimensions than the PAWS the cargo net is probably different. There must be a cargo net for the hybrid since the hooks are in the trunk.

Has anyone else in the hybrid club gotten a cargo net?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Planning to order one. I looked in the official Acura eStore to find part numbers over the weekend and confirmed just now.

There are TWO cargo nets for the hybrid. The one you are looking for is part # 08L96-TY2-200. There is a "hardware" cargo net that comes with the car, and goes on top of that funny-shaped shelf in the back of the trunk. That one (if you're curious) is part # 08L96-S3Y-100R1.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Pro

Planning to order one. I looked in the official Acura eStore to find part numbers over the weekend and confirmed just now.

There are TWO cargo nets for the hybrid. The one you are looking for is part # 08L96-TY2-200. There is a "hardware" cargo net that comes with the car, and goes on top of that funny-shaped shelf in the back of the trunk. That one (if you're curious) is part # 08L96-S3Y-100R1.
Thanks...that is the same part number as the PAWS. I have seen the second "cargo net" and for the life of me can't figure out why it is there. Any useful ideas?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Thanks...that is the same part number as the PAWS. I have seen the second "cargo net" and for the life of me can't figure out why it is there. Any useful ideas?
In my hybrid RLX one net can be used as a hammock: 2 tie downs on floor and two around hooks on trunk mount or all 4 tie downs on floor. The second net holds first aid kit on top of shelf in trunk (below speaker area). The second net is only good for that I think.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

I use that tiny net to hold patient charts so they don't fly around the trunk. It'll hold similarly small items.
Zoommer (11-12-2014)