New Map Update no longer free for me

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 11:26 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
New Map Update no longer free for me

I have a 2019 RDX bought new in June, 2018 and received an email on 12/13/2022 that a new map update is available. I followed the link in the email and learned that my updates are no longer free (I was expecting this to happen sooner or later). The fee quoted for a one year subscription is $119 and for 3 years $169. Talk about a hook to get you to go for 3 years. After thinking about this, I am not going for the subscription at least at this time. There just is not enough map changes occurring over the next year to justify the fee. I would guess some roundabouts might be added and streets in new developments would be about it over a year. Perhaps if I keep the car long enough, I might do a one year subscription in 3 years and pick up updates over a 3 year period for the price of one year's subscription. Actually I use the navigation apps via CarPlay quite a bit so that makes the decision to not go with the Acura update more compelling.
The following users liked this post:
Mark S Long Island (12-15-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,737 Likes on 6,740 Posts
I wouldn't... CarPlay / Waze is superior
amcobra (12-15-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 01:30 PM
Touring

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by gtssenior
I have a 2019 RDX bought new in June, 2018 and received an email on 12/13/2022 that a new map update is available. I followed the link in the email and learned that my updates are no longer free (I was expecting this to happen sooner or later). The fee quoted for a one year subscription is $119 and for 3 years $169. Talk about a hook to get you to go for 3 years. After thinking about this, I am not going for the subscription at least at this time. There just is not enough map changes occurring over the next year to justify the fee. I would guess some roundabouts might be added and streets in new developments would be about it over a year. Perhaps if I keep the car long enough, I might do a one year subscription in 3 years and pick up updates over a 3 year period for the price of one year's subscription. Actually I use the navigation apps via CarPlay quite a bit so that makes the decision to not go with the Acura update more compelling.
Probably a smart move. Mine is still free or I wouldn't have done it. Use Android Auto when traveling any distance at all.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:59 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Agree. I think one of the last BMW's we had that still used a DVD disk for nav....or whatever it was, and was something like $300+ to get the new nav DVD. Of course, that was then (really no alternatives to speak of) and this is now. I don't know how other car makers treat this, but in the era of free (mostly) nav apps on your phone, it's hard to justify paying for these Acura (HERE) updates.In 4 years, the number of times we have used the Acuras nav is close to zero. We were looking at MB GLC's recently, and I think built-in nav was an option, while also having Car Play access. At the time I thought it was odd, but would say now makes a lot of sense. Optional nav would be fine, as would an optional sunroof...would rather not have and not pay for items I don't need.
Old 12-15-2022, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Fully Agree; not worth the Money

I had tried a couple of times in the Spring of 2022 to get new map into navigation system but after several hours it did not work. I tried it 2x’s & neither worked. I’ll stick with Google or Waze on my phone with Car Play. It’s free & updated very often.

Last edited by Mark S Long Island; 12-15-2022 at 03:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark S Long Island:
EFR (12-15-2022), markm929 (12-16-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 05:46 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
I too have a 2019, I put my vin in and it told me I have free updates until 2024.
Then it started downloading. Now I have to wait three hours.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:09 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Funz51
I too have a 2019, I put my vin in and it told me I have free updates until 2024.
Then it started downloading. Now I have to wait three hours.
Good for you if you plan to use it. My map subscription expired in 2022 as my post indicated for my 2019 RDX bought new. I am not going to follow up with HERE/Acura because I use other navigation apps via CarPlay most of the time.
Old 12-17-2022, 07:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I’ve been updating my map for 3 years, but then I realized that I have not been using it for direction even once, always carplay.

the updates dont do anything useful, I was hoping to get correct speed limits, but even with the last update they are not correct on some of the roads in my area which have been around for dozens of years. I really dont know if updates have anything useful, maybe they are updating new restaurants and other crap. Useless.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:36 AM
Touring

Originally Posted by russianDude
I’ve been updating my map for 3 years, but then I realized that I have not been using it for direction even once, always carplay.

the updates dont do anything useful, I was hoping to get correct speed limits, but even with the last update they are not correct on some of the roads in my area which have been around for dozens of years. I really dont know if updates have anything useful, maybe they are updating new restaurants and other crap. Useless.
About the only reasons I do it is that it's free and it keeps the car current. Otherwise, not worth it. I've used it a total of one time.
Nothing is completely useless. It can always be used as a bad example.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by jcross1231
About the only reasons I do it is that it's free and it keeps the car current. Otherwise, not worth it. I've used it a total of one time.
Nothing is completely useless. It can always be used as a bad example.
The only useful thing is the speedlimits which car pulls from the maps, but to my surprise, they are wrong on number of roads even with latest updates. Somehow google maps always has the right speed limit (extremely rare when its wrong)
Old 12-19-2022, 10:18 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
The only useful thing is the speedlimits which car pulls from the maps, but to my surprise, they are wrong on number of roads even with latest updates. Somehow google maps always has the right speed limit (extremely rare when its wrong)
And some that were right previously are now wrong. Horrible product all around.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:58 PM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
I got the invite but have used CarPlay exclusively since purchasing r the 2019. CarPlay maps have gotten me all over the center of the country as well as around the metro Phoenix area.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
In my experience, Acura nav is superior for 2 reasons:
  1. Traffic is actually more accurate
  2. Turning notifications on HUD (with beautiful count-down bar)_
Old 01-01-2023, 03:32 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by markm929
And some that were right previously are now wrong. Horrible product all around.
I like it but definitely agree and use Waze.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:16 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
What's most infuriating about this is I paid $99 for a Garmin Nuvi like 10 years ago and it came with lifetime updates. Pay $50,000 for a luxury vehicle and they soak you.

Not to mention, in my 2019, I have to plug in my phone to use Android Auto or Waze. I can't be bothered to plug in my phone every time I get in the car, so I hardly ever use either of those. And I hardly ever not already know where I'm going anyway.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:48 PM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
I have a dongle in my USB that does Apple CarPlay wirelessly, through a Bluetooth connection. It takes a bit of time to initialize, but has worked really well for the past year at least.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:30 AM
Touring

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Not to mention, in my 2019, I have to plug in my phone to use Android Auto or Waze. I can't be bothered to plug in my phone every time I get in the car, so I hardly ever use either of those. And I hardly ever not already know where I'm going anyway.
Not to mention you'll wear out the power connector on your phone. Try this:
https://motorolasound.com/audio-prod...droid-auto/ma1
NBPDC505 (03-20-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 07:53 PM
Jmar

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Nav System Manual

Took delivery of a 2023 Aspec Advance last week. Loving it. I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I'm posting to the wrong thread. My question: The 700 page Owner's Manuel makes brief mention of the embedded nav system, referring the owner to the nav system manual. Problem is, I didn't receive one. My salesman said no printed copy of a nav system manual is provided by Acura; that it would have to be viewed on line at an Acura website. Is this correct or is he misinformed, or worse, lying? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:24 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by Jmar55
Took delivery of a 2023 Aspec Advance last week. Loving it. I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I'm posting to the wrong thread. My question: The 700 page Owner's Manuel makes brief mention of the embedded nav system, referring the owner to the nav system manual. Problem is, I didn't receive one. My salesman said no printed copy of a nav system manual is provided by Acura; that it would have to be viewed on line at an Acura website. Is this correct or is he misinformed, or worse, lying? Thanks.
You should be able to go to owners.acura.com and enter the VIN, then navigate to the owners manuals. The owners manual and navigation manual are on that page.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:47 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmar55
I don't know about the 23's but we received a printed copy of the nav manual with our 2020 Advance.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:37 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by GW208
I don't know about the 23's but we received a printed copy of the nav manual with our 2020 Advance.
My 2019 only came with the "Owner's Guide". You used to be able to order the printed Owner's Manual and Navigation Manual. And they were FREE. I don't know if they still offer that.

I don't even remember what I did with them because I've never used them. I only use the PDFs on my phone and laptop.
TheLevelOne (03-24-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 08:03 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree that the nav system upgrade doesn't make sense anymore. Crowdsourced information like location of police and such probably won't ever be duplicated on a manufacturer's system.

The only thing that I miss about the old DVD version is that, at least with my Honda Pilot, I was able to modify the disc information to change the startup screen to a custom picture and then burn that DVD to use. That was nice while it lasted.