Add me to the list

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Add me to the list

Just brought my new 2014 Tech Pkg. RLX home. Graphite Luster/Graystone.
I like the styling of the car, although I wish the taillights weren't so Chevy Cruze-looking. otherwise I'm good with it.

Looks like I'll have a learning curve (or an un-learning curve) between this one and my previous Acuras. They've moved things around in the menus, and done some confusing things - like tying the headlights/running lights to having the seat belts fastened. And the parking brake protocol can be frustrating.

I'm relieved to see the headlights do a good job, and wow, when you hit the brights you can start grass fires. Yes, the ride is a little choppy under some circumstances, but Acura has always biased their ride toward the firm. And I'm sure the 19's contribute to that.

Overall, the car seems comfy, except that the steering wheel seems far away from the dash when a comfortable driving position is achieved.

Have only a few short miles on it, so I can't really comment, but I think it's a keeper.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Looks like I'll have a learning curve (or an un-learning curve) between this one and my previous Acuras. They've moved things around in the menus....
Yup. And the way that the voice commands work is new, which takes some getting used to. I'd just barely got used to the 4G TL. :-/

And the parking brake protocol can be frustrating.
Once you set it, remember that it'll automatically release when the car detects pressure on the gas pedal. Once I got used to that, it's pretty simple.

Yes, the ride is a little choppy under some circumstances....
I've discovered that the answer to this is to drive faster.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Yup. And the way that the voice commands work is new, which takes some getting used to. I'd just barely got used to the 4G TL. :-/

Once you set it, remember that it'll automatically release when the car detects pressure on the gas pedal. Once I got used to that, it's pretty simple.

I've discovered that the answer to this is to drive faster.
Drive faster. LOL.

The parking brake thing I'm talking about happened while I was trying to show my wife the Jewel Eye headlights and DRL's. I started the car and set the parking brake so I could get out and look. The lights wouldn't come on, so I thought it was because the parking brake was on. For some reason I couldn't get the parking brake to disengage, in spite of messages on the instrument panel to press the brake and so on.

I finally got it, but it seemed like the car wanted me to fasten my seatbelt and pretend I was driving away before it would let me. I'm still puzzled about that one.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Drive faster. LOL.
The RLX has old fashioned twin tube shocks, but relatively stiffer springs.

There's a speed at which the combination doesn't work perfectly, but that's typically at something like 15 - 25 mph on sections of road that are up for repair, or some similar situation that's on a rather rough bit of travel.

If you were in a situation where you'd be pushing it a little harder, then the shocks come into their own to equal the spring rates and sway bar rates.

I'd have to type a little more to explain it thoroughly, but I suspect you'll catch on rather quickly by learning the car. :-)
Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Congrats, enjoy.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:23 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
The RLX has old fashioned twin tube shocks, but relatively stiffer springs.

There's a speed at which the combination doesn't work perfectly, but that's typically at something like 15 - 25 mph on sections of road that are up for repair, or some similar situation that's on a rather rough bit of travel.

If you were in a situation where you'd be pushing it a little harder, then the shocks come into their own to equal the spring rates and sway bar rates.

I'd have to type a little more to explain it thoroughly, but I suspect you'll catch on rather quickly by learning the car. :-)
No, I get it - there is a speed range where all the bits and pieces achieve harmony, and until then it's just a little out of synch.

I think that's true of most cars without variable-rate dampers.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:23 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by terdonal
Congrats, enjoy.
Thanks, Terry!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Congrats! Nice pickup!

May I ask how much discount did you get from the deal? Thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Congrats! A good choice. And welcome back to the RL (kinda....RLX....whatever) side.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Congrats! Nice pickup!

May I ask how much discount did you get from the deal? Thanks!
Honestly, I don't know. This is a lease, and I had some negative equity carried over from previous purchases to muddy the waters.

At this stage, I negotiate on lease payments. I will alwas have a lease payment (or car payment of some kind), so I figure the best car I can wrangle for a give price the better it is for me.

I had a 2013 RDX (leased) which I traded in, and I took a loss on that, but the end result is I put a little cash with it and got an RLX for about the same lease payment as the RDX.

I can tell you, however, that Acura has some smokin' lease deals right now, such as the $560 zero down, 35 payment deal I worked off of. they also have a $499 lease, but it requires some cash down and it all works out about the same as the other deal.

Acura has about $5,750 of factory cash on the RLX right now, so you know you can get at least that much discounted. Push a little and I'll bet you can get close to $10,000 off MSRP

The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Congrats! A good choice. And welcome back to the RL (kinda....RLX....whatever) side.
Thanks, Bob. You're not sorry to see me haunting your house again?

Old 01-25-2014, 04:45 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
Hey Mike,
Congratulations, I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy it..
The following users liked this post:
Mike_TX (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 02:35 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations Mike.

Since it has been a number of years since you owned your last RL, what do you think are the most significant improvements achieved by Acura in your new RLX?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by shepsan
Congratulations Mike.

Since it has been a number of years since you owned your last RL, what do you think are the most significant improvements achieved by Acura in your new RLX?
Hello, Shep!

As much as I enjoyed my '06 RL, this one seems to be more "developed". A lot of that has to do with technologies that weren't around in 2006, or weren't in widespread use. For example, I think the Lane Departure Warning might prove to be a useful feature, as will the Blind Spot warning system. The LDW could conceivably become annoying, but I always signal lane changes anyway, so it rarely beeps at me.

The electric parking brake and Brake Hold features weren't available in 2006, but I experienced them in a later car, and I'm really happy to have them back in the RLX.

The P-AWS is a new feature, and I haven't really had the chance to see how it does on windy roads, etc., so the jury is still out. It's not a complete replacement for SH-AWD, but that's something else I never really exploited in the '06.

The most obvious things I'm seeing are size and power. The backseat area is cavernous, and legroom behind my driver's seat is limo-like. Complaints about the previous-generation RL being too small have definitely been addressed.

The '06 was advertised as having 300hp, but it never felt like it. The RLX has 310, but it feels like more. The combination of direct injection and gearing give this car a LOT of get up and go. I haven't pressed it yet, but it really seems to be a strong powertrain. And as a bonus, gas mileage is far better.

The interior of the previous-gen RL was very nice, but this one takes it to another level. Very nice materials and fit-and-finish.

So to sum it up, I'd have to say the improvements are in size, power, economy, and overall refinement.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:44 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From your comments, it appears that Acura has indeed done many positive things since I last owned an RL. The new RLX is very appealing.

Good luck with it and I trust you will have many safe and enjoyable miles driving it.