Brake squealing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 06:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Does Everyone Agree This Is Temperature Related?

I live in Toronto. When it was -20C last week the brakes squealed and squealed. When I parked underground at a hotel this week the RDX was at about 12C and there was no squeal when I departed.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:38 AM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Roters replaced

Originally Posted by nyr726
I've read a lot of threads on the 2019 RDX brake squealing in cold and wet weather I'm curious as to why nobody finds this as annoying as I do in a brand new high end vehicle is it the fact that the people saying dont worry about it live in a warmer climate to me it has become so bad that I'm questioning whether I made the right move buying this vehicle I always said Acura was the best running car I ever had until now I've tried to get the problem fixed and the dealership claimed there is no fix for it that it's under investigation which I'm sorry there's always a way to fix something anyone else having a concern on this topic please respond ive gone as far as contacting customer relations and still not getting anywhere with that I know people say let the brakes warm up and the squealing should stop but I've had plenty of new vehicles and never had this issue
My dealer replaced all four roters and the brakes have not squealed since. Was at the dealer yesterday for another issue with a seat and he told me that Acura has just changed their policy and will not replace any brakes or roters anymore for this issue and that the roters and brakes are high performance and they will squeak! Even the service manager was upset...he said 'who wants a 50k car with brakes that squeak?'.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my RDX to shop with less than 2,000 miles on it. They said brake problem has no fix at this time but ordered new pads & rotors as a "band-aid"
Old 01-26-2019, 06:40 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Changing the pads and rotors is not going to work. Talked with my service manager and service tech today while having my first A1 Service done. I was told that he could order replacement pads and rotors but that would not solve the problem and it would just be a temporary band aid. Also he says Acura is aware of the problem and they are in the process of coming up with a fix. As for a date he had no information. Me I'm just gonna wait for the fix they come up with then go from there. Hell yes its annoying but it only lasts for about 10 to 15 minutes then it goes away.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:16 AM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
My A-spec has been parked outside overnight in 20 degree weather for days and have NEVER had any brake noise at all.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:37 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Really?? Only on the cold days here in Va is when I get the squeal. When its warm no squeal and when after the brakes get warmed up no squeal. Lucky you.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2019 a spec. I noticed a lot of brake squealing when it is cold out. It is so god awful loud. I also was driving home one night when it sounded like I was dragging something aluminum along with me. The dust plate was rubbing on my rotors. That was something else. I thought ok that must have been a fluke. Nope happened again this weekend. I couldn't believe it. Will be calling the dealership. I wonder if the dust plate has something to do with the squealing The squealing brakes don't just squeal a little, its loud, annoying, and quite frankly embarrassing.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just want to share that I ordered new front brake pads for my RDX A-Spec to get rid of the squealing brakes in cold temps. Ordered from Rockauto, received them a week ago. I ordered Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic brake pads ($65 CDN shipped)
I wanted to do that for a long time but the RDX being a new model, nobody had aftermarket brake pads available until I found them at Rockauto. Acura Canada is still just waiting to resolve the problem......
I installed them and for a week now, no more noise! Absolutely quiet! And it's like really cold -20 degrees here in Montreal! Very happy about that, problem solved
The following users liked this post:
Audi2Acura (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey

Not sure if you saw my question to you in the other "brake squeal" thread (they should prob be combined by the mods). Thanks for the update. Good to know. I haven't had a chance to get the Centrics on yet due to the weather. Don't have room in the one car garage. Quick question. Did you use the pinch welds as the jack points? There is some composite covering on either side of the welds and I wanted to make sure the jack stands would be good to go, pushing up on either side of that weld. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2019, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandi Nagy
I have a 2019 a spec. I noticed a lot of brake squealing when it is cold out. It is so god awful loud. I also was driving home one night when it sounded like I was dragging something aluminum along with me. The dust plate was rubbing on my rotors. That was something else. I thought ok that must have been a fluke. Nope happened again this weekend. I couldn't believe it. Will be calling the dealership. I wonder if the dust plate has something to do with the squealing The squealing brakes don't just squeal a little, its loud, annoying, and quite frankly embarrassing.
Exact same thing here, I will bring up during my first service, which should be soon. Along with the annoying rattle by my passenger seat belt thingy in the pillar, as well as the annoying rattle coming from the back, could be the plastic under the cargo area, it's annoying as hell.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:36 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Marty790
Just want to share that I ordered new front brake pads for my RDX A-Spec to get rid of the squealing brakes in cold temps. Ordered from Rockauto, received them a week ago. I ordered Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic brake pads ($65 CDN shipped)
I wanted to do that for a long time but the RDX being a new model, nobody had aftermarket brake pads available until I found them at Rockauto. Acura Canada is still just waiting to resolve the problem......
I installed them and for a week now, no more noise! Absolutely quiet! And it's like really cold -20 degrees here in Montreal! Very happy about that, problem solved
It really is amazing to me that Acura either can't figure out new brake pads or simply doesn't care enough to provide this simple fix to buyers.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Audi2Acura
Hey

Not sure if you saw my question to you in the other "brake squeal" thread (they should prob be combined by the mods). Thanks for the update. Good to know. I haven't had a chance to get the Centrics on yet due to the weather. Don't have room in the one car garage. Quick question. Did you use the pinch welds as the jack points? There is some composite covering on either side of the welds and I wanted to make sure the jack stands would be good to go, pushing up on either side of that weld. Thanks!
i'm not sure what the pinch welds are....... but there is some place under the rocker panels where we are supposed to put the jack to lift the car, that's where I put my jack and everything is fine doing that!
Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil Onyschuk
Exact same thing here, I will bring up during my first service, which should be soon. Along with the annoying rattle by my passenger seat belt thingy in the pillar, as well as the annoying rattle coming from the back, could be the plastic under the cargo area, it's annoying as hell.
Assuming the spare tire is snugged up, the rattle from the back could be from the the plastic cargo cubby liner. I've had several Pilots and in each of them I pulled that darn thing out to install some kind of rubber sheet under it. It's a bit better isolated in our MDXs.

Also, make sure you have sufficient crap stashed in the cubby. With this arctic blast, maybe consider a blanket or two!

When I installed the hitch and wiring harness, I noticed some felt padding under the various plastic cubbys where they contact the vehicle, including the side "milk jug" cubby. From verbiage in Acura's vehicle specs, that my be unique to the Advance trim. That's something to think about adding to other trims.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:40 PM
Advanced

So...changed out the pads on the front. However, ran into what I believe is a Torx socket on the rear brakes. It was hard to gauge the size as they were facing away.

Anyone know the Torx socket size for the rear caliper bolts by chance?

Don’t own any so I will have to finish later. Thought I only needed a 14mm socket for all wheels. Not for the rear!!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Any additional thoughts on the Centrics since you’ve been driving a little while? Thanks.
No more squeal for me! I've been driving the car for 2 weeks and 700 miles in glacial temperatures (-15/-20 degrees) and it is now dead silent! Brake feel is the same as before. A $60 well invested!
subin (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Advanced

FYI. For those that might decide to change your own pads, the front caliper bolts take a 14mm Hex Socket. However, the rear calipers requires torx sockets (not sure what size). However, that's not the main issue. Acura has decided to introduce a caliper-integrated electronic braking system. Thus, unless you can squeeze the new pads in without any adjustment to the caliper , you are going to have to retract the caliper using an Electronic Brake Service Tool, which are rather pricey electronic gadgets. However, there might be a workaround, but i'm not sure what that might look like.
subin (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:44 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
FYI. For those that might decide to change your own pads, the front caliper bolts take a 14mm Hex Socket. However, the rear calipers requires torx sockets (not sure what size). However, that's not the main issue. Acura has decided to introduce a caliper-integrated electronic braking system. Thus, unless you can squeeze the new pads in without any adjustment to the caliper , you are going to have to retract the caliper using an Electronic Brake Service Tool, which are rather pricey electronic gadgets. However, there might be a workaround, but i'm not sure what that might look like.
Not sure if this applies to Acura but might be similar. I'm surprised Acura made the brakes more complicated.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Finally squeal free and the pads are much smoother. Did the fronts myself. Paid Acura to put on the rears since I don’t have a computer to retract the caliper piston. Oh well. Acura was actually cheaper than a few other shops. Had to pay since they are third party and techicaly not a warranty claim....yet (Acura stilling stalling on fix). Service rep told me to hold onto old pads and they MIGHT be able to do something for me if/when Acura deals with the issue. Worth it to me in the end to a large degree to not have to listen to the noise anymore.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by skarface
Not sure if this applies to Acura but might be similar. I'm surprised Acura made the brakes more complicated.

https://youtu.be/Ljq4ATPorXM
I have used this method for Acura rear calipers. The BMW caliper even uses the same size torx bits.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by BiOs2k
I share the same feeling. I've talk to the dealer for another problem and I remember him to call me asap when he got the final fix TSB about that brake noise.
I hope that as soon as the tsb is release people here gonna share the document so I can email him and request a appointment for fixing this. .... I'm embarrassed when I stop at a corner, luckly it's not the summer and no one is paying attention in cold winter.
My brakes squeak badly. Dealer grease the heck out of it and didn’t resolve the issue. I complain to the SA and told him don’t bother replacing the brake pads or rotors. He said Acura is aware of the issue and possibly issuing a fix soon. I am not holding my breath. I found that my brakes squeal regardless of temperature. This morning the temp was ~33F and it squeaks badly. I am embarrassed driving a $50k vehicle with brake noisier than my wife Accord. The soft brake is a joke but am getting used to now. When I drive my wife’s Accord I brake much harsher. I had a case with Acura and spoke with the regional manager. Hopefully a fix is coming soon.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by nick04tl
I have used this method for Acura rear calipers. The BMW caliper even uses the same size torx bits.
too bad they don’t simply have an option in the radio to pull them back with a click of a button 😪
Old 02-13-2019, 01:15 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dereileak

too bad they don’t simply have an option in the radio to pull them back with a click of a button 😪
Brake Squeal . We have the Platinum Elite one of the 1st got it last June. Took it on trip to Ottawa and had it once go into limp mode. Contacted my dealer in Moncton and they were very concerned . Said would arrange a appointment in Ottawa and a vehicle. We decided to continue on our trip and it did not happen again.
I also heard brake squeal that I thought may have been a stone I may have picked up. When we got home I took it to dealer could not find error for limp.

They checked brakes and it was coming from rear. So they cleaned but noise still there so they changed back rotors and pads and that did it. Every now and again I hear a slight noise when in reverse just after vehicle started . Which my MDX does so no issue.

A gteat dealer in Moncton. We have dealt there 16 years and whatever our vehicles need for warranty they do without question. My wife had TL . We bought the RDX was for all new safety equipment and the Platinum Elite got added noise cancellation , it is very quiet , the HUD and active suspension , power folding Mirrors which are great for parking in our Garage.

A great vehicle but but a learning curve when I 1st got it now I know now all about them.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:29 AM
1st Gear

Break issue

I've read a lot of threads on the 2019 RDX brake squealing in cold and wet weather I'm curious as to why nobody finds this as annoying as I do in a brand new high end vehicle is it the fact that the people saying dont worry about it live in a warmer climate to me it has become so bad that I'm questioning whether I made the right move buying this vehicle I always said Acura was the best running car I ever had until now I've tried to get the problem fixed and the dealership claimed there is no fix for it that it's under investigation which I'm sorry there's always a way to fix something anyone else having a concern on this topic please respond ive gone as far as contacting customer relations and still not getting anywhere with that
have rdx 19 2 weeks old had entertainment issue (note an update is now available for that issue) dealer did that. The brake issue is also now known but they have no eta on resolution. Dealer said they have replaced on cars full breaks and same issue. They are waiting on Acura
Old 02-16-2019, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I too had my front rotors and pads replaced but new ones also squeal. My dealer has mentioned it on the invoice that acura is aware of the squealing issue and is working on a fix. The cause they say is probably the new anc rotors with coating.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Advanced

It’s not the rotors. My aftermarket pads (Centric Posi-Quiets) are smoother and dead silent. It’s the crappy OEM Honda pads and whatever composite materials were utilized in their manufacture. Honda/Acura doesn’t want to take it in the shorts by having to toss warehouses full of pads so they are postponing doing anything, hoping too many people don’t complain. They are looking at the numbers before they eventually do something, if anything at all!!! The small cost to me was absolutely worth it. The alternative was to continue listening to the squeal everyday for who knows how long...Nope.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:27 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So...changed out the pads on the front. However, ran into what I believe is a Torx socket on the rear brakes. It was hard to gauge the size as they were facing away.

Anyone know the Torx socket size for the rear caliper bolts by chance?

Don’t own any so I will have to finish later. Thought I only needed a 14mm socket for all wheels. Not for the rear!!
There are plastic plugs you need to remove from the back of the caliper to access the caliper bolts. 7mm allen wrench or allen socket is needed to pull the caliper. Also 12mm socket or wrench (not allen) to remove the brake hose from the bracket that will allow you to rotate the caliper out of the way to replace the pads. I replaced my rear pads at 2500 miles (today) and did not need a tool to retract the rear piston. You can't just push the piston in with a C-clamp like the old days the rear caliper pistons need to rotate to push them back in because of electronic parking brakes. The tool may be available from Autozone tool rental if you have more than 2500 miles on your RDX. I mention 2500 mile because there was just enough clearance to reinstall the caliper of the new pads. I also used the Wagner Thermo's front and rears. Some videos mentioned scan tools can electronically reset the rear pistons but I don't know if that's true for the RDX.

I think you mentioned you took yours in for replacement but wanted to answer the question for others looking to do the job at home.
GW208 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:40 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stclark13
Thermo-quiet ceramics. My local advance auto parts only stocked the fronts but not the rears. I suppose if you get the part number from rock auto they could probably order them. Price was about the same as well.
Good call on the Wagners. Dropped right in. I picked up the fronts from Advance and 2 day shipped the rears from Oreilly.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
I have sent my complaints to Acura Customer Relation and a nice lady called me back three days later to reconfirm my concerns.
For the squeaky brake issue, her answer is the same as previous reports, "it is still under investigation".
Mine is not serious, but I figured that I put it on the list anyway.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

break squeal began at about 1500 miles. Dealer replaced pads and rotors. Six weeks later the squeal was back. Client relations said there is no current fix but their engineers are working on it. Dealer will not do anything as they are waiting for the "fix" to be communicated. The brake noise, which sounds similar to the alert when you put the car in reverse, continues. Cold weather, warm weather, it doesn't matter. Usually occurs when stopping on a decline. Does it affect stopping distance?
Old 03-08-2019, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Don’t feel too bad, going through Facebook comments for the new Audi Q5, lots of Audi customers are also complaining of having brake squeal

(in a cartman voice) oh I thought other brands didn’t have that issue and Acura was the only imperfect brand 😂😂😂 (sarcasm)

Also mine has gotten much worse now that I’m at 7400 miles, the squeal almost all the time now

Last edited by Dereileak; 03-08-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
It’s not the rotors. My aftermarket pads (Centric Posi-Quiets) are smoother and dead silent. It’s the crappy OEM Honda pads and whatever composite materials were utilized in their manufacture. Honda/Acura doesn’t want to take it in the shorts by having to toss warehouses full of pads so they are postponing doing anything, hoping too many people don’t complain. They are looking at the numbers before they eventually do something, if anything at all!!! The small cost to me was absolutely worth it. The alternative was to continue listening to the squeal everyday for who knows how long...Nope.
do you notice a firmer brake feel with the new pads?
Old 04-17-2019, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Want to update that I had my local dealer replace the stock pads with a full set of Wagner Thermo-quiet ceramics that was discussed in this thread. Along with the pads they also updated my vehicle with the recent TSB to adjust the brake booster for the soft brake pedal.

The difference is really night and day for me, these pads are dead silent when braking under all conditions. To me these pads also have more bite and show less fade than the OEM pads, but perhaps some of that have to do with the TSB that was performed as well. I'll report back if anything changes but my SA agrees with me that the OEM pads that Honda is using is most likely the culprit. I'm keeping the stock pads for when Honda/Acura do release a TSB/recall, and they will see if I can get reimbursed in some way down the road. I'm not holding my breath and just finally glad my car does not squeal when driving down my parking garage everyday at work.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by fr4c
Want to update that I had my local dealer replace the stock pads with a full set of Wagner Thermo-quiet ceramics that was discussed in this thread. Along with the pads they also updated my vehicle with the recent TSB to adjust the brake booster for the soft brake pedal.
What is the TSB number please? Mine goes in Saturday for the A1 service and I want to get this knocked out too. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
What is the TSB number please? Mine goes in Saturday for the A1 service and I want to get this knocked out too. Thanks!
See these:

TSB 19-022
TSBs

Also see my post #33 here: Soft Brake pedal

Last edited by JB in AZ; 04-17-2019 at 10:28 AM.
securityguy (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Note the Audi Q7 also has an issue with squeaky brakes, and Audi has been "working" on a fix for several years now. Similar complaints there about driving a $70k car that's embarrassing to drive because brakes squeak like a "junker". Audi also initially gave the explanation that they are "performance" brakes hence the squeak/squeal.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478
Note the Audi Q7 also has an issue with squeaky brakes, and Audi has been "working" on a fix for several years now. Similar complaints there about driving a $70k car that's embarrassing to drive because brakes squeak like a "junker". Audi also initially gave the explanation that they are "performance" brakes hence the squeak/squeal.
Yep...POOR PERFORMANCE brakes
ToniRDX19 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
See these:

TSB 19-022
TSBs

Also see my post #33 here: Soft Brake pedal
I called my dealer (who by the way, so far has been useless in regards to the brake squeal issue) and was told that my car is not eligible for this TSB even though my VIN is within the range. Has anyone else had problems with this? They said they would take a look and see if it "needs the update." I also asked them if I brought in new brake pads if they would replace them and their response was they would but it would void the warranty if Acura comes out with any solutions for the issue in the future.

We tried to put in a case with Acura Relations and was told that after they talked to the dealer, since the dealer said that the brake squeal was "normal" that they wouldn't do anything, and that I could reach out to a different dealer if I wanted a second opinion. Very frustrating for a brand new $50k vehicle. We still like it but we've been extremely disappointed in the dealership and Acura's handling of everything that has come up since purchase. I wish I had read through these threads before we decided to buy an Acura, never again...
ANJ (05-17-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Upstatedriver
I called my dealer (who by the way, so far has been useless in regards to the brake squeal issue) and was told that my car is not eligible for this TSB even though my VIN is within the range. Has anyone else had problems with this? They said they would take a look and see if it "needs the update." I also asked them if I brought in new brake pads if they would replace them and their response was they would but it would void the warranty if Acura comes out with any solutions for the issue in the future.

We tried to put in a case with Acura Relations and was told that after they talked to the dealer, since the dealer said that the brake squeal was "normal" that they wouldn't do anything, and that I could reach out to a different dealer if I wanted a second opinion. Very frustrating for a brand new $50k vehicle. We still like it but we've been extremely disappointed in the dealership and Acura's handling of everything that has come up since purchase. I wish I had read through these threads before we decided to buy an Acura, never again...
Find another Acura dealer. My vehicle VIN is within the range. Did the dealer say why they can’t apply the Software update? If you experience soft brakes or excessive pedal travels you it might have air in the system. That’s what happened to my vehicle. Dealer bleed the the whole system and I recently got them to apply the TSB software fix.

I don’t see how Acura could void the warranty if you swap out the pads. If there is a recall bring the OEM pads back. It’s garbage. I can’t drive around with a car cost almost $50k with squeaky brakes. How embarrassing!
Old 04-29-2019, 02:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
same boat here in Quebec, Canada.
pretty sure I will end up wear them completely and pay for replacement before Acura Canada decide to correct the situation.
It's not a no go for buying a RDX since you can have complete different problems on other cars but for sure it's a downer.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:35 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ToniRDX19
Find another Acura dealer. My vehicle VIN is within the range. Did the dealer say why they can’t apply the Software update? If you experience soft brakes or excessive pedal travels you it might have air in the system. That’s what happened to my vehicle. Dealer bleed the the whole system and I recently got them to apply the TSB software fix.

I don’t see how Acura could void the warranty if you swap out the pads. If there is a recall bring the OEM pads back. It’s garbage. I can’t drive around with a car cost almost $50k with squeaky brakes. How embarrassing!
They just said that when they looked up my VIN in their system, the TSB didn't come up as open for me. I asked to speak with the service manager who pulled up the TSB and agreed that mine WAS included, but couldn't explain why their system wasn't showing it. It's concerning because if that's the case for this one, who knows what else wouldn't "show up" when my car is brought in for service...

Quick Reply: Brake squealing