Infotainment System Locked Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 08:33 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Infotainment System Locked Up

So after work last evening, I climbed into my new RDX and the Infotainment system is showing a blank screen. After stopping and starting the car a few times, the display still would not appear. I drove home and after getting to my driveway, I stopped, turned off the engine and then turned it back on and the camera display came up when I placed the vehicle into reverse. After pulling forward, the Disclaimer screen came up and the display froze completely. Even after turning off the vehicle to go inside, it remained on. I notified my dealer and we tried a few things, but nothing worked. It was very hot in Kansas City yesterday and when I started my vehicle in the afternoon, the temperature inside the vehicle showed 120 degrees (I had the windows even cracked).

Now the great part of this story is my sales representative was afraid that if the display stayed on it may drain my battery, so he drove nearly 40 miles to my house to bring me a loaner vehicle so he could take mine in to see what may be wrong. Now that is service!

Just FYI that I probably could have disconnected the battery, but that would not have possibly resolved why it happened in the first place.

I will keep you all updated and I don't know if it is heat related or not.
The following users liked this post:
Padre Dave (11-05-2019)
Old 06-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
So after work last evening, I climbed into my new RDX and the Infotainment system is showing a blank screen. After stopping and starting the car a few times, the display still would not appear. I drove home and after getting to my driveway, I stopped, turned off the engine and then turned it back on and the camera display came up when I placed the vehicle into reverse. After pulling forward, the Disclaimer screen came up and the display froze completely. Even after turning off the vehicle to go inside, it remained on. I notified my dealer and we tried a few things, but nothing worked. It was very hot in Kansas City yesterday and when I started my vehicle in the afternoon, the temperature inside the vehicle showed 120 degrees (I had the windows even cracked).

Now the great part of this story is my sales representative was afraid that if the display stayed on it may drain my battery, so he drove nearly 40 miles to my house to bring me a loaner vehicle so he could take mine in to see what may be wrong. Now that is service!

Just FYI that I probably could have disconnected the battery, but that would not have possibly resolved why it happened in the first place.

Did you try to press and hold the power button to restart the system? I’m curious if this works.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:59 AM
Racer

I also noticed multiple temperature warnings for cameras etc in the manual. I took it as CYA material but this is definitely concerning.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Fury63

Did you try to press and hold the power button to restart the system? I’m curious if this works.
Yes and this did not work. I also tried going into ACC mode and this also did not resolve the issue
Old 06-29-2018, 09:36 AM
Racer

I also noticed multiple temperature warnings for cameras etc in the manual. I took it as CYA material but this is definitely concerning.
Very concerning as since they moved the infotainment system to on top of the dash, the back of the display is exposed to the sun. Even if it wasn't a hot day, it would be hot based on the sun rays being amplified by the windshield.

I am still awaiting a phone call from the dealer, so I will let everyone know what they say.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
All automakers do extensive climate testing of components, including electronics, for several years before a new feature debuts. Extreme heat and cold are killers of electronics; that is why the warnings are given. It’s not really CYA, it’s just a heads up to the consumers who should already know about the dangers of leaving expensive electronic devices in vehicles.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexorg

All automakers do extensive climate testing of components, including electronics, for several years before a new feature debuts. Extreme heat and cold are killers of electronics; that is why the warnings are given. It’s not really CYA, it’s just a heads up to the consumers who should already know about the dangers of leaving expensive electronic devices in vehicles.

That being said, very concerning. The cabin temp might be high but with the screen propped up, the surface getting sunlight might be even hotter!
absolutely just CYA. car manufacturers wouldnt care less if we got our iPhones melted but they would if we start suing (re: infamous McD hot coffee suit) in which they can then said “its in the manual”

that being said, this is very concerning. The cabin temp might be hot but the surface where direct sun hits maybe even hotter. With the screen propped up, this might be a huge issue

Last edited by acuraada; 06-29-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:52 PM
Racer

Just a quick note to say I heard from my dealer and they said the system is functioning again after performing a number of resets that are not publicized. My problem was also entered into the nationwide Acura database in case anyone else experiences this issue. It could lead to upgrades and/or replacement if the system is recalled due to this issue.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Racer

Just a quick note to say I heard from my dealer and they said the system is functioning again after performing a number of resets that are not publicized. My problem was also entered into the nationwide Acura database in case anyone else experiences this issue. It could lead to upgrades and/or replacement if the system is recalled due to this issue.
Thanks for the update! I knew there would be issues. My hope is Acura supports this generation well.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
I am glad they resolved your issue and it sounded like GREAT customer service.

Hopefully it is just a fluke problem.

Billy
Old 06-29-2018, 02:58 PM
Racer

Agreed on the great customer service. The bar has been set!
Old 06-29-2018, 03:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by billyt1963
I am glad they resolved your issue and it sounded like GREAT customer service.

Hopefully it is just a fluke problem.

Billy
Absolutely amazing.. Of course I had heard that from other people when it came down to deciding between Volvo and Acura. As much as I liked the Volvo, the dealership that I spoke with was less than cheerful and helpful when I had inquiries. The first time I walked through the door of the Acura dealer, I was blown away by the customer service before, during and now after the sale. I had good service with Mazda for years, but the way this issue has been handled is top notch in my book and I am overly impressed.

By the way, this is Jay Wolfe Acura I am speaking of in Kansas City
Padre Dave (11-05-2019)
Old 06-29-2018, 06:47 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
I do worry about the heat. Fortunately for me i have a garage and since I am in the car more than I’m out of the car, it won’t be sitting in the sun for hours and hours (unless I’m golfing lol) so I don’t expect to melt anything.

I would feel better if the lock up was due to a glitch versus the heat because glitches can be fixed but if things are properly heat shielded and electrical components become unsoldered then that’s a major problem. But since I’ve left my Garmin in my dash for years and never have had an issue I would assume that the acura info screen is well protected like the Garmin.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:01 PM
Racer

I went back through the manual and the heat references I found were regarding the cameras. Still a bit concerning especially if you live in the SW.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Racer

Just wanted to let everyone know that Acura now has this issue noted in their system. They said it may be because I left my thumb drive in the USB port on the really hot day and it overheated and locked the system. Just to be safe I removed it until I really need to access my music.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for getting back with info.

I have an IT background and I don’t buy this one bit. Even if it’s true, this means their system is somehow reading USB content at start up and does not have a mechanism to bypass a faulty accessories. This indicates a firmware (not Android) issue which is probably even worse.

Eitherway, this RCA (if indeed accurate) is simply a how the locked up happen but not why and provides only a mitigation not a true resolution.

Unless the USB has melted and gotten the metal contact crossed, external device impacting boot start is a big no no in system design. This needs to be fixed.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by acuraada
Thanks for getting back with info.

I have an IT background and I don’t buy this one bit. Even if it’s true, this means their system is somehow reading USB content at start up and does not have a mechanism to bypass a faulty accessories. This indicates a firmware (not Android) issue which is probably even worse.

Eitherway, this RCA (if indeed accurate) is simply a how the locked up happen but not why and provides only a mitigation not a true resolution.

Unless the USB has melted and gotten the metal contact crossed, external device impacting boot start is a big no no in system design. This needs to be fixed.

I agree with you about this and there is nothing wrong with the USB thumb drive and it still plays perfectly with no issues.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:45 AM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Inside Temp?

How did you get the inside temp details? I have not seen anything that shows the temp inside the car.... Just curious!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dalonzi
How did you get the inside temp details? I have not seen anything that shows the temp inside the car.... Just curious!
Acuralink App on my phone.. When you select "Start Engine" it will show the current inside temperature of the vehicle
Old 07-14-2018, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
I have an IT background and I don’t buy this one bit. Even if it’s true, this means their system is somehow reading USB content at start up and does not have a mechanism to bypass a faulty accessories. This indicates a firmware (not Android) issue which is probably even worse...
A bit late to this discussion but I'll donate my 2 cents anyhow.

I too have an IT background (>35 years, including writing H/W interface drivers) and have seen enough weird things happen due to environmental factors to tell me it is a plausible cause. Heat could easily cause the F/W and/or H/W in the flash drive (and they do have embedded F/W) to do strange things. The most logical scenario that immediately comes to mind would be the head unit 'sees' the USB device and asks it to identify itself and is waiting for a response and none is forthcoming thus it waits. This would happen long before any attempt to actually read the data from the drive.

The owner's manual also contains a warning that iPods and flash drives should not be left plugged in due to sunlight and high temperature issues.
ssjoeboe9 (08-09-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
A bit late to this discussion but I'll donate my 2 cents anyhow.

I too have an IT background (>35 years, including writing H/W interface drivers) and have seen enough weird things happen due to environmental factors to tell me it is a plausible cause. Heat could easily cause the F/W and/or H/W in the flash drive (and they do have embedded F/W) to do strange things. The most logical scenario that immediately comes to mind would be the head unit 'sees' the USB device and asks it to identify itself and is waiting for a response and none is forthcoming thus it waits. This would happen long before any attempt to actually read the data from the drive.

The owner's manual also contains a warning that iPods and flash drives should not be left plugged in due to sunlight and high temperature issues.
Yes, that’s most likely what’s going on with the USB. The point is that the system shouldn’t be waiting for a broken response. There should be a time out and appropriate exit conditions to move pass any external peripherals. Imagine you couldn’t boot your PC because you have a half broken mouse or keyboard. Doesn’t make any sense. If true, that’s just poor programming
Old 07-14-2018, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts

Yes, that’s most likely what’s going on with the USB.......Doesn’t make any sense. If true, that’s just poor programming
The hang could be occurring at the H/W level before any S/W or F/W comes into play.

In the scenario being discussed, it's an external USB device so there is also a USB controller doing the 'handshake' during power up. If that's where the issue emanates (and, based on information in this thread, it appears that way to me) no amount of programming will be able to address it since it is happening at the H/W level before any head unit S/W or F/W is executed.

These are the types of issues that made my IT career both interesting and frustrating at the same time. ,... and why I never looked back after retiring.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that Acura now has this issue noted in their system. They said it may be because I left my thumb drive in the USB port on the really hot day and it overheated and locked the system. Just to be safe I removed it until I really need to access my music.
Oddly enough today after my car was parked on the roof level of a parking garage for about 4 hours in the sun, I got in, fired it up and started off. My radar detector (which connects to the WiFi Hotspot) indicated that the Hotspot was down. I attempted to start it and it would not start. I then noticed that my iPhone did not connect to the car, as there were no notification icon on the car screen, and I could not make a call from the car. I pulled over after a bit, turned off the car, but did NOT open the door. No change. Later after driving along I pulled over again, turned off the car, this time I opened the door (shutting the system off), restarted and everything worked.

I did have a USB stick in the slot when I parked.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:11 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
So after work last evening, I climbed into my new RDX and the Infotainment system is showing a blank screen. After stopping and starting the car a few times, the display still would not appear. I drove home and after getting to my driveway, I stopped, turned off the engine and then turned it back on and the camera display came up when I placed the vehicle into reverse. After pulling forward, the Disclaimer screen came up and the display froze completely. Even after turning off the vehicle to go inside, it remained on.
i had the system freeze on the disclaimer screen today. It was not real hot outside, just low 80s. It was after I had started the car remotely using the app. Since it was Sunday and customer service is closed, I tried to contact AcuraLink support using the AcuraLink button in the car. Kept getting disconnected. Finally gave up.

I pulled the audio fuse in the larger under dash fuse box (3rd fuse from upper right corner). That did the trick. All my settings were still there. Taking it in to dealer tomorrow to have the system checked out.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

with all the issues various forum members have reported on the infotainment system, I'm surprised Acura hasn't made a service video on it.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DrWoo

i had the system freeze on the disclaimer screen today. It was not real hot outside, just low 80s. It was after I had started the car remotely using the app. Since it was Sunday and customer service is closed, I tried to contact AcuraLink support using the AcuraLink button in the car. Kept getting disconnected. Finally gave up.

I pulled the audio fuse in the larger under dash fuse box (3rd fuse from upper right corner). That did the trick. All my settings were still there. Taking it in to dealer tomorrow to have the system checked out.
Stopping the car, opening the door and restarting didn’t fix it? You had to resort to pulling the fuse?
Old 07-23-2018, 11:47 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Stopping the car, opening the door and restarting didn’t fix it? You had to resort to pulling the fuse?
tried everything. Shut off, got out and locked doors. Started again with the app. Parked in a rest area and let it set for 10 min. Tried holding power buttons down. 5 calls using the useless Acuralink button. There must be some trick to resetting the system. I have an appointment tomorrow to get it checked out.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DrWoo

tried everything. Shut off, got out and locked doors. Started again with the app. Parked in a rest area and let it set for 10 min. Tried holding power buttons down. 5 calls using the useless Acuralink button. There must be some trick to resetting the system. I have an appointment tomorrow to get it checked out.
Let us know what they say.. When mine happened, it was reported to the Acura Technology team, but I have not heard anything back about any kind of fix in the works
Old 08-09-2018, 10:44 AM
First and last Acura.done

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine too

My system locked up this morning too.Even the time froze and I couldn’t turn down the radio or make calls through the car to resolve the problem. Let us know if you get a fix or response from Acura.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:33 AM
cpd
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So this just happened to me last night under near identical circumstances. I used the app to start my RDX at work. It was only 81 degrees outside so not too hot (if heat is the issue then this system is not designed to withstand normal heat ranges inside a parked vehicle). The only difference is I did not have a USB drive in the slot. I had an iphone cable plugged in but I don't recall whether I had plugged my phone in yet before I depressed the brake and pressed the start button.

Anyway, the system never responded - blank screen and I couldn't get it on. Power buttons didn't work. Shutting down and restarting the engine didn't work. Doing the same and exiting and locking didn't work. So I drove home and during the ride I pressed the camera button and the cameras came on and then the blue disclaimer screen came on. I could press the camera button (on the wiper stalk, not on the touchpad) to toggle between the two modes and the blue disclaimer screen. Shutting down the car after that point would not shut the screen down. So I left it at the dealer with the screen on and they are looking at it today.

Meto - did yours ever act up again?

Somewhat off topic - I tried to plug my phone into the USB port in the open area below the shifter because the one in the console wasn't providing a charge. That USB port was apparently never fastened by the factory so when I tried to connect my cable it pushed the entire port into the cavity which now has to be taken apart and fixed.

That and a few other bugs have me frustrated right now.
firstacura19 (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cpd
So this just happened to me last night under near identical circumstances. I used the app to start my RDX at work. It was only 81 degrees outside so not too hot (if heat is the issue then this system is not designed to withstand normal heat ranges inside a parked vehicle). The only difference is I did not have a USB drive in the slot. I had an iphone cable plugged in but I don't recall whether I had plugged my phone in yet before I depressed the brake and pressed the start button.

Anyway, the system never responded - blank screen and I couldn't get it on. Power buttons didn't work. Shutting down and restarting the engine didn't work. Doing the same and exiting and locking didn't work. So I drove home and during the ride I pressed the camera button and the cameras came on and then the blue disclaimer screen came on. I could press the camera button (on the wiper stalk, not on the touchpad) to toggle between the two modes and the blue disclaimer screen. Shutting down the car after that point would not shut the screen down. So I left it at the dealer with the screen on and they are looking at it today.

Meto - did yours ever act up again?

Somewhat off topic - I tried to plug my phone into the USB port in the open area below the shifter because the one in the console wasn't providing a charge. That USB port was apparently never fastened by the factory so when I tried to connect my cable it pushed the entire port into the cavity which now has to be taken apart and fixed.

That and a few other bugs have me frustrated right now.
It has never locked up on me again, but has shut off while driving or I have had "No audio connection" pop-up. I have a trip to Chicago next week and my dealer wanted to bring my vehicle in for service, but I don't think it is going to happen. I will make a lot of notes on that trip for sure.
cpd (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:35 PM
cpd
Cruisin'

I called Acura customer care this morning to report the issue myself and to ask them to look into it since it is not a single occurrence. They opened a case but the representatives response was basically, "just because you read something on the internet doesn't mean its an issue. If it impacts enough of our customers as reported by dealers then we will look into it."

He then put me on hold and came back with a different attitude saying he was passing my case on to the new product groups. Perhaps this means they are already working on a solution. I hope so because I just got a call from my dealer. They disconnected the battery and reconnected it but have no idea what happened. Their theory is that they simply having a usb cable plugged in could be causing the problem and suggested that I unplug the cable from the port every time I leave the car.
firstacura19 (08-13-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cpd
I called Acura customer care this morning to report the issue myself and to ask them to look into it since it is not a single occurrence. They opened a case but the representatives response was basically, "just because you read something on the internet doesn't mean its an issue. If it impacts enough of our customers as reported by dealers then we will look into it."

He then put me on hold and came back with a different attitude saying he was passing my case on to the new product groups. Perhaps this means they are already working on a solution. I hope so because I just got a call from my dealer. They disconnected the battery and reconnected it but have no idea what happened. Their theory is that they simply having a usb cable plugged in could be causing the problem and suggested that I unplug the cable from the port every time I leave the car.
This is what they told me and I was dumbfounded... In my old vehicle, I had a Pioneer head unit with Android Auto and had 2 USB devices plugged in 24/7 and never had an issue.

This is just inexcusable
Old 08-10-2018, 03:03 PM
cpd
Cruisin'

This is what they told me and I was dumbfounded... In my old vehicle, I had a Pioneer head unit with Android Auto and had 2 USB devices plugged in 24/7 and never had an issue.

This is just inexcusable
And not just a USB device. They were suggesting I not even leave a phone cord plugged into the port - regardless whether my phone was connected. At least the dealer rep laughed with me and acknowledged that solution is ridiculous.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

That’s the excuse they will go with until they have a resolution.

I think they know what the issue is but they are figuring out what the most economical way of fixing it. My money is on hardware rather than software.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. My dealer attempted several "soft" Acura-suggested repairs with no success. Acura finally approved an expensive hardware replacement -- can't read the repair sheet codes but it was described as the infotainment motherboard. Too soon to tell if its a long-term fix, but we're hopeful.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:33 PM
3rd Gear

Meto, I’m having the same screen lock issue and it does drain the battery. It only happens when using the Acuralink to start the RDX, but not every time. dealership has no clue and said there’s no information from Acura related to this problem. Can you tell me what dealership handled you problem? Also has it reoccurred with your 2019RDX? Thank you!
Old 12-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hawkeyecf
Meto, I’m having the same screen lock issue and it does drain the battery. It only happens when using the Acuralink to start the RDX, but not every time. dealership has no clue and said there’s no information from Acura related to this problem. Can you tell me what dealership handled you problem? Also has it reoccurred with your 2019RDX? Thank you!
Jay Wolfe in Kansas City, but the only thing they did was replace the unit itself which opened up more problems. I hope the system update fixes some things, but I am not counting on it
Old 03-25-2019, 05:37 PM
3rd Gear

RDX Blue Screen of Death

I have had my ‘19 RDX in the shop three times now for the frozen infotainment screen. The 1st time they reset the system and said it was fixed. The 2nd time, they said that Acura was aware of the problem and I should take it in to have it reset and update the software. They said that the new software had a patch that would fix the screen from freezing. The 3rd time it happened yesterday morning (Sunday) and the dealership service department was closed. By the next day, Monday, the battery had died. I called Acura and they gave me a case number and sent AAA out to jump start my car. AAA said that this wasn’t the first time that they had to do this for the ‘19 RDX. Does anyone here know if Acura is actually going to fix this problem?

Originally Posted by Hawkeyecf
Old 03-25-2019, 06:20 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Learn the 'three finger reboot'. You might have to do it twice.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post16395604

Quick Reply: Infotainment System Locked Up