brake squealing - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

brake squealing

Old 11-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

brake squealing

Originally Posted by nyr726
I've read a lot of threads on the 2019 RDX brake squealing in cold and wet weather I'm curious as to why nobody finds this as annoying as I do in a brand new high end vehicle is it the fact that the people saying dont worry about it live in a warmer climate to me it has become so bad that I'm questioning whether I made the right move buying this vehicle I always said Acura was the best running car I ever had until now I've tried to get the problem fixed and the dealership claimed there is no fix for it that it's under investigation which I'm sorry there's always a way to fix something anyone else having a concern on this topic please respond ive gone as far as contacting customer relations and still not getting anywhere with that I know people say let the brakes warm up and the squealing should stop but I've had plenty of new vehicles and never had this issue
Old 11-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

My brakes were pretty squeaky too, my dealer agreed with me and replaced the front pads and greased some stuff and it seems to be fine now, I donít think they actually replaced the rotors, just the front pads, mine only squeaked when first driving but I agree a 50k car shouldnít be squeaking this bad

Old 11-03-2018, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dereileak View Post
My brakes were pretty squeaky too, my dealer agreed with me and replaced the front pads and greased some stuff and it seems to be fine now, I donít think they actually replaced the rotors, just the front pads, mine only squeaked when first driving but I agree a 50k car shouldnít be squeaking this bad

thanks so much for the feedback my dealership is telling me this is something that acura is investigating and that there is no fix for this issue right now i even reached out to customer relations for this issue and they have not given me an answer as of today what the next step is i have a 2019 aspec model which do you have that the squeaking was happening ?
Old 11-03-2018, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nyr726 View Post
thanks so much for the feedback my dealership is telling me this is something that acura is investigating and that there is no fix for this issue right now i even reached out to customer relations for this issue and they have not given me an answer as of today what the next step is i have a 2019 aspec model which do you have that the squeaking was happening ?
mine is the 19 aspec in apex blue, built in late September, idk if the brake pads are a perminate fix, I have had it for a few days without issues but the problem may come back, hopefully not
Old 11-03-2018, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

i hope it works out for you one more question was it happening in the cold and damp weather or all the time
Old 11-04-2018, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

i hope it works out for you one more question was it happening in the cold and damp weather or all the time
mine was just every morning when I started driving it and it would go away after driving for about 5-10 minutes I would say, it has been kinda cold out lately but it would happen really regardless
Old 11-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Believe I read in another thread from a user up in Canada that Acura/Honda is working on a TSB for it. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. You're lucky the dealership replaced your pads; all my dealer did was remove, grease, and sand down my rotors claiming the noise was normal. Granted this was a few months ago when the weather was warm so the brake squeal was not as loud as it is now that the weather is in the 40-50's. Let me know if the brake pad replacement resolved the noise for you.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Same brake issue with my A Spec. I also have a high pitch pulsating sound when I hit the brakes a little harder than usual.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

They are replacing all 4 corners (rotors + pads) per my Acura rep that I was working with. Funny thing is, my loaner A-Spec squeals as well, just not as much and goes away much quickly. So I have a feeling unless they update the parts number for the pads and/or rotors, the current version all make noises to a degree.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Ha ha, a recurring theme from Acura dealers: "That's normal, they are ALL like that"
Old 11-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

Mine started to squeal the past few days early in the morning for the first couple mins of braking. It is annoying that a brand new Acura brake squeals like an older model car.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

break squealing

update it's been about a week since I've had my rotors and pads replaced and I hate to say that they are still squealing not as bad as the previous set but still a slight squeal very dishearting that Acura can not fix this problem any suggestions I don't see just living with the slight squeal is an option at this point
Old 11-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Njbrandon View Post
Same brake issue with my A Spec. I also have a high pitch pulsating sound when I hit the brakes a little harder than usual.
I had the same issue alongwith slight squealing in mornings. Felt vibrations in steering and seats when braking at highway speeds going downhill. Dealer inspected and found both front rotors had excessive run out. So they resurfaced the rotors and it feels better now. I know brand new rotors should not need resurfacing but they mentioned they found it many new cars and even some the replacement rotors so they suggested resurfacing instead of replacement. I will monitor these for a while and if the issue still persists I will open a case with acura directly.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Finally had mine looked at. They will replace the rear pads and rotors next week because parts will come in late this week.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:24 PM

I have heard the brakes squeal on mine a few times but I live in Phoenix and itís dusty here which can cause brakes to squeal so I was thinking that was what was causing it. My 2010 Nissan Murano had squealing brakes and Nissan said itís not a problem, just dust.
But maybe with this car it is a problem.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

To those who had their dealerships "fix" this issue, where they able to remedy the problem?
Old 12-08-2018, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tabs31 View Post
To those who had their dealerships "fix" this issue, where they able to remedy the problem?
mine came back, the service director said Acura is working on a fix for this
Old 12-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Just had my rear brake pads and rotors replaced yesterday but the squeal was still there.

During the first drive this morning, I didn’t hear anything which I thought was gone; but when I went out for lunch, I could hear the squeal again.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:22 AM
Summer is Coming

Factories don't apply anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads. Dealerships may if you ask them. You may have to supply it. Or you can do it yourself.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:49 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rocket_man View Post
Factories don't apply anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads. Dealerships may if you ask them. You may have to supply it. Or you can do it yourself.
Agree but doesn't make any difference with the RDX brakes, they still squeal even if they have anti-squeal compound! I did it at home--> not working and went to the dealership to get it done and also not working!
Old 12-15-2018, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Read post #17
Old 12-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Same issue here everyone. Brakes squeel in the mornings very loud, but then goes away after 10 mins. Also squeel after the car is parked for an hour after a drive.
Hopefully acura will rectify the issue soon. It's pretty annoying to have a brand new car act like this. Lots of small issues with the car so far. Starting to lose faith in acura.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:18 PM

I have the same problem with the squealing brakes with the first few stops. I also seem to hear a little grinding once the squealing stop at low speed. Anyone else hearing the grinding noise.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Yupp. Mine does the same thing as your described. Dealership just changed my front pads and the squeeling is gone, but I still hear the grinding noise. Getting them checked out this week. Hopefully they just replace the rotors and it'll solve the issue.

Originally Posted by Mikeg040 View Post
I have the same problem with the squealing brakes with the first few stops. I also seem to hear a little grinding once the squealing stop at low speed. Anyone else hearing the grinding noise.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by stephensils View Post
Yupp. Mine does the same thing as your described. Dealership just changed my front pads and the squeeling is gone, but I still hear the grinding noise. Getting them checked out this week. Hopefully they just replace the rotors and it'll solve the issue.
Did the dealer mention what was the issue with original pads? Since the new pads should be same part number as original. Just wondering if replacement is a long term fix. Then again dealership would not just change pads without any reason.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:14 PM

had same problem

Originally Posted by nyr726
I've read a lot of threads on the 2019 RDX brake squealing in cold and wet weather I'm curious as to why nobody finds this as annoying as I do in a brand new high end vehicle is it the fact that the people saying dont worry about it live in a warmer climate to me it has become so bad that I'm questioning whether I made the right move buying this vehicle I always said Acura was the best running car I ever had until now I've tried to get the problem fixed and the dealership claimed there is no fix for it that it's under investigation which I'm sorry there's always a way to fix something anyone else having a concern on this topic please respond ive gone as far as contacting customer relations and still not getting anywhere with that I know people say let the brakes warm up and the squealing should stop but I've had plenty of new vehicles and never had this issue
i had this same problem with my 2019 rdx took it twice to get fixed although sometimes there is still a slight squeak i plan to mention it when i get my first oil change since itís a pita the go to the dealership. First time i took my brakes in they said they cleaned the pads there was dust or dirt on them. Still continued to happen so second time they told me they had to grind the rotors down, which kinda didnít sound good but they ensured it would be fine and now most of the noise is gone if not all. The guy said Acura was going to issue a bulletin on this it seemed like a known issue but idk he could have just been trying to make me feel better
Old 12-30-2018, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Mine also makes noise when it gets cold outside and by the time I get to the dealer it stops the noise. Had it checked twice now but no problems found. Waiting for it to get colder and stay that way all day then I will leave the RDX at the dealer and let them drive it when it is cold.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

If you all read more into this thread, you will see that Acura has stated that they are aware of the issue and that a "fix" is coming. What you are experiencing is a known issue and cannot be fixed "today" by replacing pads or rotors. I would just hang tight and await Acura's communication and TSB/Recall as going back to your dealer today is futile. Most of our guesses is that Acura will change the pad material but that is just a guess that some have mentioned. A rotor is a rotor so I can't imagine that being the issue but they may decide to replace both to resolve the issues many are facing. Being in the South, we have experienced the light sounding "grinding" but no squealing to date as we approach 4500 miles.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

I picked up my RDX 3 weeks ago with about 800 mileages on it. The temperature dropped below 40, the brakes squeal for the first 4-5 mins of driving.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:04 PM

I took my RDX to the dealer for this issue and they didn't even look at it. All they said is there is nothing they can do .they were going to contact the district manager to see if they will do anything. My guess they won't. Basically told me to deal with it and didn't know if there will be a fix anytime. They did not mention anything about a bulletin or anything like that .
Old 01-01-2019, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mikeg040 View Post
I took my RDX to the dealer for this issue and they didn't even look at it. All they said is there is nothing they can do .they were going to contact the district manager to see if they will do anything. My guess they won't. Basically told me to deal with it and didn't know if there will be a fix anytime. They did not mention anything about a bulletin or anything like that .
find a new dealer
Old 01-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

For what itís worth I was having the same issue everyone else was having with their brakes. After seeing no one got anywhere with their respective dealers I decided to take care of it myself. Went on rock auto.com and ordered new ceramic pads for $50 front and rear. Swapped them out and not only is there no squealing the pad feel is sooooo much better and car has more predictable stopping power now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stclark13 For This Useful Post:
securityguy (01-05-2019), subin (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Stclark13 ...the only possible explanation is the OEM pads so happy to hear you took care of the issue. Mine aren't squealing down here in FL so I'm going to hold out until Honda introduces the updated pads and replaced them for free.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

The pads were so pitted it was crazy. No joke probably 30+ pits on each pad. For me it was below 35 degrees the made noise but more importantly after a few high speed stops the pads felt like they werenít there....super scary and kind of crappy for a sporty suv. $50 and about 30 mins of work was well worth it.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Stclark13 View Post
The pads were so pitted it was crazy. No joke probably 30+ pits on each pad. For me it was below 35 degrees the made noise but more importantly after a few high speed stops the pads felt like they werenít there....super scary and kind of crappy for a sporty suv. $50 and about 30 mins of work was well worth it.
thatís good to hear, I figured it was the pads. Question regarding using aftermarket brake pads, are there any warranty issues with that? I would be fine swapping out my pads myself with some high performance ones, the squeeling hasnt been as bad lately but sometimes after sitting it has a few good stops where the squeeling sounds like Iím driving a city bus, then it goes away. Also do you have any pics of the old pads?
Old 01-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

I canít imagine a senario that aftermarket pads would void a brake warranty on anything other than the pads which have a warranty themselves anyway. Acura obviously knows they suck and wonít do anything about it. I refuse to keep going to a dealer and have no car for a day while nothing is actually fixed. I have 4K on my car and there was so much pad left on my stock pads I didnít even need to retract the caliper piston to put the new ones on so it was a super easy swap. No special tools needed.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dereileak View Post
Question regarding using aftermarket brake pads, are there any warranty issues with that?
You will have ZERO warranty issues using any aftermarket pad designed for the RDX so no worries there.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

The only time I've noticed squealing is early mornings / late fall. There is a layer of condensation on the rotors and a bit of surface rust. The brakes squeal and get extra grabby for the first few stops, then return to normal after the rust profile gets scrubbed off.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:17 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs View Post
The only time I've noticed squealing is early mornings / late fall. There is a layer of condensation on the rotors and a bit of surface rust. The brakes squeal and get extra grabby for the first few stops, then return to normal after the rust profile gets scrubbed off.
same - although I Park in a garage so I donít know about dew. i Get minor squeal backing out and the first stop at the end of the first road and the itís done.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:22 AM
Registered Member

So different brake pads fix the problem and Acura is still claiming they are working on it? Sounds about right. Based on this link, it looks like the brake pads have been revised already, so it might be worth going to the dealer and making sure you get the updated pads part number.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-pa...1hY3VyYQ%3D%3D
  • Part Number:45022-TJB-A01
  • Part:Pad Set, Front
  • Replaces:45022-TJB-A00

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brake squealing

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.