AcuraLink Subscription - Show of hands

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
AcuraLink Subscription - Show of hands

1. How many of you ended up subscribing to either the Connect or Premium plans after your 90 day trial period?
  2. How many of you didn't even bother activating your 90 day trial period for the Connect or Premium plans?
Just found out that even though the RLX has remote engine start capability, that feature isn't tied into AcuraLink. That just seems like the overpriced AcuraLink lost its appeal. Debating whether the fees are even worth it without remote engine start during the winter.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts
I purchased my RLX used so I didn't have the 90 days AcuraLink trial. I'd have liked to try it. But you're right, remote start is not included on any of the plans since we already have remote start on the keyfob. I prefer the keyfob option so you don't have to pay extra for a subscription to use it, granted the distance is limited on keyfob. Being in Midwest with your brutal winter weather, I supposed you have more need to use remote start then I do in Southern California. Still a nice feature to have on hot summer days to cool the car down before entering.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:48 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I did the 90 day free trial for both my 19 MDX and CPO 18 RLX. I don't have much use for remote start because the weather is so mild in winter and the low humidity summer heat doesn't take much to cool off the vehicle. I do like how the Acuralink app links to my iCloud calendar for upcoming events. I like the one touch feature to send iCloud addresses from my calendar to the vehicle or do an in-app search with Apple maps to send an address to the Acura Navi. I like using Acuralink to input addresses into the RLX navi compared trying to input manually. I went ahead and did the 3 year Acuralink Connect in Feb/20.

It is also nice to see at a glance on our iphones the tire PSI, fuel level, range, and oil life %.
The following users liked this post:
StHalcyon (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
For both my '19 MDX and '18 RLX I did the 90 day trial and have taken out the Connect AcuraLink subscription. It was obviously more useful before my vehicles became garage queens, and I find it mostly useful to move addresses to the nav system in the vehicle. That plus remote lock verification, plus the ability to see some of the details, is worth the subscription to me.
StHalcyon (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 06:22 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 179 Likes on 100 Posts
I had it during the free trial period. I called Acura Link which is a 3rd party vendor near the end of the trial period to renew it. I was on hold forever and when someone did answer I was told the phone number I was given in the new car literature for Acura Link was for Acura’s with more up to date telematics and I needed to call a “first gen” desk that handled the (dated) RLX telematics. By the time someone answered that line I told them to cancel the trial and just end the service. I have a 2019 Chevy Corvette with OnStar. I do pay to keep OnStar and 4G LTE in that car. The OnStar is slightly more advanced and since the Corvette is a “rest of life” car and I live in Arlington that has quickly become a high risk area for theft and carjacking I feel it is worth it. I like the theft alert and car tracking.
I had OnStar in my 2003 Acura CL-S (when Acura and VW had contracts with OnStar). It was a great help during 2 emergencies I had. One push of the OnStar button and the police knew exactly where you were, even in a remote situation via OnStar.
StHalcyon (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

This is off a tangent...if you use a Samsung phone and have compatible car with Android Auto, Samsung is rolling out new updated to allow for start/stop engine or activate heater/AC from within Smartthings app. I can already open my garage door from within Android Auto or turn on the porch lights via voice commands. I doubt our cars are supported at the moment with some of the more advanced features, but maybe someday GROM will release an update to allow this to happen. They (GROM) told me they're working on in-car telemetry (much like Torque app) to be display in VL2 interface. You would probably need always on in-car Internet connection for some of these features to work. Don't know how fast that would kill the car's 12V battery. Just exciting to see new development happening with Android Auto.
mrgold35 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 07:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I did the 90 day free trial for both my 19 MDX and CPO 18 RLX. I don't have much use for remote start because the weather is so mild in winter and the low humidity summer heat doesn't take much to cool off the vehicle. I do like how the Acuralink app links to my iCloud calendar for upcoming events. I like the one touch feature to send iCloud addresses from my calendar to the vehicle or do an in-app search with Apple maps to send an address to the Acura Navi. I like using Acuralink to input addresses into the RLX navi compared trying to input manually. I went ahead and did the 3 year Acuralink Connect in Feb/20.

It is also nice to see at a glance on our iphones the tire PSI, fuel level, range, and oil life %.
I agree, being able to see the odometer, fuel level, tire pressure, oil life, and range is really nice. But that range is temperamental. It reports correct estimated fuel left, but 0 mile range. Huh? LOL

Originally Posted by andysinnh
For both my '19 MDX and '18 RLX I did the 90 day trial and have taken out the Connect AcuraLink subscription. It was obviously more useful before my vehicles became garage queens, and I find it mostly useful to move addresses to the nav system in the vehicle. That plus remote lock verification, plus the ability to see some of the details, is worth the subscription to me.
Definitely the remote lock is pretty cool. But I noticed the remote lock doesn't obey the personal setting to fold the mirrors in when locking.

Originally Posted by CadiGTi
I had it during the free trial period. I called Acura Link which is a 3rd party vendor near the end of the trial period to renew it. I was on hold forever and when someone did answer I was told the phone number I was given in the new car literature for Acura Link was for Acura’s with more up to date telematics and I needed to call a “first gen” desk that handled the (dated) RLX telematics. By the time someone answered that line I told them to cancel the trial and just end the service. I have a 2019 Chevy Corvette with OnStar. I do pay to keep OnStar and 4G LTE in that car. The OnStar is slightly more advanced and since the Corvette is a “rest of life” car and I live in Arlington that has quickly become a high risk area for theft and carjacking I feel it is worth it. I like the theft alert and car tracking.
I had OnStar in my 2003 Acura CL-S (when Acura and VW had contracts with OnStar). It was a great help during 2 emergencies I had. One push of the OnStar button and the police knew exactly where you were, even in a remote situation via OnStar.
Hmm... You got me thinking, since carjacking in Chicago has become a thing here. Maybe I should give the Connect plan a serious consideration when the trial period ends...
Old 02-02-2021, 06:17 AM
Too many cars

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I did not subscribe to any of the plans on our RLX. The only car I have owned that required a fee to use the remote start was our 2017 Lexus RCF - and I was very disappointed in the company for charging for it. No I didn't subscribe to the Lexus plan either. Remote start has been free on everything else I have recently or currently own - 2021 BMW X5, 2019 Corvette, 2019 RAM, 2017 Ridgeline. As it should be......
The following 2 users liked this post by 647TTA:
moose66 (02-02-2021), StHalcyon (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 07:47 AM
mrgold35

Another (side) reasons I keep Acuralink is for if the car is stolen or if I'm in an accident and can't respond. Never had an issue with either in my +40 years of driving. Not 100% convinced these services would work when I sometimes can't get a status update with the car 10 feet away sometimes.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:57 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Originally Posted by 647TTA
I did not subscribe to any of the plans on our RLX. The only car I have owned that required a fee to use the remote start was our 2017 Lexus RCF - and I was very disappointed in the company for charging for it. No I didn't subscribe to the Lexus plan either. Remote start has been free on everything else I have recently or currently own - 2021 BMW X5, 2019 Corvette, 2019 RAM, 2017 Ridgeline. As it should be......
Did you buy your Vette from Mike Furman at Criswell Chevy? Around the time I purchased mine Mike had a post in his Sunday delivery thread with couple from NC pictured with their new Vette AND their RLX. Being Acura only sold less than 800 RLXs each year I figure strong chance!
Old 02-02-2021, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by StHalcyon
Definitely the remote lock is pretty cool. But I noticed the remote lock doesn't obey the personal setting to fold the mirrors in when locking.
That's strange - because on both my '19 MDX and '18 RLX the AcuraLink remote lock command does the exact same thing as if I was hitting the lock button on the remote. In my case, the mirrors fold in every case......
Old 02-02-2021, 08:23 AM
mrgold35

Some folks had issues with the auto fold mirrors because of freezing temps (ice probably stuck in the gears or joint). Any chance that was the issue for not working? It only happened twice in 2 years; but, my MDX passenger side mirror only didn't auto fold with the walk away lock. It was during warm weather and the MDX was in the garage.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I have the “Connect” subscription for my 2020 SH SHAWD. I have it because GROM VLine2 stillllll is not fully ready yet. Android wireless nor the camera reverse issue hasn’t been corrected.

So I have three years of Connect.

I wanted to let everyone know that the RLX AcuraLink functions that give data on tire pressure, mileage , oil life remaining are a snap shot for when the vehicle was last online and running. If you are not driving your vehicle daily and you want to check the tire pressure before you get nicely dressed to go out and use the RLX for a night out.....the tires can all be flat for all AcuraLink knows. The system does not wake up systems and poll the TPMS system for new tire pressure info.

So, the only reliable data is door position, lock status, mileage, and oil life remaining. Tire pressure is always misinformation once you turn the vehicle off and exit. Always check tire pressure regularly and once you start the car it will update.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Not 100% convinced these services would work when I sometimes can't get a status update with the car 10 feet away sometimes.
That made me chuckle.

After looking at your signature, I have garage envy. =)

Originally Posted by Triaque
I wanted to let everyone know that the RLX AcuraLink functions that give data on tire pressure, mileage , oil life remaining are a snap shot for when the vehicle was last online and running. If you are not driving your vehicle daily and you want to check the tire pressure before you get nicely dressed to go out and use the RLX for a night out.....the tires can all be flat for all AcuraLink knows. The system does not wake up systems and poll the TPMS system for new tire pressure info.

So, the only reliable data is door position, lock status, mileage, and oil life remaining. Tire pressure is always misinformation once you turn the vehicle off and exit. Always check tire pressure regularly and once you start the car it will update.
Hold up. So if I just finished from hard driving and end up with a really high hot PSI when I park, it will remember that hot PSI as the status?!? I assumed it would wake up and get current status. I have only driven more than a quarter mile on my new RLX just once. The rest of the days were spent installing and troubleshooting Grom. LOL

Originally Posted by andysinnh
That's strange - because on both my '19 MDX and '18 RLX the AcuraLink remote lock command does the exact same thing as if I was hitting the lock button on the remote. In my case, the mirrors fold in every case......
I park in a heated garage. I tested it in the garage immediately after activating my trial.

Last edited by StHalcyon; 02-02-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

I have the “Connect” subscription for my 2020 SH SHAWD. I have it because GROM VLine2 stillllll is not fully ready yet. Android wireless nor the camera reverse issue hasn’t been corrected.
What car do you have? And what version for Firmware and Software is your GROM VL2 running? My backup camera has been working flawlessly since day one. Wonder if you posi-tap the correct reverse wire. There were some confusion as to if reverse wire tap was needed in the early installation manual. GROM has since updated their packaging with additional reverse wire tap instructions and they even provided posi-tap. Use the provided posi-tap to tap Pin 24 Reverse wire. Tap the purple wire labeled REV from the supplied interface cable MCFHA3 to Purple wire on Pin 24. Purple-to-Purple. See this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-.../#post16668142

I too am waiting for GROM to release firmware update to enable wireless Android Auto. They never said this was a supported feature so if they never support this feature, I'm not going to blame them. They only announced wireless CarPlay was supported.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:09 PM
Advanced

AcuraLink

StHalcyon

Correct. The tire pressure last sampled during ignition on time is what you’ll have displayed on. AcuraLink every single time until the car is started with the READY light on and sufficient time elapses to sample the TPMS sensors. You can never “plan” ahead to check tire pressures remotely and add air pressure with your daily work clothes on. You’ll end up doing it when you get in the car and find the pressures low or like me .....I check every single time I drive it because It’s a weekend car when it’s not miserably rainy ....

JPData

Thanks for the pin out wire tap update.

Im not going to buy until they enable wireless android. After all. It’s 600 dollars and i’m installing it. Too much to invest when the hardware is already in there. They just need to activate the licensing and update the software.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Correct. The tire pressure last sampled during ignition on time is what you’ll have displayed on. AcuraLink every single time until the car is started with the READY light on and sufficient time elapses to sample the TPMS sensors. You can never “plan” ahead to check tire pressures remotely and add air pressure with your daily work clothes on. You’ll end up doing it when you get in the car and find the pressures low or like me .....I check every single time I drive it because It’s a weekend car when it’s not miserably rainy ....
Sigh. This minor detail doesn't seem to be disclosed on the website nor the app. I have a portable 110v pump and tire gauge in my trunk, and I'm already in the habit of adjusting tire pressure once a month, so it shouldn't be a problem, but the use case of the feature I had in my mind cannot be fulfilled by the actual feature's limitation/design. Bigger sigh.

What about the fuel level reported in the app? Gosh, I hope it's not the same thing where the data is at the last ignition? LOL
Old 02-02-2021, 03:29 PM
mrgold35

I've noticed the smartphone app doesn't refresh daily. I usually have to swipe it down or hit the "Refresh" link on the top right corner. You could be looking at days or weeks of previous data showing if you don't refresh. About 5% of the time it fails to refresh with the vehicles sitting in the garage.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:52 PM
Advanced

Acuralink

MrGold

They added a “Refresh” button in the right side top of the app to cue ppl to do the refresh. Thanks for prompting me on it though.

I always swipe down on apps of any kind to get the latest of whatever i’d being displayed.

The AcuraLink app has a lot of refining yet to be had. Acura has a lot more systems integration remaining to be able to present ACURAte information to customers that use the app.

Ive spent many hours discussing this with the app developers as well as the Acura customer service reps. This is how I obtained my education on the deficiencies.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:45 PM
Instructor

So... I drove my RLX farther today because of work besides my main office. I realized one cool thing about the AcuraLink feature: I can easily keep track of my trips and mileage for end of month mileage reimbursements! This is great!

Not so great? I got a 1 star grade on my driving on my way home! WTF? 2 incidents for "high speed", 2 for "hard brake", and 6 for "hard acceleration". I only remember punching it just once. AcuraLink must think I need to drive like Pious drivers or something. LOL
Old 02-04-2021, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
It was offered on my last two Acuras (RLX Sport Hybrid and TLX A-Spec). Waste of money IMHO. Didn't bother.
StHalcyon (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
It was offered on my last two Acuras (RLX Sport Hybrid and TLX A-Spec). Waste of money IMHO. Didn't bother.
Is AcuraLink marketing similar to SiriusXM, where if you cancel before trial period ends, they'll offer more discounts?
Old 02-04-2021, 06:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by StHalcyon
Is AcuraLink marketing similar to SiriusXM, where if you cancel before trial period ends, they'll offer more discounts?
Not really.
StHalcyon (02-04-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 07:55 AM
Too many cars

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CadiGTi
Did you buy your Vette from Mike Furman at Criswell Chevy? Around the time I purchased mine Mike had a post in his Sunday delivery thread with couple from NC pictured with their new Vette AND their RLX. Being Acura only sold less than 800 RLXs each year I figure strong chance!
That was us! Bright red RLX and dark red Z06.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:43 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

That was us! Bright red RLX and dark red Z06.
Great minds think alike! Small world. I love both cars as different both of them are