Crappy MPG? - '18 Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 03:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Crappy MPG? - '18 Hybrid

I just upgraded from my '14 Tech to an '18 Hybrid Adv. Overall, the new car is nicer but the MPGs are worse. I do understand that the gas tank is smaller, but I am lucky to get 300 miles on a fill-up. I average around 23.5mpg.

What is everyone else getting on their RLX Hybrid?

Tim

Old 09-13-2023, 04:24 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I have an 18 RLX Hybrid also since Dec of 2019. My lifetime average for +22,000 miles is around 27.8 mpgs with about 80% city driving. The small 15 gal gas tank and small trunk sucks for road trip; especially, at +80 mph or a stiff headwind. I've had a few tanks of gas in the 24-25 range (lowest was 21.7 mpgs for a 152 miles).

How many tanks of gas have you put into the RLX? It might take some time to get the hang of driving with the hybrid powertrain for it to transition more often into EV mode. I was lucky to have a 19 MDX sport hybrid and was use to the powertrain before I purchased the RLX almost a year later (24.6 mpg lifetime for the MDX hybrid).
The following users liked this post:
Damiein (09-20-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 304 Likes on 212 Posts
My wife drives our '18 Hybrid Advance almost exclusively, and her lifetime MPG's are over 30. She drives mostly backroads, where the EV mode runs a lot - and that's what saves MPG's big time. We've taken a couple of highway road trips in it and gotten 27-ish MPG on average - where the EV mode doesn't kick in much, if at all. If you're getting low MPG's, especially in rural/city driving, keep an eye on the tachometer to see how often the car is moving at 0 RPM's - that's when the EV is working and you're getting the MPG's up. Also make sure you're not running in Sport mode, since that keeps the gas motor on most of the time....
Damiein (09-20-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I average around 29 mpg overall in mostly city driving in my 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid but have had several tankfuls produce 32 mpg plus. I live in a northern climate, so the cold weather really brings down my average (see below).

There are a number of threads on this forum discussing fuel economy of the RLX Sport Hybrid and they all seem to point to driving style as being one of the main factors. As others have mentioned, allowing the car to enter EV mode as often as possible is the best way to reap the mileage benefits of the hybrid system. To do that, obviously avoid using Sport mode, accelerate gently and coast and gently brake early rolling up to a red light. You can try to alter the reactive force accelerator pedal to a firmer setting which may help "lighten" your right foot and result in gentler acceleration. If you are just a speed junky and love the acceleration of the Sport Hybrid, then, by all means just enjoy the ride but don't expect great mileage. If you can change your driving to a more sedate style, then you can enjoy the quiet, smooth ride of the RLX Sport Hybrid even more and get much, much better mileage as a bonus.

Some other factors which can negatively effect your fuel economy are trip length (the system won't enter EV mode until the engine is warmed up and the battery is fully charged, so repeated short trips tend to result in less EV mode and lower mileage) and cold weather (if the car is calling for heat, the ICE must be running for the cabin heater to work so the car won't enter EV mode). As others have mentioned, it just takes time to get used to the Sport Hybrid system so that you can enjoy that wonderful acceleration when you feel the need for speed, but also smoothen things out and learn to slow down and get great mileage.

Either way, I hope that you enjoy your new ride.

Last edited by hondamore; 09-14-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Damiein (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 09:06 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the pointers! I do try to drive the car like I have grandma in the passenger seat. So far, the best I can manage is 24. I did notice that the previous owner put 255 tires on the car, so I am wondering if that is dragging down the mileage.

I have a list of things I have noticed as different between the '14 tech and this Hybrid. I might post my thoughts/findings between the two.

Thanks again!!

Tim
Old 09-20-2023, 09:45 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I had to change the way I drive when I had my 08 RDX 2.3T compared to my 2.4L 06 TSX or 3.7L 11 MDX living +5000 feet. My MDX Sport Hybrid and RLX Sport Hybrid seems to feel closer to my 08 RDX variable Turbo for power delivery. I still drive both the MDX/RLX normally; but, I ease into the throttle if in EV mode at a stop. I let the Sport Hybrid system kick in when needed depending on performance and acceleration needed. It might also take some time for the 7DCT to learn your driving habits from the previous owner? I seem to get more variations in mpgs with range of 21-34 mpg per tank at 60-80 mph hwy driving compared to 100% city driving of 25-29 mpg range.

I switched to full syn Mobil 1 oil and use either Sams/Costco 91 octane gas. Maybe the 255 size tires might be an issue depending on the type and PSI level. I'm still on OEM tires and plan to switch to Conti DWS 06+ in 2024 when they wear out.
Damiein (09-23-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 10:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
It might be worth changing the setting of the Reactive Force Gas Pedal to a higher setting to see if that makes a difference to your milage. In the MID, go to Vehicle Settings the select Driver Assist Systems Setup, then choose Reactive Force Pedal and change the setting to High. This makes the gas pedal a little firmer and makes it easier to get better mileage. If it is already set on high, then your right foot might still be the issue.

Good luck and enjoy.
Damiein (09-23-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 06:32 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I’m in the same boat. Bought the hybrid thinking i’d get performance and efficiency. My best to date is 26.3mpg mostly highway. I live in central NJ where it’s stop & go traffic. I average around 24mpg. Not the amazing mileage I was expecting based on reviews but considering the V6 & performance it’s not terribly disappointing. I’ve become one with the car and can tell when it goes into hybrid mode. Again, due to the flow of traffic & the congested roads that I drive, the minute the hybrid kicks in it also goes away.

The secret is you need long stretches of roads without traffic lights to maximize the hybrid. Also I learned this in the last winter - do NOT turn your heat all the way to the max - i saw my mpg dip down to 21mpg & noticed the car never went into hybrid mode.
Damiein (09-23-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 08:20 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
I have 91k miles on my 2020 RLX advance which is impeccably maintained. I bought it new and MPG have been consistent since new. I do notice a significant drop of about 5-6 less MPG's on winter fuels. A few years ago when I had my 2012 RL in the shop I had a 2018 RLX Paws loaner. I seem to recall I got about the same 32 mpg with that car the week I had it. Mostly highway. I filled the tank yesterday and drove roundtrip last evening from Dulles Va into DC and back. Zelenksy was in town bar hopping so the traffic in DC was horrific. My mpgs were 26 for the 80 mile roundtrip. Mostly bumper to bumper stop and go traffic. I agree with others, the Hybrid does best on highway.

Last 3 tanks

Still looking new at 91k miles
The following 2 users liked this post by CadiGTi:
Damiein (09-23-2023), neuronbob (10-24-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 10:30 AM
Pinky all stinky

I have a pre-owned ‘18 in the same color. How do you keep the paint so nice? I opt for the wax spray at my local car wash but it’s nowhere near as good as that!
Old 09-22-2023, 01:04 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
I started detailing cars in the street in front of our home when I was 12. Not what I do for a living (although in hindsight and against my parents wishes, I probably should have made a career of it!), but I enjoy detailing more than most than anything else. I try and always hand wash my cars. Earlier this year I used Adams Advanced Graphene Ceramic coating. I always (synthetic) clay the car first, use a "strip wash" and then a paint coating Prep Polish with a random orbital, and then apply the Ceramic coating. Frankly the paint looks better today after the ceramic than it did in July of 2020 when it was brand new. I also think frequent hand washing is a key to preserving a great finish. After some washes, I also use a spray quick detail ceramic to boost the protection.
The Ceramic makes washing easier and I believe helps lessen build up on the finish. A few weeks ago I used my random orbital with Adams Ceramic Liquid wax (has some cleaner) as a maintenance step to remove any imbedded build up and also apply an additional fresh layer of protection.
I also have Xpel clear film installed from the A pillars forward on all my cars when new. You still get some stone scars, but much less, and the Xpel eliminates the sand blast/road rash.
The guy that does my Xpel charges $2k for Professional Ceramic coating. I pay about $100 for the Adams Ceramic. I am sure a Pro coating if done right is better than what I can do, but I could never justify $2k for a high end coating. And at the end of the day, at least to my eye, my 3 cars all look pristine and showroom new.
https://adamspolishes.com/collection...ting™-advanced

Last edited by CadiGTi; 09-22-2023 at 01:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CadiGTi:
Damiein (09-23-2023), mrgold35 (09-23-2023), phile (09-22-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Today is the first day I ran the heater. I too noticed that the car never went into hybrid mode and the gas mileage went down. As soon as I turned the climate system off, the car shut off immediately as to run on the battery. The heat was set to High, with the fan at 3. Based on what you said, if I turn the heat to say 72, will the hybrid mode work again?

Tim

Originally Posted by phile
I’m in the same boat. Bought the hybrid thinking i’d get performance and efficiency. My best to date is 26.3mpg mostly highway. I live in central NJ where it’s stop & go traffic. I average around 24mpg. Not the amazing mileage I was expecting based on reviews but considering the V6 & performance it’s not terribly disappointing. I’ve become one with the car and can tell when it goes into hybrid mode. Again, due to the flow of traffic & the congested roads that I drive, the minute the hybrid kicks in it also goes away.

The secret is you need long stretches of roads without traffic lights to maximize the hybrid. Also I learned this in the last winter - do NOT turn your heat all the way to the max - i saw my mpg dip down to 21mpg & noticed the car never went into hybrid mode.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Damn I do love blue! If I hadn't already had an '06 TL that was blue, I would have sought one out. Also, when I was looking, the only blue ones I could find had the white interior. That would have been ok had it not been for the white steering wheel. I found that ghastly! As my '14 RLX paws was black/black, I opted to go with the titanium white (black interior) and I sure glad I did! The interior temps dropped significantly and on a 100-degree day, the car didn't burn me if I touched the sheet metal!

Tim

Old 09-24-2023, 09:02 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by Damiein
Today is the first day I ran the heater. I too noticed that the car never went into hybrid mode and the gas mileage went down. As soon as I turned the climate system off, the car shut off immediately as to run on the battery. The heat was set to High, with the fan at 3. Based on what you said, if I turn the heat to say 72, will the hybrid mode work again?

Tim
Yes the hybrid mode works up until you go all the way to High. Stay out of High. I think it goes into the 80’s then High. As long as you’re not in High the hybrid mode will kick in.
Damiein (09-26-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Damiein

Tim
When I had my RLX hybrid, I kept the climate control set at 72 degrees all year and hybrid mode worked fine. Turning the heat all the way up will prevent going into full hybrid mode in my experience as well.