Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Something that might disturb an older driver in an RLX PAWS car is the very slight but perceivable hesitation of the car as it decides in a carousel that you really mean to be turning, and that the car is not in the middle of an emergency and has to help you straighten out.

It's only ⅛ second or so...but it is perceivable to humans and it is ultimately limiting in a carousel situation.

But having said that, I have also tested an A6, just a couple of weeks ago, and for whatever one dumb old man's opinion is worth the A6 is worse than the RLX PAWS car, never mind the RLX AWD car!

:-)

Yes, but it's German, and everyone knows Acura can't compete with the Germans. LOL.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:21 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts

But having said that, I have also tested an A6, just a couple of weeks ago, and for whatever one dumb old man's opinion is worth the A6 is worse than the RLX PAWS car, never mind the RLX AWD car!

Which A6 did you test ?

The 3.0-TFSI Quattro A6 with the 8-speed auto box, can be ordered with "sport suspension" and 19"/20" tires from the factory; and there is no way that this Quattro A6 will have worse handling performance than a FWD RLX.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
3.0 8 speed, but I am not sure if it had the sport suspension. I was surprised they sent me out by myself, never having seen me before, to be honest.

Quattro without the sport differential is no longer about handling, but that's just IMHO.

If your 4G TL is a 6-6, I'd go up against an A6 at Summit Point or any other mainstream road course, I think.

That's entirely supposition on my part, and I'm just one stupid old man who might not know what he's talking about.

Is there a way to order the sport differential on an A6 any longer?

I think that people are kind of scared of the PAWS RLX. Once you know to trust the car, it does well. That is within the logical limits of adhesion of front wheel drive, of course. If you get wild, then there's nothing to be done to help you. It's awesome having the car's nose point where you want it, as easily as you can do it.

But your inclination is say that there are logical limits to what you can do with a big 3900# car like the RLX is pretty much spot on.

It's better than people think that it is, better enough that I might keep my car.

But don't worry...I'm keeping my perspective. I'm not claiming that it's God's Only Total Answer.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Grandpa

I'll add that I have already noticed that there are things that I could do comfortably with my TL 6-6 AWD that the RLX cannot manage without losing its composure.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:22 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 843 Likes on 525 Posts
It's always going to be a problem for designers that Honda has an internal set of safety standards the efficacy of which nobody really understands.

It's one of the reasons why you don't see pillar less coupes, and it's also the main reason why Honda's smallest cars had to get away from the kinds of front suspensions that people used to love in old Civics, Integras, and other cars.

The extra metal and space that is available after the switch to McPherson can be devoted to a differently designed front crush zone.

That odd internal safety mentality also had to do with why the 4G TL arrived with such a high nose. They were a couple of years ahead of a safety standard that most other companies took their time with.
THat's a good point. I never really thought about that.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow LA Times

Consider it Acura’s flagship flagship.

Next spring, Honda’s luxury division will put on sale the pinnacle of the brand’s lineup, the RLX Sport Hybrid AWD. As the name implies, this zestier version of Acura’s largish-midsize car adds both all-wheel drive and a hybrid drivetrain to the tepid RLX we tested in May.

This new model accomplishes 2 crucial things for Acura.

It gives the brand an all-wheel-drive sedan to offer customers in snowy climes where Audi’s Quattro and Mercedes-Benz’ 4Matic systems are popular among luxury buyers. And the added power of the hybrid system allows Acura to compete against V-8 models from competitors such as BMW, Infiniti and the aforementioned Audi and Mercedes duo.

Fortunately for Acura fans, this version is more compelling than the base RLX. That model was an underwhelming wannabe, a front-wheel-drive model swimming in a pool of rear-wheel-drive overachievers. Though not a bad car by any means, it just didn’t give potential buyers any meaningful reason to choose it over its peers.

This new RLX AWD Hybrid does, though it shouldn’t be confused with a sport sedan. It combines appreciable power and decent handling with impressive fuel economy.

Power on this model comes from three sources.

The 1st is a 3.5-liter, direct-injected V-6 that makes 310 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque. It pushes its power to the front wheels via an all-new, smooth-shifting 7-speed dual-clutch transmission.

Hidden within that gearbox is the car’s 2nd power source, a small 35-kilowatt electric motor that also feeds power and regenerative braking from the front wheels.

Meanwhile, at the back are 2 more electric motors feeding power to the rear wheels. A neat trick is that each of these 36-horsepower rear motors operate independently of one another. For example, in a curve this RLX can simultaneously regenerate power on the inside wheel, while powering the outside wheel.

This clever torque-vectoring system gives the RLX hybrid a much more neutral feel than the base model. It now moves through turns without pushing the front of the car like some wayward elephant. The electric motors kick in seamlessly; you’d be hard pressed to know where the car’s power is coming from without using the display screen on the dashboard.

A byproduct of this system is that the car had a slight tendency to snap around mid-corner faster than you’d expect, which took a little getting used to. That being said, few RLX drivers will actually push it hard enough to find this a common problem.

All these power sources add up to a robust 377 horsepower and 377 pound-feet of torque.

Though those numbers seem like a lot on paper, it was rare that the car felt like it had this much to use. It certainly has more than enough gusto in a straight line from a dead stop, but it doesn’t surge out of corners like you’d expect.

The new dual-clutch gearbox responsible for doling out this power is a good 1. Its shifts are precise and smooth, and a huge performance leap over the continuously variable gearbox that Lexus uses in the GS Hybrid. The RLX’s transmission is controlled via slick new push-button setup on the center console, as well as steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters.

The gearbox, and the car as a whole, also have a sport mode. This setting sharpens the car’s throttle input, and alters the point at which the car uses regenerative braking and power from electric motors.

The steering resistance doesn’t change when you put the RLX into sport mode, which runs counter to the setup in many cars on the road today. This left the steering conspicuously light during spirited driving, and not in a good way. More feedback and communication from the road would have gone a long way toward this car’s handling abilities.

All of this is packaged together in a car that manages impressive fuel economy. City mileage jumps to 28 mpg from 20 in the base RLX. Meanwhile, your highway number climbs by one to 32.

Acura will announce pricing details closer to the car’s on-sale date, but the automaker did say the base RLX Sport Hybrid would start at around $60,000. The loaded model we tested will go for around $65,000.

When it does, it should give dealers a true flagship car to lure away shoppers interested in cars such as the Lexus GS. The RLX Sport Hybrid rights many of the wrongs we saw in the base model RLX. It’s a compelling example of how to use cutting-edge tech to wring practical efficiency and handling out of a luxury sedan.

The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Fortunately for Acura fans, this version is more compelling than the base RLX. That model was an underwhelming wannabe, a front-wheel-drive model swimming in a pool of rear-wheel-drive overachievers. Though not a bad car by any means, it just didn’t give potential buyers any meaningful reason to choose it over its peers.
This author groks the current state of the RLX well.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

Consider it Acura’s flagship flagship.

Next spring, Honda’s luxury division will put on sale the pinnacle of the brand’s lineup, the RLX Sport Hybrid AWD. As the name implies, this zestier version of Acura’s largish-midsize car adds both all-wheel drive and a hybrid drivetrain to the tepid RLX we tested in May.

This new model accomplishes 2 crucial things for Acura.

It gives the brand an all-wheel-drive sedan to offer customers in snowy climes where Audi’s Quattro and Mercedes-Benz’ 4Matic systems are popular among luxury buyers. And the added power of the hybrid system allows Acura to compete against V-8 models from competitors such as BMW, Infiniti and the aforementioned Audi and Mercedes duo.

This new RLX AWD Hybrid does, though it shouldn’t be confused with a sport sedan. It combines appreciable power and decent handling with impressive fuel economy.

Power on this model comes from three sources.

The 1st is a 3.5-liter, direct-injected V-6 that makes 310 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque. It pushes its power to the front wheels via an all-new, smooth-shifting 7-speed dual-clutch transmission.

Hidden within that gearbox is the car’s 2nd power source, a small 35-kilowatt electric motor that also feeds power and regenerative braking from the front wheels.

Meanwhile, at the back are 2 more electric motors feeding power to the rear wheels. A neat trick is that each of these 36-horsepower rear motors operate independently of one another. For example, in a curve this RLX can simultaneously regenerate power on the inside wheel, while powering the outside wheel.

This clever torque-vectoring system gives the RLX hybrid a much more neutral feel than the base model. It now moves through turns without pushing the front of the car like some wayward elephant. The electric motors kick in seamlessly; you’d be hard pressed to know where the car’s power is coming from without using the display screen on the dashboard.

A byproduct of this system is that the car had a slight tendency to snap around mid-corner faster than you’d expect, which took a little getting used to. That being said, few RLX drivers will actually push it hard enough to find this a common problem.

All these power sources add up to a robust 377 horsepower and 377 pound-feet of torque.

Though those numbers seem like a lot on paper, it was rare that the car felt like it had this much to use. It certainly has more than enough gusto in a straight line from a dead stop, but it doesn’t surge out of corners like you’d expect.

The new dual-clutch gearbox responsible for doling out this power is a good 1. Its shifts are precise and smooth, and a huge performance leap over the continuously variable gearbox that Lexus uses in the GS Hybrid. The RLX’s transmission is controlled via slick new push-button setup on the center console, as well as steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters.

The gearbox, and the car as a whole, also have a sport mode. This setting sharpens the car’s throttle input, and alters the point at which the car uses regenerative braking and power from electric motors.

The steering resistance doesn’t change when you put the RLX into sport mode, which runs counter to the setup in many cars on the road today. This left the steering conspicuously light during spirited driving, and not in a good way. More feedback and communication from the road would have gone a long way toward this car’s handling abilities.

All of this is packaged together in a car that manages impressive fuel economy. City mileage jumps to 28 mpg from 20 in the base RLX. Meanwhile, your highway number climbs by one to 32.

Acura will announce pricing details closer to the car’s on-sale date, but the automaker did say the base RLX Sport Hybrid would start at around $60,000. The loaded model we tested will go for around $65,000.

When it does, it should give dealers a true flagship car to lure away shoppers interested in cars such as the Lexus GS. The RLX Sport Hybrid rights many of the wrongs we saw in the base model RLX. It’s a compelling example of how to use cutting-edge tech to wring practical efficiency and handling out of a luxury sedan.

Very favorable review! Nice to read one. Also, if a loaded AWD version in fact has an MSRP of $65k, that's a good number. Just a bit higher than the GS 350 Hybrid and 10-15K less than a comparably equipped E-350, 5 Series and A6.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by acuralvr1
Just a bit higher than the GS 350 Hybrid and 10-15K less than a comparably equipped E-350, 5 Series and A6.
There are things that someone shopping for an E350 4 Matic will not like about the RLX Hybrid.

I get the impression the RLX Hybrid was designed by people who were less interested in pulling shoppers away from Mercedes and BMW, and more interested in keeping current Honda drivers interested in progressing with the brand.

If that makes sense.

For one thing, there continues to be every indication that supply will come nowhere near meeting demand, with the first year's production being as low as the Type R production numbers were...and for similar reasons related to how assembly is undertaken at more than one location. You can order that E350 or 535i whenever you want one, but Honda is going to be telling you when you can get an RLX Hybrid, I think.

Here's something that threw me for a loop: I assumed that because there was such a big tunnel in the floor of the rear of the RLX that the hybrid would have a propeller shaft like the RL and TL. But it does not.

None of the J35 motor's power goes to the rear wheels. The only power to the rear wheels comes from the two electric motors, so let's say 50 HP out of 377 HP, and that might be generous.

You don't get the same feeling in a hard corner with the RLX Hybrid that you would get out of a TL 6-6 SH-AWD, assuming the TL is on the cam. In a drag race the TL would put almost all of its power to the rear, and the RLX doesn't do anything like that.

I didn't have a stopwatch on it, but my feeling is that the RLX Hybrid is nowhere near the 4.0s to 60 that people were hoping for. It's faster than the RLX PAWS, but in a straight line not as much as you might hope. Maybe my perceptions are off, but I think it's only like ½ s quicker than the PAWS car.

In a corner...yes, it's appreciably faster but if you are a Honda fan you are going to be disappointed that you're not going to be setting track records. It doesn't feel like SH-AWD driven all-out. It's different.

The RLX Hybrid is a huge, huge step forward. There's no doubt about that; especially for the sticker price it's an amazing buy.

But I think that it's possible that us Honda fans might have been hoping for more.

I love the transmission. Audi and VW are going to be jealous. It's amazing. But the reverse hesitation made it into the training car that I drove. I'm afraid that it might cause some parking lot problems in metro areas if you put it into gear and it takes ½ s to go. Other than that, the transmission is amazing.

Brakes...not sure about that. My impression is that the car takes that nagging very short but perceivable to humans ⅛ s to decide what to do with the brake force, and that leaves an aggressive driver disconcerted. Perhaps it is something you get used to as you drive the car more.

HUD: Amazing feature. I wish they'd made that part of the Advance package in the FWD cars!

I only got 28 mpg but I was not exactly babying the car. Nobody's going to be driving that car home...it's training vehicle, so I wasn't ruining anybody's vehicle. :-)

I'm thinking about it. I'd lose a lot of money, even at the maximum discount allowable. But I'm thinking about it. I think that it is possible for an old man entering his Buick Years, the PAWS car that I have might be the very best compromise, despite 15 years on the track with Honda.

- (signed) Somebody who's been lucky to be on the friendly user list for a long long time.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
^^^
George,
I'm assuming you had a chance to drive the RLX Hybrid?
Old 12-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
This. Do tell, George.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by 2011TL
^^^
George,
I'm assuming you had a chance to drive the RLX Hybrid?
Yes. And I will again, middle of January.

But...I'm thinking what I've got is what I really want and need.

I really thought it'd be quicker than it was. It's hard to get all 377 HP onto the ground at once, and with very little power on the rear wheels it's still relying on 310 HP on the front wheels.

The torque vectoring adds another dimension, that's for sure. My criticism of my RLX in a carousel situation might be substantially mitigated by having the Hybrid RLX in the same carousel, but I cannot imagine American Honda or any dealer allowing me to drive out to West Virginia to try it.

But at the same time, admitting that the torque vectoring adds another dimension, it's hard to escape the anecdotal and subjective impression that my TL 6-6 SH-AWD did a little better job putting the power down.

With both the front drive and all drive RLX, "Agile Handling Assist" might be named "Aggressive Handling Assist" for all the good it does. I haven't seen any reviewer with the possible exception of Jeff Palmer drive the car in a way that would lead me to believe that they were using AHA.

So once again we've built a Honda for people who already know to trust Honda, and we're going to have a hard time getting across to the general public that this is a much nicer car than they think that it is.

The more that I've had to live with the interior, the more I've appreciated it, too. People don't talk about that enough. On a long trip it's so easy and safe to make slight stress relieving changes to your driving position. The transition on the dashboard from soft plastic to leather to hard plastic is done very well, and all the leather's sewn together very nicely.

This is a very complicated car. Multidimensional.

Last edited by George Knighton; 12-28-2013 at 09:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
2011TL (12-28-2013), wstr75 (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks, George. That is helpful.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:05 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs up Wall St

Like the Cadillac ELR, the new Acura (NYSE:HMC) is aimed more at buyers looking for a car with greater efficiency but is still wrapped in leather and pampers its occupants. It’s Acura’s latest entry to the large sedan market, and one of the few — if not the only — models not offering a V8. Instead, buyers can choose Acura’s clever torque-vectoring 3-motor hybrid system, with gets nearly 400 horsepower and is built around a V6. It offers 30 miles per gallon combined, which isn’t spectacular in a hybrid context but is still impressive for a sedan of its stature.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
one of the cars on their top 10 list is a KIA, they cannot be taken seriously.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Boston

“Sport” and “hybrid” are terms that many consider to be incongruous. We often expect the hybrid version of a vehicle to be the more staid, conservative choice based on its inherent emphasis on efficiency. But as we learned carving up the coastal roads north of San Francisco, the 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid plays the role of the brand’s flagship sedan, employing an advanced all-wheel-drive system that promotes efficiency and capable handling.

The RLX is Acura’s largest sedan; it replaces the staid and aging RL, which ended production in 2012. Though branded as the “flagship sedan,” it sits somewhere between the mid-range 5-Series/A6/E-Class set and true flagship cars like the 7 Series, A8, and S-Class. The common thread among all of these vehicles is their emphasis on dramatic styling and responsive handling.

The RLX initially debuted with a V6 making 310 horsepower, and a novel 4-wheel steering system. The RLX Sport Hybrid we tested is the 2nd act in the vehicle’s rollout, and slots in above the V6 model, representing the top of the RLX range. According to Acura, the RLX Sport Hybrid has the performance and handling to stand in for what would have once been the V8-equipped flagship sedan.

The equation starts with a modified version of Acura’s 3.5-liter V6. It features direct injection and cylinder deactivation, and is connected to a 7-speed, dual clutch gearbox. After that, the hybrid setup gets a little complicated, so follow closely.

The RLX has 3 electric motors. 1 at the front that works with the gas engine, and 2 motors that power the rear wheels individually. The front wheels can be powered by either the conventional gas engine, or the front electric system, or both, or neither.

The combination of front and rear drive systems makes up Acura’s Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive, or SH-AWD. The genius of this system is something called torque vectoring. In essence, torque vectoring is the ability to distribute power individually between left or right wheels. It can push the outside rear wheel of the RLX harder than the inside wheel in a turn, allowing it to make the corner with more precision and confidence.

At peak acceleration, the 3 electric motors and gas engine combine for 377 horsepower and 377 pound feet of torque. Fuel economy for the RLX Sport Hybrid is 28 mpg city, 31 highway. For reference, the non-hybrid RLX achieves 21 city, 30 highway. While the Sport Hybrid does not offer significant gains in fuel economy, when you consider the performance advantages of the RLX Hybrid, the numbers gain context.

When you accelerate the RLX Hybrid, power is sent to all 4 wheels. When cruising, the front wheels will pull the vehicle, and switch between gas and electric power. If coasting or braking, the system is set up to employ regenerative braking, storing power in the lithium-ion battery pack.

The RLX also has a force feedback accelerator that is supposedly meant to make the driver feel 1 with the car. As you depress the pedal in hard acceleration, the pedal pushes back, which is claimed to add to the driving experience. Given the light steering feel and ability for automakers to fine tune electric steering systems, the steering wheel should have received more attention from Acura than the pedal.

As we carved through the windy roads of Sausalito, the RLX felt quite composed. Not as locked down as a BMW 5 Series, perhaps, but far more so than the old RL.

Pulling off along the northern shores of Tomales Bay, we stopped to appreciate the cabin. The 2014 RLX finally dispenses with the plethora buttons in the RL, but in its place is a control system that is arguably just as complicated. It is a dual screen, center console system, with a dynamic lower touch screen. If you select Navigation, nav controls come up on the lower screen, and the same if you select the stereo. Sound system presets remain there in many different modes. It has the potential to be very useful but is not as intuitive as it could be.

Strangely, the graphics are dated, even though the quality of the digital screens has greatly improved. On the plus side, the navigation system is simple for address input, and the direction delivery should not confuse anyone.

While the interior lacks some ergonomics in the menus, the RLX Sport Hybrid makes up for it with an outstanding interior fit and finish. Interior accent panels flow towards the center console, which is bolstered by soft-touch material. The seats are supremely comfortable and the rear seats offer plenty of legroom.

The tradeoff in added fuel economy and performance is the reduction in trunk space due to the battery pack. It takes up the room that would have been provided for a large travel bag. The space will hold 2 large golf bags and is large enough for a weekend road trip’s worth of bags, but is not the size that large-sedan buyers expect.

Pricing for the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid has not yet been announced, but the market for mid-range luxury hybrids runs from $55,000 to $60,000. Acura argues that the RLX also competes with the full-size lux sedan set, which starts in the low- to mid-$60,000 range. When the RLX Sport Hybrid goes on sale in Spring of 2014, look for a starting price between $58,000 and $63,000.

Acura is targeting the German luxury market with the RLX Sport Hybrid, but it more realistically competes with the Lexus GS 450 hybrid. Neither the GS hybrid nor the RLX Sport Hybrid are true performance vehicles, but the RLX will do more than get out of its own way. The RLX Sport Hybrid will not turn your knuckles white but will deliver a composed ride and swift acceleration in a large luxury sedan that offers plenty of interior space and advanced tech features.
2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid

THE BASICS

Price: TBA. As tested: TBA. Fuel economy, EPA estimated: 28/31. Fuel economy, Globe observed: 28.8 mpg. Drivetrain: 3.5L V6 hybrid, 7-speed dual clutch transmission, adaptive front/rear/all-wheel-drive. Body: Full-size 4-door sedan.

THE SPECIFICS

Horsepower: 377. Overall length: 196.1 in. Wheelbase 112.3 in. Height: 57.7 in. Width: 74.4 in. Curb weight: 4,312 lbs.

THE GOOD

Sharp interior, full-size space, latest infotainment technology.

THE BAD

Steering too light to be “Sport,” battery pack halves trunk space.

THE BOTTOM LINE

Hard to call it a true flagship, but it is a competent, efficient, luxury sedan.

ALSO CONSIDER

Lexus GS 450H, Infiniti Q50H.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Grandpa

Interesting. I thought the pedal push back was to keep the driver wasting fuel with small, incremental changes in position.

You sort of push a bit and the car pushes back... "Really? One mph? Are you sure?"
Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Grandpa

On the plus side, the navigation system is simple for address input, and the direction delivery should not confuse anyone.
Yeah. That reviewer needs to communicate his real world findings to any number of other reviewers who don't seem to have the IQ to appreciate how easy it really is.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:27 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb TheReporter

Earlier this year, Acura introduced its new 2014 RLX flagship with P-AWS (Precision All-Wheel Steering), powered by a 3.5-liter V-6 that produced 310 horsepower and 273 foot-pounds of torque that metered the driving force to the driving wheels through a 6-speed automatic transmission. Now, there's a new 2014 model RLX -- the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid that introduces an innovative and unique powertrain concept with a total of 3 electric motors.

This latest iteration RLX will employ the same 3.5-liter V-6, while adding a motor-integrated 7-speed Dual Clutch transmission with a built-in 35- kilowatt (47 hp) electric motor with sequential SportShift paddle shifters, Automatic Drive Mode, Grade Logic and Shift Hold Control, with an all-new fully electronic Electronic Gear Selector, shift-by-wire gear selector. Park, Neutral and Drive are selected with the push of a button. Reverse is selected by pulling back a dedicated switch. Indicator lights near the buttons indicate the mode selected, with Sport and Normal modes available.

In addition, the transversely mounted front engine Super Handling-All Wheel Drive, 5-passenger luxury performance sedan with Torque Vectoring eliminates a conventional drive shaft and rear differential, replacing them with twin 27-kilowatt (36 hp) electric motors that independently drive the left and right rear wheels. Each motor can also capture regenerative braking energy and apply negative (regenerative braking) torque to further enhance cornering capability. Total combined horsepower and torque ratings are each 377.

The 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD focuses on the synergy between man and machine, delivering the performance equivalent of a V-8, but the combined fuel economy efficiency of a 4-cylinder engine, while providing exhilarating and precise handling attributes. This synergy is indicative of "Takaburi" (exhilarating) and "Inomama" (at the will of the driver). When compared to its competitors, the new RLX is longer and wider than the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Lexus GS series, and Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

In terms of its visual appeal, the 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD blends a sleek overall shape, an "aero-fused" cabin silhouette, and close tolerances for the wheel wells and body-panel gaps for heightened elegance and aerodynamics. The styling begins with a dynamic front-end featuring the RLX's signature Jewel Eye LED headlights, a substantial presence that imparts a look of power and confidence, while also proving highly aerodynamically efficient, providing powerful down the road illumination and even encompassing advanced pedestrian safety features. Decisive character lines begin alongside the hood, sweeping over the front wheel arches, then along the body sides, which feature lines that subtly rise along the lower body sides, changing the light reflections and creating a visual signature for the RLX.

The cabin is wide and aerodynamic, allowing for a roomy interior and a quiet ride quality as air slips smoothly over the cabin's flush-mounted available acoustic glass and other drag- and turbulence-reducing design details. Wheel-arches use a much smaller gap to the tire than on the RL, resulting in a poised, integrated and finished look for the profile.

The rear of the RLX body is also dynamic, where the cabin is noticeably wider than that of either the outgoing RL, as well as primary competitors, lending a look of solidity. The wider overall width and wider track is also significantly enhanced compared to the last RL model.

My test 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD was a pre-production vehicle in the highest Advance trim. There's also a lower priced Tech model available. Official pricing had yet to be announced at the time of this writing, but the models should fall into the following range -- Tech trim -- $55,000, and Advance Trim -- $65,000. My test Advance trim RLX Sport Hybrid sported and exterior finished in Crystal Black Pearl, with the interior executed in Greystone Milano leather.

The Advance Package adds the following to the very well equipped Tech Package: Krell ultra-premium audio system (14-speaker); expanded rear door sunshade; a power-operated rear window sunshade; Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow; Lane Keeping Assist System; parking sensors (2 front/4 rear); ventilated front seats; heated rear seats; front seatbelt E-Pretensioners; a rear seat foot light; and an auto-dimming side mirror. There also a variety of Acura Genuine accessories available to further enhance and personalize the RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD.

SUMMARY: Acura had portrayed the 2014 RLX P-AWS version as the epitome of Smart Luxury, but the term seemed to lack substance and didn't really reflect the car's true intended image in my opinion. Essentially, it is a spirited, luxury sedan that performs well, is comfortable, and given the content of the Advance model, certainly justifies the price tag, which is lower than some competitive luxury sedans. Driving the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid defines its place in the segment, with a much higher level of emotional response in terms of its performance. It is an attractive vehicle, but its flagship status would benefit from a greater styling differentiation, setting it apart from its stablemates. Never the less, the Sport Hybrid is so well outfitted and performs so well, it belongs on the list of anyone shopping for an impressive luxury performance sedan.

Acceleration is stellar, handling is superb and the fit and finish top-notch. The seats are highly supportive and comfortable, and the ride quality is firm, but compliant, and the electrically assisted 7-speed DCT transmission is amazing, performing gear changes perfectly and smoothly, with downshift rev-matching that proved to be superior to the ability of most drivers. Shifting was spot on as was the electronic steering input and output. The new Electronic Gear Selector is a prime example of ergonomic simplicity and enhancement.

Until the Acura NSX is debuted late next year (we hope), the RLX Sport Hybrid is the most powerful, efficient and well-equipped vehicle produced by Acura. The NSX will also feature 3 electric motors, but in a reversed format, with the 2 electric motors driving the front wheels rather than the rear. In the meantime, the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD in Advance trim is an ideal luxury performance sedan delivers almost everything one could imagine or needs. In fact, if it's not there, you probably don't need it, as all the latest, state of the art technologies and features are included in its content.
SPECIFICATIONS:

2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD Advance

Base Price: $55,000 est.*

Price as Tested: $65,000 est.*

*Official pricing yet to be announced

Engine Type and Size: 3.5-liter Direct Injection SOHC, 24-valve i-VTEC V-6 with VCM and idle stop. Rear-mounted Twin Motor Unit with 2 27-kilowatt (36 hp) motors, a trunk-mounted Intelligent Power Unit with a 72-cell, 1.3 kWh, 260-volt lithium-ion battery pack, and Acura's Drive-by-Wire throttle system.

Horsepower (bhp): 310 @ 6,500 rpm

Torque (ft./lbs.): 273 @ 4,700 rpm

Total Combined Hybrid System Horsepower: 377 Torque: 377.

Transmission: Motor-integrated 7-speed Dual Clutch with built-in 35- kilowatt (47 hp) electric motor with sequential SportShift paddle shifters, Automatic Drive Mode, Grade Logic and Shift Hold Control, with an all-new fully electronic Electronic Gear Selector, shift-by-wire gear selector - Park, Neutral and Drive are selected with the push of a button. Reverse is selected by pulling back a dedicated switch. Indicator lights near the buttons indicate the mode selected. Sport and Normal modes are available.

Drivetrain: Transversely mounted front engine; Super Handling-All Wheel Drive with Torque Vectoring and no conventional drive shaft or rear differential, replaced by twin 27-kilowatt (36 hp) electric motors that independently drive the left and right rear wheels. Each motor can also capture regenerative braking energy and apply negative (regenerative braking) torque to further enhance cornering capability.

Suspension: Front - Double wishbone, lower double-joint with a hydraulic compliance bushing, high-strength stabilizer bar and amplitude reactive dampers. Rear - Multi-link rear with amplitude reactive dampers.

Brakes: Power-assisted four-wheel discs with 2-piston front calipers and an Electric Servo Brake system utilizing front motor brake torque, supplementing hydraulic friction braking and providing energy to the hybrid battery pack through regenerative braking.

Tires: Michelin245/40 R19 M+S all-season mounted on 10-spoke painted alloy wheels.

Wheelbase: 112.2 inches

Length Overall: 196.1 inches

Width: 74.4 inches

Height: 57.7 inches

Curb Weight: 3,923 lbs.

Fuel Capacity: 15.1 gallons

EPA Mileage Estimates: 28 mpg city/32 mpg highway
Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Drifting

I saw the Sport Hybrid and sat in it at our local auto show this weekend. It was silver car, which I don't think displays the RLX's lines in the best light, but it was undeniably a nice looking car. Those who complain about the RLX's styling are barking up the wrong tree.

The Krell stereo is a complete knock-out, even on just HD radio. One of the sales guys BT'd his phone to it and played Hotel California by the Eagles. It sounded fantastic - from 10 feet away. The interior was very nice; it seemed richer and better finished than the FWD car on display last year (which itself seemed very nice on the inside).

The car (and another FWD RLX in black) seemed to be a big hit. Lots of people were checking it out all evening. As an aside, my teenaged son and his pal (who were looking cars on their own) announced that the Sport Hybrid was one of the "coolest" cars at the show. So much for being "an old person's car."
hondamore (01-28-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
WSJ Review

Rumble Seat
Acura's RLX Is a Lovely Car That's Hard to Love

Acura puts out an impressive hybrid that should shine in the midsize, midpremium sedan segment. But it can be hard to love

By
Dan Neil

2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD Honda Motor Company

NOW, WHAT WAS YOUR HANDLE there, partner? The 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD? SH-Shawd, is it? Nice.

There are many mysteries in life. Giraffe husbandry is apparently more subtle than one would expect. But I would like for someone to explain to me, in very small words, why I don't want this car, Acura's replacement for the RL and its advanced-hybrid entry in the midsize, midpremium sedan segment (BMW 5-series, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti M35h, Audi A6). Why is my heart an interstellar void, a timeless dharma of no thanks? I just don't want it.

Objectively, this is a great machine (around $60,000 to start). It might be called the best car in its class, but when you look at it—an all-wheel-drive, gas-electric hybrid, midpremium sedan—the RLX has a class to itself. This car boasts a pair of pretty stellar numbers: 377 horsepower (system net) and an EPA-estimated 30 miles per gallon, combined, effectively offering V8 power in a five-passenger sedan with four-cylinder fuel economy. It has class-leading rear-passenger space and a trunk that can stow four lightweight golf bags (12 cubic feet). Acura says the RLX's powerful, jeweled LED headlamps have the greatest illumination in the segment, and only occasionally cause insanity.

From an engineering and packaging perspective it is 10 pounds in a 5-pound bucket. Concealed about the person of the RLX Hybrid: a 3.5-liter, 310-hp direct-injection V6; a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission with its own integrated e-motor/starter; a power-electronics module the size of an otter, situated in space formerly reserved for a drive shaft; a 1.3 kwh battery pack, which itself is the size of carry-on luggage.

And, most salient for our purposes, there are two goodly electric-traction motors (36 hp and 54 pound-feet apiece), arrayed at the rear axle line, each powering, or de-powering, a rear wheel as needed to help the car turn, much as paddling forward on one side and backward on another turns a canoe. This is the eponymous Sh-shawd system.

Imagine this: You roll into a tight curve, brushing the brakes and steady throttle (by now, of course, you've pressed the "Sport" button on the RLX's handsome gear-selector console; doing so, the media materials assure us, initiates maximum Takaburi, or "exhilaration," at the will of the driver, or Inomama).

As the dual-clutch gearbox ticks off quietly lusty downshifts, you turn the wheel, and to comply with the directed line, the system lags the inside rear wheel with regenerative braking (negative torque) and over-drives the outside rear wheel (positive torque), imparting a yaw moment, a turning force, in the car.

I took this car for a flog in Bay Area hill country and it was a revelation. When the inside rear wheel checks up in a corner—sometimes trail-braking hard enough to chirp the tire—the yaw acceleration picks up quite palpably, and the car whips around a corner like its skirt is caught in a cab door.

The RLX's handling is pinpoint, sparkling, with a physicality that you don't expect in a car of its burgher-esque aspirations. I have every confidence that the RLX Etc., will wear out an Audi A6 or Cadillac CTS on a road course, and do so with quiet confidence and total lack of tire histrionics. You point the RLX and it goes. And the car I was driving was fitted with not-particularly sporty M+S radials. I'd like to drive this car with summer rubber on it.

Also surprising is the pace. With three torque-y electric motors and a responsive, high-tech V6 at its disposal, the car can exploit both efficiency and performance opportunistically. Below 50 mph, with moderate throttle demand, the car will rely mostly on its electric propulsion. At times of sudden demand and extended high output, the system entrains the V6, and it catches a brisk gas-powered tailwind. A full-throttle launch will take the RLX Hybrid to 60 mph in about 5.5 seconds—plenty quick for a V6-powered, 4,354-pound sedan—and if you're in the mood the RLX will gladly rev and snarl. In Sport mode, downshifts are met with trills of engine revs as the computer automatically rev-matches, or "blips" the throttle.
2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD With Advance Package

You will have to listen closely, however. A huge amount of noise-damping syrup has been poured over this car. The twin-motor unit, for instance, has its own elastically isolated subframe. The engine's shuffling on and offstage is likewise silenced by an actively damping engine mount. Other noise attenuation includes noise-cancelling output from the audio system, acoustically laminated window glass, and antihowl silencers built into the alloy wheels themselves. In the normal order of business, drivers will be unaware of the car's algorithmic dealings as it shuttles among seven drive modes. It will just hum.

With your permission, a historical footnote: Torque vectoring—the asymmetrical application of torque across and between axles to affect higher steering response, linearity and vehicle stability—is the hot dynamics technology, enabled by hybridization and the supple modulations of torque possible with electric-traction motors. The Porsche 911 GT3 Hybrid race car I drove a couple of years ago did what the Acura does, except the Porsche's powerful electric motors are twinned on the front axle and not the rear (Acura's reborn mid-engine exotic, the NSX, coming later this year, will be arranged similarly).

But it is the RLX, actually, that has brought fully articulate torque vectoring to the mass market. Hmmm. Yeah. No, still don't want it.

I concede. It isn't rational. The RLX is spacious, especially compared with the old RL, with rear seat legroom that dare I say even a euthanized giraffe would appreciate. It gets full marks in crash safety (full marks from the Feds, and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety). It bristles with driver-assistance features, including optional active cruise control with low-speed follow (call it "auto stop and roll"); and optional lane-keeping assist and departure warning.

The rap against Acuras used to be that they are front-drive cars posting up against authentic rear-drive luxury cars from BMW and Mercedes. But Audis are likewise front-biased. Not only that, thanks to the 357 additional pounds of distributed mass in the RLX Hybrid, weight distribution is improved, to 57/43%, front/rear, compared with the non-hybrid's nosy 61/39. Another objection down in flames.

And yet, nada. I am a barren land where Acura's seed can find no purchase. It might be something as subtle as what designers call "stance." Its German competitors (Audi A6 and BMW 5, including) emphasize a broad and low presence, signaling a low center of gravity and road holding, with lower belt lines, close-fit wheel wells, fuller body contours along the rocker panels. Beneath the RLX's relatively high belt line, the aluminum skin weakly retreats to the car's underside, visually suggesting less athleticism than the car actually possesses. It could be because the RLX Hybrid looks very much like what it is, an outrageously expensive clone of the company's Honda Accord.

Where styling does intrude on the RLX Hybrid, it does so weirdly: The hockey-stick curve of the front wheel arches; the full-on-crazy, actress-on-a-rampage headlamps.

In any event, thanks, thanks immensely, but no. I'd rather eat giraffe.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
So basically, there's nothing major wrong with the RLX, but the reviewer still hates it.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
So basically, there's nothing major wrong with the RLX, but the reviewer still hates it.
Bingo. IMHO Dan Neil is an ass. Do we really care what his personal taste is? Kinda difficult to see any journalistic objectivity when he is too busy masturbating. Is it not obvious, even to him that his factual observations contradict his pre-disposed self importance? As with most automobile 'journalists' they cannot get their heads out of their own asses to review a vehicle with the concept that not everyone share's their personal taste. I have never met anyone who wanted to be 'just like Dan Neil'.

Unfortunately they influence the masses pre-empting readers from considering a car. And unfortunately even auto manufacturers are trying to turn every car into a 3 series wannabe that has X.XX time on the Nuremburg Ring based on the oh so diverse mentality of auto rag reviews.

I am glad the RL bucks that trend and Acura as a brand seems to be turning back to pleasing the public and not these self nominated jurors of the automotive industry.
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (02-14-2014), jhr3uva90 (02-15-2014), Shotgun (02-15-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 15 Posts
Just got email from Acura saying: The Acura RLX: Driven By Passion Tour Invitation‏.

They didn't mention "SH-AWD" though...

But it says "This is an invitation for Test drive Acura's Flagship Sedan-the RLX."

2/28~3/2
Pasadena, CA 91105

Anyone got this email???
Old 02-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Dan Neil comes across as a pompous fool.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011TL
Dan Neil comes across as a pompous fool.
He doesn't come "across" as a pompous fool - He "is" a pompous fool!!!
2011TL (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 07:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shotgun
He doesn't come "across" as a pompous fool - He "is" a pompous fool!!!
My bad! LOL
Old 02-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Drifting

What a jackass Neil is. Sure, this car is just an upmarket Accord. What a know-nothing. I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading his crap. Damn.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
What a jackass Neil is. Sure, this car is just an upmarket Accord. What a know-nothing. I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading his crap. Damn.
If they had made a upscale Camry and put an L on the radiator, reviewers would applaud its creativity.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kurtatx
If they had made a upscale Camry and put an L on the radiator, reviewers would applaud its creativity.

Right you are. Or better yet, a MB star or BMW badge.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
So according to Dan Neil, the RLX is just not in-your-face or self-righteous enough despite its technical competence.

You know what? That is just fine by me. I would rather drive something that does its job well but in an understated way than to need to have every pair of eyes on me. Some people want to be the center of attention, others appreciate quiet competence.
JM2010 SH-AWD (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 12:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
I think what Mr. Neil is saying is that it is very difficult to love the RLX SHAWD because it takes such a great deal of effort to fall in love with it...first you have to open the door, then you have to sit down, then you have to look around at your surroundings, then you have to push the button to start it and then you have to drive it. All of this is just too much for him and most auto journalists to endure in order to fall in love with the RLX SHAWD. (Massive sarcasm intended)
Old 02-18-2014, 05:04 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
An Outrageous Clone of a Fool!

"… It could be because the RLX Hybrid looks very much like what it is, an outrageously expensive clone of the company's Honda Accord." – Dan Neil

Notwithstanding the notion of acceptable personal preference, opinion and taste - For anyone to make such a comparison, especially one who claims to be a Subject Matter Expert or professes to be an aficionado of automotive excellence, clearly has less than a firm grip on reality and is a mere charlatan of his practiced art...
Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 AM
Safety Car

Talking TechStuff31

Old 02-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotgun
"… It could be because the RLX Hybrid looks very much like what it is, an outrageously expensive clone of the company's Honda Accord." – Dan Neil

Notwithstanding the notion of acceptable personal preference, opinion and taste - For anyone to make such a comparison, especially one who claims to be a Subject Matter Expert or professes to be an aficionado of automotive excellence, clearly has less than a firm grip on reality and is a mere charlatan of his practiced art...
Is he the same guy that did the crappy drive review of the Tesla?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
So according to Dan Neil, the RLX is just not in-your-face or self-righteous enough despite its technical competence.

You know what? That is just fine by me. I would rather drive something that does its job well but in an understated way than to need to have every pair of eyes on me. Some people want to be the center of attention, others appreciate quiet competence.

I think you put your finger right on it. Many folks in this price range are of the "look at me" ilk. The Acura is not designed for them. So-called journalists like Neill fall into line. If it does not scream "look at me," it is obviously not worthy.
2011TL (02-19-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
while I like the review it made me want the RLX less.

he's quoting 0-60 in 5.35s which is maybe half a second quicker than non hybrid but kind of weak for the amount of power they claim.

I was more interested in knowing how quickly the car can summon that power and if the electric motors made severe down shifting unnecessary for passing.

Heard the engine note about once at a decent amount of power and it was fairly muted, not sure that brings out the sporty nature as much as the quiet hybrid nature. I think it should be louder, at least full throttle.

As much as I like the tech I'm just not feeling the 60-65k this thing eventually will sticker for or the 55-60 they will eventually discount it to.

Now if this thing does 0-60 sub 5 and stop in under 160 ft and pulls over .9G on the skidpad with all season tires...put me in the front of the line at whatever price they charge.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by 037
he's quoting 0-60 in 5.35s which is maybe half a second quicker than non hybrid but kind of weak for the amount of power they claim.
The car can't put all the power down at once. It starts with rear motor electrics that are only totally maybe 80 HP at the most.

0-60 is never going to be this car's strong point.

I was more interested in knowing how quickly the car can summon that power and if the electric motors made severe down shifting unnecessary for passing.
Although the car has a very broad torque band, you are going to downshift two or three gears when you pull out to pass. That, of course, assumes that the J35Y4 is even running when you make these decisions.

I think it should be louder, at least full throttle.
Under pressure, the Krell system is pumping enough sound to you to give you a really good impression. :-) They're cheating, I know, but it still sounds good.

And even the regular FWD car has startling mid-range acceleration. The modern direct injection J Motor is very, very well tuned IMHO and it makes me look forward for what they're going to do with the 9 speed TLX, and whether the 9 speed will make it into the RLX FWD at the facelift.

And speaking of transmission..... The 7 speed DCT in the Hybrid is the smoothest you will experience. They use the front electric motor to hide what's going on, so that you don't feel the shifting and clutching the way you feel it with a Porsche Carrera.

It's not going to be easy to point to any particular metric and say the RLX is the best at anything.

It's more a sum total of everything.

It's just...kind of nice....
Old 02-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
In NORMAL mode it will launch via the RWD motors initially. Then the engine & 3rd motor phase in based on throttle input. If you stomp the throttle, that phase in is more instantaneous. Similarly in SPORT mode the use of all power systems is maximized and the engine remains active in SPORT mode (no Start / Stop cycling).

Further, in SPORT mode the downshifts are automatically a 2 gear drop.

Personally I think anyone moaning over tenths of a second in the performance of this car simply does not understand what it is about: smooth, refined power delivery with benefit of economy. You might as well whine that sign language does not deliver enough bass.

Any who thinks buyers for the RLX SHAWD are buying it because it is .XX seconds faster than ABC is another example why a fool and their money will part.

Save it for the NSX.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
2011TL (02-21-2014), hondamore (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Ttac

It wasn’t that long ago I had an Acura RLX for a week. If you recall that review, I came away liking the car but found little joy in the price tag. Despite wearing a fantastic stitched leather interior, there was just no way I could justify the $10,000 premium over the AWD turbocharged competition from Lincoln, Volvo and others. Can a new dual clutch transmission and 3 electric motors turn the RLX from being a good car with the wrong price tag to a value proposition?

Because of the RLX’s FWD drivetrain, I was forced to view the RLX with an eye towards the Volvo S80, Lincoln MKS and the Lexus ES. With the Sport Hybrid model, Acura has done 2 things to take the RLX out of that pool and dive into another: AWD and a hybrid system. On paper a 377 horsepower hybrid system should put the RLX head to head with the Lexus GS 350, Infiniti M35h, and BMW AciveHybrid 5.

On the outside, the RLX cuts an elegant and restrained pose. Although the cars Acura allowed us to drive at a regional event were pre-produciton, fit and finish was excellent. Lincoln has certainly made strides in recent years, but there is a difference in build quality between the MKS and the RLX that didn’t go unnoticed. Acura attempts to further distinguish the RLX from the other near-luxury brands by going aluminum intensive with the hood, quarter panels and all four doors courtesy of Alcoa. I find the RLX unquestionably attractive but the overall form fails to beat the Cadillac CTS or BMW 5-Series in my book. I place the RLX’s exterior form a tie with the Infiniti M and a hair behind the Lexus GS, especially if the GS is wearing that funky F-Sport nose.

Interior

While German interiors continue to be somewhat spartan and cold, the RLX feels open and inviting. Stitched dash and door panels elevate the cabin well above what you will find in a Lexus ES Hybrid or Lincoln MKS. The same is true for the rear of the cabin. Constructed out of the same high quality materials as the front, this is a definite departure from the hard plastics found in the ES and MKS. Most of my day was spent in an RLX with a grey and ivory motif that played to my personal tastes. On the down side, Acura continues to woo luxury shoppers with obviously fake looking faux-wood. This decision is doubly perplexing, as the new MDX is available in Canada with real wood trim, but not in America. Why don’t they offer it in America on either car?

Front seat comfort is among the best in the luxury set, beating the Mercedes E350, Lexus GS 450h and Infiniti M35h that I drove that day, but falling short of the million-way BMW M-Sport seats. Because the RLX rides on a transverse engine platform, there is an inherent space efficiency and the direct beneficiary is the rear cabin where you’ll find 2-3 inches more rear leg room than any of the other hybrids. I had hoped the Sport Hybrid design would allow a low “hump” since there isn’t a driveshaft going rearward, but unfortunately Acura decided to use this space for hybrid drivetrain components. It’s probably just as well, since the middle seat is considerably higher than the outboard rear seats making it impossible for a 6-foot passenger to ride in the middle. Thanks to lithium-ion batteries(rather than the nickel-based packs Toyota and Lexus use), the RLX maintains a decently sized trunk capable of swallowing 4 golf bags.

For reasons unknown, Acura decided to use the Sport Hybrid to re-invent the shifter control. I know that everyone else is doing this, but Acura’s 4-button arrangement strikes me as 1 of the most unusual. Instead of a flat button bank ala-Lincoln, Acura uses a bank that is designed to have some meaning. Park is a button, Drive is a differently shaped button, Neutral is yet another shape of button and Reverse is a button on its side that you push toward the rear of the vehicle. While that sounds logical, it was far from elegant when we had to make several 4-point turns in San Francisco. Anyone else prefer a regular old console shifter?

Infotainment, Gadgets and Pricing

Like the regular RLX, the Sport Hybrid combines a 7-inch haptic feedback touchscreen with an 8-inch display only screen set higher in the dash. The engineers say the concept is as follows: the lower touchscreen handles the audio, freeing the upper screen for navigation and other tasks. My opinion of the system has improved since I 1st encountered it on the MDX but I still think the casserole needs more time in the oven. You can change tracks and albums using the touchscreen but changing playlists or genres requires you to use the rotary/joystick lower in the dash to control the 8-inch screen. In my mind this sort of kills the dual-screen sales proposition. On the positive side the system is very responsive and the graphics are all high-resolution and attractive. iDrive is still my favorite in the mid-size luxury segment, but AcuraLink ties with MMI in 2nd.

Base Sport Hybrid models get a speaker bump from the gas-only RLX’s 10-speaker sound system to the mid-range Acura ELS system. As you would assume, the Sport Hybrid model is well equipped versus the gasoline model and all models come with navigation, tri-zone GPS-linked climate control and keyless go. Keeping things simple there is only 1 option, the “Advance package” (no, Advance is not a typo), which adds Krell speakers, ventilated front seats, sunshades and seat warmers for the rear passengers, front parking sensors, power folding mirrors, radar cruise control, lane departure warning and lane keep assist, a pre-collision warning system and electric front seat belt tensioners.

Drivetrain

Now for what makes the RLX a Sport Hybrid. 1st up, we a direct-injection 3.5L V6 producing 310 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of twist that now sports start/stop technology. This engine is mated to a brand-new 7-speed transaxle developed specifically for the RLX. The new transaxle is a hybrid of sorts (and I’m not talking about the motors yet) blending a 2-speed planetary gearset with a 6-speed dual-clutch robotic manual transmission. The 2 technologies allow the entire unit to be as compact as possible. 1st gear is obtained by setting the dual clutch gearbox to 5th gear and the planetary gearset to low while “2nd” through “7th” use DCT gears 1-6 in order with the planetary set to high. I found this solution particularly interesting because it would, in theory, allow Acura to obtain more than 7 ratios from the same unit with some software programming. 12-speed anyone? After the transmission is the 1st (and largest) motor/generator, rated for 47 horsepower/109 lb-ft. Thanks to the dual-clutch transmission, the engine can be decoupled from the drivetrain, making this different from Honda’s IMA system where the engine is always spinning.

Linked by a high-voltage electrical system is a rear mounted 2-motor drive unit. The single inboard housing incorporates twin 36 horsepower /54 lb-ft motors and a clutch pack. The clutch pack is used to connect the motors together when the system needs to deliver equal power to each rear wheel. Combined with the lithium-ion battery pack in the trunk (the same one used in the Accord Hybrid), you get 377 total horsepower and 377 lb-ft of combined torque. Until you reach approximately 75 MPH at which point you have around 310 horsepower because the rear motors gradually disengage and completely disconnect over 80 MPH. The whole shebang is good for 28/32/30 MPG (City/Highway/Combined).

Drive

Why bother with two motors in the rear? Torque vectoring. The dual rear motor arrangement separates Acrua’s system from the e-AWD systems in the Lexus RX 400h and Highlander Hybrid, or the mechanical systems in the Infiniti Q50 Hybrid or Lexus LS 600hL. Although it produces about the same amount of power as Toyota’s rear hybrid motor and likely weighs more, splitting things in 2 allows it to vector torque all the time, power on or off. Say what? Yep, you read that correctly, this is the 1st production system that torque vectors when your foot isn’t on the gas. Think of it like a canoe. If you’re moving forward and you plant an oar in the water, the canoe will rotate around that axis. Instead of oars, the RLX uses motors.

Let’s get 1 thing out of the way right now – this isn’t a replacement in my mind for Acura’s mechanical SH-AWD system. The mechanical AWD system uses an overdrive module to make the rear wheels almost a full percent faster than the front wheels causing the vehicle to behave like a RWD biased vehicle. In that setup, the front wheels are being “pushed” by the rears and the result is steering feel that is very much like a RWD sedan when under power. When the power was off in the old RL, the car would plow into the bushes like a front-heavy Audi. The RLX Sport Hybrid is completely different.

Under full acceleration, the rear motors in the RLX contribute 72 ponies while the engine serves up 310 to the front wheels. The numerical imbalance between that total and the 377 “system horsepower” is consumed in the power curve of the motors and engine and the use of the front motor to draw a little power off to send to the rear. This means that while the old RL could effectively shuttle the majority of the power to the rear wheels, the RLX hybrid is at best an 80/20 split (front/rear). As a result, flooring the RLX from a stop elicits 1-wheel peel, a vague hint of wheel hop and a smidge of torque steer. Once the road starts to bend, the hybrid system starts to shine. By not only accelerating the outside rear wheel in a corner but essentially braking the inside one (and using the energy to power the outside wheel), the RLX cuts a near perfect line in the corners. Point the RLX somewhere, and the car responds crisply and instantly. And without much feel.

The downside to the rear wheels contributing so much to the RLX’s direction changes is that the steering is next to lifeless. The analogy that kept coming to mind was a video game. The RLX changes direction more readily and easily than a front heavy sedan should, yet there is little feedback about the process. When the power is off, things stay the same, with the RLX dutifully following the line you have charted in a way the FWD RLX or the old RL never could.

Acura was confident enough in the RLX to provide a GS 450h for us to play with and the difference was enlightening. The GS is less engaging from a drivetrain perspective thanks to the “eCVT” planetary hybrid system, something the RLX’s dual-clutch box excels at, but the well-balanced GS platform is by far the driver’s car on the road. The Lexus feels less artificial, more nimble, and more connected to the driver. The RLX is not far behind in terms of raw numbers, and is faster off the line, but the RLX feels less connected and more artificial in the process. It is also important to note that the RLX is the only AWD hybrid in this class since the Infiniti Q50 hybrid is Acura TL sized and the Lexus LS 600hL is considerably larger and more expensive. That feature alone makes the RLX attractive to anyone living in areas where winter traction is a consideration.

The 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid is an amazing bundle of technology. Combining a dual clutch transmission, a torque vectoring AWD system and 3 hybrid motors, the RLX is the gadget lover’s dream car. As a technology geek, the system is an intriguing solution to 2 problems plaguing near luxury brands like Acura, Volvo and Lincoln: How do we make our FWD platforms compete with RWD competitors, and how do we put a green foot forward. In doing so the RLX Hybrid may have also solved the value proposition I complained about with the FWD model. According to Acura's thinly veiled charts, we can expect the RLX to be priced the same as the Lexus GS 450h which is $5,000 more than the M35h and about $1,000 less than BMW’s ActiveHybrid 5.

Factoring in the AWD system’s $2,000-$2,500 value and standard features on the RLX and the value proposition gets better. At the high end, the “Advance” package is likely to represent a $10,000 discount vs a similarly configured Lexus or BMW. The RLX Sport Hybrid has caused me to look at the RLX in a different light. Instead of thinking the FWD RLX should be $10,000 cheaper, I now think it is irrelevant. The Sport Hybrid has what it takes to compete with the Lexus and Infiniti hybrids head on and the value proposition to tempt potential BMW shoppers, but that turns the front-drive base model into a potential image liability. I’ll reserve my final judgment until we can get our hands on 1 for more than a few hours, but until then, it appears Acura has crafted a compelling hybrid system that should be on any snow-belt shopper’s list and may provide enough value to sway RWD luxury hybrid shoppers. Stay tuned for more pricing information in the Spring.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)