Advice for cross bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 06:49 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
Post Advice for cross bars

I just received/installed my cross bars yesterday and wanted to share some points.
  • The roof rack is made by Thule and includes a keyed lock at each of the four attachment points.
  • I was told by an REI employee that Thule has about 50 unique lock cores to improve the security of their locks. An ID is printed somewhere on the lock in case you ever need to order more keys.
  • IMPORTANT: The locks that came with my cross bars have the ID printed on the face of the lock cores next to where you insert the key. This reveals the kind of lock you have. Any determined thief can now order a key from Thule using that ID and remove your cross bars along with anything attached to them. Think neighbors, coworkers, anyone you cross paths with in places you frequently park your car. Sure it will still deter casual thieves, but let's be real here. You paid good money for your equipment on your roof. Keep it secure!
    • Thule has since relocated the lock IDs to a more discreet location on newer lock cores. I doubt Acura will upgrade to these. You can buy new cores from Thule but they are pricey.
    • My solution: Make note of the ID and grind it off.
  • One of my concerns was wind noise. I don't notice any! Very happy about this.
  • The cross bars have a T-track (required for some attachments but most just clamp around the cross bar). Remove the rubber insert on top of the cross bar to access the T-track.

Hope some of you find this information useful!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mustachio:
AZ4035 (09-10-2019), subin (05-24-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 12:15 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Any determined thief can drill out those locks cores in less time than I spent reading your post. They are a mild deterrent against the casual thief, visible IDs or otherwise.

Heck, any dedicated bike thief these days has a rechargeable angle grinder that could go right through the crossbars or accessory attachments in a few minutes. Why would they mess with keys?

Bottom line: don't leave expensive stuff displayed on a rack, especially overnight. Get it out of view: in a box or inside a structure.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Expanse me

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustachio
I just received/installed my cross bars yesterday and wanted to share some points.
  • The roof rack is made by Thule and includes a keyed lock at each of the four attachment points.
  • I was told by an REI employee that Thule has about 50 unique lock cores to improve the security of their locks. An ID is printed somewhere on the lock in case you ever need to order more keys.
  • IMPORTANT: The locks that came with my cross bars have the ID printed on the face of the lock cores next to where you insert the key. This reveals the kind of lock you have. Any determined thief can now order a key from Thule using that ID and remove your cross bars along with anything attached to them. Think neighbors, coworkers, anyone you cross paths with in places you frequently park your car. Sure it will still deter casual thieves, but let's be real here. You paid good money for your equipment on your roof. Keep it secure!
    • Thule has since relocated the lock IDs to a more discreet location on newer lock cores. I doubt Acura will upgrade to these. You can buy new cores from Thule but they are pricey.
    • My solution: Make note of the ID and grind it off.
  • One of my concerns was wind noise. I don't notice any! Very happy about this.
  • The cross bars have a T-track (required for some attachments but most just clamp around the cross bar). Remove the rubber insert on top of the cross bar to access the T-track.

Hope some of you find this information useful!
Good info thx. I got the crossbars put on as soon as I bought the vehicle. I can hear the wind noise just fine. I was thinking of relocating one of the anc mics in the back to angle it up so it 'hears' the noise...
Old 09-07-2019, 01:19 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Funz51
Good info thx. I got the crossbars put on as soon as I bought the vehicle. I can hear the wind noise just fine. I was thinking of relocating one of the anc mics in the back to angle it up so it 'hears' the noise...
Note that there are two possible positions for the front crossbar. ( Two sets of mounting holes ). The more forward position will have more wind noise.

The good news is that it's pretty quick and easy to mount/dismount the crossbars upon demand.
The following users liked this post:
markm929 (09-30-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 11:28 AM
Expanse me

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Note that there are two possible positions for the front crossbar. ( Two sets of mounting holes ). The more forward position will have more wind noise.

The good news is that it's pretty quick and easy to mount/dismount the crossbars upon demand.
mine are mounted the farthest away, as you stated, still hear wind clearly.