HVAC Unit replacement to address smell from vents

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
HVAC Unit replacement to address smell from vents

Some of you may recall that I have been experiencing an unpleasant odor coming from my vents (a sweat/mold/dirty gym bag musty smell). It is quite strong on warm/humid days when the AC is off and 'fresh' air is turned on. It's less noticeable on cooler/less humid days. Also, when I engage the AC, the smell significantly diminshes. Their explanation for this was that when the AC cools the air, it makes sense that any mold smell would diminish as on the flipside, warmer air would smell more....

At my first appointment, they replaced the cabin air filter, engine air filter (not sure why) and did a Sabestos spray vent treatment. The smell then returned and I brought it back for another vent treatment and new cabin air filter (all under warranty).

The smell continues to return and I brought it in to the dealer today. I was first told they would be ordering me a new evaporator which is on back order until the end of October. I received a follow up call to say they were incorrect and they will be replacing the 'HVAC unit'. Not sure exactly what that is, but apparently it's a few day job and the parts will arrive in the next few days. I've been given a TLX loaner until the car is repaired.

I plan to stop by the dealer today in person to inquire more, but does anyone happen to know what comprises of the HVAC unit? I would think it's more encompassing than just one part - and I'm also thinking the problem is more than likely in the evaporator where moisture collects, so this part should definitely be replaced...
Old 08-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
Some of you may recall that I have been experiencing an unpleasant odor coming from my vents (a sweat/mold/dirty gym bag musty smell). It is quite strong on warm/humid days when the AC is off and 'fresh' air is turned on. It's less noticeable on cooler/less humid days. Also, when I engage the AC, the smell significantly diminshes. Their explanation for this was that when the AC cools the air, it makes sense that any mold smell would diminish as on the flipside, warmer air would smell more....

At my first appointment, they replaced the cabin air filter, engine air filter (not sure why) and did a Sabestos spray vent treatment. The smell then returned and I brought it back for another vent treatment and new cabin air filter (all under warranty).

The smell continues to return and I brought it in to the dealer today. I was first told they would be ordering me a new evaporator which is on back order until the end of October. I received a follow up call to say they were incorrect and they will be replacing the 'HVAC unit'. Not sure exactly what that is, but apparently it's a few day job and the parts will arrive in the next few days. I've been given a TLX loaner until the car is repaired.

I plan to stop by the dealer today in person to inquire more, but does anyone happen to know what comprises of the HVAC unit? I would think it's more encompassing than just one part - and I'm also thinking the problem is more than likely in the evaporator where moisture collects, so this part should definitely be replaced...
My understanding is that anything that creates or is involved in moisture management (filter,evaporator, etc..) is fair game to create a smell. There are only so many parts to an AC system. Did the service people check the air inlets for any debris?
Old 08-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
The dealer is replacing #3.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Good luck with the dealership ripping your ride apart......Oh boy....I would not be happy with this! A few days huh....I bet....you better hope they get all that back together nice and tight as from the factory....
Old 09-01-2015, 03:27 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
I had the same issue when I first purchased the car and in previous cars. It was due to the fact that the car sat for awhile. Normal use should dissipate the smell. There are special cleaners made to resolve this issue. Another tip is turn off the AC a few minutes before shutting off the car to allow the coils to dry out and prevent mold and mildew. It is common issue in all cars.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I was going to say the same. Short drives to the store cause this to happen. Always turn off the AC a half mile before returning home to avoid this. I use WURTH AC conditioner with my 2004 RL as most Acura's are prone to this...I would NOT let them change that unit if I were you....I spray Wurth about every six months and change my AC allergen filters at the same time....What is happening is if you leave a glass of water with ice in it....5 min later you have condensation build up on the outside of the glass....this is the same thing happening with your AC system...Keep us posted...
Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
So I got my car back - it was at the dealership from Wednesday last week until yesterday.

As suspected, it was a very big job. When I went to see the car, here is a picture of the state it was in. I damn near almost soiled myself. If any of you have ever wondered what's behind the dash of an RLX - now you know!

Name:  RLX%20HVAC%20Unit%20replacement_zpslbolycat.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  209.1 KB

I was very clear with the Service Manager what my expectations were - I expected when the car was returned, I would not hear one single creak, rattle or squeak and the inside would be fully detailed (during a subsequent visit I saw the car with the dash/seats etc. reinstalled - but it was quite dirty/greasy with finger prints everywhere). Considering the work involved, I will say they took care of my car and returned it to me as I had hoped. Good news is the smell is gone - as of now anyway.

Unfortunately the hands-free microphone was obviously not reconnected as that feature isn't working. The car is also pulling to the right now - so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with reinstalling the steering wheel. I thought that was more alignment related - but they didn't do any work on that and it wasn't pulling when I brought it in to them.

I also had them do the Homelink TSB and it now seems worse - I have to almost physically be touching the garage door for it to open - yet our Odyssey can open the same garage door all the way down our street.

I typically do turn off the AC before arriving at my destination. The dealer also told me not to have recirc on without the AC - and to avoid using the "Auto" feature if possible as it will recirc without the AC periodically. Instead, they recommend setting the temperature manually, activating the AC and putting the mode to fresh air. This was the advice they received from the Acura Tech team.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Avoid using the Auto feature? Really? I use that daily in my RLX, and I turn off shortly before arriving at my destination nowadays.

In any case, that looks like a HUGE job there, with nearly the entire interior out.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

OMG! NO way would I let any dealership do this!!!! Good luck with that too!

And yes as NueronBob says...I use my Auto Ac selection 24by7.....Never heard that before and I have 3 Acura's currently.....
Old 09-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
My two cents...the smell from the HVAC would have to approach lethal levels before I would let anyone rip my car apart like that. Even then I'd insist on an Acura engineer be flown in to oversee the operation. WOW.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Originally Posted by hondamore
My two cents...the smell from the HVAC would have to approach lethal levels before I would let anyone rip my car apart like that. Even then I'd insist on an Acura engineer be flown in to oversee the operation. WOW.

I can't agree with you more Hondamore!!!!! shame on that Dealership for doing this!!!! It will never be the same...... A simple can of commerical WURTH and clean AC Allergen filters would have done the job!!!! I am almost sick to my stomach looking at that picture!!!!! :what :
Old 09-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Wurth and new filter solved my issue, also.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
<p>be careful spraying anything in the vents. the ecu sits directly below.</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
Old 09-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Follow the instruction on the can. ONLY spray entire contents in the HVAC blower as instructed! Never spray in the vents!!!!
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (09-10-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 02:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Took out In-cabin filter and sprayed into the blower. When you do this remove all paper/napkins/tissues form glove box and surrounding area. Don't ask me why I know this.
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (09-14-2015)