Auto Idle Stop not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 04:49 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto Idle Stop not working

Have had this car for only a week. The auto idle stop worked as it should for about two days. Now the green light never comes on and the idle stop does not kick in when stopped. Pressing the disable button will light the amber warning light on the dash. Now I don't remember if when we first got it if the green light was on all the time (unless manually disabled) or if it only came on when it kicked in? Having driven the vehicle 250 +/- since it last worked I would think after stopping 30 times or so it would have kicked in at least once? Seems like it stopped working totally.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:13 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
There are several settings that affect the operation of idle stop. Check your manual for more info. Also depends how hard you step on the brakes…light applications might not trigger it.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:41 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by markAZ
There are several settings that affect the operation of idle stop. Check your manual for more info. Also depends how hard you step on the brakes…light applications might not trigger it.
Thanks, I understand that, this is not the first vehicle we've owned with Idle Stop. My driving technique with the RDX has not changed, same roads, same traffic lights, same speeds. Worked normal for two days but since then It has stopped working for sure. Very strange.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Love our RDX
Thanks, I understand that, this is not the first vehicle we've owned with Idle Stop. My driving technique with the RDX has not changed, same roads, same traffic lights, same speeds. Worked normal for two days but since then It has stopped working for sure. Very strange.
Have you opened the hood with the engine running?
Serious question.
The following users liked this post:
DrWoo (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 06:55 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Serious question.
No, I have not.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
lMost likely reasons ……..One or more the parameters is not being met and was being met in your previous drives

■ Auto Idle Stop does not activate when:
• The Auto Idle Stop OFF button is pressed.
• The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• The engine coolant temperature is low or high.
• The transmission fluid temperature is low or high.
• The vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 3 mph (5
km/h) after the engine starts.
• Stopped on a steep incline.
• The transmission is in a position other than (D.
• The engine is started with the hood open.
u Turn off the engine. Close the hood before you restart the engine to activate Auto Idle Stop.
• The battery charge is low.
• The internal temperature of the battery is 14°F (−10°C). or less.
• The climate control system is in use, and the outside temperature is below −4°F
(−20°C) or over 104°F (40°C).
• The climate control system is in use, and the temperature is set to the Hi or Lo.
• is ON (indicator on).
• The dynamic mode is changed to Snow or Sport+ mode.
• The vehicle is stopped by braking suddenly.
• The steering wheel is operated.
• Altitude is high.
• Theclimatecontrolsystemisinuse,andthereisasignific antdifferencebetween the set temperature and the actual interior temperature.
• The climate control system is in use, and humidity in the interior is high.
The following 3 users liked this post by Showkey:
jglover (05-08-2022), rbbcpa (03-13-2022), TeeGeeChi (03-02-2024)
Old 03-13-2022, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Have had this car for only a week. The auto idle stop worked as it should for about two days. Now the green light never comes on and the idle stop does not kick in when stopped. Pressing the disable button will light the amber warning light on the dash. Now I don't remember if when we first got it if the green light was on all the time (unless manually disabled) or if it only came on when it kicked in? Having driven the vehicle 250 +/- since it last worked I would think after stopping 30 times or so it would have kicked in at least once? Seems like it stopped working totally.
I would suggest that there is nothing wrong with the auto idle stop, and that the criteria for it to come on aren’t being met. In the unlikely event there is an issue, you’ll be hard pressed to reproduce it for the dealership.

Last edited by rbbcpa; 03-13-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:25 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
The auto idle stop worked as it should for about two days. Now the green light never comes on and the idle stop does not kick in when stopped. .
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Serious question.
You told @JB in AZ that you had not opened the hood with the engine running, but if you had, it would cause the AIS to stop functioning as you have described.

If this was the cause you would have seen a message on the MID when you came to a stop similar to "Automatic Engine Stop Is Not Available".

Perhaps you opened the hood to show the engine to a friend, or to refill the windshield washer reservoir, etc., and it simply slipped your mind.

Regardless, the procedure to reset the AIS is very simple and I suggest you give it a try, just in case.

I actually used this procedure to disable my AIS, and only re-enabled it today to verify the procedure still works.

Procedure To Disable AIS
With the engine OFF, open the hood, start the car. With the engine running, close the hood. The auto stop function will not activate

Procedure To Enable AIS
With the car already running, OPEN the hood. Turn off the engine. CLOSE the hood. Auto stop now works as it should.

The following 6 users liked this post by RDX-Rick:
407Reagan (11-11-2023), Chipdull (03-25-2022), gary300 (03-20-2022), jglover (05-08-2022), markAZ (03-15-2022), rbbcpa (03-14-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-14-2022, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
You told @JB in AZ that you had not opened the hood with the engine running, but if you had, it would cause the AIS to stop functioning as you have described.

If this was the cause you would have seen a message on the MID when you came to a stop similar to "Automatic Engine Stop Is Not Available".

Perhaps you opened the hood to show the engine to a friend, or to refill the windshield washer reservoir, etc., and it simply slipped your mind.

Regardless, the procedure to reset the AIS is very simple and I suggest you give it a try, just in case.

I actually used this procedure to disable my AIS, and only re-enabled it today to verify the procedure still works.

Procedure To Disable AIS
With the engine OFF, open the hood, start the car. With the engine running, close the hood. The auto stop function will not activate

Procedure To Enable AIS
With the car already running, OPEN the hood. Turn off the engine. CLOSE the hood. Auto stop now works as it should.
Thank you! I don't currently have an RDX, but I know this was one of the conditions that many miss when they complain about idle stop NOT working.

IF it bothered me, and I had an RDX I might actually do this to disable it.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:55 PM
7th Gear

So I waited a couple of days to see if would keep working..............while out driving around Sunday the auto idle stop kicked in at almost every stop. We changed nothing and my driving habit (I tend to drive slow) did not change. The only change was the weather, Sunday was much colder here in SW Florida. Yesterday and today temps are warmer, yesterday and today the auto idle stop never kicked in. I don't get it?
Old 03-16-2022, 06:58 AM
Instructor

Not that complex……..weather change, one or more of the parameters is being met now vs prior.

Like…..
Theclimatecontrolsystemisinuse,andthereisasignific antdifferencebetween the set temperature and the actual interior temperature.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:44 PM
7th Gear

Wait, it only needs to meet one parameter to make it work? The only difference on Sunday the day it worked was it was colder. So we adjusted the temp controls a higher than usual. Hers at 76º and mine at 74º. Everything else was the same I believe. Monday, Tuesday and today it never came on once. Between the 3 days I probably stopped 30+ times. It was not humid on Sunday, in fact the opposite, it was on the dry side.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:40 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this issue transmissible? I would love to have my AIS stop working.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Wait, it only needs to meet one parameter to make it work? The only difference on Sunday the day it worked was it was colder. So we adjusted the temp controls a higher than usual. Hers at 76º and mine at 74º. Everything else was the same I believe. Monday, Tuesday and today it never came on once. Between the 3 days I probably stopped 30+ times. It was not humid on Sunday, in fact the opposite, it was on the dry side.

The parameters in post 6 cause the idle stop to stop working ……….Auto Idle Stop does not activate when:

Also note it’s the humidity inside the vehicle not outside.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by obeejr67
Is this issue transmissible? I would love to have my AIS stop working.
Start the engine while the hood is open.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My Auto Idle Stop hasn't worked since my RDX had the intercooler replaced in July of last year (limp mode issues). It's been at the dealership for the last week while they work with AHM to find out why it stopped working after that service visit last year.

Last edited by Baconsoup; 04-21-2022 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Let’s bring back idle stop and why it might stop working.🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

2021 with 21k miles. No issues…….but idle stopped working. 🤔Nobody complaining, my wife actually said ….don’t miss it.👍. But she did notice it was not working.

Tested the battery with an electronic battery tester after sitting over night 12.4 volts 823 SAE cold cranking passed as 650cca is the standard.
12.4 is slight low for resting voltage.
Trickle charged the battery over night.

Today……..idle stop is back ……..and……..the wife is pissed off.😡😡😡😡😡

Pretty easy to conclude and not a big jump to……..a slightly less than ideal resting battery voltage will stop idle stop. So be carefull what you ask for as other’s are willing to pay $100 for the idle stop stopper device.

Yes……there are several charts and different opinions on resting voltage as % of full charge:

Last edited by Showkey; 05-12-2022 at 12:27 PM.
MonTLhaG (04-26-2024)
Old 04-21-2023, 11:12 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Showkey
lMost likely reasons ……..One or more the parameters is not being met and was being met in your previous drives

■ Auto Idle Stop does not activate when:
• The Auto Idle Stop OFF button is pressed.
• The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• The engine coolant temperature is low or high.
• The transmission fluid temperature is low or high.
• The vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 3 mph (5
km/h) after the engine starts.
• Stopped on a steep incline.
• The transmission is in a position other than (D.
• The engine is started with the hood open.
u Turn off the engine. Close the hood before you restart the engine to activate Auto Idle Stop.
• The battery charge is low.
• The internal temperature of the battery is 14°F (−10°C). or less.
• The climate control system is in use, and the outside temperature is below −4°F
(−20°C) or over 104°F (40°C).
• The climate control system is in use, and the temperature is set to the Hi or Lo.
• is ON (indicator on).
• The dynamic mode is changed to Snow or Sport+ mode.
• The vehicle is stopped by braking suddenly.
• The steering wheel is operated.
• Altitude is high.
• Theclimatecontrolsystemisinuse,andthereisasignific antdifferencebetween the set temperature and the actual interior temperature.
This was happening with my 2019 RDX and I found I’m out it was when I had the A/C set to “Lo”. I bumped the temperature to 65 and the auto idle kicked back on. Thanks for the info
Old 04-21-2023, 12:18 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Sub'd
Old 04-21-2023, 03:01 PM
Pro

My AIS has not been working for over a year (see post #8 in this thread),which I was not upset with. I believe that I caused the no-operate condition with the hood open while starting engine procedure listed in the above checklist. Despite trying various combinations of hood being open/closed while staring the engine, the AIS normal operation never returned during that time period.

A few days ago I disconnected the battery for a completely unrelated reason, and when I reconnected the battery, the AIS unfortunately began working again.

If you really want your AIS to function, then taking 5 minutes of your time, and nothing more than a socket or an adjustable wrench, then I suggest you try this method.

Disconnect the battery for several minutes, and then reconnect it. Before doing that you should be aware that it may take several attempts at cranking before the engine will start. In hindsight, the delayed starting may be because I had not given the various computer enough time to fully reboot. You will also find that the estimated distance before empty (fuel tank) will show a very high estimate whenever the tank is refilled. It will take several refills until that estimate returns to a normally expected value. You will also see a message on the infotainment screen that it has been locked. Follow the message on the screen, and push and hold the on/off button for a few seconds to unlock it.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 04-21-2023 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2023, 04:19 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Congratulations
Old 04-30-2023, 09:31 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts

Procedure To Disable AIS

Procedure To Enable AIS
I tried the disable AIS procedure on my 2022 but it didn’t work. AIS was still working.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:16 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
I tried the disable AIS procedure on my 2022 but it didn’t work. AIS was still working.
Yes, I tried that procedure on our 2020 RDX and it didn't work either. If AIS isn't working it's because of something else, most likely not a fully charged battery.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ross7777
Originally Posted by GW208
Yes, I tried that procedure on our 2020 RDX and it didn't work either. If AIS isn't working it's because of something else, most likely not a fully charged battery.
I think you both want a different thing.

@ross7777 is trying to disable AIS from activating, by using the open and close hood method. I'm sure this worked for me a couple of years ago, but failed to work again when I tried more recently. Perhaps a firmware update caused that to change.

@GW208 is trying to get AIS working again. As I mentioned in post #20, AIS had not worked on my 2020 for over a year. Disconnecting, and then reconnecting the battery, has resulted in AIS working normally for the last 2 weeks.

Edit: I can no longer update post #20, but I found an article that may help in the delayed engine start after disconnecting the battery.
Apparently the immobilizer can go into PDI mode (the state the car is in when it is delivered to the dealer) when the battery is disconnected.
To take the car out of PDI mode......
Feet off the pedals, push the start button twice to get into run mode, with the cluster gauges on. Vigorously press the brake pedal, & then release, repeat brake pedal & release one more time. Feet off the pedals, press the start button once to turn the gauges off. Put your foot on the brake pedal & push the start button to start the car, as you normally would.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 05-01-2023 at 09:30 AM.
GW208 (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 08:03 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
I think you both want a different thing.

@GW208 is trying to get AIS working again. As I mentioned in post #20, AIS had not worked on my 2020 for over a year. Disconnecting, and then reconnecting the battery, has resulted in AIS working normally for the last 2 weeks.
No, I would prefer not to have AIS working.
I tried the hood open, engine start trick back in 2020 sometime and it did work for the first 3 or 4 stoplights where I would have expected the engine to stop. By the 5th stoplight though, AIS was back to activating normally again.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:30 PM
Retired Geezer

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts
My wife’s 2016 MDX has a menu setting choice to turn AIS off at source. I’ve gotten use to AIS being always on with my 2020 RDX. It’s now 2nd nature for me to turn AIS off when I approach the stop sign at the end of my road.