**OFFICIAL RLX THREAD** Update p.14: Prod. car to debut in LA 11/28

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Hmm.. I wonder if they are made by the same company.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
I think he's onto something here. Both cars have steering wheels, seating for five, a rear view mirror, sun visors, a shift knob... The list just goes on and on.

Has anyone noticed that you haven't seen an RLX in person but continually compare its quality to cars that are $20k cheaper?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Suzuka Master

pure genius.

I notice that poor college kids compare cheap beer to expensive craft beer...
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exactly. Thanks for making my point.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Suzuka Master

you are very welcome.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Senior Moderator

So he forgot the red text again?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

either way its a win. LoL
Old 12-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
When will we be able to get inside one?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
http://www.kiamotors.com/quoris/index.html

We all know about Kia and how it is viewed as a low brand company but this is a nice car...... Think if that comes to the US it will give Acura a run for its money?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Same car as the Hyundai Equuis since Hyundai and Kia are the same manufacture like Honda/Acura are.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 465 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by nore03
Think if that comes to the US it will give Acura a run for its money?
No.. and who ever cross shops a Hyundai with an Acura doesn't deserve the Acura in the first place.

The Quoris/ K9/ Equus all my be nice but everyone knows Kia and Hyundai are POS's and will leave you SOL on the side of the road after you put it through the normal abuse that you would with an Acura/ Honda product of any.

I know I'm being really ignorant.. sorry. But who wants to brag about driving a Kia, no matter how much more leather it has then our Acura's. Not me.

Besides, who would give up VTEC?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
I gave up VTEC for a Genesis...and so far did not get SOL'd on the side of the road.

2014 Genesis will add AWD and possibly turbo with a 10 speed tranny. I am watching RLX as a competitor.

this

or this

Last edited by 037; 12-30-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by nore03
http://www.kiamotors.com/quoris/index.html

We all know about Kia and how it is viewed as a low brand company but this is a nice car...... Think if that comes to the US it will give Acura a run for its money?
LOOKS like a Buick GONE BAD....(FUGLY)......
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^^

You think the RLX looks better? It looks much more like an Audi than a Buick imo. Don't worry though, Honda will copy the look for their 2018 Accords (like they copied the Genesis which copied MB and BMW) and you'll be used to it by then.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
^^^^^

and this coming from a TL owner!
Most cars you eventually get used to but the latest TL could take many years (IMHO)
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Acura officially announces pricing. RLX to start at $49,345 including destination charge. In trying to figure out exactly what cars will be a competitor to this full size FWD V6 luxury vehicle I could only find a couple cars priced and equipped similarly...the Cadillac XTS and the Audi A6. The Caddy starts about $5k under the RLX but, from what I could tell, does not include standard navigation. I'm sure the RLX will have a sportier disposition with its 4-wheel steering and tighter suspension but the people that will be cross shopping the XTS against the RLX will probably prefer the softer ride of the Cadillac. Also, looks my be subjective but at least the Caddy will stand out in a crowd and not look like a gussied up Accord.

I'm not even going to attempt to decipher the standard vs available options and packages on the A6. All I know is that I've never in my life seen a FWD Audi in Colorado. Maybe they exist in warmer weather states but definitely not around here. In fact, the only FWD Audi's I ever see in CO are base model A3's. The Audi also comes with a 2.0T, not a V6. Again, as far as I know, people don't buy FWD A6's so it's a bit irrelevant to this discussion.

The article says there will be 5 different trim levels with the Advance package topping out at $61,345 and I don't think that is going to be the hybrid SH-SH-AWD model. Yikes. It's gonna take a pretty serious marketing plan for Acura to get this vehicle off the ground. I just can't imagine the average buyer will find $50-$60k worth of value in the FWD RLX. If you take out a few of the electronic gizmos it is pretty comparable to a mid $30k Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima or Lincoln MKS.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Acura officially announces pricing. RLX to start at $49,345 including destination charge. In trying to figure out exactly what cars will be a competitor to this full size FWD V6 luxury vehicle I could only find a couple cars priced and equipped similarly...the Cadillac XTS and the Audi A6. The Caddy starts about $5k under the RLX but, from what I could tell, does not include standard navigation. I'm sure the RLX will have a sportier disposition with its 4-wheel steering and tighter suspension but the people that will be cross shopping the XTS against the RLX will probably prefer the softer ride of the Cadillac. Also, looks my be subjective but at least the Caddy will stand out in a crowd and not look like a gussied up Accord.

I'm not even going to attempt to decipher the standard vs available options and packages on the A6. All I know is that I've never in my life seen a FWD Audi in Colorado. Maybe they exist in warmer weather states but definitely not around here. In fact, the only FWD Audi's I ever see in CO are base model A3's. The Audi also comes with a 2.0T, not a V6. Again, as far as I know, people don't buy FWD A6's so it's a bit irrelevant to this discussion.

The article says there will be 5 different trim levels with the Advance package topping out at $61,345 and I don't think that is going to be the hybrid SH-SH-AWD model. Yikes. It's gonna take a pretty serious marketing plan for Acura to get this vehicle off the ground. I just can't imagine the average buyer will find $50-$60k worth of value in the FWD RLX. If you take out a few of the electronic gizmos it is pretty comparable to a mid $30k Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima or Lincoln MKS.
I have to agree with you (see my post in the other RLX thread). The XTS is a competitor, but I agree that they are a different demographic.

Acura's insistence on sticking with a FWD, transverse mounted engine will leave it off the list of people cross shopping BMWs, Benzes and Lexus.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
The fact that the RLX is not a BMW, Benz or Lexus will leave it off the list of people cross shopping those cars.

The simple fact is, this segment belongs to BMW and Mercedes. There is little the Japanese car companies can do to crack this, even though they have tried for years. The new Lexus GS sold 2796 units the US in December, far less than the BMW 5 Series and the Mercedes E class. The Infiniti M (I car I really like) as everything people ask for: unique styling, RWD, and an available V6. How many sold in the US in December? 849.

The Acura RL/RLX will NEVER be a huge seller because: 1) the market for $50K cars is shrinking along with the upper-middle class, 2) those who can still afford $50K cars want the whole world to know they can. I predict that the RLX will sell about the same as the Infiniti M, but will be more profitable because American-made FWD cars are cheaper to manufacture than Japanese-made RWD cars.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
The fact that the RLX is not a BMW, Benz or Lexus will leave it off the list of people cross shopping those cars.

The simple fact is, this segment belongs to BMW and Mercedes. There is little the Japanese car companies can do to crack this, even though they have tried for years. The new Lexus GS sold 2796 units the US in December, far less than the BMW 5 Series and the Mercedes E class. The Infiniti M (I car I really like) as everything people ask for: unique styling, RWD, and an available V6. How many sold in the US in December? 849.

The Acura RL/RLX will NEVER be a huge seller because: 1) the market for $50K cars is shrinking along with the upper-middle class, 2) those who can still afford $50K cars want the whole world to know they can. I predict that the RLX will sell about the same as the Infiniti M, but will be more profitable because American-made FWD cars are cheaper to manufacture than Japanese-made RWD cars.
They would be lucky to sell as many ans the M does, and even the M is in decline. Infiniti has ridiculous discounts on them.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
I just can't imagine the average buyer will find $50-$60k worth of value in the FWD RLX. If you take out a few of the electronic gizmos it is pretty comparable to a mid $30k Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima or Lincoln MKS.
Don't tell the others. On page 17 of this thread, I said buyers would compare the car to the XTS, Azera and Avalon and they wouldn't buy it, and a member of this board nearly ran me through with a samurai sword.
The following users liked this post:
MC MiYoung3269 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCD
Don't tell the others. On page 17 of this thread, I said buyers would compare the car to the XTS, Azera and Avalon and they wouldn't buy it, and a member of this board nearly ran me through with a samurai sword.
I just don't see what exactly is going to be the allure of this vehicle. Here are a few thoughts I have:

Features. So it has dual screens, bluetooth, navigation, Pandora, etc. So what? I got into a fully loaded Ford Focus ST that had all of these things for less than half what Acura is asking for the RLX.

Luxurious interior. Again with the Focus ST, for half the money the Focus has what most would consider to be a fairly luxurious interior. Leather everywhere, power everything, comfy seats, very modern looking. I can see the difference and I understand that the RLX will utilize significantly better materials and engineering but will the average consumer?

Reliability, warranty and service. Yes, it will be the most reliable car in its class. The average new car buyer will only keep their vehicle for 3-5 years before trading it for something else. Pretty much any new car is going to be free of any major repairs for the first 5 years and even if something does happen it's usually covered under warranty. So if you're the original owner and you know you're probably only going to keep it for a few years why should you care if it is going to be reliable 10 years down the road? It's not going to be your problem by then. Speaking of the first 5 years of ownership, where the hell is Acura's no-cost maintenance program? If I was looking to buy a new car and keep it for 5 years I would definitely be shopping companies like BMW who offer 5 years/50,000 miles of no cost maintenance. That pretty much guarantees that you won't have to put any extra money into the car for the 5 years you own it.

Resale value. Honda/Acura may still lead the pack in resale value but the gap is closing quickly. Other car companies are making higher quality and more dependable vehicles these days which is beginning to negate Honda's "legendary" dependability and subsequent higher resale value. This long-term dependability is great for the people who buy these vehicles in the secondhand market, (which includes a large majority of members of this forum), but it honestly means squat to the consumers that are buying these cars new. Unfortunately for Acura, the secondhand consumers are not the ones that drive the new car market.

Acura's "name". It's not the 90's anymore. Acura hasn't been viewed as an industry leader or innovator for a long time. The Acura brand is about half a step above Buick these days and a comparably equipped Buick Lacrosse is quite a bit cheaper than the RLX. BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Lexus probably don't even view Acura as a competitor anymore. Acura has become the competition of brands like Buick, Lincoln and Volvo...and those companies wouldn't even dream of commanding $50k base price for a FWD vehicle.

Look, I'm as much an Acura fan as the rest of you. Other than a few beater cars here and there back in the day, I've owned nothing but Honda's and Acura's for my entire life. I bought my RL because it was reliable, AWD, loaded with tech, had classy understated looks and enough performance to put a smile on my face...but I'm not Acura's target market for the RL. I'm not the type of person that has $60k to spend on a new car right now. Some of you are in that financial position, most of you are not though. If I did have $60k to spend on a new car though, I honestly don't think I would be buying the new RLX. Considering the fully loaded AWD version is likely to climb close to $70k, I just don't see $70k worth of car here given what else can be had for that kind of money. I'm happy that a few people will spend that kind of money and even happier that they will move on to a different vehicle within a few years because then people like us will get to experience owning one at a significantly less price point.
The following users liked this post:
jhr3uva90 (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^

The Acura name has declined with the Legend, they lost their way. I still love their cars, but the RLX will have a up hill battle.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Unfortunately I have to agree with recent comments such as those from BDogg and KeithL.

This is a sad state of affairs from the early to mid 90's
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I love Acuras, and I like the RLX and the technology in the car, but Acura is deluding itself with a potential sticker of $65k+ for any trim level of the RLX. Outside of the NSX, the brand doesn't have the cachet to support that. I'm incredibly disappointed by the listed pricing. I've been holding on to my 06 RL waiting for the next-gen vehicle, but there's no way I'm dropping $65K to get an AWD RLX. These cars are likely going to be discounted heavily to move them, and there will be likely be few AWD versions around. I have no idea why they need 6 different trim levels of the same car. WTF?

Last edited by dwboston; 01-18-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Timmy18
No.. and who ever cross shops a Hyundai with an Acura doesn't deserve the Acura in the first place.

The Quoris/ K9/ Equus all my be nice but everyone knows Kia and Hyundai are POS's and will leave you SOL on the side of the road after you put it through the normal abuse that you would with an Acura/ Honda product of any.

I know I'm being really ignorant.. sorry. But who wants to brag about driving a Kia, no matter how much more leather it has then our Acura's. Not me.

Besides, who would give up VTEC?
Ignorance is bliss....

I had 6 Acura TLs and I was close to getting a Genesis and the new R-Spec is nice. For Hyundai's first effort the Genesis is a good attempt, the 14 Genesis should be a real competitor. Whee I think the Genesis and Equus lack is the interior comes of a little cheap. The switch, knobs, controls are typical Hyundai and do not reflect a luxury look and feel. Once they get more experience tuning their suspensions they will be right there.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dwboston
I love Acuras, and I like the RLX and the technology in the car, but Acura is deluding itself with a potential sticker of $65k+ for any trim level of the RLX. Outside of the NSX, the brand doesn't have the cachet to support that. I'm incredibly disappointed by the listed pricing. I've been holding on to my 06 RL waiting for the next-gen vehicle, but there's no way I'm dropping $65K to get an AWD RLX. These cars are likely going to be discounted heavily to move them, and there will be likely be few AWD versions around. I have no idea why they need 6 different trim levels of the same car. WTF?
I remember Acura at one point would sell 70% tech package and 30% base telling me that Acura customers were interested in the technology. On the other hand in talking to Infiniti last few years I find that most other luxury brands (Infinit, Lexus, BMW) the opposite is true. I look at Infiniti inventory and the majority of cars on the lots are base plus premium package, very few touring or sport models. Basically most of the M models they move are around $50k. Go walk a BMW lot and most the 3 series on the lot are far from loaded cars. Same with Lexus, I was looking at the GS350, but wanted the car fairly well optioned up, and it was hard for them to find anything close to what I wanted. The moral of my story, Acura buyers are very much interested in bang for the buck and a good value, in a well built reliable car while the other makes people are more concerned with the status symbol than what goodies the car has.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I remember Acura at one point would sell 70% tech package and 30% base telling me that Acura customers were interested in the technology. On the other hand in talking to Infiniti last few years I find that most other luxury brands (Infinit, Lexus, BMW) the opposite is true. I look at Infiniti inventory and the majority of cars on the lots are base plus premium package, very few touring or sport models. Basically most of the M models they move are around $50k. Go walk a BMW lot and most the 3 series on the lot are far from loaded cars. Same with Lexus, I was looking at the GS350, but wanted the car fairly well optioned up, and it was hard for them to find anything close to what I wanted. The moral of my story, Acura buyers are very much interested in bang for the buck and a good value, in a well built reliable car while the other makes people are more concerned with the status symbol than what goodies the car has.
Oh, I'm aware of the 70/30 split and how it's reversed for BMW - I've seen the stats. I just think that having so many trim levels does nothing but create confusion for the customer, and reduces the likelihood of getting the color/trim level combo that you want. Having so many trim levels just goes against Acura's historical practice.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dwboston
Oh, I'm aware of the 70/30 split and how it's reversed for BMW - I've seen the stats. I just think that having so many trim levels does nothing but create confusion for the customer, and reduces the likelihood of getting the color/trim level combo that you want. Having so many trim levels just goes against Acura's historical practice.
That has been my problem, even with Infiniti. They called me recently trying to get me into a new M and because I have a Sport Touring model they could only find 2 in the Atlanta Area, one was white the other black, I wanted silver or gray so hence they lost my business for now. Even more rare are Sport Touring with Technology, I see maybe 1 in the area ever 3-4 months.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Received 1,000 Likes on 712 Posts
Got to see the RLX today. Overall I wasn't really surprised about it, I was just excited to finally see it in person lol. Really nice car inside and out. Only thing I don't like about it is the new dual screen setup. I had my opinions on it before I got to see it, but now I can actually say that it's pretty bad. To all the auto reviewers that say that the clusterfuck of buttons are confusing, they're in for a treat. The menu is really confusing and is complicated to access something quickly. I like physical buttons since you can feel for them while driving, but with this system you have to go through menus and to get to them. One neat little thing I really like are the little white LED accent lighting in little storage areas under the covers. Overall a really nice car minus the new system

Here are some pics I got of it. Not much since I had my 70-200 mounted and didnt feel like changing lenses.

Not entirely sure what this line does since I only noticed it after I got out of the car

New style clip
The following 5 users liked this post by MC MiYoung3269:
037 (01-28-2013), dwboston (01-28-2013), oo7spy (02-01-2013), Shotgun (01-27-2013), TSX69 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Smile Thanks!

Great pictures altho I pity anyone still on a 14.4 modem. My T1 line had some issues ... the car is growing on me the more real-life pics I see.

Anyhow, that line is this new blind spot thing that debuted on the ILX:

MyAcura Video
The driver’s side outside mirror is curved on the outer side to help minimize a key blind spot. Watch the video to learn more.

Last edited by TSX69; 01-29-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
I wonder how P-AWS compares to sh-awd in normal and performance driving? I can see how P-AWS will help in the mpg department. 4 wheel steering never caught on except in monster trucks in the past.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I wonder how P-AWS compares to sh-awd in normal and performance driving? I can see how P-AWS will help in the mpg department. 4 wheel steering never caught on except in monster trucks in the past.
My M37S has 4 wheels steering, and honestly I can't tell you if it is making a big difference. It only works above like 25MPH and while the car does seem to turn sharp, I would have o compare it back to back with a base M37 so see if it is noticeable.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
I saw this same RLX at the Houston Auto Show. It's pretty fancy. And the back seat is pretty roomy. If only they had added headreast monitors similar to the what BMW and Mercedes did for the backseat. If they wanted to advance the RLX further with another trim level, then the Hynduai Equus is a good example to follow.

I really like the direction that Acura is heading now. Makes me excited about what's in store with the 5th gen TL(X).
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Great pictures altho I pity anyone still on a 14.4 modem. My T1 line had some issues ...
sorry to hear about your T1 (1.544 Mbps), didn't realize anyone still used those, I hear they're expensive.

I'm on FIOS, 35/35MB
Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks to Bob for posting some of his interior pics from the NAIAS.
Originally Posted by neuronbob
PAWS RLX interior

Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just going to say it. If you haven't seen one or been in one or driven for that matter...I would reserve judgement. This car is fantastic.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ and with one post in 1.5 years of being a member, you are...???
Old 02-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
LOL, that is just mad sad. Anyway, I really like the style and I don't know why people keep saying it is just another Accord. It has some unique styling and hopes it going to sell better then the previous gen. Only time will tell.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by williebigz27
Just going to say it. If you haven't seen one or been in one or driven for that matter...I would reserve judgement. This car is fantastic.
The question that begs asking is:

Have you driven it?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I fail to see the point you're trying to make!

Quick Reply: **OFFICIAL RLX THREAD** Update p.14: Prod. car to debut in LA 11/28