Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^
Someone in the automotive press actually gets the Sport Hybrid. Who knew?

....and an article about luxury cars that mentions Acura along with the big guys. How surprising!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb AutoGuide

Acura hailed the RLX as its most sophisticated product to date when it arrived for the 2014 model year. Sadly, Nobody was listening.

In its 1st full year on the market, only 3,413 copies of the RLX sold and 2015 is off to a rough start. It’s too early to tell how the rest of the year will go, but RLX sales are down almost 54 percent in the 1st quarter of 2015 compared to last year.

Meanwhile the aging Infiniti Q70 (formerly the M) is outperforming the RLX despite its lack of an up-to-the-minute powertrain.

Powertrain Re-Cap

To recap, the RLX is available with either front- or all-wheel drive. The less expensive front-wheel drive models get all-wheel steering to improve cornering agility and braking, but the all-wheel drive model is Acura’s real piece de resistance.

It uses a 3.5-liter direct injection V6 mated to an electric motor and a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission that work in concert to power the front wheels. A pair of electric motors power the rear wheels independently. They can also individually brake to offer something akin to – but not the same as – rear-wheel steering for enhanced handling.

Infiniti sells the Q70 with either rear- or all-wheel drive layouts with provision for a V6 or V8 with a regular or extended wheelbase as well as a hybrid model. 6-cylinder models use multi-port injection while the V8 takes advantage of direct injection. Regardless of which engine type you choose, the Q70 comes with a 7-speed automatic.

Acura’s hybrid technology boosts the V6 powertrain to a total of 377 HP, which isn’t as robust as the V8 Q70 with 416, but it’s still quick from a dead stop. The 5.6-liter V8 will tug the Q70 off the line with purpose, but that power comes with a significant pump tax.

Gulps Per Gallon

In an identical loop, the Q70 – equipped with all-wheel drive, the V8 and the extended wheelbase – averaged an eye watering 13 MPG. The RLX Sport Hybrid got 22.4 MPG. It’s true that the Infiniti is more powerful, but the extra muscle isn’t worth suffering through such poor mileage to enjoy.

Ride Comfort

But the Infiniti Q70 has other advantages that might make it worthwhile even if it is a gas-guzzler. Compared to the RLX, it has a smooth ride better damped to disguise broken pavement. It also offers you a greater breadth of options than Acura can because there are a greater number of variants. For example, the all-wheel drive V8 extended wheelbase model offers an extra 3 inches of legroom and almost an extra inch of headroom in the 2nd row at a $1,700 premium over the regular wheelbase model. Even with all the extra space, it is still 9 pounds lighter than the RLX Sport Hybrid.

A bloated curb weight isn’t the only area Acura’s car takes a hit. It sacrifices trunk space and a folding rear seat to house most of its hybrid components. In the end, it only has 12 cubic feet of trunk space.

AWD: Tradition Beats Technology

The Infiniti’s traditional all-wheel drive system also transfers power as smoothly as you would expect from such a system. While cornering, the RLX Sport Hybrid’s rear electric motors create a sensation of resistance that isn’t inexcusably jarring, but it’s noticeable and unpleasant. It seems as if Acura’s new hybrid all-wheel drive system needs work before it can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with traditional mechanical systems.

But that’s really the only part of the powertrain that stands out in a negative way. Acceleration is smooth, quiet and relatively efficient for a sedan that weighs 4,354 lbs.

Steering is lighter in the Acura than the Infiniti, but not to a fault. The RLX cabin is neatly assembled with high quality materials that feel appropriately in context save the touch screen. Its menus are confusing at times and can be more difficult to navigate than what you will find in the Infiniti.

And that isn’t the only place where the Q70L’s interior has an edge because the front seats and armrests are also more ergonomic in the Infiniti.

PHP Code:
2015 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid vs Infiniti Q70L

Compare Specs

2015 Infiniti Q70L

2015 Infiniti Q70L
    vs     
2015 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid

2015 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Vehicle     2015 Infiniti Q70L     Advantage     2015 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Engine     5.6
-liter V8     –     3.5-liter V63 electric motors
Transmission     seven
-speed automatic     RLX Sport Hybrid     seven-speed dual-clutch automatic
Horsepower     416     Q70L     377
Torque     414 lb
-ft     Q70L     341 lb-ft
Wheelbase     120.1 inches     –     112.2 inches
Length     202 inches     –     196.1 inches
Curb weight     4
,345 lbs     Q70L     4,354 lbs
Front seat headroom     39.1 inches     Q70L     37.6 inches
Front seat legroom     44.4 inches     Q70L     42.3 inches
Rear seat headroom     37.7 inches     Q70L     36.9 inches
Rear seat legroom     41.8 inches     –     38.8 inches
Cargo capacity     14.9 cubic feet     Q70L     12 cubic feet
Starting price 
(US)     $67,995     RLX Sport Hybrid     $60,845
As-tested price (US)     $67,995     RLX Sport Hybrid     $66,845
Observed fuel economy 
(US)     13 MPG     RLX Sport Hybrid     22.4 MPG
Starting price 
(CDN)     $70,395     Q70L     $72,119
As-tested price (CDN)     $70,395     Q70L     $72,119
Observed fuel economy 
(CDN)     18 l/100 KM     RLX Sport Hybrid     10.5 l/100 KM 

Value Proposition

Infiniti would have the fight sewn up without breaking a sweat if that were the whole story, but as usual there’s more.

We borrowed an RLX Sport Hybrid loaded with the “Advance Package” that includes adaptive cruise control, a lane keeping assistance system, heated front and rear seats, cooled front seats and a 14-speaker premium audio system to name a few. That package brings the price to $66,845 including delivery. The Infiniti Q70L comes with most of those upgrades except for the safety systems like adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping assistance provided you buy the V8. So equipped, it runs $67,955. The same safety technology is still available, but it calls for the $7,200 “Deluxe Technology Package” which slingshots the price to $75,155.

Suddenly, the RLX doesn’t seem so bad after all. Sure the ride is rougher, but in exchange you get fuel efficiency akin to a much smaller and less powerful vehicle. The Infiniti’s interior design is more grandiose, but you’ll wind up spending roughly $8,000 more on it to enjoy the same convenience features as you would in the RLX.

The Verdict:

Even if the RLX doesn’t have the same premium feeling as the Q70, we would recommend it based on fuel economy and value for the money. After all, that’s what buying a luxury sedan from Honda or Nissan is all about. Isn’t it?

2015 Infiniti Q70L AWD
LOVE IT
Smooth acceleration
Comfortable ride
Loads of interior room
V8 power
LEAVE IT
High price
Bad gas mileage

2015 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
LOVE IT
Good mileage
Relative bargain
Powerful enough
Fantastic transmission
LEAVE IT
Relatively rough ride
Quirky electric rear wheel power
Annoying touchscreen interface

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
neuronbob (05-12-2015), wstr75 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
^^^ "2015" Sport Hybrid? I think not.

And "While cornering, the RLX Sport Hybrid’s rear electric motors create a sensation of resistance that isn’t inexcusably jarring, but it’s noticeable and unpleasant." Was this person driving a pre-release 2014?
Old 05-13-2015, 09:07 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by fsmith
^^^ "2015" Sport Hybrid? I think not.
Canadians at AutoGuide?

Was this person driving a pre-release 2014?
It's probably the same old problem that reviewers have. Not enough time with the vehicle to realize its strengths, not enough time to get used to how to drive it, and preconceived notions and weaknesses on the reviewer's part.

I don't like driving a Porsche PDK. It's just a personal preference, and I don't drive them on the track to realize that they're better on the track than they are in a daily commute.

But if I put down on paper what I thought about my personal opinion of daily driving a Porsche PDK, I could probably do some serious damage to the brand.

:-)
Old 05-13-2015, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
It's subjective, obviously, but does anyone else think the Infiniti looks dated inside and out compared to the SH RLX?
Old 05-15-2015, 06:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Are these car reviewers from Mars? My friend who I drove from his office to his home yesterday as his BMW was in the shop AGAIN, immediately commented with compliments abundant without asking for his opinions. He said that the power delivery even in eco mode and just the normal navigation of traffic was immediately apparent that the electric delivery and seamless transmission shifts while in near silence was fantastic. I did not say anything about the car at all until he started asking about it. Once I told him how special it is he said the famous words "so how quick is it"? With that, a 50% application of the throttle and he immediately said WOW! He then asked "was that full throttle"? I was silent and deftly put it in Sport mode, brake hold and M1 from the next light. It turned green, we were pushed back into our seats, 70 mph was clipped before we finished crossing the large intersection, and he was 17 again. Kind of a time warp thing for us older guys. We only talked about the car for the rest of our time together before I dropped him off. He is looking for one today for himself.

These reviews of the RLX-SH that are not glowing seem bizarre to me. And what is with the 341 ft/lbs torque rating? That is wrong big time!
The following users liked this post:
fsmith (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 07:53 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Are these car reviewers from Mars?
Venus, more likely.

If you get my drift.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Grandpa

The problem with all reviewers, as I've complained before, is that they don't have any real time to spend with a car, and never get to really know it.

They spend too much time telling us about things that are obvious to them on first experience, and don't ever get any real idea of what it's like to live with a vehicle.

Part of this is the fault of manufacturers who do not spend much time with indoctrinating small time reviewers.

An exception to the general rule is a guy named Alex Dykes, who does "Alex on Autos" on YouTube.

But, then, you have the other problem when it comes to Alex: He gets very long winded and his reviews tend to be 30-minutes long, on a single vehicle.

If you're actually shopping for a vehicle, he's a good reviewer to go and find.

But even he gets it wrong sometimes.

He got his hands on an Acura RLX Advance in 2013, and basically slammed the infotainment system's two screen setup as confusing and less than useful.

By the time he got his hands on the Sport Hybrid preproduction car, he'd decided it was better than he thought.

And now that he's got his hands on the later cars like the TLX V6 Advance, he's decided it's really pretty good after all.

But anybody who only saw his first review of the RLX in 2013 is going to remember his famous words, "not fully baked" [sic].

<--I seem to be going through life like this, recently.
hondamore (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

When I was at the dealer for my battery issue that wasn't, again all is perfect now and have no issues, other than needing my fix for a daily drive of the machine, I told my salesman that when they get a 16SH, if it is silver/ebony, I want it if I don't get the 14SH from the dealer in Michigan first. He said that regardless of what I do, when he gets one and I don't buy it, he will call me and ask me to speak to any customer who is interested in it. I told him I will sell it for him and he will keep the commission. Just as fsmith has a great relationship with his dealer in Boston, I have the same with mine. They offered to install the mud guards at no cost just for my loyalty. I will get over there sometime soon for them to put them on. I might do the side moldings too.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by George Knighton
The problem with all reviewers, as I've complained before, is that they don't have any real time to spend with a car, and never get to really know it.

They spend too much time telling us about things that are obvious to them on first experience, and don't ever get any real idea of what it's like to live with a vehicle.

Part of this is the fault of manufacturers who do not spend much time with indoctrinating small time reviewers.

An exception to the general rule is a guy named Alex Dykes, who does "Alex on Autos" on YouTube.

But, then, you have the other problem when it comes to Alex: He gets very long winded and his reviews tend to be 30-minutes long, on a single vehicle.

If you're actually shopping for a vehicle, he's a good reviewer to go and find.

But even he gets it wrong sometimes.

He got his hands on an Acura RLX Advance in 2013, and basically slammed the infotainment system's two screen setup as confusing and less than useful.

By the time he got his hands on the Sport Hybrid preproduction car, he'd decided it was better than he thought.

And now that he's got his hands on the later cars like the TLX V6 Advance, he's decided it's really pretty good after all.

But anybody who only saw his first review of the RLX in 2013 is going to remember his famous words, "not fully baked" [sic].

<--I seem to be going through life like this, recently.
Exactly right. The claims of "buttonitis" were caused by those who did not take the time to learn how logically grouped they were and how easy it was, once learned, to execute a command without having to take your eyes off the road. Now, after Acura reduced the number of buttons no doubt in response, we get complaints that there aren't enough hard buttons.
The following 2 users liked this post by JM2010 SH-AWD:
George Knighton (05-15-2015), hondamore (05-15-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
As an owner of an M56x for the last 4 years (with a 2016 SHAWD RLX on unofficial order), I can say two things about the Q70 that the reviewer missed. First, in normal driving, the 'power' of the vehicle is almost always delayed. It is almost like the vehicle stops to ask "really?", then goes.

But far more important, especially for those in northern climates, is that the vehicle is LOUD. It is noticeable at 50º, disturbing at 30º, and almost unbearable when the temperature drops below 20º. I'm driving 25 MPH in my neighborhood and my car sounds like it is drag-racing. And the engine noise isn't even a pleasant roar...but a sound that others agree is obnoxious and unbecoming a luxury car. I've had it in twice to the dealer and every time they say it is working "fine".

This is why I test drove an RLX in March and specifically asked the rep not to warm up the car -- I was shocked at how quiet the car is and CAN'T WAIT for the 2016s to roll out.

My M56x will make a fine addition to a deaf person's garage.
hondamore (05-24-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by anakin44011
As an owner of an M56x for the last 4 years (with a 2016 SHAWD RLX on unofficial order), I can say two things about the Q70 that the reviewer missed. First, in normal driving, the 'power' of the vehicle is almost always delayed. It is almost like the vehicle stops to ask "really?", then goes.

But far more important, especially for those in northern climates, is that the vehicle is LOUD. It is noticeable at 50º, disturbing at 30º, and almost unbearable when the temperature drops below 20º. I'm driving 25 MPH in my neighborhood and my car sounds like it is drag-racing. And the engine noise isn't even a pleasant roar...but a sound that others agree is obnoxious and unbecoming a luxury car. I've had it in twice to the dealer and every time they say it is working "fine".

This is why I test drove an RLX in March and specifically asked the rep not to warm up the car -- I was shocked at how quiet the car is and CAN'T WAIT for the 2016s to roll out.

My M56x will make a fine addition to a deaf person's garage.
You are getting the Sport Hybrid right? If not you will be blown away with the difference between the decaf RLX and the caffeinated Sport Hybrid. Apples and oranges.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:05 AM
Grandpa

With only 74 HP on the rear wheels, you can sort of have that impression with the RLX Sport Hybrid, too.

If you're in a parking lot or in urban traffic, it is much, much better than a normal hybrid.

But if you're taking off from a traffic light with a bunch of impatient commuters behind you, and if you are *not* in Sport Mode, the short time it takes to go from mild electrics to full power can be, not disconcerting, but just...there and noticeable.

I've got used to the Braille on the Sport Mode button, and just instinctively reach down and turn it on when I know I want it, for whatever of a number of reasons.

:-)
Old 05-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
You are getting the Sport Hybrid right? If not you will be blown away with the difference between the decaf RLX and the caffeinated Sport Hybrid. Apples and oranges.
Yeah -- I'm getting the hybrid. That's why it is on 'unofficial' pre-order. I told the dealership exactly what I want and I'm getting the first one to arrive in Cleveland. But they have yet to be able to place the order, so I'm thinking it might not arrive until July.

This is like buying an Apple Watch -- took years to announce, months to be able to order, and weeks to arrive....but worth the wait.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Yeah -- I'm getting the hybrid. That's why it is on 'unofficial' pre-order. I told the dealership exactly what I want and I'm getting the first one to arrive in Cleveland. But they have yet to be able to place the order, so I'm thinking it might not arrive until July.

This is like buying an Apple Watch -- took years to announce, months to be able to order, and weeks to arrive....but worth the wait.
To each his own, but I sold my Apple Watch on eBay.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:47 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by kurtatx
To each his own, but I sold my Apple Watch on eBay.
According to Consumer Reports testing, the Apple Watch is the best of the breed of smart watches available now, and they liked the stainless steel version the best.

To me they still seem a little too thick even though they are a lot smaller than some of the competition.

I don't see the pressing need for an Apple Watch, since you still have to carry the iPhone for the Apple Watch to work.

Have you wondered why they didn't call it the iWatch?

There's a different device that they're not ready to release yet. It is going to be called the iWatch, and you can find the patents for it.

When they finally release it, it will be a generational leap forward for both watches and smartphones.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Hey Anakin, we need to meet up when you get your Sport Hybrid. Which dealer in Cavstown (I was at the playoff game last night, ), if I am allowed to ask?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

You should start losing sleep now in anticipation. You are going to freaking love the car. If you don't think it is awesome after delivery, check you wrist for a pulse because you might not have one.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:42 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Hey Anakin, we need to meet up when you get your Sport Hybrid. Which dealer in Cavstown (I was at the playoff game last night, ), if I am allowed to ask?
Airport Acura...the owner is an acquaintance of mine.

I was also at the game. I was very fortunate to have my banking relationship manager offer me two tickets--ridiculously good seats just behind the cameras. They probably could have sold the tickets for the GDP of a small country.

The place was absolutely nuts. I wish I could bottle that energy. To steal a line from comedian Dennis Miller, it would "make crack look like Sanka".
neuronbob (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb carpages

You’re forgiven of the name “RLX” flies right over your head. We’ll look the other way if 1 were to drive right by you and you wouldn’t notice whatsoever. That’s because Acura’s RLX, perhaps 1 of the most underrated and painfully neglected cars out there, is styled to look like a toaster.

That’s not exactly fair; it looks much better than a toaster, but its shape isn’t going to keep you tossing and turning at night. That forgettable styling is but 1 of 3 major problems facing this car, the other 2 being a woefully small cargo area in the trunk (blame the hybrid hardware) and terribly wooden brake feel (more on that later.) Other than these faults, the Acura RLX Hybrid is a tremendously enjoyable car to drive.

PROS: Wonderfully innovative hybrid system, intelligent 4-wheel drive, 1 of the quietest cars we’ve ever driven.

CONS: Ho-hum styling, underwhelming trunk capacity, ungainly brake feel.

THE VERDICT: 1 of the best sorted hybrid luxury cars there is, but why couldn’t they have called it “Legend”?

The electrified drivetrain that underpins the RLX is tasked with doling out the most horsepower and torque ever churned out by an Acura product to date- a total of 377 horsepower and 341 lbs/ft. of torque in combined engine/hybrid outputs are ready to be summoned by your right foot. Not surprisingly, this makes for deliciously linear acceleration- you can thank the electric motors seamless augmentation for that, and it’s an addicting sensation that feels much better than forced induction or even a V8. All this snort didn’t add up to an unexpected hit to the wallet at the gas pumps- we achieved 11.3L/100km in mixed driving, pretty darn good for a speedy (and weighty) luxury car. Seeing how well the technology works in the application, we’re already salivating to experience it underpinning Acura’s resurrected supercar, the NSX.

Helping all that oomph get to the tarmac is an extremely complicated 4-wheel drive system coupled to what must be the best example of a dual-clutch gearbox going. Its 7 speeds are selected either with nearly undetectable smoothness or with decisive firmness, depending on what settings (Econ/Normal/Sport) you’ve asked for. Only Porsche’s lauded PDK gearbox would be comparable as an industry benchmark.

Power can be sent to any axle, or any combination of the 2, in a number of different ways. As long as the onboard batteries have enough charge in them, you can pootle around in EV mode- the RLX’s rear motors do their best to keep the engine from firing as they move you about. Push the pedal a bit harder and when the silky V6 fires up, the motors will step up to fill in any gaps in the gas engine’s output. The result is a nice rush to the redline- pull the upshift paddle and the process begins anew. We didn’t get the chance to see how the system helped commuting in snow and ice, but even in the dry it feels reassuringly buttoned down. Fun Fact: the whole system is so smart that it can regenerate electricity when flung into a corner; as the outside wheel spins faster to help the car rotate around the corner, the inside wheel can regenerate power. How cool is that?

When the situation demands a little more restraint, the RLX quietly gathers itself and goes about the task of indulging its driver and passengers. The way the big Acura pours itself down the road is nothing short of remarkable- it has an exquisite ride that manages to never float or wallow, giving off the impression that someone has laid down plush carpeting beneath the tires. The steering has pleasing heft and builds effort nicely from lock to lock but never forgets its luxury car duties, so it lets you know what’s happening with the front wheels but filters out stuff that would otherwise be deemed uncouth. Only the brake pedal sends out any untoward vibes, and you’ll feel what we mean the first time you apply the brakes and your head rockets forward. You will need some time to get used to the way they feel, and to compensate for the weird feeling retuned through the pedal. This could be easily forgiven if wonky brake feel on regenerative brakes were a common thing, but even Toyota manages to coax some degree of normalcy from its binders, so why not on a high-end Acura? With such a technology laden drivetrain, you’d think this would come easily- especially to a company that knows a thing or 2 about engineering prowess.

Speaking of prowess, the audio system that comes standard in the RLX deserves mention simply because it is so incredibly good. We’ve been spoiled in the past by in-car high-end audio before, but the way the Krell unit fitted to the RLX faithfully reproduces your favorite music cleanly and precisely (even satellite radio, too) is astonishing. The fact that everything is so hushed to begin with means the stereo isn’t competing with road and wind noise or anything untoward that would taint the listening experience.

All these redeeming qualities make it hard to focus on the RLX’s flaws. Midsize luxury car buyers always seem to be faced with the same choices on their hands year after year, and frankly some of those choices aren’t worth what their brands are charging for them. The RLX represents a compelling alternative that dishes out vigorous performance, careful efficiency and confidently executed luxury at a price that should be higher, considering the level of kit. This rolling showcase of technology is certainly worth a look.

2015 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid

Price as tested: $69,990
Body Type: 4 door, 5-passenger sedan
Powertrain Layout: Front engine/all-wheel drive
Engine: 3.5 litre V6, DOHC, 24 valves with Front Electric Motor and Rear Twin Motor Unit
Horsepower: 310 @ 6,500 rpm (combined horsepower output: 377 hp)
Torque (lb-ft.): 272 @ 4,500 rpm (combined torque output: 341 lbs/ft.)
Transmission: 7-speed dual-clutch automatic
Curb weight: 1,980 kg (4,365 lbs.)
Observed combined fuel economy: 11.4L/100 km (20 mpg)

neuronbob (05-26-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Safety Car

Talking Edmunds

Edmunds Expert Review of the 2016 Acura RLX Sedan

The 2016 Acura RLX is a pleasant enough luxury sedan, but it doesn't do enough overall to set itself apart from more competitive rivals.
Pros
Abundant standard features, many of them safety-related; excellent crash-test scores; spacious cabin.

Cons
Disconnected steering feel; so-so display screen graphics with distracting interface; front seats get uncomfortable on longer trips.

What's New for 2016

The 2016 Acura RLX stays largely the same as the 2015 model, but it does see the addition of 19-inch wheels as standard equipment, chassis and suspension upgrades for improved ride quality, and expanded availability of the RLX's collection of driver assistance aids and collision mitigation features. There are also a few new safety features: road departure mitigation, rear cross-traffic alert and a 360-degree camera system. Lastly, the RLX's previous base trim level has been discontinued, while the Sport Hybrid variant will arrive later in the model year.

Introduction

Mostly unchanged for 2016, the Acura RLX will likely continue to drive below the radar of most midsize luxury sedan buyers. Honestly, its styling is pretty conservative and, after its debut just a couple years ago (as a replacement for the RL), it still doesn't have much name recognition behind it. But that's not to say the 2016 RLX is without merits.

The big draw here is that for the money, the RLX provides an impressive list of standard features. Even the base trim level (now the RLX with Navigation) comes with features that are normally optional for sedans in this class, such as a navigation system, LED headlights and keyless ignition and entry. And this year the RLX's suite of collision avoidance and driver's aids becomes standard with the Technology and Advance Package trim levels. The addition of these features as standard equipment is notable because the MSRP of the 2016 RLX, across all trim levels, has not increased from the previous year.

Carrying over from the 2015 model is the same, smooth 3.5-liter V6 engine that drives the front wheels through a 6-speed automatic transmission. However, Acura has seen fit to modify the chassis and suspension tuning in an effort to improve ride quality, handling and reduce road noise and vibration levels. Since we weren't too pleased with the overly firm ride on the 2015 model, we're eager to examine the results of these changes in tuning. The RLX also gets a few new safety features this year, including a road departure intervention system and a 360-degree and top-down parking camera system.

Unfortunately, the RLX doesn't do a whole lot else to impress us beyond its feature content. Competitors like the Audi A6 and Lexus GS 350 are more luxurious on the inside while the Hyundai Genesis can outdo the RLX on price. And with the Advance Package pricing, the RLX finds itself in even deeper waters, as the 2 stalwarts of the midsize luxury sedan class, the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and BMW 5 Series, are within reach at that level. Both offer more sophisticated ride and handling as well as an array of gasoline, diesel and all-wheel drive variations. Overall, we think the RLX is worth consideration if value is a priority, but otherwise, it's likely you'll be happier with 1 of the aforementioned rivals.

Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options

The 2016 Acura RLX comes in 3 main trim levels (mostly referred to by Acura as packages): Navigation, Technology Package and the Advance Package, but you'll have to special order the Navigation trim level through the dealer. The 2016 Sport Hybrid will arrive later in the year.

The RLX with Navigation (the lowest trim level) comes well-equipped with 19-inch alloy wheels, LED headlights, a sunroof, keyless ignition and entry, tri-zone automatic climate control, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, leatherette upholstery, 8-way power adjustable front seats (with 4-way power lumbar), heated front seats, driver memory settings and a power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel. The list of standard electronics includes dual displays, a rearview camera, Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity and a 10-speaker ELS sound system with a CD player, HD and satellite radios, a USB/iPod interface, smartphone app integration (with Pandora and Aha Internet radio integration) and an auxiliary audio jack.

Choosing the Technology option package bundles automatic wipers, leather upholstery, adaptive cruise control and a 14-speaker ELS sound system. On top of that the Advance package adds a power rear sunshade, manual rear passenger window shades, remote start, auto-dimming outside mirrors, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, a heated steering wheel, a 360-degree parking camera system and a Krell Premium sound system, also with 14 speakers. Both the Technology and Advance Packages carry as standard, the very comprehensive suite of driver assistance aids known as AcuraWatch (detailed in the safety section below).

Powertrains and Performance

For 2016, the powertrain in the Acura RLX remains unchanged with a 3.5-liter V6 engine putting out 310 horsepower and 272 pound-feet of torque. Front-wheel drive and a 6-speed automatic transmission are standard. The RLX Sport Hybrid will combine this powertrain with a 3-motor hybrid system, complete with electrically powered torque vectoring and Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system. Full information on the Sport Hybrid's powertrain is forthcoming.

In Edmunds testing, a 2015 RLX with the Advance package went from 0 to 60 mph in 6.3 seconds, which is average for a midsize luxury sedan with a base engine. The EPA rates the RLX at 24 mpg combined (20 city/31 highway), which is also average for a 6-cylinder luxury sedan.

Safety

Standard safety systems for the RLX include forward collision warning, lane departure warning, a rearview camera and stability and traction control. Front side, side curtain and a driver knee airbag are also standard on all trim levels.

The Technology and Advance Packages also include forward collision mitigation with automatic braking, lane departure intervention, road departure intervention (similar to lane departure intervention, but it can help prevent the car from leaving a paved surface), blind sport monitoring and rear cross traffic alert. The Advance Package also comes with an additional parking camera system that can simulate a top-down, 360 degree view of the car to aid in tight maneuvering.

In Edmunds testing, the RLX managed a 60-0-mph braking distance of 120 feet, an average, if not slightly underwhelming number for this class.

In government crash tests, the RLX earned a top 5-star rating (out of a possible 5), with 5 stars for total frontal impact safety and 5 stars for total side-impact safety. The RLX similarly excelled in Insurance Institute for Highway Safety tests where it posted a top score of "Good" in all tests including both moderate- and small-overlap frontal-offset collisions plus side impacts, roof strength and seatbelt and head restraint design (for whiplash reduction).

Interior Design and Special Features

From the moment you step inside the cabin of the 2016 Acura RLX, you can't help but notice the spacious feel of the interior. But it's the rear passengers who will be most surprised by the accommodations, as the RLX offers nearly 3 inches more legroom than most other sedans in this class. Though it is perhaps the most adult-friendly rear seat in the category, taller passengers may want a little extra headroom and more toe room under the front seats. And those front seats, while perfectly comfortable for most trips, left us wishing for more support on longer journeys.

The interior does get points for both its array of the latest technology and its ease of use. The available navigation system is a good example of this intuitive operation, allowing you to enter destinations using the large control knob, the 7-inch touchscreen below the 8-inch map display or by voice commands. But there are a couple of negatives here, including graphics that aren't as crisp as those in other luxury models and several basic functions that aren't as instinctive as we'd like.

Out back, the RLX offers a trunk with 15.3 (15.1 with the Krell audio system) cubic-feet of luggage space. As the rear-seat back does not fold down, the center seat pass-through is the only way to carry longer objects.

Driving Impressions

The 2015 Acura RLX's V6 engine is quiet and smooth and pairs well with the 6-speed automatic. It's sufficiently powerful and should suit most buyers just fine, though rival sedans with turbocharged or supercharged 6-cylinders, or even a V8, feel noticeably quicker.

Previously, the RLX didn't ride with the same composure as other sedans in this class. The 19-inch wheels contributed to the harshness felt when driving over rough patches at low speeds, while the ride on the highway could be bouncy. We also found that the big Acura was steady when driving it around turns but not particularly athletic or communicative through its steering feel. With the upcoming round of chassis and suspension modifications for the 2016 model, we're interested to give it another spin and will update this review once we have.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
Wait, I'm confused. They make comments about the steering without having driven the 2016? They say they haven't driven it yet, so are the comments based on the 2015 with a few lines added extra for the new features? Makes no sense.

Meh.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Edmunds does this all the time. The real-world comments are based on the 2015, but they updated the review with the new 2016 specs.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:39 AM
Safety Car

Wink TheCarGuide

During World War II, Japan christened the Yamato, their largest battleship at the time. Displacing 72,200 tonnes, this vessel was the most-advanced of its kind with 181 guns and a top speed of 27 knots. But despite all that, it wasn't enough to help Japan win the war, and it sank in 1945, a few months before Japan surrendered.

The RLX Sport Hybrid is kind of in the same boat (pun intended): it is Acura's largest sedan, the showcase of Honda's technical ingenuity. Under its sleek lines sits most of what the manufacturer has learned about building cars this past century. Price and size-wise, it's a direct competitor to the very-best from Germany and the United States, and yet, not many of them find their way into customer's driveways; it seems that the RLX is not enough to turn the tides of war in Acura's favour.

A flagship fit for battle
Even the entry level RLX is a richly-appointed vehicle: starting at $49,990, it comes with a 310-horsepower V6 turning the front wheels, leather all throughout the cockpit, a power moonroof, the manufacturer's latest infotainment system, 18-inch wheels... But the model that Acura loaned me wasn't the base model: I had the Sport Hybrid variant, which adds a whole other layer of luxury: 19-inch wheels, a dual-clutch 7-speed transmission, a 14-speaker Krell premium sound system and a whole array of driving aids.

But the most interesting piece of technology is found in this RLX's drivetrain. In addition to the aforementioned V6, the sedan boasts 3 electric motors: 1 in the transmission (that can drive the front axle) and 1 in each of its rear wheels. This gives not only 377 combined horsepower to the RLX, but also the benefits of all-wheel drive (although this means that it doesn't enjoy Acura's All-Wheel Steer like other RLX models) and instant torque. At speeds under 85 km/h, the car can even drive on electric power alone; in fact, when the driver applies the throttle lightly when taking off from a stoplight, the car moves silently, powered only by electricity. Add to that enough sonar, radar and camera systems to allow the car to drive itself on the highway and you get pretty much every technology that Honda has available right now. This isn't hyperbole, either: at the touch of a button, the computers fully take over the driving, scanning the road ahead and keeping the car pointed in the middle of the lane, slowing down or even stopping if there is an obstacle in front of you. The experience is eerie and you need to trust that some engineer you never met did their job right, but it works amazingly well.

The rest of the car is also worthy of the flagship term: its fit and finish is flawless, there is rich leather everywhere you touch (and high-quality smooth rubber or thick carpet everywhere else), the insulated windows seal you off from road noises and the suspension absorbs jolts in silence. Styling however, is kind of a hit-or-miss: some people will appreciate its clean, conservative lines - the Jewel Eye headlights were a head-turner - while others will say that the RLX lacks character.

Driving the RLX is a very relaxing experience. There isn't a lot of road feel through the steering and the sedan exhibits a fair amount of body roll and understeer when pushed to the limit, but this isn't how the sedan is meant to be driven. When handled like the luxury barge that it is, the RLX is quiet and comfortable, capable of racking up the miles while its occupants are cradled in comfortable seats and utter silence.

A window to Honda's future
As far as I can tell, Acura didn't intend the RLX Sport Hybrid to be a volume-seller – at $69,990, it's closest competitor would be the Kia K900, the Hyundai Equus and the Lexus GS, none of which are exactly flying off the dealer's lots – but more as a technological tour de force, a display of what they can do (in fact, the Sport Hybrid's electric drivetrain could find its way into Acura's next flagship, the NSX supercar). While it may not win in a direct faceoff against other full-size luxury sedans, the RLX Sport Hybrid could certainly appeal to customers who are looking for anonymity, comfort, and technology in a modern and high-quality package.

Evaluation
Test model
2015 Acura RLX
Trim level
SH - AWD
Price range
$49,990 - $69,990
Price as tested
$69,990
Warranty (basic)
4 years / 80,000 km
Warranty (powertrain)
5 years / 100,000 km
Fuel economy (city/highway/observed)
8 / 7.5 / 8.8 l/100km
Options
N/A
Competitive models
Audi A6, Audi A7, BMW 5 Series, Cadillac CTS, Hyundai Genesis, Infiniti Q70, Jaguar XF, Lexus LS, Lincoln MKS, Mercedes-Benz E Class, Volvo S60
Strong points
Impressive fuel economy
Silent as a stone
Lots of torque from the electric motors
Great build quality
It can drive itself

Weak points
Subdued styling
Some latency in the accelerator pedal
Lots of new, unproven technologies
$70,000 price tag

Editor's rating
Fuel Consumption
It's a luxury sedan with the fuel consumption of a compact car. What's not to like?
Comfort
Acura went all-out with the RLX. Some of the German sedans aren't as comfortable.
Performance
With the instant torque of the electric motors, the Sport Hybrid is decently quick off the line; after that, the V6 takes over and hauls the large sedan with authority.
Infotainment System
Honda's large control knob needs some time to get accustomed to.
Driving Experience
The RLX Sport Hybrid may be large and aimed towards comfort, but if you throw it into a corner, you'll see that it lives up to its Sport moniker.
Overall
The RLX Sport Hybrid won't flaunt your wealth around, but it's incredibly advanced and will give you the feeling of riding in your personal, high-tech cloud.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

The reviewer did not spend enough time with the car to figure out it is one of the best cars he has driven to date. The gas peddle comment is laughable as he did not realize you can adjust it.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

A fair review and honestly, it IS rather like the Yamato. The author agrees with many of us that Acura/Honda obviously do not mean this to be a volume seller. They are depending on our input to determine how to implement this in their volume sellers.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by TSX69
...and the suspension absorbs jolts in silence.
A friend of ours is gritting his teeth right now.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Drifting

"The RLX Sport Hybrid won't flaunt your wealth around"

This is probably the number one reason Acura doesn't sell more RLXs to shoppers in this price range. To me, it's a plus, but to many, it's a deal-stopper. Anyone see that CPO BMW ad on TV where the main selling point is that your neighbors will gawk at you in your new BMW? BMW knows their customers and prospective customers very well. Acura/Honda hold onto the quaint notion that superior engineering and build quality/reliability will win the day. Sad to say, increasingly that seems not to be the case.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:42 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Acura/Honda hold onto the quaint notion that superior engineering and build quality/reliability will win the day.
That's going to matter to people who buy their cars and drive them for five or ten years.

If everybody's leasing in this price bracket, nobody gives a damn.

:-(
Old 06-11-2015, 07:07 AM
Drifting

Right. That's exactly why I continue to buy their products, but to leasers, it matters a lot less.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
A friend of ours is gritting his teeth right now.
I heard that!
Old 06-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs up

Guilty pleasures are part of life – don't even try to pretend like you don't have 1 (or 2, or 6). In the non-automotive space, this could come down to that secret playlist in your iPhone of songs you'll only listen to when you're alone; or think of that 1 TV show you really do love, but won't admit to your friends. I've got plenty, and so do you.

Going back to cars, here's a particularly juicy 1 for me: several years ago, I had a mad crush on the very last iteration of the Cadillac DTS. Oh yes, the front-wheel-drive, Northstar V8-powered sofa-on-wheels that was the last remaining shred of the elderly-swooning days of Cadillac's past. Every time I had the chance to drive 1, I was secretly giddy. Don't hate me, okay?

These days, the DTS is gone, but I've still got a mess of other cars that hold a special place in my heart. And in the spirit of camaraderie, I've asked my other Autoblog editors to tell me some of their guilty pleasure cars, as well – Seyth Miersma, as you can see above, has a few choice emotions to share about the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Read on to find out what cars make us secretly happy.

Acura RLX

Look, Acura should rightly be lambasted for its inability to build a car that's the equal to the Germans, Cadillac and Lexus, but that surely doesn't mean critics have carte blanche to rip on the poor RLX, a vehicle whose offenses exist only in the minds of people who claim they know what Acura "is supposed to be."

In terms of a pure, comfortable, accommodating luxury sedan, the big Acura is excellent. The ride is supple and smooth, while the same can be said of Honda's well-regarded 3.5-liter V6 (I've yet to drive the RLX Sport Hybrid, so I can't really comment on that). Comfy ride aside, the Precision All-Wheel Steer system, aside from having the adorable acronym "PAWS," delivers a surprising degree of agility for a roughly 4,000-pound, front-drive sedan.

But best of all is the cabin. Now I agree, the dual-screen center stack is horribly unintuitive, but the material quality and overall feel of the interior is just fine. And for audiophiles, the 14-speaker Krell stereo is arguably 1 of the best available in a car under $100,000. Yes, I'm including it with the excellent Burmester systems found in cars from Mercedes-Benz and Porsche and the stellar Lexicon unit found in the Hyundai Genesis and Equus.

There are better vehicles out there, but the RLX scores points for me by being a single-minded luxury sedan that's easy to drive and easy to live with. So leave it alone.

Brandon Turkus
Associate Editor
Old 06-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Grandpa

The ride is supple and smooth....
Old 06-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
He must have driven on freshly paved roads the ENTIRE time...

or maybe it was a 2016?....
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
bronx1480 (08-12-2015), sooththetruth (06-24-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Grandpa

I'm just trying to make trouble. :-)
sooththetruth (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 07:49 AM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
the ride was supple and smooth
Good one. holographique was very classy/charming in his response.

Listen, I have to say that the lack of a good impression the RLX gives the critics is likely the same impression new car buyers are getting. The vehicle just doesn't stand out on a 10 minute test drive. (Again, I reference a 15 minute test drive with an experienced Subaru salesman. Subaru doesn't know it, but that salesman was worth his weight in gold. He was able to have me EXPERIENCE every strong point of the vehicle).

It appears that this vehicle is going to appeal to those esoteric buyers that understand the vehicle from a design and functionality viewpoint, and UNLESS YOU GET RYAN GOSLING TO DO AN RLX HYBRID ADVERTISEMENT WITH HIS SHIRT OFF, it seems this car is unlikely to achieve the panache status that makes people buy without any real ability to assess the merits of the car.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Safety Car

Wink EveryDayReviews

The following 5 users liked this post by TSX69:
fsmith (08-02-2015), George Knighton (08-02-2015), neuronbob (08-03-2015), pgeorg (08-02-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-02-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Jeff at TOV likes (so far) the 2016 Sport Hybrid. His post there suggests perhaps a fuller review soon. In the thread is a video of a 0-60 sprint, which he subsequently timed at 5.3 seconds. Of course, our folks here got 4.9 but that's OK.

RLX Sport Hybrid is underrated

Thanks, Jeff!
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
Malibu Flyer (08-06-2015), TSX69 (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by neuronbob
In the thread is a video of a 0-60 sprint, which he subsequently timed at 5.3 seconds.
5.35 is what Alex Dykes got.

Those times sound reasonable, but I'm not a drag racer. :-)
Old 08-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
5.35 is what Alex Dykes got.

Those times sound reasonable, but I'm not a drag racer. :-)
Neither is anyone else who drives the Sport Hybrid......we are just wannabes.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)