USB some files won't play

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
USB some files won't play

I have many files on a usb stick, many play fine, but some do not. The ones that play are mostly .m4a (alaf I think), 128 kbps or 192 kbps. (and file sizes around 4 MB or 6 MB)
Most (if not all) of the ones that do not are also ,m4a but at 600-900 kbps bitrates, and correspondingly larger file sizes (20-30 MB).
Is there a limit to either bitrate or file size? and if so, what is the best way to downsize the files? If not, any other reason they will not play? (they do play fine in itunes or VLC on a pc)
Thanks..
Old 09-24-2018, 08:57 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rdxny
I have many files on a usb stick, many play fine, but some do not. The ones that play are mostly .m4a (alaf I think), 128 kbps or 192 kbps. (and file sizes around 4 MB or 6 MB)
Most (if not all) of the ones that do not are also ,m4a but at 600-900 kbps bitrates, and correspondingly larger file sizes (20-30 MB).
Is there a limit to either bitrate or file size? and if so, what is the best way to downsize the files? If not, any other reason they will not play? (they do play fine in itunes or VLC on a pc)
Thanks..
I have some sporadic issues in general playing music from files on a USB flash drive. Sometimes if seems as if it has a problem reading the folder/file structure off the flash drive and shows zero content. The next time the car is driven it seems to read the folder/file structure correctly. I also have problems with playlists showing zero songs within the playlist and if I insert the USB drive into a PC and open the file with Notepad and do a "save as" with a different name, the system finds the songs in the playlist the next time I insert it into the USB port in the car. I later discard the original playlist because the car never can find the song entries again. Eventually the new playlist shows zero song entry files and I go through the drill again. It seems as if the system has trouble indexing the content of the USB drive and/or loses its ability to consistently read its indexing over time. Perhaps an update will correct this when one is released.

I am planning on sending this in as a comment via the Acura owner web site unless there is a better place to register these types of problems without having to take the time to go to the dealer who really end up doing the same thing.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
My biggest issue with USB is the damn high pitched noise and file failure. It seems to be getting worse for me.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
There are definitely big holes in this music interface to the car system. The squeals, the misreads, the failure to be able to "back up" in the file structure without going back to the root menu. This is clearly a rushed product portion of the car and they did not do enough testing with it.

The biggest issue is that no one will care if you try and report it. The dealer doesn't care or even understand, the ELS people can't do anything because it's not "their part" that's screwing up, and Acura Customer Service will pretend to listen and just write it off as a "radio problem".

We'll see over time if they get their shirt together.