2019 RDX Issues and Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 06:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I must be missing something here. You traded your 2019 RDX in because the dealer found and fixed a rattle, and you were disappointed that a brand new car had "such major problems" A rattle is a major problem, even after the dealer resolved it? OK, What am I missing here?
I never called it a "rattle"..... It was a lot more involved including the base of the windshield and the frame. That is why i did not provide any details on the work they did, and said to call the Service Department directly.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:01 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by pgeorg
I never called it a "rattle"..... It was a lot more involved including the base of the windshield and the frame. That is why i did not provide any details on the work they did, and said to call the Service Department directly.
Well, to be fair, you DID say "I had bought a 2019 RDX when they first came out and it had the same exact problem, from the first day I drove it off the lot." in replying to RRBUDDY18View Post who wrote:

I have the rattling noise coming from the heads-up display "area" on the dash,
meaning the sunken down / recessed hole on the dash where the windshield
display originates from. It's quite noticeable over small or large bumps, and
louder when it's cold outside. I noticed that it goes away 90% if I warm the
dash by blowing hot air onto the windshield (defogger setting). I think the
rattling might be coming from the clear plastic piece covering the display,
but because of its location, it's hard to test my theory -- trying to drive
and push down on the plastic piece at the same time -- to see if that
plastic piece needs to be secured better. As with many other posts,
and other issues that I have, I am somewhat disappointed with this car.

AND bkpky1234 who wrote:
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem. Only happens in winter or cold temperatures. I have taken to two dealers and both cannot replicate. It is driving me crazy!

A normal person would read your comment to mean you also had rattle(s) and were so upset by it that you traded your RDX in, yet you also said your dealer was able to fix it.

I am sorry, but you are not making your point very clear.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 01-06-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, to be fair, you DID say "I had bought a 2019 RDX when they first came out and it had the same exact problem, from the first day I drove it off the lot." in replying to RRBUDDY18View Post who wrote:

AND bkpky1234 who wrote:
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem. Only happens in winter or cold temperatures. I have taken to two dealers and both cannot replicate. It is driving me crazy!

A normal person would read your comment to mean you also had rattle(s) and were so upset by it that you traded your RDX in, yet you also said your dealer was able to fix it.

Actually my point here was that whoever would like to get this resolved, they should call my dealers Service Department for the relevant info.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by pgeorg
Actually my point here was that whoever would like to get this resolved, they should call my dealers Service Department for the relevant info.
Im with JB on this one, I also thought your point was that you traded your car in over a rattle.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

AND bkpky1234 who wrote:

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Im with JB on this one, I also thought your point was that you traded your car in over a rattle.
Ok.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:54 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by subin
The clunking sound on mine comes from above the cargo area. Some of the owners have the squeaky noise that comes from suspensions (mine stopped after the raining season a few weeks ago). I also have clicking sound coming from the rear passenger side interior light and was able to duplicated it by pounding lightly on the headliner around that area, dealer replaced the entire light and that fixed the issue. I also have clicking sound coming from the headrest on the front passenger seat when going through rough road surface, which I thought was coming from the ceiling speakers. For this, I just retracted the headrest back and that kind of took care of that.
For the clunking sound, I am just going to wait until the next (first) service visit to have the dealer look at it again.
I am now going into 3rd year of the 2019 RDX ownership, surprisingly, the clunking noise from above the cargo area while turning into drive way at low speed and going over speed bumps are no longer noticeable. The clicking sound from the headrest has been repaired by the dealership.
in mid 2020, the sunglasses holder area started squeaking while turning into drive way at low speed and the dealership fixed that as well by adding some foam pads. The sunglasses holder still squeaks when opening it while the RDX sat under a hot sun for a long period of time (dealer replaced it once already).
Old 03-10-2021, 11:57 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you had the rattles addressed? if so which dealer repaired them?
Thanks
Old 03-10-2021, 11:58 AM
10th Gear

Have had any of your issues addressed? if so who repaired it?
Thanks
Old 03-10-2021, 07:30 PM
10th Gear

Sorry everyone for my errant message, they where supposed to be private questions Oops!
Old 03-12-2021, 11:17 AM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I should have been reading this back in 2018-19 when my RDX was new and I had the loud sunroof rattle that others experienced. The dealer worked on it and I think they made it worse. Eventually I cut a couple small pieces of foam pipe insulation and jammed it between the sunroof and the wind deflector on both sides. That stopped the rattle but meant I could no longer open the sunroof. Eventually (after a couple months) I removed the foam and the rattle was still gone. Now, two years later the problem hasn’t returned. I guess I bent something with the foam that fixed the rattle but I don’t really know exactly how it worked. But I’m not complaining.

Now I have a vibration at 70+ Mph that I experience in the driver’s seat and lower back. It is definitely speed sensitive and independent of the road texture. Had the tires aligned and balanced three times but that didn’t help. So far I’ve not been able to diagnose the cause and the dealer hasn’t been helpful other than wanting to charge me to balance the tires a fourth time. Not gonna happen.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19-'21 RDX Issue Updates

Here are some updates that all of us RDX (’19 – ’21) owners are having issues with: hope this helps.
  1. Dashboard rattling by HUD: Tech said during manufacturing foam was never inserted in-between the inner layers of the HUD display and the main frame, and some clips missing. He took the dash apart, which comes in 4 pieces to get deep into the front of the car to fix. Took about a week to take apart the dash. So far this issue is finally fixed after 4 attempts. The techs are starting to get more complaints, and they are communicating through their tech boards.
  2. He did SB: 21-003 sunroof clicking: adjusted the frame arm. Seems to be fine.
  3. Now the constant issue most of us have is the popping sound when driving up and down curbs at angles. This occurs upper left back end of the car: He said all ’19 – ’21 RDX’s have that popping sound. I guess Acura got enough complaints that supposably they are trying to come up with a fix. Service tech thinks its 2 pieces of metal rubbing back and forth. So unfortunately we still have to deal with the popping sound. Ugh.
  4. Exploding sunroofs: ’19-’20 RDX’s: there is a class action lawsuit with this firm: Class Sauder Schelkopf LLC . which I filed with because the ’20 RDX loaner I had, the sunroof exploded while driving with no other cars around, and fortunately I had the shade closed or I would have had glass all over me. Should be a defect and covered under the manufacturer’s warranty. But of course Acura wants me to pay for it. https://www.sauderschelkopf.com/inve...investigation/
Attached Files