2019 RDX Issues and Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cengel
I have the same rattles from the dash. It's like there is something loose in the driver's side a-pillar or dash near the windshield. Very annoying.
i have the exact same problem. the dealer tried to fix by stuffing foam down the dash (right??) that did nothing.

Waiting to take the car back for warranty work to address this and the rattle from tailgate area.

Not sure if it is 100% due to USA build, but quality is sh*t in this car
Old 07-12-2019, 09:21 AM
2nd Gear

2020 RDX concerned potential buyer

Having been a 2005 Acura MDX owner I naturally figured that buying a new RDX would be an easy decision. But after reading all the posts and concerns regarding the infotainment system I am having second thoughts. The Acura salesperson said that they pushed through a new update back in December 2018 which fixed many of the problems re infotainment system. Are any of you guys still experiencing infotainment glitch issues? I’m new to the board so any inquiries would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 60424621
Having been a 2005 Acura MDX owner I naturally figured that buying a new RDX would be an easy decision. But after reading all the posts and concerns regarding the infotainment system I am having second thoughts. The Acura salesperson said that they pushed through a new update back in December 2018 which fixed many of the problems re infotainment system. Are any of you guys still experiencing infotainment glitch issues? I’m new to the board so any inquiries would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
RE:infotainment. Mine is not bad at all (build Feb 2019), apple car play still off-and-on connectivity, but everything else works ok. NAV is not the best, better to use maps on iphone, if car play is working. Boot up time not bad, about one minute.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:49 AM
2nd Gear

Thank you!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 60424621
Thank you!
IMHO...i would wait on the RDX. i have owned 4 Acura's previously (still have our 2014 MDX) those were all WONDERFUL issue free vehicles. Loved them all.
The 3rd generation RDX has many issues I feel Acura has to sort out...especially at their price point. I Have the SH AWD Advance, and the stereo, seats, and HUD, AWD are great. But the engine, transmission, and rattling issues of the car I am most disappointed in. For nearly $50k , way over priced. Again, my opinion. I would give it another year if you can wait.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:26 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dash Rattles 2019 RDX Advance

To those of you experiencing dash rattles on the driver's side... I took my vehicle to the dealer and met with the factory service rep...I had attempted to fix the rattles by jamming insulation foam from the a pillar to the edge of the hud cover. While it did help it did not completely address the rattles. The Acura factory rep had the technician disassemble the dash. Here is what he discovered:
1. Loose dashboard mounting bolts
2. The cover to the HUD rubbing against the windshield

They are in the process of putting everything back together and are going to quality control it this evening and again tomorrow morning... hopefully this will fix the issue. I will report back tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:34 AM
3rd Gear

Driver side dash rattles

Received my RDX back today dash rattle free. Here is the repair summary as reported to Acura:

There were loose Dash mounting bolts on the driver side. Additionally the dash frame was rubbing against the HUD display. EPT foam tape and wool felt were applied to both bridges on HUD unit and area of the dash frame where they meet. Additionally all dash mounting bolts were checked to make sure they were tight prior to reassembly.

This repair fixed the problem. It was an intensive repair that required complete disassembly of the dash and console removal, but was well worth leaving the vehicle overnight and getting a service loaner.
The following users liked this post:
subin (07-31-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Cruisin'

Same problems as others here with vibration and knocking noises.

I bought my base model 2019 RDX about 2 months ago. From the first day it made the noises this thread is about (see # 1 and 2). I finally have time to take it into service. I have about 200 miles on it. This is the summary that I'm going to give them. Obviously, the first two items are most important. I'm pretty unhappy with the rickety feel of this car. Never had an Acura before. Besides the noises, I really like the car. FYI, I know very little about cars. (Made this list so I don't forget anything when I take it in).

1. Noise: Front headliner. Vibration noise on rougher roads. You can re-create noise by bumping headliner with hand, (directly behind “sunglass" storage compartment).

2. Noise: Roof creaking (knocking) noise as car flexes on incline turns or harder turns.

Example: Turning into shopping plaza. Railroad tracks. Etc. (Not exactly sure where noise is coming from. Seems sunroof related.)

3. Noise from front side windows. Loud snap when you start to lower windows, as window separates from seal at top. As if the rubber seal is sticky.

4. Friction – driver’s side window

Sometimes window “drags” unsmoothly at the bottom as it lowers.

5. Noise – driver’s side armrest.

Armrest sometimes makes crinkly noise when elbow is resting on it.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:35 PM
Cruisin'

Correction. I didn't buy it. I'm leasing it for 3 years.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Cruisin'

Question: I leased it from an Acura dealership that's about 30 minutes away (1 hour away in heavy LA traffic). There is an Acura dealership just down the street from me, very convenient. But would I get better and more sympathetic "treatment" from the dealership I'm leasing it from? Is it worth the inconvenience to drive out there? My salesperson seems like a good guy.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:07 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Sunday
Question: I leased it from an Acura dealership that's about 30 minutes away (1 hour away in heavy LA traffic). There is an Acura dealership just down the street from me, very convenient. But would I get better and more sympathetic "treatment" from the dealership I'm leasing it from? Is it worth the inconvenience to drive out there? My salesperson seems like a good guy.
Sales and service are two totally different and separate departments. Any Acura service dept. can and will do your warranty work.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:02 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for responding JB. Good to know that. Saves me a long drive in LA traffic.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking My Solution to my 2019 RDX problems:

Originally Posted by Captain Sunday
I bought my base model 2019 RDX about 2 months ago. From the first day it made the noises this thread is about (see # 1 and 2). I finally have time to take it into service. I have about 200 miles on it. This is the summary that I'm going to give them. Obviously, the first two items are most important. I'm pretty unhappy with the rickety feel of this car. Never had an Acura before. Besides the noises, I really like the car. FYI, I know very little about cars. (Made this list so I don't forget anything when I take it in).

1. Noise: Front headliner. Vibration noise on rougher roads. You can re-create noise by bumping headliner with hand, (directly behind “sunglass" storage compartment).

2. Noise: Roof creaking (knocking) noise as car flexes on incline turns or harder turns.

Example: Turning into shopping plaza. Railroad tracks. Etc. (Not exactly sure where noise is coming from. Seems sunroof related.)

3. Noise from front side windows. Loud snap when you start to lower windows, as window separates from seal at top. As if the rubber seal is sticky.

4. Friction – driver’s side window

Sometimes window “drags” unsmoothly at the bottom as it lowers.

5. Noise – driver’s side armrest.

Armrest sometimes makes crinkly noise when elbow is resting on it.
I traded that POS for a 2019 Ford Edge Titanium Platinum White. More room, same tech features, better gas mileage and Car and Driver crossover of the year two years in a row. Good to those having issues.
Captain Sunday (12-06-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 01:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by van mccarty
Boot up time not bad, about one minute.
Wait, it takes 1 minute for the infotainment system to boot up? That sounds terrible to me.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Wait, it takes 1 minute for the infotainment system to boot up? That sounds terrible to me.
Yup! It's absolutely ridiculous!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:59 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Courtesy of being designed using Android...
Old 09-09-2019, 05:39 PM
Intermediate

Good to know, my dash rattles around the HUD area as well. Although im still fighting with Acura regarding the knock noise near the hatch area when turning left down my driveway, or a shopping driveway with a lip. They can't seem to fix it, but they know it exists. Currently, applied for Texas Lemon Law.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by altayar
Good to know, my dash rattles around the HUD area as well. Although im still fighting with Acura regarding the knock noise near the hatch area when turning left down my driveway, or a shopping driveway with a lip. They can't seem to fix it, but they know it exists. Currently, applied for Texas Lemon Law.
Good luck with that.

To be considered as a lemon in Texas, all of the following conditions must be met:

1. The vehicle has a serious defect or abnormal condition.
  2. The defect or condition is covered by a manufacturer’s written warranty.
  3. The owner reports the defect or condition to the dealer or manufacturer within the warranty term.
  4. The owner gives the dealer or manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defect or condition.
  5. The owner gives the manufacturer (preferably by certified mail) written notice of the defect and at least one opportunity for repair.
  6. The defect or condition persists and substantially impairs the vehicle’s use or market value, or creates a serious safety hazard.
  7. The owner files a timely Lemon Law complaint and pays the filing fee.
I honestly don't believe the Texas lemon law will help you with a "knock noise near the hatch area".

You might have better luck going through the National Center for Dispute Settlement, but even then the odds aren't in your favor. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
Good luck with that.

To be considered as a lemon in Texas, all of the following conditions must be met:
  1. The vehicle has a serious defect or abnormal condition.
  2. The defect or condition is covered by a manufacturer’s written warranty.
  3. The owner reports the defect or condition to the dealer or manufacturer within the warranty term.
  4. The owner gives the dealer or manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defect or condition.
  5. The owner gives the manufacturer (preferably by certified mail) written notice of the defect and at least one opportunity for repair.
  6. The defect or condition persists and substantially impairs the vehicle’s use or market value, or creates a serious safety hazard.
  7. The owner files a timely Lemon Law complaint and pays the filing fee.
I honestly don't believe the Texas lemon law will help you with a "knock noise near the hatch area".

You might have better luck going through the National Center for Dispute Settlement, but even then the odds aren't in your favor. I hope I'm wrong.
trying to use small noises as a reason for lemon law is just ridiculous in my opinion
Old 09-10-2019, 06:22 AM
Intermediate

Exactly, its your opinion. Maybe you should keep your options to yourself. Loud pop noises that happens every day, is not normal. Clearly if you read some of the other posts below, others have the same issue.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by altayar
Exactly, its your opinion. Maybe you should keep your options to yourself. Loud pop noises that happens every day, is not normal. Clearly if you read some of the other posts below, others have the same issue.
Opinions are not only welcome, but they are a major component supporting the existence of these forums. Not everyone will have the same opinion as you, but that doesn't mean they should be silenced.
The following 3 users liked this post by zroger73:
hockeyaddict (09-10-2019), Jay6 (01-31-2022), markm929 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Opinions are not only welcome, but they are a major component supporting the existence of these forums. Not everyone will have the same opinion as you, but that doesn't mean they should be silenced.
Ditto
Old 09-18-2019, 03:41 PM
9th Gear

So I went to the dealership and the technician heard all of the issues I had with the car, but they were only able to fix the sunroof issue. All the noises they heard from the rear shocks and the front console, they deemed as "normal issues". On top of that, I called Acura Customer Service and the representative said they would have to follow the local dealership diagnoses. So pretty much, they would not fix the issues even though there is a service bulletin out for some of the issues I listed.

Have anyone else get denied repairs for these noises? Or what would you recommend for the next step going forward? Any information would be great.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rdx87
Or what would you recommend for the next step going forward? Any information would be great.
1. Take it to another dealer and have them try to fix the other noises.
2. Open a case with the National Center for Dispute Settlement.
3. Live with the other noises.
4. Sell the vehicle.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rdx87
So I went to the dealership and the technician heard all of the issues I had with the car, but they were only able to fix the sunroof issue. All the noises they heard from the rear shocks and the front console, they deemed as "normal issues". On top of that, I called Acura Customer Service and the representative said they would have to follow the local dealership diagnoses. So pretty much, they would not fix the issues even though there is a service bulletin out for some of the issues I listed.

Have anyone else get denied repairs for these noises? Or what would you recommend for the next step going forward? Any information would be great.
Go to another dealership, and if you still can't get your issues resolved, be like me and vote with your wallet by not buy another Honda/Acura product until they stop acting like a bush-league operation.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:17 PM
9th Gear

Yeah, tell me about it. They seem to not acknowledge the issues that many drivers are experiencing, which is very irritating. Based on this experience, this will be my last time purchasing any Acura/Honda vehicles going forward.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Go to another dealership, and if you still can't get your issues resolved, be like me and vote with your wallet by not buy another Honda/Acura product until they stop acting like a bush-league operation.
I just have to ask, do you own a fiat???
Old 09-18-2019, 07:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dereileak
I just have to ask, do you own a fiat???
Actually I do, although my username is latin and has nothing to do with FCA.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:00 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Actually I do, although my username is latin and has nothing to do with FCA.
Does the letter combination "lux" refer to the light output of LED bulbs you have added?
Old 09-18-2019, 09:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
Does the letter combination "lux" refer to the light output of LED bulbs you have added?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fiat_lux
Old 09-19-2019, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
I only broke my "rule" one time and I regretted doing so......my rule: NEVER EVER BUY A "RE-DESIGNED" CAR THE FIRST YEAR IT'S PRODUCED!!!
Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
I only broke my "rule" one time and I regretted doing so......my rule: NEVER EVER BUY A "RE-DESIGNED" CAR THE FIRST YEAR IT'S PRODUCED!!!
Well in this case year two wouldn't make a difference either. I have to say that I broke this rule again buying this car. So far I have no regrets.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:24 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo
The only rattle I've noticed is in the driver's side a-pillar also. It's only on bumpy roads, but the dealer is replacing the cover and clips. They duplicated it, they think it's a broken clip. Part arrived this morning, just have to get in to have it replaced.

Other than that, I find the interior very solid over bumpy roads.
I have this too with just over 2k miles on the clock. Seems like it's coming from both A-pillars and it really only happens when the car "warms up." I guess as the body flexes more from driving, the issue starts coming up. It's intermittent too, so knowing your typical dealer, "couldn't replicate issue." I'm surprised your dealer is standing by the product. Did the new cover and clips resolve the issue?
Old 12-27-2019, 09:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have multiple rattles emanating from the front dash/ pillar area and from the infotainment area. Rattles are THE most annoying thing to me in any vehicle. The RDX exacerbates it because it is so quiet inside otherwise.
zroger73 (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I dont find that RDX rattles any more than other cars
Old 12-27-2019, 04:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by russianDude
I dont find that RDX rattles any more than other cars
I don't find that it rattles less than a $15,000 Ford Fiesta, either.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I don't find that it rattles less than a $15,000 Ford Fiesta, either.
in the same class
Old 01-02-2021, 09:26 AM
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RRBUDDY18
I have the rattling noise coming from the heads-up display "area" on the dash,
meaning the sunken down / recessed hole on the dash where the windshield
display originates from. It's quite noticeable over small or large bumps, and
louder when it's cold outside. I noticed that it goes away 90% if I warm the
dash by blowing hot air onto the windshield (defogger setting). I think the
rattling might be coming from the clear plastic piece covering the display,
but because of its location, it's hard to test my theory -- trying to drive
and push down on the plastic piece at the same time -- to see if that
plastic piece needs to be secured better. As with many other posts,
and other issues that I have, I am somewhat disappointed with this car.
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem. Only happens in winter or cold temperatures. I have taken to two dealers and both cannot replicate. It is driving me crazy!
Old 01-05-2021, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 748 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by bkpky1234
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem. Only happens in winter or cold temperatures. I have taken to two dealers and both cannot replicate. It is driving me crazy!
Hi,

I had bought a 2019 RDX when they first came out and it had the same exact problem, from the first day I drove it off the lot. My dealer found what the problem was. I traded the RDX in at that time, because I was very disappointed with a brand new car having such major problems. My service department is EXCELLENT, and maybe you should give them a call......

Prime Acura Westwood, in Westwood MA. https://www.primeacurawestwood.com

Hope this helps.

Peter
Old 01-05-2021, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by pgeorg
Hi,

I had bought a 2019 RDX when they first came out and it had the same exact problem, from the first day I drove it off the lot. My dealer found what the problem was. I traded the RDX in at that time, because I was very disappointed with a brand new car having such major problems. My service department is EXCELLENT, and maybe you should give them a call......

Prime Acura Westwood, in Westwood MA. https://www.primeacurawestwood.com

Hope this helps.

Peter
I must be missing something here. You traded your 2019 RDX in because the dealer found and fixed a rattle, and you were disappointed that a brand new car had "such major problems" A rattle is a major problem, even after the dealer resolved it? OK, What am I missing here?
GW208 (01-05-2021)

Quick Reply: 2019 RDX Issues and Rattles