Beta Tester report: first road trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Beta Tester report: first road trip

I drove over 350 miles yesterday, about 170 miles each way, to and from Detroit for the NAIAS. This was my most extensive use of the ACC/LKAS system and let me tell you, it really does make for a less fatigued drive. Once I got on the freeway and set the cruise control at 76 mph, that was pretty much it. On the Ohio Turnpike, the only time I had to touch the brakes was when I got to the I-280 exit to head north to Detroit.

Downtown Detroit and skyline in another HUD picture:

Mileage was 27.3 on the way there. Ethanol sucks! Maybe Acura needs to write new software to remap the engine function for winter blend to keep mileage up? Still, 27.3 mpg for a heavy 377 hp sedan, with three people aboard, at 76 mph, and in the cold, I'm not going to complain about that much.

One of my rewards for going to NAIAS: NSX swag.

TLX interior. The RLX interior is far superior. Better textures and doesn't feel cheap anywhere when you touch the interior. TLX is not bad, but RLX is better in much the same way as the RL was better than the TL.

On the way back: The Veteran's Glass City Skyway on I-280 near Toledo, OH

Ohio Turnpike back eastbound toward Cleveland. See the tar strip on the left of the lane? This caused false lane departure warnings, mile after mile, if I was too far left in the lane. I had to stay in the right side of the lane to keep the warning off. You could feel the LKAS working as the steering wheel slightly tugged this way or that to keep you in the lane. I let it do its thing and held the wheel lightly....so lightly that a few times, the "steering required" light came on. It only comes on in the MID, not in the HUD.

Mileage on the return trip, same conditions as on the inbound trip: 26.9 mpg

I was able to do the entire trip on one tank of gas, a change from my CTS-V, with which I would have had to fill up on the way home.

Nice, smooth ride even on the occasionally broken pavement on I-75 in Michigan.

More of my NAIAS pictures are in Car Talk:
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal...%2A%2A-924291/

Last edited by neuronbob; 01-18-2015 at 07:40 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by neuronbob:
holografique (01-18-2015), hondamore (01-18-2015), Ken1997TL (01-19-2015), rockstar143 (01-18-2015), sooththetruth (01-18-2015), TampaRLX-SH (01-19-2015), wstr75 (01-18-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
the first year of my RLX I did a number of 2-4 hour long road trips, with a couple of 7-hour trips down to FL. And yea, LKAS/ACC makes a HUGE difference.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts

hi Bob...I stopped in because it was you that created the thread. Didn't regret the click, either...
Old 01-19-2015, 07:57 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Still not sure why I get better fuel economy.

For a while, I thought it must be so many Yankees and Canajuns with bad winter mixes, but there's a couple of southerners who also report lower fuel economy than I have.

It's only just now dipped down to 29.9 mpg on winter fuel in Virginia.

I've settled into BP and Exxon purchases, only for convenience sake, and I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I drove over 350 miles yesterday, about 170 miles each way, to and from Detroit for the NAIAS. This was my most extensive use of the ACC/LKAS system and let me tell you, it really does make for a less fatigued drive. Once I got on the freeway and set the cruise control at 76 mph, that was pretty much it. On the Ohio Turnpike, the only time I had to touch the brakes was when I got to the I-280 exit to head north to Detroit.
/

Totally agree with you on ACC/LKAS. I love using it because it gives me warnings-that I do not ignore-and helps tremendously with fatigue.

Mileage was 27.3 on the way there. Ethanol sucks! Maybe Acura needs to write new software to remap the engine function for winter blend to keep mileage up? Still, 27.3 mpg for a heavy 377 hp sedan, with three people aboard, at 76 mph, and in the cold, I'm not going to complain about that much.
/
I have the same mileage numbers. To George's comments later in the thread. Switched from Shell to BP=mileage has gone up by 2.3 mpg on same route over two gas tanks. Do not know what to make of it just yet.

TLX interior. The RLX interior is far superior. Better textures and doesn't feel cheap anywhere when you touch the interior. TLX is not bad, but RLX is better in much the same way as the RL was better than the TL./
Agreed. I sat in an Advance TLX and then the RLX at same dealer. Interior of RLX is vastly superior.

Ohio Turnpike back eastbound toward Cleveland. See the tar strip on the left of the lane? This caused false lane departure warnings, mile after mile, if I was too far left in the lane. I had to stay in the right side of the lane to keep the warning off. You could feel the LKAS working as the steering wheel slightly tugged this way or that to keep you in the lane. I let it do its thing and held the wheel lightly....so lightly that a few times, the "steering required" light came on. It only comes on in the MID, not in the HUD.

Mileage on the return trip, same conditions as on the inbound trip: 26.9 mpg

/
I had taken a trip to Case Western and to Carnegie Mellon and I experienced the same exact issue. The trip was in spring of last year.

Great report. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Still not sure why I get better fuel economy.

For a while, I thought it must be so many Yankees and Canajuns with bad winter mixes, but there's a couple of southerners who also report lower fuel economy than I have.

It's only just now dipped down to 29.9 mpg on winter fuel in Virginia.

I've settled into BP and Exxon purchases, only for convenience sake, and I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Based on your earlier response I switched fuel to see if there is something to it. BP is giving me better mileage=I use 93.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Zoommer
I had taken a trip to Case Western and to Carnegie Mellon and I experienced the same exact issue. The trip was in spring of last year.

Great report. Thanks for sharing.
Next time you're in Cleveland LMK.

I'm not sure the fuel economy is the car's fault.

I just changed gas to Marathon with the tank I filled on Saturday after the trip. I'm willing to try BP as well.

I generally use Shell as it works well for my CTS-V and gives that car the highest mileage. It's also Top Tier, as opposed to BP and Marathon.

Again, here in the Midwest, the fuel is all ethanolized and worse, in Ohio, fuel sellers are not required to state the amount of ethanol in the fuel. The changes for winter fuel also reduce mileage further. I'm not sure the gas is all that different as all the manufacturers obtain from the same refineries; the only difference is in the additives. Even so, worth a shot.

Last edited by neuronbob; 01-19-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Grandpa

I generally use Shell .... It's also Top Tier, as opposed to BP....
Her Majesty would like to know what you mean, exactly.

:-)
Old 01-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Her Majesty would like to know what you mean, exactly.

Which majesty? Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain or Queen Maxima of the Netherlands?

Top Tier Gasoline
Old 01-19-2015, 11:02 AM
Grandpa

Which majesty? Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain or Queen Maxima of the Netherlands?
The North Sea oil rigs have to be leased from the Crown Estate, and the Crown Estate gets a percentage of all of it.

The revenues are given to the state in return for 15% of the income.

The monarchy doesn't live off of taxes. It lives off of its 15% of the revenues of the Crown Estate.

Every time there is a Demise of the Crown, Parliament has to make a big deal of asking the new sovereign for the rights to the incomes of the Crown Estate.

It makes governments very nervous, especially while the UK is a part of the EU.

Constitutional extrapolations of decisions reached by the European Court of Human rights when dealing with the King of the Hellenes, the ex-King of Romania, and Smeon von Oldenburg of Bulgaria have made it rather clear that the crown estates of a place belong not to a nation, but more than likely to an individual.

Inasmuch as the Crown Estate of the United Kingdom includes the entire shoreline and continental shelf, economic zone of exclusion, the Duchy of Cornwall, the Duchy of Lancaster, and all kinds of other very rich parcels of real estate inside London and Westminster, you can imagine that the government are anxious to try to be sure that a decent settlement is reached every change of monarch.

This is not a colorful pretense...it's a very real economic and constitutional power that the government can use against the tax burden that would exist without it.

I had no idea of a "top tier" in gasoline, so that's something I've learned today.

They have a little Web site for the conventional properties: http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk

Last edited by George Knighton; 01-19-2015 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fsmith (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 11:06 AM
Grandpa

It looks from the list at the site you gave that BP are in the Top Tier list.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

The list changes periodically. BP wasn't on the list the last time I checked, long ago.

Thanks for teaching about the Crown Estates. I wasn't aware of its importance.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Racer

I had no idea of a "top tier" in gasoline, so that's something I've learned today.

They have a little Web site for the conventional properties: The Crown Estate

I have only used Top Tier

Top Tier Gasoline

The following manufacturers "adopted" the need for it: BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi

Even with that there is always doubt whether the gas station is being supplied so to guarantee that the gasoline dispensed by the hose is actually what is posted on the pump. It is up to the state to have random checks.

I have learned the hard way (engine knock) that the quality does make a difference.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Racer

Next time you're in Cleveland LMK.
Will do. Depends on kid choosing a place to go to Univ. We really enjoyed Cleveland and were pleasantly surprised on the amount of construction around CWR and Cleveland Clinic. Looks like a revival. Really enjoyed food as well.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoommer
Will do. Depends on kid choosing a place to go to Univ. We really enjoyed Cleveland and were pleasantly surprised on the amount of construction around CWR and Cleveland Clinic. Looks like a revival. Really enjoyed food as well.
Did you eat at Michael Symon's restaraunts?
Old 01-19-2015, 07:58 PM
Racer

Sure did. That whole area is full of restaurants. We had made reservations well ahead of time. It was excellent.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Ya, Cleveland is not completely the dump the national media make it out to be. Lots of restaurants and arts here. Just avoid the bad neighborhoods (easy to do) and you're just fine here.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:48 AM
Grandpa

Certainly glad that Honda is associated with Mid-Ohio. :-)

It's a great place...almost as good as VIR, but I might be a little prejudiced in that regard.

But that's not exactly close to Cleveland.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
I know you guys are happy to brag about your hybrids' MPG, however, my RLX Lite seems to be beating you all in the highway department.

We took a long road trip at Christmas - three adults, as much luggage and stuff as we could jam in. The vehicle averaged 33 mpg. Temp < 30F , 70- 75 mph. 93 and 91 no-name fuel. I have averaged as high as 35 mpg in the summer. I have never had a full size car that could get this level of mpg before. Acura has got a lot of good pieces together here.

The hybrid is carrying several hundred extra pounds of weight I believe.
The following 2 users liked this post by R. White:
neuronbob (01-20-2015), woropallo (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by R. White
I have averaged as high as 35 mpg in the summer.

Yup. :-)

There's a chance I'll take the car from DC to Orlando at the end of March, instead of flying, so we'll see how it does on that long a trip.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by R. White
I know you guys are happy to brag about your hybrids' MPG, however, my RLX Lite seems to be beating you all in the highway department.

We took a long road trip at Christmas - three adults, as much luggage and stuff as we could jam in. The vehicle averaged 33 mpg. Temp < 30F , 70- 75 mph. 93 and 91 no-name fuel. I have averaged as high as 35 mpg in the summer. I have never had a full size car that could get this level of mpg before. Acura has got a lot of good pieces together here.

All kidding aside, that is pretty sad that the hybrid version of the RLX can't beat out the GDI version in highway mileage. Again, we buy the hybrid for the "powa" , but I'd love to be getting even 32 mpg (advertised highway mileage) on the highway during the winter, on winter blend. Hopefully someone at Acura is looking at this conundrum and will resolve it for a MMC.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Hybrid has no advantage on highway